Cordarrelle Patterson: I’m going to be a top 5 playmaker

AP

Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson scored nine touchdowns during his rookie season, earning himself an instant rep as a player who was a threat to score almost any time the ball was in his hands.

Patterson has been working on his route running with offensive coordinator Norv Turner this offseason in order to make himself into a complete receiver who can impact the game in a variety of ways, but that isn’t stopping him from keeping a focus on making the big plays as well. Patterson scored on catches, runs and kick returns last season and he hopes to continue those ways while becoming one of the top playmakers in the entire league.

“I’m going to be a top-5 playmaker,” Patterson said, via NFL.com. “I’m a playmaker, I like to make plays. Like I tell them, just get the ball in my hands I feel like I’m special with it. I just like to do special things with the ball.”

If Patterson’s work on route running has the desired effect, he should be in position to make even more big plays this season. Last year, he averaged just 10.4 yards per catch overall because he made a lot of catches close to the line of scrimmage, but Turner should be able to put him in more positions to hurt the defense as Patterson’s technical skills progress. That should be a boon to Matt Cassel, Teddy Bridgewater or anyone else playing quarterback in Minnesota.

114 responses to “Cordarrelle Patterson: I’m going to be a top 5 playmaker

1. First you need a real QB. Not trying to hate I just don’t think the Vikings have found their answer at QB yet.

2. Anyone who saw him last year realizes how good this guy is gonna be.

Bigger, stronger, more all-around player than Percy Harvin. Gonna be special.

3. HUGE difference between running routes vs air and trying to beat the jam when the bullets are live – This was his biggest problem at Tennessee and was an issue his rookie season last year as well. Its his toughness w/o the ball that needs improving even more so than his route running.

4. Wow do him and Peterson fight for mirror time to admire themselves? Here comes T.O. 2.0.

Try catching more than 45 balls in a season before you talk chump. You sound just like the fans with the boasting yet accomplishing nothing.

5. Big Viking fan here, and I love Cordarrelle, but damned, I wish these players would just stop telling everyone what they’re going to do and just do it. Doesn’t anyone play with class anymore?

6. Top-5 playmaker on a Bottom-5 team. Apparently AP’s Me-Me-Me attitude is infectious. He’s good but he’ll never be great with that team. #truth

7. If the Vegas line is 0.5 PASSING TDs for Cordarrelle this season, I’m easily taking the over.

8. This kid has a ton of potential. With All Day drawing a loaded box it opens plenty of space for him to work, as well. The only issue is if he has someone that can get him the ball. Bridgewater may or may not be that guy.

9. He’s a talented receiver but he needs to remember that saying it doesn’t mean it’s more likely to happen.

One of the many reasons why I love Larry Fitzgerald. He stays quiet and does his job. Doesn’t really showboat when he makes big plays either.

10. Patterson will follow the now well established pattern of getting the hell out of Minnesota and leaving the farm club known as the Vikings. One day he will make a fine Seahawk.

11. themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jul 8, 2014 3:56 PM

He didn’t say top 5 receiver. He said top 5 playmaker. He was that last year. So it’s not like he was making some bold prediction or anything.

12. He’ll get his touchdowns. He is a quality athlete. Actually he’s already a top 10 talent in my eyes. But I don’t think he’s quite top 5 yet. You’ll need to Bridgewater to throw it a TON in order to make it to the top 5. But you have Adrian Peterson trying to carry the ball every down. If Peterson is on my team, my QB won’t be airing it out all the time.

13. Not hating at all but I`m not sold on any QB on the Vikings roster.Bridgewater has to prove something to me 1st and maybe I could agree with what Patterson is saying…..

14. Q: Where do Viking players go when their career is over?

A: Generally Seattle, for one more big paycheck.

15. He already is a top 5 player.

Way, way better than anybody on the Packers garbage team.

Better than Randle “Cataracts” Cobb

Way better than Jordy “Party Mitts” Nelson too.

Honestly, I don’t even know why Green Bay shows up to play this year. If not for your drug addicted QB you’d be 0-16. Your team is that bad.

