Chris Johnson: I can’t make plays from the sideline

Chris Johnson AP

Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn said that the team plans to be “strategic” with Chris Johnson’s workload so that he will be fresh and explosive enough to make the big plays that helped make his reputation with the Titans.

Of course, Lynn has also said that the team has “always played the hot guy” and Johnson thinks that his production on the field will wind up outweighing any attempts to deploy him strategically during the 2014 season.

“Once the season starts and once we’re playing and I’m doing my thing, I’m pretty sure if I’m making plays they’re going to want to keep handing the ball off to me. If they want me to continue making plays, I’m pretty sure I can’t do that if I’m on the sideline,” Johnson said, via NFL.com. “That’s with any position on the field, if we have a receiver that’s continuing to make play after play I’m pretty sure they’re going to keep getting the ball. [Offensive coordinator] Marty [Mornhinweg] is a smart guy, he knows how to put his players in the right position to make plays, so at the end of the day, if I continue to play like I’ve been playing, they’re going to keep handing the ball off to me.”

Johnson is almost certainly correct about how things will play out if he puts up good performances early in the season. His ability to do that will have something to do with the state of his knee after offseason surgery and Johnson said he’s not quite 100 percent although he has been “pretty much cleared” by Dr. James Andrews after a recent visit.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Chris Johnson: I can’t make plays from the sideline”
  1. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 2, 2014 8:14 AM

Chris Johnson:

“whine, whine, whine”
    “2000 yards”
    “me, me, me”
    “2000 yards”
    “whine, whine, whine”

2. brokebackbrees says: Jul 2, 2014 8:14 AM

Should have gone to Saints and played with that PED user Brees. He would also be the youngest player on that bounty team as well.

3. classyjacklambert says: Jul 2, 2014 8:17 AM

…of on the field these last few years.

4. bdfun400 says: Jul 2, 2014 8:18 AM

he also cant average 3.9 y/a from the sidelines

5. bdfun400 says: Jul 2, 2014 8:22 AM

by my count from that one quote:

CJ said a version of “I” or “Me”: 13 times

and he said “we”–2 times.

team player right?

6. jnbnet says: Jul 2, 2014 8:24 AM

I see trouble brewing

7. 4onafloor says: Jul 2, 2014 8:24 AM

If the title read “Chris Johnson: I can’t make plays” I’d agree with it.

8. caveman1000 says: Jul 2, 2014 8:28 AM

Steelers head coaches can make plays from the sidelines. Why not Chris?

9. nyninerfan says: Jul 2, 2014 8:35 AM

You can’t make plays on the field either Boomhauer.

10. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 2, 2014 8:36 AM

If I was any running back in that league I’d be PISSED at Chris Johnson for wrecking any possibility of me getting paid anything significant for an extended period of time. Dude took the money and laid down.

11. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 2, 2014 8:37 AM

If the ‘situation of a spark’ is what the team needs, CJ is the last guy you call.

12. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Jul 2, 2014 8:39 AM

“I can’t understand a word Chris Johnson said.” – Mushmouth

13. southernyankee803 says: Jul 2, 2014 8:42 AM

Can he make plays on the field?

14. reesesteel23 says: Jul 2, 2014 8:44 AM

Yes you can.

Exhibit A: Mike Tomlin

15. RegisHawk says: Jul 2, 2014 8:46 AM

Don’t know about that…his mouth has been running pretty well so far…

16. wolfiereasonedlife says: Jul 2, 2014 8:57 AM

17. mrfrostyj says: Jul 2, 2014 9:01 AM

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin 100% disagree’s with Johnson.

18. titansbro says: Jul 2, 2014 9:04 AM

The Jets & Chris Johnson, perfect fit.

19. richndc says: Jul 2, 2014 9:07 AM

Is this like “I cant throw the ball and catch it”? Mr. Johnson, you might also keep in mind that you cannot do anything, ever on the field without total commitment and support of the 10 other guys on your team and excellent game planning and coaching from your staff. CJ2K: 780 yards, 3 TDs. 3.9 ypa–he will blame all these other folks mentioned above for this.

20. gridiron9 says: Jul 2, 2014 9:09 AM

If Chris plays like he’s been playing the last couple of years tennessee they might not let him in the stadium on sundays.

