Brandon Weeden AP

One of the running storylines in Dallas this offseason has been the absence of quarterback Kyle Orton from team activities.

Whenever the issue is discussed, the need for Orton is usually framed as insurance for Tony Romo coming off of back surgery and the fact that Brandon Weeden would be next in line to take over the offense in the event that Romo is forced out of the lineup. Weeden’s teammates have shown their support for the former Browns first-round pick and Weeden himself says that he’s aiming to prove he’s the best man to fill the No. 2 role whether or not Orton rejoins the team..

“I’m going to go about my business the same way regardless. I haven’t met Kyle, so I can’t really speak on it, but whatever he decides to do — it’s kind of out of my control,” Weeden said, via the team’s website. “So what I’m worried about is, if I’m running with the twos out there, do my job to make the twos better. I want to make the team better any way I can, so it doesn’t change my mindset or the way I feel about it.”

It’s the only approach for Weeden to take, especially after having most of the offseason to work with the first team while Orton did his own thing and Romo recovered from surgery. That won’t make life any easier for the Cowboys if Romo should go down at some point this year, but it should make them a bit more comfortable with the prospect of playing Weeden if things wind up breaking that way.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Brandon Weeden: I’m going about things the same way whether Orton returns or not”
  1. steelerben says: Jul 8, 2014 2:49 PM

Playing with the twos is definitely making the team better. All of the DBs are getting a lot of practice reeling in interceptions.

2. ctiggs says: Jul 8, 2014 2:51 PM

daLOLas #nobodyhasitbetter

3. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 8, 2014 2:54 PM

Weeden will continue to do what he knows best to prepare himself for the coming season. Binge watching Matlock, going to cafeterias and shooing children off of his lawn.

4. dalfanforever says: Jul 8, 2014 2:55 PM

I would expect nothing less. You have to prepare and be ready no matter what. Your QB can go down anytime by getting blindsided by a DE or just simply falling ill during a game. If you’re not ready, you’re a liability.

Orton probably didn’t want to prepare for the grind of a season anymore and wanted to do something else. That’s fine, but he’s not making things easy on himself by racking up fines every day he’s not there. Just come back or retire. It makes no difference to me personally. Just send the check in to Jerrah and we’ll call it good or get on a plane and grab your playbook.

I don’t feel good about Weeden if Romo goes down again, which would pretty much end the season because our defense cannot take the ball away, nor could it hold a lead, no matter how big once the offense gave it to them.

5. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 8, 2014 2:59 PM

It would not appear that Orton is showing up but if he does, the Cowboys have only kept two QBs on the active roster the last couple seasons so where would that leave Weeden?

6. afcdomination says: Jul 8, 2014 3:00 PM

its just amazing to me that you have a guy in Orton who could start somewhere even if it was spot starting, and he just totally gave it up. didn’t want to start in KC, took the backup gig with a very stable QB situation in Dallas. I just don’t really get it. how can you be at that level and have no real desire to play?

7. fordmandalay says: Jul 8, 2014 3:01 PM

REALLY looking forward to Dallas going 6-10 this year! Oh this is gonna be fun (pops more popcorn)

8. jjackwagon says: Jul 8, 2014 3:16 PM

If Dallas trades Orton to Oakland, he immediately moves to #1, but I can’t blame him for not wanting to die in the black stool.

9. scrp2 says: Jul 8, 2014 3:18 PM

Kind of reminds me of when Trent Green went down and Kurt Warner took over. Nobody gave any chance for Warner to succeed.

Weeden might take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

10. usmutts says: Jul 8, 2014 3:25 PM

“Not sure I feel great about Weeden backing up Romo. It was like having Dan Quayle as vice president.”

More like having Sarah Palin as your VP running mate. Hopeless.

11. brokebackbrees says: Jul 8, 2014 3:29 PM

0-16!! Truth hurts.

12. schmitty2 says: Jul 8, 2014 3:34 PM

scrp2 says:Jul 8, 2014 3:18 PM

Weeden might take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

Are you really comparing Weeden to Kurt Warner?? And are you really saying that Weeden could maybe take the Boys to the SB?? The Rams had a HOF rb and 2 wr’s that could arguably end up there. With the exception of Demarco Murray (if he’s healthy), Witten and Bryant there is no offense not to mention the defense might end up the worst in the league. Face it, if Romo goes down the season is over!