2014 NFC North Standings:

1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Detroit Lions
    3) Chicago Bears
    4) Green Bay Cheeseheads

Book It

16. I wish him well but I have to wonder if he is even aware of the public perception he creates when he runs his mouth ahead of actually accomplishing something. Its one thing for the Viking fan base to come on and predict Superbowls and playoffs, they can do so anonymously and everybody else already knows they are totally delusional and clueless. But when a player who had 9 TD’s comes on to predict a Top 5 season when they are lacking a QB, people start to wonder if they spiked the drinking water in Minnesota with peyote powder. Well to be fair, we were already wondering that when they elected a pro wrestler to governor and a B level comedian to the US Senate.

17. He will be a combination of Devin Hester and Randy Moss!
    At least in terms of Super Bowl rings won.

18. Since when do players have to be robots? Some of us like to see the actual human side of players. Plus there’s nothing else to write about so stop cryin….

19. and our little sisters to the east are trying to sign an old,slow Jody Nelson to a 62 million dollar contract. You really wonder why they cant make it past the 1st round of the playoffs year in and year out……

20. Whatjusthappend says:

I didnt know our entire fanbase predicted we’re going to the superbowl. Its a couple delusional fans that are very optimistic and post their opinions, thus creating the perception that every viking fan thinks the same way.

21. The offseason…a fun and exciting time for Vikings fans…when there’s still hope….this usually runs til about week 4 or 5 when they realize its over and the “wait til next year” begins.

Poor franchise.

My favorite post was by rodgersfeeblecollarbone … haha. Ripping the Packers receivers. Good stuff. Remember the Sunday night game at the toilet last year? Packers scored on every possession?

“SKOAL”

22. What is it with these Vikings players? AP, Greg Jennings, now Patterson? They yak yak yak and make it all about me me me.

Notice there’s little talk from the Packers? That’s because they’re focused on the goal that matters…they know it takes a team effort to win, and their eyes are on the prize…winning the Super Bowl!

23. If he had been honest about it:

“I’m going to be a top-5 playmaker on my team,” Patterson said, adding that “it’s not that hard to do here.”

Patterson later confirmed that, “I’m no where even close to a top 5 WR, let alone player, in this league, but I’m pretty sure I can become one if I start playing more Madden.”

24. Uh, boy. Man just shut up and play. Yeah, you’re good, and as a Viking fan, I hope you’re the top playmaker in the league this year. But let your performance on the field do the talking.

25. Homeless guy in the parking lot: I am going to make millions on collecting cans!

point? Talk is cheap… Stop being insecure and egotistical and just show you are a top 5 playmaker.

26. There was no better all purpose WR drafted in 2013. That will go nicely with the best QB drafted in 2014 – Bridgewater. Vikes are going to be the biggest surprise improvement of 2014. Giving all the other NFC North Teams SKOL-iosis.

27. All the talk of Minnesota being the farm club for Seattle is SO original. Come up with something new, even if you have to steal it from someone who actually has some witt, you chumps.

Green Bay isn’t winning the superbowl this year.
    Seattle isn’t going to repeat, nor are they becoming a dynasty, and every body knows this.

Cordarrelle Patterson will be an elite reciever in this beautiful league, we know this. And I’d still take him over that baby named Harvin, any day!

Skol Vikings my friends, Skol Vikings.

28. suns11111 says: Jul 8, 2014 4:07 PM

glad the Pats traded that pick and got Dobson instead….opps.

—————

Boy, lol so am I!!! You can keep Dropson!!!

29. ravens2xworldchamps says: Jul 8, 2014 4:32 PM

But you still couldn’t beat the Ravens in the Snowstorm at the Bank of ’13

—————-

You mean the refs, there was even a Yahoo article about it.

30. If Josh Gordon can get it done with the QBs they had in cleveland then I would say an ex ProBowler in a Norv Turner run offense can get it done with Flashy.

You will get to enjoy it twice a year packer fans. Since thats all you got in green bay to enjoy, besides that tree on the other side of the farmhouse that the packers named after Goldilocks.

