Chad Johnson calls his return to football “a joy”

Chad

For decades, the CFL has served as a periodic curiosity for Americans.  At one point, the Canadian equivalent of the NFL invaded the contiguous 48, with a quintent U.S. teams including the short-lived “Baltimore CFL Colts.”

The NFL revved up the litigation engine, and the “CFL Colts” became the “Baltimore Football Club” in 1994 and the “Baltimore Stallions” in 1995, the year they won the Grey Cup.  Then, the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens and the Stallions vacated the country, with the franchise moving back to Montreal and resurrecting the Alouettes.

The Alouettes have renewed relevance to American football fans again because former NFL receiver Chad Johnson/Ochocinco/Johnson has joined Montreal after two seasons out of football.  He compared catching a single pass in a preseason game to losing his virginity (hopefully, the story of how he lost his virginity is a bit more interesting), and Chad caught only two passes in his regular-season debut.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com, which devoted an entire week to covering the CFL, talked to Johnson on the field after the game.

A joy,” Johnson told King regarding the experience.  “A joy.  That feeling, as a kid, you wake up on Christmas, the excitement.  I’m just thankful to have a chance to play again.  I didn’t care about catches, I didn’t care about the ball.  I mean, the feeling just being part of something again, being part of this organization. . . .  I mean, words really can’t describe how it felt, to lose something that I worked for all my life and have it snatched from me because of my irresponsibilities and my mistakes.  A lesson was learned.  Humbling experience.  I don’t know what to say.  It’s awesome.”

His performance wasn’t exactly awesome.  King points out that Johnson lined up split to the right, avoiding much of the pre-snap motion and maneuvering that, coupled with the 20-second play clock, makes playing receiver a “track meet,” as Johnson called it.  He got little help from former NFL quarterback and Heisman winner Troy Smith, who per King threw “wild pitches” and generally “looked inaccurate, and that’s putting it mildly.”

American interest in the CFL remains tepid, and that’s putting it mildly.  But with ESPN acquiring exclusive CFL broadcasting rights, there’s a chance the audience will be force fed more than Chris Berman’s perfunctory Grey Cup references in November.

It’s apparently working for soccer, largely because of the American angle.  So maybe the CFL should move a team or two back to the U.S.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Chad Johnson calls his return to football “a joy””
  1. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 30, 2014 1:10 PM

Is Vince Ferragamo still the quarterback?

2. freepretzels says: Jun 30, 2014 1:15 PM

Good for him. He made some bad decisions and he certainly paid for them, but at least he gets to play ball.

3. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 30, 2014 1:16 PM

Just build a new stadium in Detroit using the city name of Windsor (or vice versa), and call it a multinational partnership.

4. mwatts1 says: Jun 30, 2014 1:23 PM

Based off of the number of comments, it’s safe to say Chad Johnson is yesterday’s news.

5. missingsock215 says: Jun 30, 2014 1:24 PM

Ray Rice should be in this same position, but he isn’t.

6. abninf says: Jun 30, 2014 1:29 PM

What else is he going to do? He squeeked through high school unable to get into a major college because of his grades, I do not believe he has a college degree, the networks don’t want him, his reality show is gone, he blew his millions and is flat broke. Thumbs down will not change those facts.

7. ariani1985 says: Jun 30, 2014 1:34 PM

Come to Green Bay, you would easily be the #1 here!!!!

8. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 30, 2014 1:34 PM

Carson Palmer chose to retire rather than be forced to endure another season with chad ochojohnsoncinco and his annoying, cancerous locker room/on-field personality.

9. nyneal says: Jun 30, 2014 1:35 PM

I have two things to say: I can’t stand Chad Johnson and I can’t stand soccer. Other than that, I have nothing to say.

10. grabgrabgrab says: Jun 30, 2014 1:36 PM

Ochocinco is a has been, and that’s putting it mildly.

11. 1phd says: Jun 30, 2014 1:38 PM

Competition makes everyone better is the mantra of nearly every player and coach – that would undoubtably apply to some for the NFL. It’s been needed for a long time.

12. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 30, 2014 1:47 PM

Wait!!!

I thought it was ALLLLLLLL Carson Palmer’s fault.

13. kazcnad says: Jun 30, 2014 1:55 PM

“‘So maybe the CFL should move a team or two back to the U.S.”

I hear there may be a vacancy in Buffalo soon. They’re pretty much Canadian anyway. lol

14. TheDPR says: Jun 30, 2014 2:02 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the CFL game while it was in the USA. I happened to live in Shreveport at the time and even though our local team wasn’t very good, the style of play and the quirks in the rules made it a lot of fun to watch.

I think if they hadn’t come to the USA thinking they’d make hundreds (or even tens) of millions of American dollars, they could have succeeded. The management of the Shreveport team came into town as if they were doing us a favor and that didn’t sit well locally. They got off the ground poorly with ticket sales because of their attitude and because their team was bad.

If I recall the Baltimore team sold well but they were the only financial success in the entire debacle. Then when an American team won the Grey Cup, the Canadians freaked out and pulled out of the USA completely.

But done right, the league could find a niche here.

15. gmen32 says: Jun 30, 2014 2:21 PM

Although it is obvious that Chad’s best playing days are behind him, it is great to have him in the CFL. The CFL is an exciting game to watch, just don’t compare it to the NFL as there are a different set of rules which make the comparisons difficult. Expansion in the US could only be in the northern states which currently don’t have an NFL franchise close by.

16. brokebackbrees says: Jun 30, 2014 2:26 PM

Love me some Chad Johnson!!

17. steelcurtainn says: Jun 30, 2014 2:45 PM

I call Chad Johnson todays version of the Black and White television.

18. jjackwagon says: Jun 30, 2014 3:01 PM

Even at 85% of his former ability he is still 50% better than his opponents in the CFL.

19. bengalguy says: Jun 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Oh, i get it …..because Chad said Cincinnati was color TV and Pukesberg was B&W……he was 10 years off…..but he was correct. Pitt is old news

20. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jun 30, 2014 3:07 PM

I remember going to CFL games for the Colts/Stallions (they were still called the Colts the first year, just not officially). I was young at the time so I did not understand how different it was from the NFL.

How many other cities have won championships in the NFL, CFL, and USFL?

21. rodgersfeeblecollarbone says: Jun 30, 2014 3:09 PM

All the former decent players, like Clay Matthews and Rodgers, should go renew their careers in the North. Maybe they could be successful there. Doubt it, but anything is possible.

22. ragnarthemagnificent says: Jun 30, 2014 3:50 PM

CFL Rocks! They should put teams in North Dakota and Montana

23. dkalev says: Jun 30, 2014 5:41 PM

Well, that jersey does look nice…

24. gmen32 says: Jun 30, 2014 6:14 PM

“Even at 85% of his former ability he is still 50% better than his opponents in the CFL”.

As most people do, you underestimate the talent level of the CFL. He may be entertaining for the CFL fans, but by no means will he dominate.

25. mackie66 says: Jul 1, 2014 6:55 AM

Cant this guy just go away ???