Thomas Davis will play for Panthers or no one

Davis AP

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis has had a long and at times rough ride with the team.  But when the ride in Carolina ends, that’ll be it for Davis.

“If I’m going to play football and represent an organization, it’s going to be with the team that stuck beside me and never gave up on me,” Davis said this week, via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer.  “My mindset right now is, I’m going to play for the Carolina Panthers or I’m done playing football.”

This means that Davis would have retired if the Panthers hadn’t picked up two option years after a great 2013 season.

“It was up to them to make the decision whether they wanted to keep me around,” Davis said.  “And fortunately enough for me I played well enough for them to bring me back.”

Davis, following three ACL tears in the same knee between 2009 and 2011, shed a knee brace in practice this offseason.  Coach Ron Rivera noticed that Davis is faster without it.  But that doesn’t mean Rivera likes it.

“I’d rather see him practice with it on,” Rivera said, via Jones.  “Thank you for reminding me.  He’s going to get in trouble with me.”

Davis won’t be getting in trouble with the head coach over his Panthers-or-no-one position.

“You try to build is loyalty and trust, and along the way you develop a relationship,” Rivera said.  “You have to be honest and you have to stay with it.  For the commitment T.D. has made to this team, I didn’t think it’d be right to cast him aside.”

Moving forward, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Panthers will do what other teams surely would do once knowing that a player wouldn’t go elsewhere — squeeze the player financially knowing that they’ll never have to see him suiting up for someone else.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Thomas Davis will play for Panthers or no one”
  1. vikesr4reel says: Jun 29, 2014 8:27 AM

Sorry people but Cam is a Sham…
    Highly overrated
    We are lucky to have three starting QB’s on one team!!
    It’s just who do we want to start!!

2. cropslx says: Jun 29, 2014 8:59 AM

One of my favorite Panther players! ALWAYS a class act on and off the field!! GREAT football player, but better person!! Everyone can learn something from TD. Wishing you a great and healthy year….GO PANTHERS!!

3. madenatewell says: Jun 29, 2014 9:12 AM

Mike Rucker, Mike Minter, Chris Gamble, Jordan Gross and now Thomas Davis. Those are pretty good players that never wanted to play for someone else…as a panthers fan, that makes me feel good about the front office reigns of the franchise, Hurney and Gettlemen alike

4. willnit says: Jun 29, 2014 9:20 AM

My mindset RIGHT NOW is…..

5. saints12013 says: Jun 29, 2014 9:53 AM

I agree, Thomas Davis is a class act and a very good competitor who never gave up. Its just a shame he can’t play WR or O-Line.

6. smackingfools says: Jun 29, 2014 9:59 AM

That’s respectable. But never forget. The second you can’t help the team or even get what they feel is to old. You’re gone. These teams couldn’t care less for you in the NFL.

7. bucsorbust says: Jun 29, 2014 10:08 AM

I guess I’m confused by the title. “The Panthers or No One.” Confusing because the Panthers ARE No One.

8. pantherpablo says: Jun 29, 2014 10:11 AM

He would’ve gotten NFL Comeback Player of the Year 2 seasons ago if it weren’t for Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning having historical seasons

9. fabquarrymen says: Jun 29, 2014 10:31 AM

Loyalty is something that is no longer visible in sports. Players follow the money almost all the time. It’s great to hear a player talk about loyalty and appreciation for a team that stuck by him. Thanks, Thomas, for being a great player and someone that recognizes how much the Panthers want you to stay…GO PANTHERS!!!!

10. d12f6m says: Jun 29, 2014 11:00 AM

Not every team are disloyal to the players. The Panthers could of ditch TD when he had his second ACL tear. They chose to pay him to rehab and reaped the benefits of a loyal player. Everyone wins. You can say a lot of things about the Panthers, but they are loyal to a fault with their players.

11. nfloracle says: Jun 29, 2014 11:13 AM

“You try to build is loyalty and trust, and along the way you develop a relationship,” Rivera said. “You have to be honest and you have to stay with it.”

An interesting comment, especially when viewed in light of letting Steve Smith go. I’d sure like to know the real story on why Smith is now a Raven instead of finishing his great career as a Panther.

12. pantherpablo says: Jun 29, 2014 1:32 PM

“You can say a lot of things about the Panthers, but they are loyal to a fault with their players.”

——————————-

Exactly. Just look at contract extensions for guys like Beason, Stewart and Deangelo as proof.

Luckily Gettleman is slowly but surely digging us out of Hurney’s cap mess.

13. phluffyclouds says: Jun 29, 2014 4:37 PM

TD is the man. A true Carolina Panther.

14. qdog112 says: Jun 29, 2014 4:41 PM

“For the commitment T.D. has made to this team, I didn’t think it’d be right to cast him aside.”
    ********
    The good thing is that Davis sacrificed his future quality of life for the Panthers, had severe and unprecedented injuries that he overcame. The bad news is that his GM has not shown the capacity to give damn about loyal players. He does however, have no problem demanding salary cuts from them all.

Davis is so valuable that if goes down, the defense will take a huge hit.

15. ncarolinarn7 says: Jun 29, 2014 5:59 PM

I hope Carolina has more class than that. We aren’t NJ, CA, or NY.

16. ncboyd says: Jun 29, 2014 9:54 PM

I met TD when he was a rookie. He’s been through a lot and still plays hard. Class act.

17. jgedgar70 says: Jun 30, 2014 9:03 AM

qdog112 says:
    Jun 29, 2014 4:41 PM
    _____
    If that is the case, why did the GM pick up both of the option years? Also, did you not notice how badly the last GM overpaid DeAngelo, Stewart, Beason and Charles Johnson?

TD is still an elite football player and a great man. It was a no-brainer to keep him, and I’m glad he is going to be a career Panther.