Packers would like Nelson deal sooner rather than later

AP

The Packers enter the season with depth at wide receiver, but deep in questions too.

With both Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb entering contract years, they have plenty of work to do too.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, the likeliest scenario involves trying to reach a deal with Nelson “sooner rather than later,” so they could then shift focus to Cobb’s deal.

The Packers also drafted three wideouts this year — Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis — but they were looking to rebuild depth after losing Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones the last two offseasons.

Locking up Nelson early in the process would also gives them options with Cobb, who was on 100-catch pace before breaking his leg last year.

77 responses to “Packers would like Nelson deal sooner rather than later

1. This guy is not that good, just look what he did when Arod was out. What 400+ yards and a few TDs in 7/8 games?

Over rated, like most of these guys.

Way to go TT!!!

2. Great WR who is underrated because he’s white. Thank goodness they didn’t overpay Greg Jennings and re-sign him to an extension last year. That would have been a terrible move by the the Packers. Luckily the Vikings (as usual) took the Packers trash and he’s their problem now.

3. 1. Another Packer Bust in the first round.
    Let’s take a look at their brilliance over the years.
    Sincerely,\
    2014- HE HE TIX TOX
    2013 – Dantone Jones -BUST
    2012 – Nick Perry – BUST
    2011 – Derek Sherrod -BUST
    2010 – Brian Bulaga – BUST
    2009 – BJ Raji – BUST (Fabio is getting close)
    2008 – NO Pick
    2007 – Justin Harrell – BUST, Frank Zombo-Bust
    2006 – AJ HAWK – BUST
    2005 – Ahmad Carroll – BUST
    2001 – Jamal Reynolds – BUST
    2000 – Bubba Franks – BUST
    1999 – Antuan Edwards -BUST
    1997 – Ross Verba – BUST
    1996 – John Michels – EPIC BUST
    1995 – Aaron Taylor – BUST
    1992 – Terrell Buckley – EPIC BUST
    1991 – Vinnie Clark – BUST
    1990 – Tony Bennett – BUST
    1989 – Tony Mandarich – BIGGEST BUST IN NFL HISTORY!

4. With the knee surgery and constantly injured hamstrings this guy has I hope the packers shell out big money and then watch him sit on the bench like usual.

Way to go TT!!

5. This guy is not that good, just look what he did when Arod was out. What 400+ yards and a few TDs in 7/8 games?

That 400 yds is what your #1 pick managed for the whole year and our wr is no good? Nelson only managed 1300 yds which is as much as Patterson and the overpaid Jennings had combined. That is with Rodgers gone for half the season can you imagine if he didn’t get hurt. Get a clue.

6. But did he revolutionize the position? I bet Drew would know. Drew knows everything. Just ask him.

7. ariani1985 says:
    Jul 7, 2014 9:13 AM

1. Another Packer Bust in the first round.
    Let’s take a look at their brilliance over the years

Hey know nothing troll he was a second round pick! Even your own list should have told you that. Bwahahaha!

8. Ted Thompson must have great instincts during the draft to be able to have such an extensive list of first round busts and still bring in enough talent to own the Vikings year after year. You don’t do that by accident.

9. I count at least 7 Super Bowl ring owners in that list of busts. How many rings have all those awesome first-round draft picks for the vikings won again?

10. Without ARod this whole team, top to bottom would have been turned over the at least 3 times since Favre left.

Face it packer fans your TT, MM and your whole team need ARod to have success. If it wasn’t for him your Oline would look terrible, your wideouts and TEs are just average, your RBs (lacey injury history …..) nothing really unless lacey stays healthy.

And your whole D sucks and goldilocks is starting to break down.

As we all saw last year your team is below average without ARod. Just pray all those hits aren’t starting to show and he plays 12 games.

11. Dude just listed Frank Zombo (an undrafted rookie free agent) as a bust LOL!!! OMG- couldn’t even read the rest of the list after that… HAHAHAHA

ariani1985 says:
    Jul 7, 2014 9:13 AM
    1. Another Packer Bust in the first round.
    Let’s take a look at their brilliance over the years.
    Sincerely,\
    2014- HE HE TIX TOX
    2013 – Dantone Jones -BUST
    2012 – Nick Perry – BUST
    2011 – Derek Sherrod -BUST
    2010 – Brian Bulaga – BUST
    2009 – BJ Raji – BUST (Fabio is getting close)
    2008 – NO Pick
    2007 – Justin Harrell – BUST, Frank Zombo-Bust
    2006 – AJ HAWK – BUST
    2005 – Ahmad Carroll – BUST
    2001 – Jamal Reynolds – BUST
    2000 – Bubba Franks – BUST
    1999 – Antuan Edwards -BUST
    1997 – Ross Verba – BUST
    1996 – John Michels – EPIC BUST
    1995 – Aaron Taylor – BUST
    1992 – Terrell Buckley – EPIC BUST
    1991 – Vinnie Clark – BUST
    1990 – Tony Bennett – BUST
    1989 – Tony Mandarich – BIGGEST BUST IN NFL HISTORY!

