Dion Jordan claims he took banned stimulants

Dion Jordan AP

Former Dolphins defensive Jason Taylor recently raved about current Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan, twice calling Jordan a “sponge.”

And now we know why Jordan has been able to focus so well.

Jordan claims that his four-game suspension flows from taking banned stimulants — and not from steroids or other banned substances aimed at helping players build up their bodies.  Adderall has become one of the more commonly used stimulants by NFL players.

Meanwhile, some may not believe Jordan, given that he spent the offseason building up his body, with 15 pounds of muscle added to his frame.

“I recently learned from the NFL that I tested positive for stimulants that are banned under the NFL policy,” Jordan said in a statement released by the team.  “I worked carefully with my advisors and the union to investigate the test results, and I take full responsibility for the test results.”

While not a typical dog-ate-my-homework-and-then-injected-me-with-a-PED-when-I-wasn’t-looking excuse, the fact that there was an “investigation” of the test results suggests that Jordan’s immediate reaction wasn’t, “Damn, I got caught.”  His carefully-chosen words create at least a shadow of doubt that the NFL technically can’t dispute given the confidentiality provision of the policy.  (Then again, that didn’t stop the NFL from calling out Robert Mathis.)

If/when the NFL and the NFLPA agree to conduct HGH testing, the league will be able to provide more information about whether a guy took stimulants or steroids or a masking agent or something else.  In turn, the players will have an appeals process that, for positive tests, entails a third-party arbitrator and not the Commissioner or his hand-picked designee.

Jordan’s appeal process went through the league office, if he even filed one.  Either way, the process is now final; he’ll miss 25 percent of the season, losing more than $116,000 in salary and giving up more than $784,000 in signing bonus money.

That’s a total bill of more than $800,000 for the positive test.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Dion Jordan claims he took banned stimulants”
  1. tooz72 says: Jul 3, 2014 4:38 PM

#typical

2. jayovalentine says: Jul 3, 2014 4:41 PM

He needs to call up Richard Sherman and get some advice.

3. smillr58 says: Jul 3, 2014 4:43 PM

Wow…

4. smillr58 says: Jul 3, 2014 4:45 PM

Wow… Expensive mistake.

5. patriotsarespygaters says: Jul 3, 2014 4:45 PM

And……doesn’t change the fact man

6. philsimmsisadouche says: Jul 3, 2014 4:46 PM

Must have been Adderall. Right? That is the PED test failure defense du jour.

7. g35phin says: Jul 3, 2014 4:46 PM

oh well there’s always next year :(

8. Heretopissuoff says: Jul 3, 2014 4:47 PM

Adrian Peterson takes banned supplements too
    MJD best running back in the league
    Khalil Mack>Barr and Clowney

9. VenerableAxiom says: Jul 3, 2014 4:52 PM

Still one of the best D lines in the league, but would like to have seen him make it even better. Sucks for him to lose all that money, but he’ll probably get a nice contract in time, once he gets the opportunity to contribute.

10. birdcen says: Jul 3, 2014 4:53 PM

For someone who never even played much as a rookie….what an idiot. And the hits just keep on coming for those in the Not For Long League.

11. afce22 says: Jul 3, 2014 4:56 PM

is anyone surprised?

even the kickers are probably juicing….i doubt there’s a position group in the league where <50% of the players take PEDs

12. bullcharger says: Jul 3, 2014 4:58 PM

Why does it matter if the press or public know what the guy took? If it’s a banned substance, it’s a banned substance. It doesn’t matter to me if it was Steroids, HGH, Adderall or whatever. To me the public and press should look at the guy the same whether he took muscle building drugs or drugs to increase reaction time and awareness. They are all banned. He could have legally taken creatine and caffine supliments and no one would have cared. Those are for muscle building and alertness, but they are not-banned.

Suspend the player and move on.

13. micknangold says: Jul 3, 2014 4:59 PM

LOL.

