Ike Taylor “still pissed” about pay cut

Taylor AP

When Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor agreed to accept a dramatically reduced salary for 2014, he seemed to clearly understand the modern economics of the game.

That doesn’t mean he likes it.

“I’m pissed off about it, still am pissed off about it and I’m going to be pissed off until the end of the season about it,” Taylor told Jim Rome on Monday regarding the $4.25 million pay cut Taylor accepted earlier this year.  “Did it hurt me?  Hell yeah.  Does it still hurt?  Yeah, it hurts, but hopefully I can go in and bounce back this year, do what I need to do on the field and we will see what happens after.”

Taylor doesn’t seem to realize it’s a matter of basic football business, with teams squeezing players to take less because they can.

“[W]hy me? Like, I didn’t show my loyalty?” Taylor said.  “I’ve been a good guy — not saying I’m flawless, I have my flaws, but you want to talk about a standup guy, who takes the blame even when he doesn’t have to.  You want to talk about a guy who’s going to come in in shape, not waiting to build up into shape when he gets to camp.  Or you want to talk about a guy who’s unselfish and puts his team before his family and friends, you want to talk about a guy who has loyalty, yeah it’s me.  It’s me you’re talking about. When you come to me and ask me for a pay cut, I’m like ‘Damn, out of all these people, you want to ask Ike.’”

But that loyalty and selflessness makes it easier to ask a guy like Ike Taylor to take a paycut, because the team knows his loyalty and selflessness will make him more likely to say yes in order to remain part of the team, especially since it’s unlikely anyone offered to pay Taylor as much or more than the Steelers will be paying.

Taylor said yes.  And he seemed to be happy about it at the time.  He wasn’t, and he isn’t.  And he won’t be — which could either prompt him to play even harder in 2014, or to be so upset about the pay cut that it becomes a distraction for him in 2014 and, ultimately, for the team.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
67 Responses to “Ike Taylor “still pissed” about pay cut”
  1. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jun 30, 2014 10:44 PM

As QBs sign more and more 100 mil contracts, the rest of the team will have to make up the difference unless the cap rises. It’s the way of the NFL, but I still think it sucks. I always felt that players should get a percentage of the cap based on their value and worth to their team. Remember that pie has to be cut into 53 slices.

2. chinahand11 says: Jun 30, 2014 10:44 PM

I would say Ike is not in a happy place.

3. ravens2xworldchamps says: Jun 30, 2014 10:46 PM

Webb is better

4. ravens2xworldchamps says: Jun 30, 2014 10:48 PM

Ike Taylor

14 interceptions since ’03

Horrible

5. hmmm71 says: Jun 30, 2014 10:51 PM

I understand he is upset, but HE AGREED to take the pay cut. If he doesn’t want a reduced paycheck, then either perform or refuse the reduced contract and try to sign with another team.

6. Dean Keaton says: Jun 30, 2014 11:00 PM

By saying “because they can,” what you are implying and trying to make people believe by phrasing it like that is that the teams have a better option and they are doing something that is wrong. Quite to the contrary, as good stewards of their business, they not only can, they SHOULD. If they can use that saved money to better the team elsewhere or find someone cheaper who can do the same job, or even make more profits as business owners. that is what they should do. There is a good possibility that Ike would have made less from another team if they had just cut him. Ultimately he is worth what the Steelers or someone else will pay him, and that is in this case the salary he is now under contract for in 2014.

7. smartbutlazy says: Jun 30, 2014 11:04 PM

You know, if players have problems with NFL contracts having all these team-outs in them, why aren’t they bitching at the NFLPA? Stand up together and insist on MLB style guaranties.

8. rationalfootballfan says: Jun 30, 2014 11:08 PM

Not sure how to feel about this, love all that Ike has done for the Steelers on and off the field, but he’s getting old and speed has never really has never been his strong suit. He chose to take the pay cut, and being verbal about his anger won’t solve anything. But I can’t be mad at the guy for feeling hurt after so many years together. Love ya Ike and let’s hope for a great 2014

9. riverhorsey says: Jun 30, 2014 11:11 PM

He puts the team before his family? He needs to check that.

