Travis Frederick taking on more responsibility this season

Travis Frederick AP

The Cowboys’ decision to take center Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft drew a fair number of pans, but Frederick proved to be a good fit in the middle of the line as a rookie.

With a year of experience under his belt and confidence that he can handle his blocking responsibilities, the Cowboys are looking for more from Frederick this season. The plan is for Frederick to do more work setting the protections at the line of scrimmage so quarterback Tony Romo could focus on reading coverages before the snap.

“I’m going to try and do as much as I can to take as much as I can off Tony that he was doing before for the offensive line,” Frederick said, via ESPNDallas.com. “Not necessarily because I was a rookie or this or that, but because, if I can see it better, that’s going to take one thing off his plate and that’s going to help the team as a whole.”

Frederick said he thinks taking on those responsibilities will allow his teammates to play faster with less to think about. If first-round pick Zack Martin proves to be as quick a study as the young center, the offensive line should be a strength for the Cowboys this year.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Travis Frederick taking on more responsibility this season”
  1. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 7, 2014 2:21 PM

gotta love the Cowgirls… only relevant until opening day… but somehow get in the news

they may suck but as JJ says, they are popular

2. bcdc26 says: Jul 7, 2014 2:40 PM

I’ll admit I was one that wasn’t happy with his selection in the first round last year but of all the Dallas lineman I feel he has the best chance at being considered the best at his job in the entire league in the next few years. Now whether he could have still been picked up later in the draft is a different story but the commitment that Dallas is making to shoring up it’s line does have me optimistic. With Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and Frederick all being 23 years old, the thought is that when Romo does hang me up and a young QB is put behind them, they’ll have the ability to stay up right, learn and develop and maybe Dallas can have some better level of success

3. Grulks says: Jul 7, 2014 2:49 PM

I really hope they are able to effectively do this. One of the things that alwasys puzzled me was why they insisted on Romo setting protections AND changing offensive plays. It is the very reason that they always are fighting against the play clock.

4. 88xfactor says: Jul 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Gotta love this kid, always trying to get better. You’ll probably get the same work ethic from Zack Martin. To bad Romo’s in his last years an he’s finally gonna have a good, and getting better O line.

5. timebandit24 says: Jul 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Should be 1 of If not best o line in league…. Should make the average of both ol and dl 16th.

6. ottawabrave91 says: Jul 7, 2014 3:25 PM

he knows he will be better cuz he doesn’t have to play against dontari Poe again this year

7. starfan79 says: Jul 7, 2014 3:43 PM

Frederick is a player. He knows Football.. Wasnt thrilled with the pick but if you could go back and do the draft again he could have possibly been a top 15 pick. Solid O-Line this year should be able to keep the run game going and the clock ticking. Lets keep the Cowboy defense off the field for as long as possible,

8. dalfanforever says: Jul 7, 2014 4:03 PM

I wasn’t thrilled with the pick either, but even as a rookie, he was a stone and didn’t get moved out of position very easily. If he can take the burden of setting protections from Romo, that WILL help the offense and they should be able to get the plays off faster.

9. wheezerswin says: Jul 7, 2014 5:20 PM

Wisconsin always makes the best o-linemen. Lots of brats and cheese make big boys

10. robjr50 says: Jul 7, 2014 7:25 PM

with this line they need to run the ball. this will help protect romo and the defense.

11. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 7, 2014 7:26 PM

Frederick is an intelligent player that should have no problem assuming additional responsibility. It’s why Dallas drafted him in the first round.

12. manofaiki says: Jul 8, 2014 1:00 AM

Last year with the dead-last-ranked defense in the NFL, the Cowboys were still flirting with a playoff spot in week 16.

That was because the offense was just that good, ranking 5th in the league, I believe. This, despite the fact Dallas was VERY inconsistent when it cam to rushing the football.

Dallas had a top 5 passing attack and a rushing attack that was below average. One of the most exciting things about the additions to the OLine this offseason is that the addition of Martin and more depth could mean this is the year the Dallas adds an above average rushing attack to that potent passing game.

Avoiding so many 3rd and longs and converting more 3rd and shorts in the running game will keep that offense on the field, lead to extended drives, more points scored and a rested defense.

13. alongthegulf says: Jul 8, 2014 12:27 PM

Like a lot of Cowboy fans, I wasn’t thrilled that the ‘Boys took Frederick with the first pick. That was truly a stretch. I believe they could have waited and still picked Frederick up in the 2nd or 3rd round. My opinion had nothing to do with Frederick’s ability. I though he would turn out to be a very good center. I think the ‘Boys pick Frederick because they thought Frederick has leadership abilities and leadership has been lacking in the Cowboys organization for years. The ‘Boys need playmakers and leaders.