14. dickshotdogs says: Jul 3, 2014 4:59 PM

New England, 1-0

15. goldrush36 says: Jul 3, 2014 5:02 PM

At least he actually claims full responsibility…. unlike 99.9% of the rest

16. cberkhous says: Jul 3, 2014 5:04 PM

The NFL really should be allowed to identify what substance was taken. Even if he did take anabolic steriods and he head grew to the size of Barry Bonds, he could still stay it was for Adderall and nobody could dispute it. Just say what it was for and be big kids and accept your punishment.

17. sportsnut101 says: Jul 3, 2014 5:07 PM

What happen to old fashion work out in gym to build muscle

18. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 3, 2014 5:13 PM

dude sounds like a Seahawk

clearly
    Miami, Cincy, Seattle, NE, Cowboys and maybe Pittsburgh are NFLs lowest class orgs

19. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 3, 2014 5:13 PM

sorry, forgot Jets but they are more funny than classless

20. lionsnati0n says: Jul 3, 2014 5:14 PM

There are two guys from the draft that make me feel really good about taking Ziggy Ansah.

21. pats1944 says: Jul 3, 2014 5:34 PM

————————–

I don’t know maybe because they do different stuff. Adderal doesn’t really do anything other than make you focus while steroids physically makes you stronger. So one helps you stay on task while the other one does the task for you.

Let’s put it this way, if Barry bonds was on adderal instead of steroids would people look at him differently

22. snoqualmkanem says: Jul 3, 2014 5:51 PM

“Jordan’s appeal process went through the league office, if he even filed one. Either way, the process is now final; he’ll miss 25 percent of the season, losing more than $116,000 in salary and giving up more than $784,000 in signing bonus money.
    That’s a total bill of more than $800,000 for the positive test.”

Wouldn’t that be $900,000?

23. ecade25 says: Jul 3, 2014 6:02 PM

Its not a PED haters , It will not make you perform any better , You maybe more alert but alert can’t help you make tackles or sacks so you non athletic hater who have never competed in your life .. Get a L:ife!!

24. coys10 says: Jul 3, 2014 6:15 PM

Chip Kelly connection

25. ncphinsfan says: Jul 3, 2014 6:16 PM

Based on last year he didn’t play much, so he won’t be missed all that much. So go ahead and call him a Bust if it makes you feel good, but the bottom line is this guy was the unanimous best defensive player in the draft last year. Lets compare him to Ansah when they both have as many snaps. Think about it. You can’t be labelled a Bust if you haven’t played as much because of Injury. If this is the case, then Kiko Alonso is going be a Bust. Just sayin’

26. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 3, 2014 6:22 PM

Dion blames it on his Mom.

“Finish your dinner dear, the peas and carrots are good for you, and don’t forget your banned stimulants….”.

27. rdubluv12 says: Jul 3, 2014 6:43 PM

“dude sounds like a Seahawk”-

Remind me again…exactly how many Seahawks were suspended for PEDs last season? oh that’s right, you can’t. Because there were NONE. The last guy to piss positive was Irvin back in April/May-ish of 2013. Over a calander year ago. Before the season even started. I realize it’s hard accepting the fact the Hawks are just that good and don’t need to take stimulants in order to rip your team to shreads, but come on guys, these PED ramblings are getting old. Is that really the best you can come up with to make yourself feel better about your team sucking?

28. luccabrazzi says: Jul 3, 2014 6:44 PM

If he got a 4 game suspension, does that mean he’s already failed at least one test?

29. warjag55 says: Jul 3, 2014 6:47 PM

And to think everyone said the Jags blew their 1st round pick for not picking him.

PS: I wanted him to. I guess thats why I am not a GM

30. kev86 says: Jul 3, 2014 7:02 PM

Gambled and lost. Dumb and costly mistake.