31. 5 TDs in last 4 games. New OC that will actually play him full time. Go ahead and laugh people. He is good for 12-14 TDs this season. How many other WR’s in the NFL will score more? He is top 5.

32. ponderthis12 says:
    Jul 8, 2014 4:16 PM
    themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jul 8, 2014 3:56 PM

Normal Viking fan TOP 5 reciever LOL he ranked 56th last year and you think Top 5 Playmaker? Funny how goofballs on your side put down Nelson Cobb etc etc etc yet say thinks like this

Better to let people think you are ignorant then to speak and prove you are a Viking fan

33. So happy the Vikings traded Percy for the pick to get CP, he will be 10 times better than Percy Harvin will ever be. Also somebody tell me why the Vikings won’t be a 10+ game winner this year. Teddy B has been lighting it up, Adrian Peterson will be beast mode as usual, and a decent WR core that has BIG play ability.

34. I remember when I had my first beer, but I didnt spout off to the media afterwards.

35. Wow with receiving stats that are this good how can he not be already fitted for a bust in Canton? He was only 3 receptions and 200 yds shy of the packers 4th string receiver Jarrett Boykin. Once again Viking fans you are the champions of the off season congratulations! I am sure any year now it will actually translate into something tangible on the field. Until then please continue to spew your nonsensical ramblings about unproven rookie qb’s and the dynasty in the making that you surely must be with all of your increasingly mediocre talent.

P.S. is Skol Scandinavian for stupid?

36. There isn’t a player in the NFL like him in terms of size, speed, and being able to score off the pass or the run. Every time they lined him up in the backfield and pitched it back to him he got big yardage. Seven offensive touchdowns in the last eight games suggest he’s already a top 5 playmaker. Let’s keep it quiet, though, so we can sneak up on a few teams early in the season.

37. Holy God…they just can’t get enough of themselves over there.

I’m glad that they have all the Super Bowl trophies to back up their egomania.

Oh, wait.

38. Sheesh, where is this hatred coming from?
    Look, undoubtedly, some media jackal pushed a microphone in his face and asked him, “So how do you think you will stack up in the NFL this year?”
    What did you WANT the guy to say?
    “Gee, I hope to make the team?”

It is highly unlikely Patterson chased down a media rep and said, “Hey…………you………..stop…………I wanna tell you how great I will be.”

Get over it, folks. Everyone knows the proof is in the pudding. Why would you get all riled up about a little pre-season speculation? This is the time of year that EVERY player and EVERY team thinks they have a shot at greatness. Obviously, that isn’t all going to happen, but again, what would you want them to say?

Relax.

39. vikings84 says:
    Jul 8, 2014 5:55 PM

They are the Vikings with a unproven QB
    CP was not as great as you are claiming he was last year Yet you Viking fans use the excuse he didn’t have a quality QB then disparage the Packers receivers when Rodgers wasn’t playing
    Sheesh take off the Hamm’s Beer inspired Pre season Goggles already Quit eating all the lutefisk and step away from your paper/ keyboard champions

40. Even on the vikings threads there are more Queenie trolls talking about GB than GB guys. Hilarious how you can’t stop talking about us…

41. pkrlvr says: Jul 8, 2014 7:03 PM

=================================
    Who is “us?”
    When did you make the team?

42. Well, step one should be becoming a starter for the vikings.

Step two should be to get up to 500 yards receiving and/or 50 catches.

Step three would be stay quiet until step 2 or step 1 is accomplished.

Step four would be to improve enough to deserve another contract.

Step five would be to stay quiet until he is a top 40 receiver in the NFL.

43. It’s so cute; these vikings fans are all over Rodgers for answering questions on his weekly radio talk show, claiming he’s always talking about himself, but when their own team answers questions, they’re exempt from the same derision?

Only in minnesota.

44. I’m pretty sure very few of the people that posted here didn’t see the actual interview. It’s not like he just came out and made the comment. He was asked if he would be a top 5 receiver and he declined to comment but he was asked more than once and was pleaded to for an answer. It was re: fantasy football, BTW. After being nearly begged for an answer by Akbar Gbajabiamilla sp? (say that fast 5 times), he replied. What’s he gonna say??? Anything else says no confidence. He is, obviously, confident in his ability with the ball no matter how it ends up in his hands.

