Ravens radio voice Gerry Sandusky: I’ll never change my name

gerrysandusky

Gerry Sandusky had a decades-long career as a sports broadcaster before former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing children. But once the Jerry Sandusky case became a national scandal, Gerry Sandusky faced unrelenting abuse from people who didn’t grasp the fact that they’re two different people, with differently spelled names, and are not related.

Although Gerry Sandusky has received death threats because people think he’s Jerry Sandusky, Gerry Sandusky says he will never change his name. In a new book, Forgotten Sundays: A Son’s Story of Love, Loss and Life from the Sidelines of the NFL, Gerry Sandusky explained that he remains proud of his name, given to him by his father John Sandusky, a former NFL player and coach.

“About two and a half years ago when the Jerry Sandusky — no relation — Penn State story broke, so many people asked me, ‘Why don’t you change your name?’ And the book is largely an answer to that. Over the last couple years I’ve learned through the journey, it’s not my name to change. Gerry Sandusky is the name I have in stewardship that my parents left me — my father and my mother left me a great name, and I intend to do the same thing for my kids,” Sandusky said on NFL Network.

Still, it hasn’t been easy. Thanks largely to Twitter, which makes it simple for any idiot to send someone a hateful message, Sandusky said that when the Jerry Sandusky scandal was a major national news story, he was receiving abusive messages “hundreds of times a day because of my name.” Although the Twitter abuse has died down, it hasn’t disappeared completely. Even today, when NFL Network tweeted that Gerry Sandusky would be a guest, there were replies to that tweet with comments like, “sickening” and “what about the victims?”

Gerry Sandusky may never stop being confused for Jerry Sandusky, but Gerry Sandusky will continue to take pride in who he is.

Photo via Baltimore Ravens.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Ravens radio voice Gerry Sandusky: I’ll never change my name”
  1. wallyhorse says: Jul 7, 2014 10:56 AM

Unfortunately, there will also be those who are stupid and don’t realize this is a different person from that other guy who caused all the problems. I’m sure there are other people with the same name who have the same problems who we’ll never hear about.

2. El Pollo Loco says: Jul 7, 2014 11:00 AM

Why should he change his name?People have proven time and time again how stupid they are and this is proof!Its not even spelled the same!!!morons

3. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Jul 7, 2014 11:01 AM

I feel for this guy, I really do.

4. parlett316 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:02 AM

Fans are complete morons

5. mdpickles says: Jul 7, 2014 11:03 AM

Good for him to stand by his name. Social media – exposing nitwits one post at a time.

6. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 7, 2014 11:04 AM

He should change his name to Joel Rifkin.

7. purplengold says: Jul 7, 2014 11:07 AM

Similar to Al Nino, who while residing in LA, received calls from others who were concerned about the local weather asking, “Why are you doing this?”

8. markusj83 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:09 AM

in the words of Michael Bolton from the movie Office Space….”why should I change my name, he’s the one who sucks!”

9. 700levelvet says: Jul 7, 2014 11:13 AM

Lol ..money had no factor when people write books … None whatsoever

10. bostonfrogs says: Jul 7, 2014 11:13 AM

If social media stupidity was snow, we’d be well on our way to the next ice age by now.

11. cheeks9441 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:18 AM

I admire his strength in the face of an unlucky break, as well as his reasons for not changing his name … but I’m not sure I could do the same.

12. johnodocks says: Jul 7, 2014 11:19 AM

LOL @ the Joel Rifkin comment – Remember the big irony of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine suggested Joel Rifkin change his name to OJ, being the episode was filmed before OJ’s killing days. So maybe it’s better that Gerry with a G doesn’t change his name.

13. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 7, 2014 11:23 AM

Makes sense to me. The only reason to change the name is for the benefit of those people that hold the name against him. But he shouldn’t care what those people think.

14. southpaw2k says: Jul 7, 2014 11:26 AM

I have to wonder why these folks who had tweeted NFL network didn’t stop to realize that Jerry Sandusky was, you know, IN PRISON right now and not likely available for an interview.

15. ningenito78 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:27 AM

The proof that people on Twitter are idiots is the fact they thought Jerry Sandusky had a Twitter account.

16. fin72 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:30 AM

I think he should change his name to something much less controversial… Like ‘Johnny Manziel’.

17. freeigwebuike says: Jul 7, 2014 11:31 AM

I’m fine with him keeping the name, but he really needs to lay off on the botox…

18. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 7, 2014 11:33 AM

Every Labor Day I’m sure he is very fond of Jerry’s kids.

19. sonoco says: Jul 7, 2014 11:35 AM

“Why should I change my name?, he’s the one that sucks.”
    ~Mike Bolton

20. jusgee says: Jul 7, 2014 11:36 AM

I feel ya bro
    signed Dan Snyder

21. notthetroll says: Jul 7, 2014 11:37 AM

Too bad for this guy. I wouldn’t change it either, but I might not name my son Jr.

