Levi’s Stadium sold out for inaugural season

49ers Stadium Football AP

For the first time since 1970, the San Francisco 49ers will play their home games in a stadium not named Candlestick Park (or one of its various monikers). Despite a 40-mile move south to Santa Clara and a massive hike in ticket prices, the 49ers have already sold out Levi’s Stadium for its inaugural season.

According to Mike Rosenberg of the San Jose Mercury News, the 49ers announced Monday the stadium had been sold out for the season. The team will sell 1,500 standing-room only tickets for each game this season to bring the total capacity of the stadium to approximately 70,000.

For the right to buy tickets at the new stadium, fans had to purchase a seat license ranging for $2,000 to $80,000 before purchasing the tickets themselves, which ranged from $850 to $3,750 for the 2014 season. The cost is essentially double what it was to purchase seats at Candlestick Park.

Despite the increased prices, fans have lined up for the 49ers first season at Levi’s Stadium. Three consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game don’t hurt either. The 49ers have sold out every season since 1982.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
31 Responses to “Levi’s Stadium sold out for inaugural season”
  1. bert1913 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:44 PM

for the first time since 1946 the 49ers won’t be playing in san francisco

2. raiderssf says: Jun 30, 2014 11:45 PM

This maybe sacrilegious coming from a Raider fan, but good for the 49ers. Jed York and crew worked hard at getting that stadium built. Now it’s time for Oakland to get theirs built. And yes it will get built in Oakland.

3. mustafa67 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:47 PM

Yeah OK, 80 grand just for the right to buy a ticket . I don’t care how much money you make. Watching football is just not that important.

4. redandgoldhitman52 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:49 PM

The 49ers have sold out every season since 1982.

5. 64post says: Jun 30, 2014 11:50 PM

Many long time 49er season ticket holders cannot move to the new stadium because of the huge cost to secure seats. Shame on Goodell and the Yorks. Rodger wants 20 Bil. a year revenues. I have seen that stadium up close and it looks like cheesy amusement park ride from the outside. Erector set on steroids.

6. sidbrown210 says: Jun 30, 2014 11:56 PM

This doesn’t surprise me. Have you checked housing prices in the Bay Area lateley?

7. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 1, 2014 12:05 AM

Selling out for 30 years is nice compared to most franchises.

I know of one that has sold out decades longer.

Some like the vikings can’t sell 50,000 season tickets no matter how much try.

Congratulations 49′ers, not the best but very far from the worst.

8. ydousuk says: Jul 1, 2014 12:10 AM

Congratulations Santa Clara 49ers……..

9. dirk504 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:12 AM

I’m a die hard Niner fan, but I’d die hard before I pay those prices. Too bad the fans of the greatest sport have to sell cocaine to afford tickets lol

10. knew8411 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:23 AM

As much as I love the NFL, I have to wonder…at what point does the cost of this game break the backs of those who support this game.
    Hell the only way any of us will be able to see games is via the boob tube.
    Maybe then they will figure out that the average fan just cant afford this stuff anymore.

11. demolition510 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:55 AM

Fans or businesses/corporations?

12. goldbloodedindfw says: Jul 1, 2014 1:16 AM

“The 49ers have sold out every season since 1982.”

But nobody was a niner fan till 2011 right?

13. willsco16 says: Jul 1, 2014 2:25 AM

Great to hear but no surprise, GO NINERS!

14. ronfai says: Jul 1, 2014 3:07 AM

Can’t wait until kick-off. I got to see some of the stadium, it’s going to be amazing. Niner Empire baby!

15. RegisHawk says: Jul 1, 2014 4:15 AM

League officials had no comment when several thousand tickets were being offered free in the Youngstown, Ohio area…

16. John says: Jul 1, 2014 4:20 AM

Double? More like triple or quadruple or whatever 5X is… and that doesn’t even include the absurd price of the PSLs.

My Grandma had Kezar season tickets, we’ve had them ever since.

But now we’re priced out. And, as taxpayers, we’re paying for the millionaires to have fun at the billionaires’ playhouse. Surreal.

17. dukeearl says: Jul 1, 2014 5:29 AM

But have they sent memos to the fans telling them that it isn’t in Candlestick anymore?
    Also another reminder about how to be a fan couldn’t hurt either…

18. eagleswin says: Jul 1, 2014 6:50 AM

And this is why the NFL won’t lower ticket prices … because they will still sell in the big cities.