45. And our little sisters to the east are trying to lock up an old and slow white guy along with a 5 foot Rachel Cobb, I can see why them drunk scoonies are jealous!

46. Remember when Prince wrote and recorded that crappy song for the Vikings just before they choked the Championship game away?

Oh my, how we all laughed and laughed.

Good Times!

47. Did this guy fear that Bridgewater was getting too much press for bragging too much, of things he hasn’t accomplished yet either? Wow, talk about a shallow mindset on this team. Just shut up.

It’s forcing their fans to resort to their time-worn insults and put downs….because, as everyone knows…..its the only ammunition they have. They have nothing to fight with but childishness.

It’s beginning to make me feel sympathetic to the real Viking fans….the ones that know their football and have a sincere appreciation for it. Hard to find here though.

48. I don’t know why people have such a problem with players thinking they are special. All Patterson did last year was in the last few games and he tore it up. The guy doesn’t get in trouble. He just loves the game and always has a smile. This dude really is humble and that interview like most fish replies out of people by asking the same thing 5 different ways till they get the line they want.

I think Patterson could be everything Josh Gordon was last year. I seriously feel bad for the Browns, because they lost a HUGE play maker in Gordon. Stuff like that sucks. Like Percy Harvin being injured. I always want to see these guys play.

Now, if they ever get as bad as T.O. I’ll change my tune. That guy was obnoxious!

49. I hope the Vikings improve this year, I really do.

But on most all NFL websites that do power rankings, the Vikings are at or near the bottom of them. They do have the possibility of improving with some of their up and coming players. That said, Cordarrelle should be working, studying, learning and not talking.

And their fans, well they are going to troll on in the hopes their team becomes relevant again.

The real rivalry in the NFC North is Packers/Bears. But you don’t see near as many of their fan base trolling on other NFC North team stories.. They know how to show respect. Its a different story up in Minnesota.. once you put on that purple..

50. I suppose it’s safe to assume that every Vikings fan that ridiculed Jermichael Finley for his tweets and public statements is hoping Patterson would shut his big yap right about now.

51. I wish players wouldn’t make claims like this in the offseason, but he very well may be right. Don’t forget that last year Josh Gordon led the NFL in receiving yards under Norv Turner…..and with worse QB situation and worse overall team than the Vikings have. Gordon may be (if his career isn’t over) a better straight-up receiver at this point in his career than Patterson, but Patterson is much more versatile and has the added benefit of a stronger cast of playmakers on offense to help draw defenses away from him.

52. grubbyolebowski says:

…The real rivalry in the NFC North is Packers/Bears….
    ================================

Agreed. With 16 division titles since the merger, the Vikings have historically completely dominated the division. Meanwhile, the Packers and Bears can be considered the only real rivalry as they are in a cute little battle for 2nd place with 9 division titles each.

53. GenXJay says:
    Jul 8, 2014 5:07 PM

Shhh, Corredelle. A dynasty is being built

What are you talking about? The dynasty is alive and well and its called the Dynasty of Futility… been chugging along for 53 years!

I love the posters who say bilgewater has been tearing it up. What is he exactly tearing up the non contact, non padded ota’s or has it been the Madden? I see he has made such an impression that he hasn’t past Ponder yet.

54. All you guys doggin Percy forgot real quick how much you loved him when he was on the field for you. He missed THREE games in the first three years in Minny. In your minds he played three games in three years.

Remember you did NOT use the Percy pick to get Patterson. You did not trade players… you could’ve had both of them. But Percy hated ponder and eventually playing in Minny.

I don’t have a crystal ball like some of you like to sound, but Percy has a really good qb now while Patterson may or may not(hope TB does well).

One thing for sure is that if Percy has a monster season you viking fans will be sick of hearing about it. Saying Patterson is ten times the player Percy will ever be is funny. Percy is 24 if I am not mistaken. Russell Wilson is older than him.

Long way to go yet. Percy has a Superbowl dagger-in-the-heart highlight play. Patterson has…nothing yet(a terrible qb so far)

New year coming up soon. Everyone is healthy and happy. Should be fun!