10. gpenpilot says: Jun 30, 2014 11:11 PM

What do you expect Ike? No doubt, you did great thing throughout your years on the Steelers anyone watched you play last season saw you were missing a step. I think what the team is asking you to get paid is about fair.. if you have a big problem with it.. Show them your wrong. But corners usually don’t get a second wind at age 34.

11. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 30, 2014 11:15 PM

Brian Urlacher was furious when he ID’d the Bears as low-balling him. He overestimated his worth in the market – the Bears were offering more than the market would generally bear (lame pun aside).

James Harrison was angry when the Steelers came out with their 2013 offer — and later learned his services were more “financially” appreciated by Pittsburgh than anywhere else. Unfortunately, when he learned — that ship had sailed and he had a forgettable season in Cincy when he played in a system that made him a fish out of water.

Harrison will always be a legend – and he was truly missed in Pittsburgh by the locker room, coaches and fans. I hope we can get him back in pads for 2014 — but he (and we) lost 2013 because of an over-estimation of player worth.

Ike can choose to look at his glass as half-full or half-empty. I hope Ike chooses the former for his sake and that of his brothers and sisters in Steeler Nation (and that includes his teammates).

I love Ike – and have for a long time. He is right — Ike works his ass off, and is the epitome of the perfect teammate. I will always be a huge fan of Ike Taylor – and hope he can re-direct his energy in a way that is healthy for himself and those closest to him.

12. ravensrunthenfl says: Jun 30, 2014 11:22 PM

You steelers fans need to open your eyes and realize he’s done. The rest of the nfl realized this long ago. The man had an awful year. Pretty much every single game he was burnt at least twice or could have been, and there were some games (patriots, browns, lions, Vikings ), where the guy was just abused. The man can’t keep up with younger faster receivers. And this was a year where the patriots got to face the some of the worst qbs in the nfl (geno, dalton (twice), campbell(twice), jake locker, Manuel, Matt flynn). The only good qb he faced was bradyThis year hell have to face luck, brees, ryan, and flacco who will actually have weapons. Taylor is done.

13. tyschwab says: Jun 30, 2014 11:27 PM

He better be thankful he’s “still employed” at this point.

14. ravensrunthenfl says: Jun 30, 2014 11:42 PM

15. mshawn75 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:43 PM

Somehow, when the last CBA put in a “rookie wage scale”, the veterans totally got the wrong idea. They think this was a free pass to keep getting raises (and hang around longer), when they are past their prime. You had the choice Ike. Take less and play… or join just retire.

16. agc99 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:45 PM

He’s coming off a terrible year and should have been cut. This is probably the only team that will take him. Lucky to be getting paid. CUT HIM NOW.

17. newdayintampabay says: Jun 30, 2014 11:48 PM

I’d be pissed too. He deserves more than 2.75 million this year. It’s his fault he accepted it but regardless the steelers got the better end of that one.

18. Straight Cash Homie says: Jun 30, 2014 11:51 PM

Well Ike some people are pissed off about your play and that’s why you got the pay cut. As for loyalty, selflessness, and being a standup guy? Lol! You must be talking about someone else. For a guy who is loyal, unselfish, and stands up for his team you definitely don’t show any of that to the college that helped you get to the pros. Unless I missed something swag is not an official college or school. I guess that you’re still upset that Peanut got drafted higher than you and has had the better individual career than you. So keep on being pissed off Ike, I’m sure after you stink it up this season you will be begging to make the money you’re going to make this season.

19. dmretrogames says: Jun 30, 2014 11:58 PM

Steeler fans are still pissed about seeing you get lit up like the Olympic torch every weekend. So, we’re even.

20. softhelmet says: Jul 1, 2014 12:05 AM

This is why players holdout…

21. yojoemama says: Jul 1, 2014 12:16 AM

Maybe if he could catch a few more INTs that are lobbed right to him, then we wouldn’t be talking about a pay cut, but perhaps an extension.

