Ben Hamilton: Concussion settlement objection is no cash grab

benhamilton AP

Former Broncos offensive lineman Ben Hamilton is one of seven former players who are objecting to the proposed settlement of the concussion lawsuit against the NFL. But he says its not about the money.

Instead, Hamilton says his objection to the settlement stems from a belief that more information needs to be collected about all of the potential ramifications of brain injuries on the football field.

“It’s not necessarily an adequate settlement in that they’re not recognizing these other effects of traumatic brain injuries,” Hamilton told the Denver Post. “It’s complicated stuff when you’re talking about the brain. People learn a little bit more about it every day. These seven people are not going for a money grab. It’s more about awareness, identifying some of the affects from concussions that’s just not about the debilitating stuff.”

Hamilton says he suffers from issues including memory loss, difficulty sleeping, irritability and moodiness. But he is doing well enough that he is able to work as a high school math teacher.

If Judge Anita Brody accepts the proposed settlement, players will still have the right to opt out and pursue their own claims against the NFL. That is what Hamilton plans to do, even if most players accept the settlement.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Ben Hamilton: Concussion settlement objection is no cash grab”
  1. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 7, 2014 12:33 PM

If I were a high school math teacher, I think I would have all of those symptoms too.

2. dickshotdogs says: Jul 7, 2014 12:53 PM

So, you’re fine with doing more research and studying the effects of brain trauma without receiving any further compensation? Got it. I understand how vitally important this issue is, but do not sit there and try to convince me that you have no intention of trying to squeeze more money out of this issue. I, and many others on here are far too smart for that, Mr. Hamilton.

3. crackillsdumb says: Jul 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Or it could be that these “symptoms” are evidence of getting older….

4. thraiderskin says: Jul 7, 2014 12:57 PM

Cash grab!

5. harshedmellow says: Jul 7, 2014 1:10 PM

I would *never* trade the money I got for that injury. Never. People who haven’t been there just can’t understand what it’s like to injure “you”. So, my point is, even if it is a cash grab, it’s a justified one. But reading what he said at face value, HELL YES to the notion of understanding this stuff better.

6. thefiesty1 says: Jul 7, 2014 1:11 PM

It’s ALWAYS about the money. There wouldn’t be a lawsuit if it wasn’t about the money.

7. infinitig says: Jul 7, 2014 1:13 PM

I think they should donate the money to a research institute. I am sure that this will be much better than accepting several million dollars for yourself.

8. floratiotime says: Jul 7, 2014 1:15 PM

Of course not. Who would ever say this constant stream of lawsuits is about the money?

9. kennyx says: Jul 7, 2014 1:23 PM

harshedmellow says:
    Jul 7, 2014 1:10 PM
    “I received a severe concussion/contusion in a car wreck. A couple years later I got a sizable insurance settlement. In the process of documenting my symptoms and cognitive deficits I was very unhappy to learn exactly what the injury had done to my ability to process and assimilate information. This, 18 months later. Oh, did I mention that those 18 months were a horror show of redlined anxiety, depression, and tremendous difficulty with day to day life, relationships, etc?

But I’ll say this- when we do understand it better, it’ll be the end of football as we know it.”

Difference is, Im assuming you didnt choose to be in the car accident. No one’s holding a gun to these players’ heads to play football.

10. lucky5936 says: Jul 7, 2014 1:23 PM

11. tqaztec says: Jul 7, 2014 2:06 PM

“lucky5936 says: Jul 7, 2014 1:23 PM

Sorry Harshedmellow, but Hamilton’s claim is not a justified one. He is young enough to know the dangers of concussions. Despite this, he chose to play in the NFL and made lots of money while doing so. Now, the settlement is not enough on top of this? These money hungry players are a disgrace to the game. He very easily could have retired earlier or chose not to play in the NFL. Nothing is justified for players who played so recently.”

Ben Utecht had at least two concussions during his college days and still went to the NFL. Should all players pursue legal action against the Universities also?

12. purpleguy says: Jul 7, 2014 2:16 PM

The problem is that if the players and the NFL waited to complete all the studies necessary to define or clarify the effects of brain injuries, most of the players that need the benefit of the settlement would be long dead.

13. herkiethehawk says: Jul 7, 2014 2:22 PM

why is the NFL liable for damages? why not the midget football league?