13. shatho1 says: Jul 8, 2014 3:56 PM

@brokebackbrees
    lol u only wish

14. weepingjebus says: Jul 8, 2014 3:57 PM

Weeden v. Orton II: Judgment Day! It’s about to get Biblical!

Sorry, something’s gotta sell tickets around here or Jerry’ll have my hide.

15. danind says: Jul 8, 2014 4:25 PM

The rich get richer. Dynasty in Big D!

16. dws123 says: Jul 8, 2014 4:55 PM

Whether Orton comes back or not, the Cowboys do have some options within the building that can beat out Weeden for the backup role.

Rowdy, for example.

17. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 8, 2014 5:47 PM

As someone who takes personal pleasure in watching the Cowboys lose, I can honestly say that Weeden scares me more than Orton. Weeden with some weapons may not be as bad as Weeden in Cleveland. And he has Dez back, who is probably the biggest reason Weeden had stats and film to be drafted in the first place.

18. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 8, 2014 7:05 PM

Brandon Weeden isn’t as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He threw for 285 yds or more in 7 of his 20 starts that included 4 games for over 300 yards with Greg Little and Davone Bess with skillets for hands. Tom Bradys stats would look horrible with WRS that can’t catch a cold in January also. The passes they dropped weren’t even tough catches. Almost all were ones that hit them right in the hands.

He does take a while to get rid of the ball but with better WRS, if forced into action will be a solid backup.

Romo is no prize as a starter. He rarely comes through in the clutch and the Cowboys defense was horrible with Ware. It will be scary how bad they may look without him

19. krypticdoes says: Jul 8, 2014 7:16 PM

Eaglesnoles, weeden didnt have wepons in cleveland?… Um.. Josh gordon who led the league in yards, and jordan cameron who had the 2nd most yards of TEs… But yea. He didnt have weapons.

20. deerhuntinfool71 says: Jul 8, 2014 7:46 PM

If dallas cowboys line is as bad as the last 2 years weeden doesnt stand a chance! I have seen snails look more mobile!! Any pressure and he really melts down and make horrible decisions. I was a weeden supporter in cle. But couldnt take it anymore when i guy is wide open running 20 yards across the middle of the field and he wouldnt throw the damn ball. Sorry dallas he sucks.

21. ytownjoe says: Jul 8, 2014 9:30 PM

He will be sacked more than any QB in the NFL no matter where he plays. The game is too fast for him.

22. 2distorted says: Jul 8, 2014 10:00 PM

I’m in the camp that Weeden cancels Orton. One or the other, I won’t be heartbroken if Kyle gives money back we can use. Hanging a hat on that he is the difference if Romo goes down, is laughable. Week 17 last year was a punt. Give me a break. Let’s have a round robin on all the merits of “your” nfl back up.

Disclaimer – I back Romo. Good QB. Paired with sieve for defense on recent years. Hopefully there is a run in his twilight. Good luck for us finding our next future QB.

23. wbennettsr says: Jul 8, 2014 10:05 PM

Who’s kidding who here if Romo stays up they are looking at 5 win season. this team is awful, and Jerry Jones is laughing all the way to the bank, saying to himself what a bunch of suckers, (COWBOY DIEHARD FANS)

24. wbennettsr says: Jul 8, 2014 10:12 PM

I don’t blame Ware for leaving, whats the point in getting a 90 million dollar contract one year and Jones asking for it back the next year, I hope you have a great year DWare.

25. doe22us says: Jul 8, 2014 11:23 PM

eaglesnoles05 says:
    Jul 8, 2014 5:47 PM

Cute, ask Browns fans they will tell you not to get your hopes up.

26. krypticdoes says: Jul 9, 2014 9:15 AM

@brownsmakemezrazy
    Josh gordon, jordan cameron. You act like bess and little where the only receivers there. Oh and how could we forget about the worst interception thrown in gistory by weeden? He isnt that bad.. Not

27. doomsdaydefensetx says: Jul 9, 2014 11:39 AM

All of you wondering why Orton wouldn’t show up or retire.
    Have you not seen the pictures of him hammered drunk in the club with a bottle of Jack Daniels in hand? Lol
    He is out of the country somewhere nice and drunk.
    Should be go to go by September.

28. usdcoyotesfan says: Jul 9, 2014 11:57 AM

I loved it last year when Orton threw the game-ending interception against the Eagles, and the Cowboys’ owner turned around and yelled at his GM.