21. patriotsarespygaters says: Jul 2, 2014 9:10 AM

The jets circus is coming to a town near you

22. ihatethejets23 says: Jul 2, 2014 9:10 AM

“This guy may be comeback player of the year but I for one am sick of hearing of how much of a playmaker he is. Playmakers don’t need to tell anyone they need the ball, coaches somehow find a way to get it to them. Football is weird like that.”

If he really was a playmaker, he wouldn’t have to say it EVERY SINGLE DAY!

23. chieftaindawg says: Jul 2, 2014 9:12 AM

And off they go…..!

24. myeaglescantwin says: Jul 2, 2014 9:33 AM

THERE WE GO.

You can’t tell me that Chris Ivory can carry CJ’s jock.
    Talent level is no where near equal.

25. hankdatank88 says: Jul 2, 2014 9:36 AM

Tomlin makes plays from the sidelines

26. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 2, 2014 9:48 AM

mike tomlin makes plays from the sidelines all the time.

27. tvjules says: Jul 2, 2014 9:52 AM

Let the drama begin anew…

28. bullcharger says: Jul 2, 2014 9:53 AM

CJ isn’t big enough to succeed as he starts to lose his speed.

29. kneelbeforesod says: Jul 2, 2014 9:55 AM

“All is not lost, my son.”

Clipboard Jesus

30. floratiotime says: Jul 2, 2014 9:56 AM

… or between them.

31. ragnarthegreat says: Jul 2, 2014 10:02 AM

I have to agree with bdfun400. I would like to have seen something along the lines of ” I would love to be the primary back but most importantly I want to do my part to help the team win.” There is nothing like that in there. No wonder he isn’t with the Titans when they are rebuilding with young players.

32. crazycane says: Jul 2, 2014 10:05 AM

CJ was ties for 6th in the NFL in attempts and 32nd in avg.

33. simoneauchristopher5 says: Jul 2, 2014 10:06 AM

& it begins. This guy is a perfect Jet.

34. jetsmmt says: Jul 2, 2014 10:07 AM

The guy counting the “I’s” and “We’s” is a total moron. How was he supposed to answer questions aimed at himself? With “we”? That’s the dumbest comment ever.

35. RexCanCoach says: Jul 2, 2014 10:14 AM

The beauty in his comments is that this will pump up Chris Ivory and that combination is going to punish teams esp Patsies just like last year.

Even Geno can be effective when you run the ball over 150 yds per game!

36. deafcone says: Jul 2, 2014 10:37 AM

heard he wants his likeness as the helmet logo too.

37. deafcone says: Jul 2, 2014 10:40 AM

HC: Chris, you’re in

Chris: NO!!! I WANTED TO START!!!!!!

HC: Chris, this is a great screen pass for you!!

Chris: NO, I WANT A HANDOFF!!!!!!!

HC: Shut up Johnson I’m talking to Ivory.

38. cursedvikings1998 says: Jul 2, 2014 10:56 AM

The Falcons suck.

39. infectorman says: Jul 2, 2014 10:58 AM

Sal Alosi can teach you how Chris….
    He was on the same team as you are now….just discreetly extend the knee into an oncoming players leg and there you go!

40. jchipwood says: Jul 2, 2014 11:01 AM

You can steal plays from the sideline like Billichick.

41. chargrz says: Jul 2, 2014 11:20 AM

You can’t make plays with your mouth either.

42. salmen76 says: Jul 2, 2014 11:21 AM

Way to go Chris. You’ve only been on your new team a couple months and you’re already pointing fingers and stirring up trouble. The coaches decide when or if you’re on the field. Not you. This is exactly why i’m glad you’re not on the Saints. Because you’re not happy unless you are causing trouble. This is also why you’re not on the Titans anymore. You are a very unhappy person. You don’t have any respect for yourself therefore you are unable to show respect for anybody else. Sucks to be a Jets fan! Ha Ha! Geaux Saints!

43. vegaskid21 says: Jul 2, 2014 11:23 AM

Can’t make plays from behind an offensive line either.

44. radioactivechimp says: Jul 2, 2014 11:26 AM

“I can’t make plays from the sideline”

Tell that to Mike Tomlin

45. chinahand11 says: Jul 2, 2014 11:30 AM

Where did the cool guy, the humble athlete, go?

46. Getoffmylawn! says: Jul 2, 2014 11:55 AM

You run our mouth 2,000 yards worth but your legs can’t seem to do it. You better do somethng worth while on that team, because it’s your last chance and I don’t see you ending up in a broadcasting position after football.