31. speicher145 says: Jul 3, 2014 7:06 PM

He’ll either fall off the face of the planet, or come back bigger, faster, stronger and more focused than ever. Depends on how he deals with his problem at hand.

32. sbmcintosh36 says: Jul 3, 2014 7:15 PM

This dudes got bust written all over him

33. riverhorsey says: Jul 3, 2014 7:16 PM

Players don’t really seem to care about being caught and continue to use illegal PEDs, ect.. Maybe the league should up the ante to 8 games for a first time offense.

34. soldyou says: Jul 3, 2014 7:37 PM

Who cares what people put in their bodies. Seriously does it matter? Im not saying I disagree with the suspension. Baseball was at its best when players were juicing. 99.9% of the people on the planet will never be drive it takes to be a professional athlete by the time they are done their bodies are too. This is true in any sport…here is a news flash for anybody over 30 if you have a surgery for any joint/muscle your doctor, yes the doctor that does the surgery to make your life better will give you a supplement to “get you back on track”.

So to all you that say ” he was cheating..look in the mirror ” so are you. But because all you say its a rule and he broke that rule so he should be suspended. Yeah right!!! Most people on the planet do not have thedrive to be successful to start with. Main stream media got us all messed up.

35. revren10 says: Jul 3, 2014 8:06 PM

In breaking news Pete”pump them up” Carroll was overheard saying he’s our kinda player

36. jdphx says: Jul 3, 2014 8:19 PM

Hey Miami… You really fleeced Oakland, right?

You were publicly “snickering” out loud if I remember right… Damn Karma.

37. Ed Bandell says: Jul 3, 2014 8:20 PM

“Former Dolphins defensive Jason Taylor…”

Did you mean to say Defensive End?

I didn’t think you meant to say that Jason Taylor was defensive when he was speaking. But, he did play on defense so in essence, I guess he was defensive?

Just kidding. I do that all the time too. I think I typed a word and I didn’t or I make a typo that when I proof read it still looks right to me. Only after I re-read a second or third time do I catch my mistakes…unfortunately that is usually after I have already posted the message or sent the memo.

38. dedicatedhawkfan says: Jul 3, 2014 8:21 PM

Wouldn’t it be $900,000? 784000 + 116000?
    I never was a math whiz so maybe I’m wrong

39. ghost26 says: Jul 3, 2014 8:27 PM

‘That’s a total bill of more than $800,000 for the positive test.’

The legacy of Jeff Ireland lives on. Jordan is a moron & I never understood why we drafted him. And this is a guy Ireland actually traded up for.

However at the end of the day we’re talking about the 4th best DE 0n the team so anyone who thinks this is a ‘big loss’ definitely didn’t watch Jordan play last year. I’m more pissed that we wasted the 3rd overall pick on a player that isn’t even good enough to start instead of taking a OT like DJ Flueker.

40. soldyou says: Jul 3, 2014 8:36 PM

Oh wow…the cursor on my phone jumped around a lil on my post….lol

Maybe I need some peds : )

41. zeke2517 says: Jul 3, 2014 8:38 PM

Must have been some investigation, then.

“Hmm… Did I take something I shouldn’t have taken? Yup. Results are good, guys.”

42. annes22 says: Jul 3, 2014 8:49 PM

Just another stupid idiot, who had to know what he was doing. Thanks a lot Dion, I am sure the Dolphins are really proud of you and so are the fans. No one cares about the money you are losing, you deserve to. Have a nice vacation for 4 games, and then enjoy sitting on the bench when you do come back.

43. granadafan says: Jul 3, 2014 10:13 PM

What’s with these bland and dry statements allegedly coming from the players? Clearly someone else like his lawyer or a PR firm wrote it. Shame on PFT for saying Dion wrote the statement. It should be worded as “Dion’s agent wrote a statement on his behalf”.