14. rjov says: Jul 7, 2014 2:56 PM

I noticed these same symptoms once I hit 40…it’s an older thing Ben

15. orivar says: Jul 7, 2014 3:09 PM

Not only do Linemen face the most risk, they’re the ones that were/are the most ignored.

16. rcali says: Jul 7, 2014 3:42 PM

What part of “this job includes using your head in full contact at all times” do players not understand? Do they really need somebody to tell them it’s not a good idea? I’m guessing the same people need the “this beverage is hot” on their Mickey D’s coffee cups?

17. tavisteelersfan says: Jul 7, 2014 4:42 PM

It’s a professional sport … saying it’s about the money is redundant. The league is vulnerable on this issue of concussions from a “what did they know and when did they know it” perspective. The players and their representatives know the league is vulnerable.

So, they engage, negotiate, litigate, propagate media information, etc. It’s a business transaction. No different than Chrysler and it’s suppliers or Apple and Foxconn.

With leverage life is a simple equation. Use it or lose it. That’s what precedence is all about. That’s why the waitress at every restaurant you go to has to make sure you use the brand Coke or Pepsi appropriately.

18. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 7, 2014 6:25 PM

The part that pisses me off about this lawsuit, why in the hell are these judges not forcing the NFL to release all their documents to prove what scumbags they really are.

There is no way these scumbags, called the NFL, should be getting away wi this.

Some idiot above said these players are a disgrace. the NFL is a diagrace to professional sports and ethics.

19. kimbo71006 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:14 PM

Personal responsibility guys. We all have free will and free thinking.

You will never-ever convince me that these guys didn’t know they would get hurt playing football.

Come on, they CHOSE to play, no one twisted their arm or put a gun to their head.

And they were well compensated for their own free-will choices.

Now – they want to come back and whine “well its the NFL’s fault, they should have told me that a concussion would hurt me, I’m too stupid to ask the question or look up the information for myself, I’m too busy earning millions of dollars.”

That’s just like the cigarette smoking lawsuits. Gosh, I was just not smart enough to know that inhaling all those chemicals might be bad for me.

We are a country of finger pointing and displacing blame on everyone but ourselves for the free-will choices that we make and the consequences of those choices. It’s all about the almighty dollar, money is not the root of all evil – the LOVE of money is.

The only person you have to blame for the “choices” you make in life is the one staring back at you in the mirror each morning.

Give me a break!

20. Savage Lizard says: Jul 8, 2014 2:30 AM

“This guy plaed football in grade school, junior high, high school, college, and eventually the pro’s.

why is the NFL liable for damages? why not the midget football league?”

EXACTLY! I’ve been saying this for ages. These guys did not show up in the NFL having never received a blow to the head. This is all a cash grab, and the NFL has the cash.

21. Savage Lizard says: Jul 8, 2014 2:32 AM

@rcali Not to change the subject, but…

“I’m guessing the same people need the “this beverage is hot” on their Mickey D’s coffee cups?”

I felt this way too until I watched the documentary Hot Coffee. There was way more to that case than just some woman not knowing coffee would be hot, as is usually portrayed in that story.

22. scrotiemcb says: Jul 8, 2014 7:20 AM

Concussion= literally being stuck deep in your head. You think well enough, you just can’t express it. You fully understand how to do something, you just can’t execute it. Your short-term memory is blown, so something as profound as ALF is impossible to track. Forget reading. Bad sleep with vivid, bizarre, sometimes bad dreams.

It is terminal frustration for weeks, and I’ve only had one, albeit very severe.

This guys need the coin. Give it to them.

23. eagleswin says: Jul 8, 2014 8:20 AM

———————–

My wife has several of the same issues but has never played football. Can i sign her up for the lawsuit as well?

It’s a cash grab. The NFL is not liable for every ache and pain you have as you get older. Everyone get’s older.

Most of these symptons could be attributed to stress which the common man has trying to make ends meet without an NFL paycheck.

24. txraiderfan says: Jul 11, 2014 4:15 PM

How about this, Ben Hamilton: my grandfather worked at DuPont chemical his entire life. He made a good living, but never touched a million a per year. Due to the volatile chemicals he worked with, he dropped dead of cancer at the age of 62 (which is typical). Maybe you should quit crying, and understand that you are VERY well compensated to take on the risks inherent to your job.