19. bunjy96 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:03 AM

I’ll watch on my TV thank you very much.

20. ssraebel says: Jul 1, 2014 7:05 AM

And they wonder why fans prefer to stay at home to watch on their couch and HDTV. $2000 to $80000 before purchasing a ticket. Some people are just dumb. I am a season ticket holder for the past 7 years in Jax and if they told me I would have to give them money for the right to buy a ticket I would laugh for days. I can’t believe anyone would buy a PSL. Sure hope the mortgage is paid and you got enough for retirement. I fool and his/her money is soon parted.

I love watching football and the tailgating with friends but the drunks and fights have been taking the enjoyment of the game away. Now the outright greed of the NFL is slowly draining my enjoyment of the game. Too much “need to raise more revenue” from the NFL and it’s owners. Holding cities hostage for their crystal palaces that they don’t want to pay for themselves or holding fans hostage for every concession – parking, water, beer, soda everything is ridiculous.

The business side of the NFL is killing the Golden Goose and the enjoyment of this great game is slowly being taken away.

21. ctiggs says: Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM

I love my Niners, but those ticket prices are ridiculus, on top of flying out there and staying the night……….I’ll wait a couple years for them to come back to Cincinnati. #NObodyhasitbetter

22. tatatoothy says: Jul 1, 2014 7:54 AM

I’m sorry, did I just see $80,000 to purchase seat licenses?

23. merky19 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:05 AM

You know what fans? These prices (seat license and game tickets) are exorbitant by any measure you want to apply. The day is coming soon that fans will say, “why am I paying these prices?”; to keep AHs like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder living in splendor? There are many options for things to do on Sunday afternoons in this country beside sitting in a stadium with foul mouthed drunks peeing in the aisles. The same goes for sitting on a couch in front of a TV drinking beer and woofing fattening food.

Reflect on it for a moment.

24. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jul 1, 2014 9:27 AM

I’ve got 45 yard line seats for the Thanksgiving night game against the Cheat Carroll’s. My bestie, me and my Vuvuzela will be raising all kinds of hell

25. kamthechancellor says: Jul 1, 2014 9:29 AM

Wow. Shelling out all that cash for a team that is on the verge of implosion may sting a lot if they go 9-7 and miss the playoffs.

26. 6250claimer says: Jul 1, 2014 10:00 AM

Nobody should be too shocked, a 1 BR apartment in nearby Mountain View goes for $2800 in a new building that just went up. The cost of everything is fully out of control in the bay area. In my native town of nearby Menlo Park, the 1500 sq ft 1960′s rancher on a tiny lot that I grew up in, that sold for $35k when new, is now worth $1.6m per Zillow, and it’s a tear-down if someone were to buy it. Same shack would sell for $125k in a nice neighborhood here in AZ. Ridiculous.

The way the state government wants to regulate everything in that state (even worse than the feds, if you can believe that), I’m surprised no one has tried to reign in this whole PSL nonsense. There should be a law, that if you “buy” that license, you have access to that seat 24/7/365. You should be able to visit anytime, including being able to sleep in the damn thing if you so please.

27. rcali says: Jul 1, 2014 11:39 AM

Seat license? Ha ha. The new “Status Symbol” I guess.

28. ydousuk says: Jul 1, 2014 11:50 AM

merky19 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:05 AM

Reflect on it for a moment.
    ————————————————————-

I reflected, and I still love football, sorry…

Go Hawks

29. surfinbird1 says: Jul 1, 2014 2:09 PM

The downward spiral of once proud American football team now begins. They will now be playing in a stadium that was built by a once proud American jeans company that now have all their jeans made in China . This stadium is cursed. So buy their tickets and buy their jeans but you will not be able to stop the downward spiral of the Chinese Forty Niners.

30. sjsuguy says: Jul 1, 2014 4:55 PM

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 73 and I don’t get all the complaining about the ticket prices being so high for the new stadium. Sure the whole SBL thing sucks but I’m paying roughly the same amount for the same seats and that extra money that i am spending on tickets would’ve been spent on gas going to the game anyway.

31. wclark22 says: Jul 6, 2014 12:51 PM

I had season tickets a few years back and its totally overrated. Best seat is in my living room at virtually no cost. Go Niners!