22. granadafan says: Jul 1, 2014 12:38 AM

How come the Steelers didn’t honor the contract? This is why players should be able to demand raises after good seasons. Their careers are short enough.

23. vegaskid21 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:48 AM

My old man used to say,”it’s better to be pissed off than pissed on.” Look at it that way, Ike

24. pittsburghdamned says: Jul 1, 2014 12:55 AM

They should have come to terms on incentives like, say, $1 million for each interception that doesn’t bounce off of his chest.

25. wvrocks says: Jul 1, 2014 12:56 AM

Ike should shut up and feel fortunate to play one more year “if” he makes the team. His mouth may run him out of Pittsburg. Sounds like he is not too smart!

26. steelersfan975 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:59 AM

Go ahead and start drama Ike, you can just as easily be making nothing and be unemployed.

27. zombiefan1000 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:59 AM

Its a BUSINESS for these players, not a game. Seriously though, he has every right to be upset. He hasnt done anything to warrant that taking such a cut.

28. wvrocks says: Jul 1, 2014 1:01 AM

This is his 12th year. Ike is fortunate to still be playing when his skills are clearly in decline. He will be fortunate to play this year, and I would not be surprised to see him not make the final cuts.

29. tejguy says: Jul 1, 2014 1:02 AM

Always been a fan of Taylor but it goes to show that a guy like Revis has the right idea right now playing on yearly deals. As a fan it’s tough to watch but for a non-QB player nowadays, unless you are playing at an elite level year in and out, you shouldn’t expect any loyalty (long-term, gaurenteed contract) from the organization you play for, even for some of the elites (J Graham).

30. theflyingelvis says: Jul 1, 2014 1:09 AM

Hey, McDonald’s is always hiring.

31. magicmtndan says: Jul 1, 2014 1:22 AM

Ike Taylor has been outstanding during his years in Pittsburgh. He spent years covering the opponents’ best wideouts in man-to-man coverage and he did exceptionally well.

Could he have had a greater number of interceptions? Yes, if he could’ve caught the ball.

He’s done all he could for the Steelers but his skills declined last year and this may be his last year with the team.

He is appreciated for his work and effort. I hope he comes to grips with being paid for his performance (past), perceived skills (current year) and how the league treats and pays players.

32. don2074978 says: Jul 1, 2014 2:04 AM

I think he should be HAPPY not to be with Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson and others on the PFT’s 2014 All-Unemployed Team with his performance last year

33. defscottyb says: Jul 1, 2014 2:21 AM

Welcome to the Steelers, known for being notoriously cheap. Come to the Redskins where they pay their players.

34. clashpoint says: Jul 1, 2014 2:47 AM

He’s also says in that article that he’s seen what happened to other guys who didn’t take a pay cut and how it didn’t work out for them. After all, it happened to James Harrison just last season, where he’d have made more money taking the cut with the Steelers than from the contract he got with the Bengals.

It just sounds like Ike’s just using this to psych himself up to play better this season than he did last season. I hope it works, last year he got toasted more than a bag of campfire marshmallows.

35. flipola says: Jul 1, 2014 2:49 AM

He’s 34, and average at best. He accepted the pay cut, he had to realize this.

36. tavisteelersfan says: Jul 1, 2014 6:02 AM

Ike will play harder.
    The CBA has him cornered. Look around the league, a lot of veterans getting squeezed. Just read that Adrian Peterson is being squeezed, maybe the best player in football. Polka maul took a cut. No surprise Ike is pissed, a lot of these guys are.
    But Ike is a play harder and show them kind’ve guy. Not a distraction.

37. whinybabycarsonpalmer says: Jul 1, 2014 6:26 AM

I have a hard time feeling sorry for him when he’s pulling in “only $2.75 million.” He’s been in this league for 11 years so he’s no rookie. He knew what he was doing when he agreed to the pay cut to help keep the Steelers stay under the salary cap. No one, including the FO, his agent, or anyone else, forced him to sign. Is he a nice guy for helping them out – sure, but he still has no right to be pissed four months later.

38. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jul 1, 2014 6:42 AM

Problems like these make it easy for us fans to relate to the players. I know that I would also be pissed if I had to take a $4.25 million pay cut.