12. My fellow packer peasants I am pleased to announce that I will be updating my list for you to follow!!! I also demand that you send me cash for some “stock”!!!! This “stock” will be useless but you must worship it and hang it on your wall!

13. Jeebus, I can’t wait until the season starts. As soon as it becomes clear that the Vikings will stink and are going absolutely nowhere yet again (I figure right about week 3) these kids will crawl back down to their parents’ basements, immerse themselves in World Of Warcraft and quit bothering grown folks on the Internet.

14. White chocolate will continue his dominance over the sissy purple wearing losers to the west for years to come. Get your popcorn ready.

15. 1989 – No Pick – Sent to Dallas in Walker Trade – Biggest Trade Bust of all time
    1990 – No Pick – Sent to Dallas in Walker Trade – Biggest Trade Bust of all time
    1991 – No Pick – Sent to Dallas in Walker Trade – Biggest Trade Bust of all time
    1992 – No Pick – Traded to Eagles as part of Walker trade – Still Sucking
    1993 – Robert Smith – BUST
    1994 – Todd Steussie – Not Horrible, just a guy
    Dewayne Washington – BUST
    1995 – Derrick Alexander – BUST BUST BUST
    1996 – Duwayne Clemons – BUST BUST BUST
    1997 – Dewayne Ruud – BUST
    1998 – Randy Moss – Traded to Oakland for Napoleon Harrris and draft picks – WASTED TALENT
    1999 – Daunte Culpepper – OK start, fizzled quickly
    2000 – Chris Hovan – Bust
    2001 – Michael Bennet – BUST BUST BUST BUST
    2002 – Bryant McKinnie – Workhorse but nothing great. Lasted 5 years.
    2003 – Kevin Williams – BUST
    2004 – Kenechi Udeze – BUST BUST BUST
    2005 – Troy Williamson – BUST BUST BUST
    2006 – Chad Greenway – BUST
    2007 – Adrian Peterson – Good Pick, never produced a championship
    2008 – Traded Pick
    2009 – Percy Harvin – Traded to a good team after only 4 years
    2010 – Traded Pick
    2011 – Christian Ponder – BUST BUST BUST
    2012 – Traded Pick

One HOF in the last 20 years and the Vikings couldn’t even keep the guy. ROASTED

16. Better to it quick. I love m’Packas but I think the Bears and Vikes may overtake us this year if we aren’t smart in the office and on the field. I love Rogers as much as the next guy, but he can’t keep carrying the team. I’m a little nervous about Bridgewater expecially. If he figures it out, oy, look out. Pains me to say it, but we’re near the end of the “window”, one last run!

17. btv77 says:

If you believe your list of Viking busts you are clueless.

Kevin Williams, Randy Moss, Robert Smith, Adrian Peterson.

LOL, thats a packer idiot for you.

Go back and look at the stats Moss put up just against your team and when he goes into the HOF I hope you enjoy seeing them again.

18. ariani1985 says:
    Jul 7, 2014 10:11 AM
    __________________________________

Perhaps you you can help me with my list that I am updating?

I am looking for the names of all vikings players who have won a championship while playing in Minnesota.

So far I have:
    10)

19. Guaranteed way to create site hits in the slowest NFL time of the year — post either a Viking/Packer article or one about Manziel. If the guy had been drafted by the Vikings or Packers the gerbil running the PFT website would probably have exploded.

20. I think I finally figured out why MN fans have such an inferiority complex.

GB record v. Vikings 12-4-1

WI record v. Gophers 17-2

Hell, our college hockey team has more championships, our NCAA basketball team is better, our fishing is better, we even have more lakes than the state that uses lakes as it’s calling card.

Damn, it’s got to be depressing. 50+ years of futility while you look across the river and wonder how good life could be.

21. Gotta respond to atthemurp — if MN sucks so bad, why do so many of the cheesers who post on this site live here?

And when your done answering that question, check which college football team has won more national championships, which pro baseball team has more World Series titles, and which state has a pro hockey team. If you’re real ambitious compare average income, average HS test scores, employment, etc. There’s plenty of “better” to go around. Most Minnesotans look across the river with satisfaction rather than envy.

