Concussion settlement has CTE loophole

brain-myth-scan Getty Images

The concussion settlement that received preliminary approval on Monday provides benefits only in the event that a former player currently suffers from or eventually develops one of a handful of severe cognitive impairments:  early Dementia, moderate Dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, ALS, and/or death with Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy.

The settlement as preliminarily approved provides no benefits for living players who have CTE but none of the other conditions.  Even if/when a test is developed for reliably diagnosing CTE in the brains of living patients, the living retirees from the NFL will get nothing until they die.

When they die, their estates will be eligible to receive up to $4 million, based on factors that will increase or decrease the award, such as years of NFL service.  But any living player with CTE but without early Dementia, moderate Dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, or ALS gets nothing during his lifetime.

It’s an odd loophole that hopefully will be exposed and explored as the settlement process moves forward.  If an otherwise asymptomatic former player with CTE should get compensation after he dies, why should he be barred from benefits if he can prove that he has it while he’s alive?

Whether CTE can be diagnosed prior to death is still unclear.  At some point over the 65 years of the settlement fund, it could become very clear.  Former players determined to have it should be eligible for something before they die.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Concussion settlement has CTE loophole”
  1. walkinginthewasteland says: Jul 7, 2014 5:54 PM

Not necessarily Florio.

CTE currently has a 95% detection rate from the Boston Area? clinic, when testing a few multiply concussed ex-NFL players but also non-athletes who dont have any history of concussions. There is a lot of media hype over CTE and its relationship to concussions, and very little proof.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 7, 2014 6:14 PM

All these terms to deal with. Makes you miss the old days when they were all just categorized as Zombies.

3. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 7, 2014 6:38 PM

This settlement is a scam of course in favor of theNFL

MAKE THE NFL DISCLOSE EVERYTHING

4. hyzers says: Jul 7, 2014 6:45 PM

I’m a 27 year old who played 5 years of college football and am already starting to feel the effects of head to head collisions. I’ve suffered 6 concussions and a few thousand sub concussive blows to the head over my entire football career. I suffer from anxiety, headaches, mood swings and insomnia. Sometimes contemplate suicide because living like this isn’t worth how I’ve been feeling. Knowing it’s only going to get worse, the least I can do is donate my brain to science when I’m done living life. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn’t have played football. But I very much enjoy watching the sport.

5. pats1944 says: Jul 7, 2014 10:40 PM

_______________________

Good luck getting the NCAA to pay for anything. The student athletes make them millions while the athletes suffer all the consequences. I don’t play a D1 sport anymore but the NCAA is the worst. It makes me fear for mankind. The is no reason why players who fill stadiums shouldn’t get paid.

6. greggfletch1 says: Jul 8, 2014 2:03 AM

WHINERS

7. greggfletch1 says: Jul 8, 2014 2:04 AM

Go cry to momma hyzers. You knew the risks. Anybody with a brain knows that you can get hurt hitting something at full speed.