39. ravenswhat says: Jul 1, 2014 7:04 AM

NFL teams don’t honor contracts. It’s just another reason I have no problem with guys holding out after a few big years.

40. flaccodelic says: Jul 1, 2014 7:08 AM

Taylor intends to make all the teams that did him wrong suffer this season.

41. olcap says: Jul 1, 2014 7:22 AM

Ike, you can’t possibly think someone other than the Stealers would’ve paid you, do you?

42. daburgher says: Jul 1, 2014 7:30 AM

Ike should be happy he wasn’t but altogether

43. holeinone09 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:43 AM

Ike, you wouldn’t be in this position if you played better, and hopefully you know that. No other team would have likely paid you this much right now. You were downright awful in several games as I recall, seeming to be completely clueless in pass coverage. Do you think the Steelers would have cut your pay if you had a superior year? I like you, but you have to play better and stop moaning about something that is your fault.

If you want to be pissed off, be pissed off at yourself for your mediocre play last year.

44. fsstnotch says: Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM

Ike, you stunk it up last season… you’ve declined. You should count your blessings because they could have just as easily cut you. Teams don’t have loyalty, its all about the money!

45. latrobe21 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:52 AM

Ike, Steelers fans everywhere are “still pissed” at back-to-back 8-8 seasons. We appreciate everything you’ve done for the organization and city. But pay is based on performance, not being a “standup guy” or friends with someone in the organization.

46. ragnarthegreat says: Jul 1, 2014 8:08 AM

Well he had a contract where the Steelers agreed to pay him X amount for a set number of years. Then they threw it out and asked him to play for less or hit the road. Contracts in the NFL are not worth much after the first two years. That’s also the business side of football. Unfortunately teams need this kind of protection. Look at the players who get a big payday and stop performing (Albert Haynesworth ring a bell?). there was a movement a few years ago to make all contracts 2 years and binding. I wonder if that would work?

47. exiledinphilly says: Jul 1, 2014 8:26 AM

The Steelers have been more loyal than most teams when it comes to retaining veteran players, which is why they are now digging out of the salary cap mess they’ve been in. And unfortunately, Ike, you don’t get paid for loyalty — you get paid for performance. The market set your value based on mediocre play in recent years.

48. steelerben says: Jul 1, 2014 8:38 AM

“[W]hy me? Like, I didn’t show my loyalty?” Taylor said. “I’ve been a good guy — not saying I’m flawless, I have my flaws, but you want to talk about a standup guy, who takes the blame even when he doesn’t have to. You want to talk about a guy who’s going to come in in shape, not waiting to build up into shape when he gets to camp. Or you want to talk about a guy who’s unselfish and puts his team before his family and friends, you want to talk about a guy who has loyalty, yeah it’s me. It’s me you’re talking about.”

Not one mention of on field performance. Which is why they asked you to take a cut. The NFL isn’t going to pay you to be a good guy.

49. troy43mvp says: Jul 1, 2014 8:53 AM

He is being paid what he is worth. If he didn’t think so he would not have taken the pay cut. What you want and what you are worth are two different things Ike. It s a business that only allows teams to spend a certain amount. Pitt has always spent every cent of their cap allowance money (and then some). They are not cheap. They just want the most for their team. Got to respect that.

50. doubleogator says: Jul 1, 2014 9:07 AM

Can’t really blame him, 4.25 Million isn’t small change…

51. stillers213 says: Jul 1, 2014 9:10 AM

Dear Ike,

You agreed to it and that’s more than the level you played to last season. You would be better served to keep those thoughts to yourself to avoid looking foolish. Ike, I love Shazier, but you’re starting to make me regret that the team didn’t draft a CB in the 1st round.

Signed,

Lifelong Stiller fan

52. stillers213 says: Jul 1, 2014 9:13 AM

“It’s me you’re talking about. When you come to me and ask me for a pay cut, I’m like ‘Damn, out of all these people, you want to ask Ike.’”

When exactly did people start referring to themselves by their first name? stillers213 thinks that’s strange.

