Tony Romo has given up golf to save his back

Tony Romo AP

Golf isn’t Tony Romo’s game anymore.

Romo was once a good enough golfer that he won amateur tournaments and came close to qualifying for the U.S. Open, but Romo says that his offseason back surgeries the last two years have caused him to give up on the sport.

It’s been awhile,” Romo told the Dallas Morning News of his golf hiatus. “Almost a year and a half.”

Romo said he doesn’t view forsaking golf as a sacrifice, just as something he wants to do to become the best Cowboys quarterback he can be.

“You’ve got to get yourself healthy then figure out where you’re at and go from there for everything,’’ Romo said. “It’s not just golf. It’s a way you live life. I don’t think about it as [giving up] golf. It’s just life. You want to give yourself the best chance to succeed on the football field.”

If success on the football field means time off from the golf course, that’s a trade-off the Cowboys will be glad to see Romo make.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Tony Romo has given up golf to save his back”
  1. rg3andthensome says: Jul 1, 2014 7:29 AM

I have seen him play both. Stick to golf.

2. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 1, 2014 7:36 AM

Why did it take so long? If I’m a professional football player and I am beginning to experience back problems (or any type of physical ailment for that matter), I’m quitting golf and all other extra-curricular activities immediately.

3. flaccoishermanmunster says: Jul 1, 2014 7:39 AM

Next, he’ll give up footbal to save Jerry Jones’ arse.

4. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM

He’ll have plenty of years to golf after he retires.

5. RegisHawk says: Jul 1, 2014 7:50 AM

Now if he’d just give up football, he could save what’s left of his reputation…

6. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 1, 2014 7:50 AM

Now that he is 34 and his career is winding down, he cuts back on golf. I don’t look for him to hold up 16 games this season.

7. kd75 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:52 AM

Romo doesn’t have a back problem. He has a back 9 problem.

8. flexx91 says: Jul 1, 2014 7:53 AM

Too late!!!!

9. jasonwsny says: Jul 1, 2014 7:54 AM

It’s about time. I mean, it looks like he gave up playing football (well) five years ago.

10. pillowporkers says: Jul 1, 2014 7:55 AM

I feel bad for Tony and the rest of the world who can’t golf anymore due to a bad back. He’s certainly not the first. Golf is such a fun game, but impossible to play with a bad back.

11. skinsgal4life says: Jul 1, 2014 8:00 AM

Tony should have given up football to save his golf game….

12. 2difshoe says: Jul 1, 2014 8:05 AM

Well, he gave up football and still gets paid for it….wonder if he gets paid to play golf ?

13. jimmysee says: Jul 1, 2014 8:06 AM

Golf seems rather tame compared to having 350 pound defensive linemen chasing you down.

With two back surgeries in two years maybe it’s time for Tony to call it quits.

Before he needs #3!

:-(

14. vikesindividual says: Jul 1, 2014 8:11 AM

Sure he has.

And I’ve given up McDonald’s.

15. tahnoonzee says: Jul 1, 2014 8:19 AM

should have drafted Manziel.

16. thefiesty1 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:19 AM

Golf or not, he and the Cowbabies won’t do better than
    8-8. Give up both and take care of that back.

17. starfan79 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:24 AM

If he doesnt make it all 16 games this year I really hope the Cowboys trade up in the draft and get a young QB.. still mad they didnt snag Aaron Murray when they had the chance.

18. bradyisyourdaddy says: Jul 1, 2014 8:26 AM

Giselle > Romo

I’d focus more on that Golf Career if I were you

19. pigbenis69 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:29 AM

Tony Garbagio should give up football to save (what’s left of) his reputation.

20. clashpoint says: Jul 1, 2014 8:32 AM

While I might not be a quarterback, I am a golfer. It’s a sad sad day for Mr Romo. While his play on the football field might not always be above par, his play on the golf course is often below par. My most heartfelt condolences for him on his terrible loss.

21. greymares says: Jul 1, 2014 8:47 AM

OK he gave up Golf and obviously he gave up Football, I guess he has been concentrating on his Bocce game.

22. joshr99164 says: Jul 1, 2014 8:48 AM

Can Tony Romo do ANYTHING without criticism?

These are millionaire athletes with 6 months of down time. You know how many of them play golf?

23. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Jul 1, 2014 8:58 AM

That’s too bad. He had a lot better odds of winning a championship at golf.

24. pushingiron says: Jul 1, 2014 9:11 AM

Tony should save himself and the franchise and retire. Don’t get me wrong, there were a lot of games that he was the reason we won, but without him we finish maybe 4-12 instead of 8-8 every year. Without Romo Jerruh may finally realize this foolish notion he has of “we’re reloading not rebuilding” and this “we are just a player or two away” is a fantasy and not reality. Without Romo the ‘Boys are forced to go into rebuilding mode. Use the recent first round draft picks on the O-line as the base for a team that has a chance to win deep into the playoffs. I appreciate all Romo has done for us (beside the late game INTs of course) but it is time to rebuild and turn this team around.