55. The vikes struck gold on this guy. Ntm only one year of WR at TEN if I remember right. He does need to be a little bit more clutch at the end of games if my memory serves me correctly.

56. vikings84 says:
    Jul 8, 2014 5:55 PM

This comment is why everyone laughs at Vikings fans. First off, the pick you got for Harvin wasn’t used for Patterson. If you were a fan of the team, you should know that. Secondly, you people actually believe that Patterson really is 10x better than Harvin and that the Vikings absolutely will win 10+ games this year. Bridgewater has been lighting it up? Really? Against who? It’s almost sad.

57. The only problem? He plays for the Vikings… They have a guy with the last name “Bridge Water” throwing him the ball… What the hell kind of name is that anyway? Frankly, it sounds made up if you ask me… Was he born on a bridge over some water?

58. Good Luck With That… Patterson has talent, loads of it and loads of potential, but… Without the Trolls coming out, who is going to get him the ball? The Vikings have a stable of QB’s that even the Raiders would pass on. Teddy Bridgewater is the wild card in this stable, but having hands that are the same size as a toddlers won’t help his cause. And for those of you who have never handled a football before, the ball is bigger in the NFL than in the NCAA.

59. I’ve never seen a worse team have so many players that talk so much trash. Patterson wouldn’t even be a starting WR on any other NFC North team… he’s a kick returner, a good one, sure, but he should set a goal to maybe become a 500+ yard WR before he starts talking about being a top 5 anything

60. Interesting that there are more Seahawk and Packer fan posts than Viking fan posts — if our team sucks so bad, why do you all care so much?

61. We don’t…and your team sucks regardless. We’re returning the favor for all the Vikes-trolls that post all over every story.

62. They’re not Viking trolls, they’re packer fans disguised to sound like viking trolls. Nobody can be that annoyed. I refuse to believe it. The pftpoet cannot possible think he’s doing anything positive out there. He has to be a packer fan. He has to.

63. Talk about how bad Percy is and you get seahawk fans…

Too difficult a concept for you?

110 million people watched Percy’s KO return and jet sweeps in the Superbowl. Nobody thinks Patterson can be ten times the player Percy is but hopeful, bitter Minnesota fans.

64. Percy Harvin Stats
    MIN
    2009 GP-15 REC-60 TGTS-91 (65.9%) YDS-790 AVG-13.2 LNG-51 TD-6 FD-42 FUM-1 LST-0
    2010 GP-14 REC-71 TGTS-110 (64.5%) YDS-868 AVG-12.2 LNG-53 TD-5 FD-41 FUM-0 LST-0
    2011 GP-16 REC-87 TGTS-123 (70.0%) YDS-967 AVG-11.1 LNG-52 TD-6 FD-45 FUM-2 LST-2
    2012 GP-9 REC-62 TGTS-85 (72.0%) YDS-677 AVG-10.9 LNG-45 TD-3 FD-36 FUM-0 LST-0

SEA
    2013 GP-1 REC-1 TGTS-1 (100%) YDS-17 AVG-17.0 LNG-17 TD-0 FD-1 FUM-0 LST-0

Cordarrelle Patterson Stats
    2013 GP-5 REC-45 TGTS-78 (57.7%) YDS-469 AVG-10.4 LNG-79 TD-4 FD-19 FUM-0 LST-0

Really??? Harvin had only one pass thrown to him the entire season??? Well… I’m sure he’ll do much better this year (he’d have to really try hard to do worse).

65. filthymcfunny1 says:
    Jul 8, 2014 5:11 PM

Super Bowl XXXII Broncos owner Pat Bowlen says “This Ones For John” Well in Super Bowl 50 Zygie Wilf says “This Ones For Adrian”
    ___________________________

Comparing AD’s career to John Elway’s is comical. Elway had been to 3 SBs before he won back to back titles in the last 2 years of his 15 year career.

Even if somehow, the Vikings miraculously win a superbowl (and it won’t be this year), AD doesn’t get the “This one’s for Adrian” not yet….