22. tigersfandan says: Jul 7, 2014 11:44 AM

Why should he? There is nothing wrong with the name. There is something wrong with someone else who has a similar name, but the name doesn’t make either of them evil.

23. doe22us says: Jul 7, 2014 11:53 AM

Once again reading is fundamental or in this case spelling etc.. Shows how stupid people have become.

24. youpeopleareallthesame says: Jul 7, 2014 11:56 AM

I love it.

25. theageofquarrel says: Jul 7, 2014 11:56 AM

With all that botox he looks like Joel McHale

26. chalkruz1989 says: Jul 7, 2014 11:56 AM

I agree completely with Gerry Sandusky.

As someone that was named after my father, my name is important to me and one I plan on passing on to my future son.

Good for you Gerry, that scumbag doesn’t own the name.

27. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 7, 2014 12:05 PM

Never let other people’s stupidity compel you to do something you don’t wanna do-
    Dan Snyder

28. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 7, 2014 12:09 PM

OK look, this is my radio broadcaster we’re talking about OK? And he’s a gentleman, he’s good looking, he’s a good shaver, and he hasn’t thrown up in eight years, so just shut up about him! Shut up!

29. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 7, 2014 12:11 PM

You know what? There are a lot of players named Deon these days. What a cool name, Deon. If I were going to change my name, I’d go with Deon. Let’s say I was you. And I decided I was gonna change my name for no real reasons whatsoever–Deon Sandusky. Wow! That is so cool.

30. bunkmcnulty says: Jul 7, 2014 12:14 PM

Did he put it in ALL CAPS?

31. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 7, 2014 12:15 PM

What if he left a ticket to the Ravens game for a friend, but the friend forgot his ID when he went to pick it up?

STADIUM ANNOUNCER: Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please? Would Gerry Sandusky report to the stadium office. Gerry Sandusky…telephone. (the crowd stops cheering and we see a football player distracted from the game while hearing the announcer saying Gerry Sandusky)

GERRY: Who would be calling me here? (he stands up and look around)

RADIO ANALYST: (to the person in front of him in the press box) He’s not the child abuser.

32. colv says: Jul 7, 2014 12:27 PM

John his father,great player for the Baltimore Colts. Sad that we have idiots that don’t take the time to see whom they are abusing.

33. tmkelley1 says: Jul 7, 2014 12:27 PM

The haters also vote, and that’s the really scary part.

34. bingobrown12 says: Jul 7, 2014 12:57 PM

I take it these are the same nuts who think we are
    getting gassed by the airlines instead of um contrails.

35. phinsfanjoz says: Jul 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Gerry Sandusky wasn’t the target of a criminal complaint. Dumb people will always be dumb.

It’s sad that our speak-without-thinking society allows for a guy like him to be threatened with death for having a name similar to a high profile convict.

36. channer81 says: Jul 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Get the police involved. Nothing like a visit from the cops to help straighten some people out. And all it takes is one instance ” Police stopped by the home of such and such for his threatening twitter comments towards Gerry Sandusky mistaking him for the Penn State coach. That’ll send a better message than letting idiots get away with it.

37. briscocountyjr says: Jul 7, 2014 1:11 PM

I can’t believe this guy is getting coverage on PFT now!! Why don’t they do an article about the families??? Shame on this guy

38. iloveagoodnap says: Jul 7, 2014 1:15 PM

What a joke it is that this guy gets crap from people because of his name. Some people are so stupid.

39. therealtrenches says: Jul 7, 2014 1:37 PM

For no other reason than that there is no reason to filter this comment, I’ll keep posting it until it gets through.

It’s pathetic that this guy is hassled by haters.

And on a lighter note, it really SHOULD matter to the PFT staff and readers that this guy looks like Kenny Bania.

40. Ridley Me This says: Jul 7, 2014 1:44 PM

“Gerry Sandusky is the name I have in stewardship that my parents left me — my father and my mother left me a great name, and I intend to do the same thing for my kids: Adolf, Sadam, and Ahmadinejad.”

41. ghost26 says: Jul 7, 2014 1:55 PM

Really???

42. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 7, 2014 2:02 PM

Stuart, Remmy, Alex or Alec. Anyone would be better.

43. scoonie97 says: Jul 7, 2014 2:06 PM

If your name sparks outrage, you should be forced to change it.

#amidoingitright?

44. erikmc10 says: Jul 7, 2014 2:35 PM

I feel sorry for this guy. I hope he sells some extra books for the same confusing reason as the death threats. Readers might be a little smarter, but….
    After all, once an idiot, always an idiot!

45. nflofficeadmin says: Jul 7, 2014 2:49 PM

I can still hear the female on-looker’s voice on the local news channel as the car pulled away taking Jerry Sandusky away to prison, “…burn in hell…”, she said. It was low, from the gut and gripping.

46. SAV says: Jul 7, 2014 6:29 PM

You know he wrote the book to capitalize off the mistake. Smart guy. He’s getting the abuse why not get some money for it.