44. nyneal says: Jul 3, 2014 10:15 PM

Liar liar pants on fire. These guys are like 100% of the men and women in prison, all of whom are innocent, of course.
    Any moron who gets suspended for taking anything banned by the NFL has no one to blame but himself. If he isn’t sure, he needs only to bring it to the NFL’s attention and they will tell them whether he can take it or not.
    So — these guys who get caught are either stupid or liars. It’s as simple as that.

45. lesterclan says: Jul 3, 2014 10:35 PM

Come on, people, lay off!!!! If you had seen him play last year you would thankful he was taking SOMETHING!

P.S. Adderall only helps you focus if you have ADHD. It is a STIMULANT that has an opposite effect on hyperactive people. If your not hyperactive, than it, essentially, makes you hyper (or energetic, if you will).

46. thehawg says: Jul 3, 2014 10:59 PM

I believe in the NFL if take adderall with a Doctors prescription, your good. Correct me if I’m wrong.

47. wyrdawg says: Jul 3, 2014 11:04 PM

I’ll say this: going from a Doritos/Dominos/McD’s diet to pure nutrition and heavy-weight workouts, you can easily gain 15 pounds of muscle… If it’s in your DNA.

Just gotta be careful of the supplement salesmen/saleswomen/salespersons. Call the number. That’s what it’s there for.

Just call it.

48. doggeatdogg says: Jul 3, 2014 11:12 PM

Any player that violates the substance abuse rules should be kicked out of the NFL. That means they are not allowed to be picked up by anyone else. Earn millions versus no career. This i stye only way.

49. beastmode5150 says: Jul 3, 2014 11:49 PM

Adderall isn’t performance enhancing. Sherman got better when he stopped taking it. Yes, I am a hawks fan admitting he probably was taking it.

50. promickey says: Jul 4, 2014 1:10 AM

Wow! The Dolphins traded up to take this Jordan at number three in the draft. Moreover they reached big time to take QB Tannehill number eight in another draft year. These are just two of former GM Jeff Ireland’s draft moves. Jeff was hired by former VP of operations Bill Parcells who was also a reach as an executive, a position he had never held. When a team does not hire the right people bad things happen!

51. brohamma says: Jul 4, 2014 1:38 AM

Said it during the draft, and I’ll say it again.. “Miami reached on Jordan’s ONE year of solid sack numbers and completely ignored the fact that he was ineffective the following year when defensive coordinators were no longer taken by surprise.”
    That’s not even mentioning his dismal coverage skills and one dimensional “speed rush” technique.
    I gave him the length of his rook contract, to last, but that may have been generous.

52. smackingfools says: Jul 4, 2014 2:04 AM

Who cares what they take? I don’t. It’s not my body. It’s not like the NFL really cares about the guys.

53. smackingfools says: Jul 4, 2014 2:10 AM

If you ask me. When there’s a timeout. And somebody hands the QB a jug of water. And nobody else gets a sip. That’s performance enhancing. Players, justice people should be able to do whatever they want with their body.

54. kerryc21realty says: Jul 4, 2014 8:12 AM

Im sure the Seahawks can advise him

55. dolphincritic says: Jul 4, 2014 8:40 AM

The guy is a bust! He can’t beat out Vernon or Shelby! They need to move him to outside linebacker. The HGH thing reflects that he is trying to get bigger but just can’t do it on his own. At OLB he is a nice size! He has great speed too!

56. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jul 4, 2014 8:40 AM

What a total and complete crock. Adderall makes you not want to eat and he actually would have lost weight if he was telling the truth. Time for the NFL to change its policy so these guys have no choice but to stop blatantly lying about why they’re failing these tests. In the mean time I heard that the seadderall PEDhawks are interested in picking up his contract.

57. uglydingo says: Jul 4, 2014 8:42 AM

Jordan needed to get bigger from last year. He has gone from 240 lbs to 265 lbs and is noticably huge. He has tested positive to adderall (like a number of other players) – it is a stimulant, an aphrodisiac and also a masking agent.
    He says he didn’t take steroids. Well why is he taking the masking agent? At 24 and in top condition, I doubt that he needs the aphrodisiac.