53. pascalswager42 says: Jul 1, 2014 9:25 AM

Stillers, you should meet Ricky Henderson.

54. higheriqthanyou says: Jul 1, 2014 10:06 AM

Very simple…

Refuse the pay cut, they release you and all the other teams line up to pay you $7m.

I’m sure that would have been the result yet you decided to take the cut because you’re such a good guy.

55. broncosaddict says: Jul 1, 2014 10:41 AM

Players want more money when they have a good year but don’t want to give up money if they have a bad year.
    NFL needs to switch to base pay plus incentives for all players. Players playing like studs get paid like studs, players who don’t get paid accordingly.

56. ravensrunthenfl says: Jul 1, 2014 10:44 AM

The only people who think Ike is a top 5 corner are steelers fans, everyone else knows he’s done. If you actually watched him play last year, you’d understand how bad he really was. The Vikings, patriots, browns, and lions games are just a few perfect examples of how he got shredded by younger better receivers. In every game last season, you could pick out one or two times when the receiver burnt him and he either dropped the ball, or the qb missed him. If you don’t believe me go back and watch the games. This year could very well be his last.

57. keiselsbeard says: Jul 1, 2014 12:41 PM

No Ike, it was Ur performance last year ( U remember, dead LAST among ALL NFL CBs) that made it easy for the Steelers to ask U to take a pay cut. Idiot. God willing, we draft a top shut-down CB in the 1st round of next year’s draft & unload this stone-handed scrub.

58. Raider-in-PA says: Jul 1, 2014 1:00 PM

Dry your tears on your Terrible Towel….

Oh, thats right, you cant… its already soaked with tears from the Steeler fans…

59. fordmandalay says: Jul 1, 2014 1:07 PM

Steelers fan are still pissed about Tebow tearing up the Steelers secondary and burning Taylor like toast in the playoffs a couple of years ago too.

60. apkyletexas says: Jul 1, 2014 1:48 PM

He decided to take a pay cut rather than lose his job. Had everything to do with performance, nothing to do with loyalty.

61. nickinneohio says: Jul 1, 2014 4:19 PM

Wow! A DB being interviewed without him saying “I’m the best in the league” It’s almost refreshing!

62. mackcarrington says: Jul 1, 2014 4:57 PM

Todays football players are dumb people.

63. coloradokid99 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:51 PM

Sin’ this the same Ike Taylor who let the Dolphins wine him and dine him before saying he was only doing it to get more money from the Steelers? He deserves what he gets and he’s lucky to get it! Chump, as in chump change!

64. tinytoolalldrool says: Jul 1, 2014 8:53 PM

Old and slow Steelers.

65. southcarolinamike says: Jul 2, 2014 9:54 AM

First off, I’ve always been a fan of Ike and this episode doesn’t make me feel any different. He plays a position where you either look really good or really bad. Nobody says anything when you look really good and they are all over you when you look really bad. It’s the nature of the job. For the most part, he has typically looked good. To have a career in the NFL as long as he has means you are pretty darn good.

Ike is just experiencing what aging NFL players experience in the form of not getting paid as much as they once thought they would. It’s the reality of the modern day NFL and he should have know that already.

He’s in for a huge reality check next year when he realizes the market for NFL players in their mid 30s almost doesn’t exist. At that point, he can tell us about how upset he is with his salary coaching high school football.

66. steelcityfinest13 says: Jul 7, 2014 12:04 PM

You knew the deal ike….stop crying and boot up…these young guys dont need to see a vet giving off negative vibes…we gota good thing going on with these young guy’s….. not a good show of leadership to want attention the way you are…im starting to think your the 1 yapping in the locker room starting with the woodley situation

67. steelersownsixlombardis says: Jul 7, 2014 7:41 PM

Ike has been one of the most over rated players for quite some time. He plays 10-15 yds off the ball every play. That is why the Steelers have had difficulty stopping the 3rd and long in recent years. The Film doesn’t lie. If he doesn’t like being a Steeler, cut him. Addition by subtraction. As the late great Chuck Noll use to say. “Get on with your life’s work” .