Brooks Reed getting ready for “totally different” job

Brooks Reed AP

The Texans had a surplus of outside linebackers when they used the first pick in the NFL Draft on Jadeveon Clowney.

So they used to to address their shortage inside.

Veteran Brooks Reed has been forced inside in the past, but it looks like a full-time job now.

It’s totally different,” Reed said, via the team’s official website. ”Right now, I’m playing middle full-time. I also have to prepare to play outside too. I’m doing that as well. I have got to know a lot of stuff. I have to know a lot of adjustments and checks but it’s coming along. It just takes repetitions to see it. You can get it down paper-perfect but when you get down on the field, people are moving quickly and it’s a lot different. In that regard, it’s still a work in progress. There’s always things I can fix and improve upon but that’s just me being critical of myself.”

Reed’s versatility is good for the Texans, who had a glaring need inside. But having his experience outside while Clowney’s learning to stand up is only going to help.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Brooks Reed getting ready for “totally different” job”
  1. Hard On For Harden says: Jul 1, 2014 3:28 PM

I’m on the fence about Reed over the next couple years. He looked great at first, but that 2011 defense was awesome and everyone benefitted. Hasn’t looked as good since then but we shall see. Regardless, fire Rick Smith.

2. htown1035 says: Jul 1, 2014 4:03 PM

Reed has shown that ILB is probably the more natural position for him. He was getting abused by TE’s and tackles. He’s got the same motor as Watt but just doesn’t have the speed or the power to play outside. He does have the athleticism to play on the inside though, and he can alternate blitzing with Cushing.

3. gotdressedinabooth says: Jul 1, 2014 5:59 PM

who cares.

4. alonestartexan says: Jul 1, 2014 6:56 PM

htown, you assume Cushing will make it past the first couple games before blitzing to IR?

5. htown1035 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:19 PM

alonestartexan says: Jul 1, 2014 6:56 PM

———————————————-

If he doesn’t get his knee caved in by an opposing lineman or blocker again, then yeah he’ll last.

6. texansdan says: Jul 1, 2014 9:07 PM

This is going to be good–Watt, Clowney, Cushing, Mercilus, Reed….. can’t wait.