58. gratefulgecko says: Jul 4, 2014 9:00 AM

They all take stimulants. The one ridiculous thing about this league is that nothing is across the board. Patriots get ripped for spying, when they all spy. Saints get fined for giving bonuses for big hits when all the teams do. Miami is criticized for charging rookies for dinners when all the veterans on all the teams do. Jordan took Adderall? So what. The entire Seahawks team is on some sort of drug.

When you win and become a brand the NFL tends to look the other way, but not always. When you lose you have no chance, there’s no margin for error. Miami has not been a winning franchise and trying to get back on track but they’ll find that it’s harder to do than other teams when the commish is staring at you.

59. harveyredman says: Jul 4, 2014 9:05 AM

g35phin says: Jul 3, 2014 4:46 PM

oh well there’s always next year :(

____________________________________

Yup. Another year the division is gift-wrapped for the Patriots.

Suckiest division in pro-sports :(

60. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 4, 2014 9:20 AM

the Seadderall Seahawk influence continues

61. nyneal says: Jul 4, 2014 9:52 AM

Go back and watch Lawrence Taylor footage. He was as high as a kite on the field during games, and I believe that he was able to run around the field “like a crazed dog” (his quote) at times, because he was so high. It’s a wonder his heart didn’t explode right on the field.
    I’m not slighting his ability or how good he was. But if you’ve ever watched footage of a guy high on cocaine get tased by the cops, you’ll see how that stuff can really make a guy almost impervious to pain. It’s scary.
    Taylor’s nickname was the “Coke Machine” for good reason.
    I bring him up as an example of what drugs can do for a player and why these guys take stuff to try to get an edge.

62. adderal says: Jul 4, 2014 9:58 AM

When they ever do agree to HGH and generally more stringent testing I suspect we will find a huge HGH problem in the NFL

63. bucsorbust says: Jul 4, 2014 1:03 PM

The fact so many get caught means a lot more are getting away with it. Drug testing is a joke. Here’s the deal. Every player does the golden flow test every week on Wednesday. Results Friday. Suspension Friday night. 8 games, 1 year, and permanent ban….first, second, third offense. Convicted a felony. Lifetime ban right away.

64. bucsorbust says: Jul 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Pretty sick of these guys substance abuse…make the fines/suspensions really hurt….like I said above, and you’ll clean it up right way.

65. riverhorsey says: Jul 4, 2014 1:57 PM

smackingfools says: Jul 4, 2014 2:04 AM

———————————————————————————————————–

The point must be so far over your head you’re oblivious.

Think of it as a 15 horse race with one horse doing some really good drugs before the race and the rest just eat their oats. Unfair advantage?

66. riverhorsey says: Jul 4, 2014 2:20 PM

Anyone who thinks Adderall doesn’t improve performance doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Adderall is an amphetamine. Anyone familiar with amphetamines can tell you they would improve a players performance.

Ban Adderall and Sherman if he is caught taking it again.

67. lostsok says: Jul 5, 2014 1:37 PM

Let’s just legalize PEDs for athletes. Think cool the NFL will be when linemen are 480 pounds, but can run a 4.35 40?

Sure, their career will last three games, four max…but it’ll be EPIC when they blow!

68. fishyinalittledishy says: Jul 5, 2014 2:10 PM

I know athletes have to be careful what they can take even for hay fever, flu etc and I presume are advised very carefully about what to take. I also presume that they know at some point they get tested probably quite regularly in the NFL so what on earth was he thinking. So players talk with each other all the time so there must be a good chance he thought he could get away with it which makes me think many of the players that require power and strength might be doing a little either way Dion is a complete idiot.

69. coldwater32301 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:21 AM

The Bad part is that he will do great this year and have an asterisk mark by because he was taking a stimulant in the off season… What can you say…Indeed…