47. enoughofthatalready says: Jul 2, 2014 12:06 PM

Enough with the Tomlin stuff already. The guy did that one time by mistake in his entire coaching career. Jim Harbaugh steps onto the field all the time and nobody ever says boo. In fact a 49ers coach was able to clothesline a Seahawk player out of bounds last year with nothing said. If John Harbaugh would have done the same that night in Faultimore, he would be labeled as a savvy coach. Having said that, is it me or has CJ been opening his mouth more since joining the Jests?

48. agcooney108 says: Jul 2, 2014 12:24 PM

1. CJ got the boot from the titans cause he had 8 million against his cap.

2. he’s only saying what every nfl player thinks. if he has the hot hand and performs well, he’s going to keep getting the ball.

3. if anyone watched the jets before goodson went down, the jets used a large amount of 2-3 back formations. they’re all going to see the field pretty evenly.

i don’t understand what CJ said was wrong

49. scotrugby says: Jul 2, 2014 12:54 PM

“I can’t make plays on the sideline”

You couldn’t make plays most of the time on the field, so….

50. wvufan82 says: Jul 2, 2014 1:06 PM

Can’t make plays on IR either there old man knees

51. packerbackernj says: Jul 2, 2014 1:16 PM

Johnson is worthless without an impressive offensive line. I mean twinkle toes literally needs a hole that a tornado can go through, which the titans oline opened when he rushed for 2k. He thought he was barry sanders, but he was even less then jamal lewis.

52. Marshawn Lunch says: Jul 2, 2014 1:18 PM

CJ2K made his reputation with the Titans by having one explosive season, getting a big fat check and then doing next to nothing for the remainder of his time with the Titans.

And if you don’t hand if off to him a bajillion times then he is not going to have a chance of being explosive on the field. He wants the ball every play because he knows it takes 50 attempts for him to get 200 yards in a game.

53. Ed Bandell says: Jul 2, 2014 1:39 PM

He should also know that he can’t make plays from the trainer’s table and being injured.

I agree with him that if he’s running like his old self that the Jets would probably use him a bit more than they originally intended. It would be stupid not to ride the hot hand. But, I would also see them still subbing him out for a series or two to help protect him. Let him catch his breath and reduce his total number of hits he takes as he reaches the time of his career for a RB where the wheels start to fall off.

Tomlinson was used very well once they got him from San Diego. Tomlinson still had some football life left in him, but he wouldn’t have lasted quite as long if they continued to use him as a feature back. They reduced his carries by about half, he still ran for 914 yards and still averaged 4.2 yards a carry.

54. ryann252013 says: Jul 2, 2014 1:58 PM

It’s gotten to the point where there is no such circus with the Jets anymore that people are counting the amount of times a NY Jet says “We” and “I” in a statement and using it to bash them. Pretty sad if you ask me, I don’t really like CJ but I’m pretty sure he is talking about making plays for the team, you cant make plays for yourself.

55. jjackwagon says: Jul 2, 2014 3:06 PM

You are on the sideline because you can’t make plays on the field.

56. kev86 says: Jul 2, 2014 3:18 PM

So if he gains 1 yard on first and 10, he is cool with coming out? Nice. What a team player.

57. jayniner says: Jul 2, 2014 3:26 PM

I bet CJ2K hits 2,000 yards this season……running up and down the sidelines watching the other guys make plays.

58. ernwop64 says: Jul 2, 2014 3:27 PM

All lead backs are selfish,i mean good backs.

59. akboot says: Jul 2, 2014 3:58 PM

Guy sounds like a scht salesman with a mouth full of samples.

60. devrocks247 says: Jul 2, 2014 4:19 PM

Can’t make plays between the tackles, either.

61. roxtar10 says: Jul 2, 2014 4:48 PM

This is a guy I’m really getting excited about cheering to see him fail. This combination of selfishness and delusion is toxic.

62. micknangold says: Jul 2, 2014 4:48 PM

Chris Johnson has 6 straight 1,000 yard seasons to begin his career. He’s only missed 3 games, two of those his rookie year. He’s averaging just under 10 total TDs a season for his career with 272 receptions and 2003 receiving yards thrown in.

What a stiff!

63. sportzpig says: Jul 2, 2014 5:49 PM

Don’t worry CJ, the Jets aren’t about making plays.

64. joeflaccosunibrow says: Jul 2, 2014 5:51 PM

Ironically, he can’t make plays when on the field.