22. I have a better chance of winning the lotto then reading just ONE article about either the Pack or Vikes that doesn’t include a pissing match between both teams fans in the comment section.

23. @Numba1Singaporean, GTFO dude!! Near the end of what window?????? From where I’m sitting all Windows look wide open in Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers in his prime, a new found run game with a young talented 2nd year back Eddie Lacy, 1 of the top receiving duo’s in football with a strong group of young talented guys behind them, young group of TE’s ready to step up with a young developing D that’s healthy and will hopefully stay healthy. Green Bays Windows are wide open all over the place, and as long as they are smart about finding a QB in 5 or 6 years to develop behind Rodgers for a year or 2 the way Rodgers did, there’s no reason Green Bay can’t keep all Windows wide open for a long long time. Think you might need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

24. Jordy Nelson 2013 Stat Line:

469 Yards
    4 Touchdowns

Simpson:
    48 Receptions
    726 Yards
    1 Touchdown

Vikings Trolls, use data to back your beliefs, otherwise, you are just trolls.

25. If you go to Madison or Milwaukee you will find people from Minnesota who work there because they went to college in Wisconsin to take advantage of the tuition reciprocity between both states.

Saying you know some people from Wisconsin who live in Minnesota now is just ridiculous deflection for having a worthless NFL franchise. Vikings fans have always looked across the border with envy and jealousy of the Packers. Nothing has changed or will change when it comes to that fact.

The western half of Wisconsin is the armpit of the state. To judge people and the state by that would be the same as judging Minnesota by the people in the iron range or the western half of the state which is redneck city.

26. Jordy Nelson’s next contract will only get more expensive. It is in everyone’s best interest to get it done sooner.

It doesn’t matter now that he was once drafted in the 2nd round at a time when the Packers already had good receivers.

Why address the jealous seething of viking followers? They have never seen quality and comparing top 10 draft picks to bottom 10 in the first round is foolish and not relevant to the article.

Nelson’s only “problem” is that he is on a team with an excellent passing game and he doesn’t get as many passes as some in the league that are the only good receiver on their team.

27. @emodriver Whoa there guy, were on the same side! And calling me “sinapore guy” or whatever is just kinda odd. Not sure how you mean. Anyways I stil think the window is open for now, but opening for other teams too now. It should be fun too watch. PAck fans gotta stick together man, agree to disagree but Rogers IS our team right now!

28. “Gotta respond to atthemurp — if MN sucks so bad, why do so many of the cheesers who post on this site live here?”
    ———————
    I’ll answer this honestly. M/SP is the closest major metro to Western Wisconsin. Young professionals from Hudson, RF, Eau Claire, etc tend to head to the closest major metro upon completion of college. It’s why Sheboygan kids take jobs in Milwaukee and Madison.

Rarely does a Minnesotan take a job in Madison or Milwaukee. The reason for this is because Minnesota is the most insular society in the history of the Earth as we know it. It is very rare for a Minnesotan to have ever left the state, and 99% of the population lives in the suburb they grew up in. Small people living small lives.

29. bob- Jordy’s deal won’t really be getting more expensive primarily because he lost a lot of his leverage when he said he most definitely wants to be a Packer and remain in Green Bay and isn’t looking to break the bank on his next contract. I’m sure his agent wasn’t happy about that, but it will be a contract that should be easy to do for both sides. It will be done by training camp or very early on in training camp.

30. I’m confused !! I was thinking this was an article about the GB Packers. My mistake, it’s all about the Vikings and fan posts. Those Viking fans sure do love the Packers as it seems they leave more posts than us Packer fans. xoxo’s back at ya.
    I guess the Vikings are licking their chops hoping the Pack doesn’t get a deal done with Jordy or Randall Cobb. They need WR help. They need lotsa help.

31. purp1eone
    Jul 7, 2014, 8:50 AM CDT

Are you talking about last year, when the Pack won the division without ARod for most of the season? Is that what your talking about?

32. Yeah, but in WI we have Scott No-college-degree Walker as governor, Paul I-hate-all-budget-plans-but-can’t-add-myself Ryan in the house, and Ron who-the-hell-am-I-again Johnson in Senate. MN has that one over us… Then again, they do have Bachmann…

atthemurph says:
    Jul 7, 2014 11:01 AM
    I think I finally figured out why MN fans have such an inferiority complex.

GB record v. Vikings 12-4-1

WI record v. Gophers 17-2

33. numba1wiscosportsfan says:
    Jul 7, 2014 10:50 AM

Yea well then my friend the QB’s name is AARON RODGERS No self respecting Packer fan would say that about the Vikings. They have gotten 1 QB rookie passed over by alot of teams that needed QB’s and he is the answer ?Cmon now Bears are much closer than the NO LOMBARDI”S ever team.