25. crapsandviche says: Jul 1, 2014 9:12 AM

So he suxed at Golf too?

26. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 1, 2014 9:14 AM

I find it funny how some American football fans hate soccer… but… love riding around in a miniature electric car with a bunch of guys while wearing green plaid pants, yellow polo shirts, and white shoes.

27. tommyribs says: Jul 1, 2014 9:17 AM

He’ll have plenty of time to hit the links once the regular season is over.

28. ggbblue says: Jul 1, 2014 9:37 AM

How is he gonna get through a whole nfl season if he can’t even get through a round of golf???

29. tvguy22 says: Jul 1, 2014 9:39 AM

He threw fewer crucial interceptions on the golf course.

30. ragnarthemagnificent says: Jul 1, 2014 9:51 AM

Golf > Football, especially if you’re good at it. Way more potential to make some $$$ and less sacrifice to the body.

31. geniusesq says: Jul 1, 2014 9:55 AM

He should give up football to save the Cowboys.

32. baddegg says: Jul 1, 2014 10:09 AM

A few things:

1. I am a Redskins fan, but even I am starting to feel sorry for Tony. By all accounts, he is actually a pretty decent guy. No, I’m still rooting for him to lose, as QB of a division rival, but I really don’t think the personal hate toward him is necessary.

2. On the need for Tony Romo to “quit” playing football because he “sucks.” The objective truth of the matter is that Tony Romo still has the talent to be a starting NFL QB. Period. That doesn’t mean he’s the best, he isn’t. It also doesn’t mean that he hasn’t frequently choked in the clutch, he has. But football is a game of the “here and now” — what are you doing for me now. If the Cowboys think he gives them the best chance to win right now, then he deserves a shot. Who knows, maybe he won’t choke THIS year.

I remember a time when everyone said that LaBron James would never win a championship because “he will always choke when it counts.” James choked multiple times, but then he did come through 2 times. It can happen.

Mind you, I hope that it doesn’t and that the Cowboys experience continued failure. But I say that as the fan of a division rival.

I honestly don’t know why people direct so much malice toward him.

33. hogdropalogonbigd says: Jul 1, 2014 10:27 AM

I’m also a Redskins fan, and I can’t tell you how happy I am to be playing Dallas in week 17. Hopefully, it’s for a playoff spot, and Romo is still the starter that week. I am positive he will find a way to give us that game.

34. scrp2 says: Jul 1, 2014 11:14 AM

His back is not good enough to play golf? Leave another message on Kyle Orton’s answering machine.

35. ripster65 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:03 PM

too late!

36. dmoney666 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:49 PM

Focus on the golf, Tony. That’s what you should be playing instead. At least you’re good at that sport.

37. footballchic777 says: Jul 1, 2014 12:51 PM

Finally……? should have been written into his contact!

38. gergie1957 says: Jul 1, 2014 1:03 PM

Not good when you’re so fragile you can’t golf.

39. poshous4life says: Jul 1, 2014 1:43 PM

Golf does put a hurting on your back especially if you have a pre-existing back condition. stick to football + you ain’t making any money playing golf NOT SAYING YOU CAN’T! Im saying he isn’t..

40. herecomethebirds13 says: Jul 1, 2014 2:26 PM

hes going to get smoked this year……this will be his last year….if he ever wants to walk again….I think he should leave the sport!!!

41. mogogo1 says: Jul 1, 2014 3:17 PM

Funny to compare this to the Johnny Football saga. Romo was getting criticized for golfing too much before any back problems came up. Can’t imagine what these Cowboy fans would do if he were wasting time hanging out with Bieber.

42. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 1, 2014 7:13 PM

baddegg says:
    Jul 1, 2014 10:09 AM
    A few things:

I honestly don’t know why people direct so much malice toward him.

__________________________________

The fact that a fan of a rival like the redskins speaks in support of Romo says it all. Those fans should hate him and want Dallas to replace him but you are OK with this guy. Enough said.

43. gammynomnom says: Jul 1, 2014 7:54 PM

3-13

44. anthinee says: Jul 2, 2014 5:07 AM

By the way, Romo stopped playing golf BEFORE the back problems. Can you people read? In plain English it says he hasn’t played in a year and a half. Is last offseason a year and a half ago? Is December 2013 a year and a half ago? Can you really not see that the title of the article is complete BS? Romo contradicts the headline IN THEIR OWN ARTICLE