34. keepingitlogical says: Jul 7, 2014 1:44 PM

If you are dumb enough to believe the wins before ARod went down didn’t give you the division ….. I really am not surprised…… packer fans, lol

35. The game that gave the Packers the division last year, without question, was the second-half come-from-behind tie against the Vikings. The Bears owned the tie-breaker and the tie became a win. And they did it with a fourth-string street agent. That’s how you OWN another team, and the Packers OWN the Vikings. If you would like us all to stop teasing you with facts, please stay away and we’ll have nothing to respond to.

36. purp1eone how do all those Lombardi Trophies look in the Viqueen HOF – oh, that’s right, there aren’t any there. You have to go about 280 miles to the east to see what they look like

SKOL

Sucky
    Kings
    Of
    Losing

37. funny thing is, i actually agree that J.nelson is an underrated WR.. but then some inhabitant of the township of WI decided to try to badmouth the Great State of Minnesota.. Is it not clear to you peasants that the shame that is WI, barely qualifies as a state. It is in no way,shape,or form any where close to being at the same level as the Great State of Minnesota…I will concede the fact that “wisconsins” one profitable company has been more of a success than the Vikings, but that also means that you must concede that The Great State of Minnesota is been more successful in…well…. everything else…….

38. Seriously? !?!? The best you got is “Where would the Pack be without ARod?” That’s the stupidest argument I’ve heard! Where would Denver be without Manning?? Where would the Seahawks be without Wilson??? Where would any team be without a quality starter??? Hanging on like the Packers did until he gets back. It’s a garbage argument made by garbage jealous fans.

39. Nelson is a very rare, common sense type of guy, at least so far as Pro athletes go. He’s said several times that he’ll never spend all of the money from his last contract. And he loves playing in GB. The Packers should be able to sign him with relative ease; I’d bet before the season starts.

40. Always love the idiots that post in regards to a team not having their star player and especially QB and see how they would do. Duh, morons they are part of the team!!!!

41. There’s only 1 WR in the NFCN better than Nelson. Nelson is better than Marshall, but he plays on a team that spreads the ball out more rather than with Cutler who locks in on him and lets him pad his stats with a high number of receptions every year. But Nelson can be a possession and a deep threat WR. Marshall is strictly a possession guy as his low YPC by comparison would indicate.

42. Nothing gets you through the back-to-work blues like a good chuckle. Nothing provides a good chuckle like Viking fans trolling Packer articles. Thanks Skols for the LOLs!

43. There are a lot of Viking idiots on Packer pages, but I do not consider purpleguy one of them. He often gives good trash without being a moron, unlike most of the other purple idiots here. Just my 2 cents. As a Packer fan, I feel I need to take my swings at the worst Viking fans every now and then – but I don’t actually take pleasure in it because I have a lot of purple family members. Unless it’s a pretty good zing…

44. I think this deal will get done very soon. Jordy Nelson is the best WR in the NFL & Ted Thompson being the greatest GM in NFL history will find a way to get it done.

45. 3 things guaranteed in life.
    1 Death
    2 Taxes
    3Jordy Nelson will never play for the Vikings.

46. Vikings have Greg Jennings…they’re wasting such talent by putting Christian Ponder to throw to him. I feel bad for Jennings for having to run in like ten yards because Ponder can’t throw the ball past his feet. Nelson is looking up to have a great career, unless he winds up on the Vikings roster. Then he won’ be able to show his talent at all.

47. @skollombardilover – Why you attacking me, guy? Were both Pack fans, Rogers, Farve and the whole bit. Lighten up, people get to worked up about spelling and stuff that doesnt even matter out on the feild!!!! Were in this together!! GO PACK GO! ON WISCONSON!!!

48. Oh, I know perfectly well who JORDY Nelson is. But when Packer-hating trolls send drunken messages before re-reading them for accuracy, I wanted to make certain it wasn’t some “clever” means by which you guys were assigning yet another feminine-sounding nickname to a grown man……which is the epitome of a weak and stupid reply.

Are you with me on this one? Einstein?

49. Jordy gave the Packers the home team discount last time. He’s been nothing short of consistent, a model citizen and an exemplary teammate. Pay the man!

50. ….attention packer fans….pftpoet and ariani1985 are actually closet packer fans…..think about it….who else, in their right mind, would be so psychotically obsessed with EVERY little detail about an NFL team?….so…I say…..welcome aboard “THE PACKER EXPRESS”…….