Jim Kelly has spoken to groups wanting to buy Bills

Jim Kelly AP

Appearing at his annual youth football camp Thursday, former Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly told multiple media outlets he’s spoken to various figures with interest in purchasing the Bills.

“I’m just doing what I can to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo,” Kelly said, according to Syracuse.com. “Things really haven’t changed. Yes, I’ve met with different people. I hope it gets to a point where we get somebody that’s really committed to Buffalo and to turning this program. And to play football in January.”

Kelly indicated Thursday he has not joined an ownership group, per multiple reports.

The Buffalo News reported Thursday that investor Jeffrey Gundlach has talked to Kelly about joining his potential bid for the Bills. Kelly’s brother, Dan, said in April that prospective buyers of the club had reached out to the former Bills quarterback, per the News.

Kelly, who has undergone treatment for oral cancer, said Thursday he has lost 51 pounds, according to NBC affiliate WGRZ-TV in Buffalo.

“I just started eating real food within the last week,” Kelly said, according a video clip on the WGRZ-TV website.

Kelly, noting that he was told to be “patient” as he goes through his recovery, noted: “I’m not that patient kind of guy.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Jim Kelly has spoken to groups wanting to buy Bills”
  1. cajunaise says: Jul 10, 2014 4:50 PM

One shouldn’t use the word “patient” with someone battling cancer.

Best of luck to you, Jim!

2. mailcall2 says: Jul 10, 2014 4:50 PM

Not a Bills fan, but definately a Jim Kelly fan so I too hope they eventually play into January, with you on the sideline.

3. dchetz says: Jul 10, 2014 4:59 PM

Having Kelly involved in an ownership group is much like cornbread… there ain’t noting wrong with that!

4. joe.attaboy says: Jul 10, 2014 5:26 PM

The man’s a stud. Cancer sucks. You go, Jim.

5. ccc23454 says: Jul 10, 2014 5:57 PM

I hope Jim Kelly has nothing to do with ownership, they must stay in buffalo but I don’t want him as the next jim brown. I have meet him several times and always come away same thought about Jim Kelly and its not very positive!

go bills!!!

6. rupp246 says: Jul 10, 2014 6:11 PM

Not a Bills fan either but I hope he can talk some sense into these potential buyers to stay in Buffalo. Kelly was a great qb and I wish him all the best.

7. rrhess1529 says: Jul 10, 2014 6:20 PM

Yeah baby..Go Buffalo..

8. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 10, 2014 11:18 PM

Nice to see Jim Kelly staying active and engaged while dealing with his health issues. Stay strong Jim!

9. billswillnevermove says: Jul 11, 2014 7:17 AM

Jim Kelly is Buffalo!!!

10. joetoronto says: Jul 11, 2014 9:30 AM

“I hope it gets to a point where we get somebody that’s really committed to Buffalo”

Even Jim Kelly is telling you that this team is about to move, time to wake up.

11. billswillnevermove says: Jul 11, 2014 10:50 AM

joetoronto says:Jul 11, 2014 9:30 AM

Even Jim Kelly is telling you that this team is about to move, time to wake up.
    _________________________________
    No, it’s time for you to give up. Toronto is not getting a football team and never will. The Bills will move to Toronto when your Maple Laughs win the Cup, which is never!!!

12. iloveagoodnap says: Jul 11, 2014 12:34 PM

joetoronto says: Jul 11, 2014 9:30 AM

Even Jim Kelly is telling you that this team is about to move, time to wake up.
    ………………….
    Your interpretations are quite hilarious.

It means we don’t know the next owner, and when we do, he hopes its one of the many in the group of potential owners 100% committed to Buffalo. What you fail to mention in your post is how he also said “Nothing’s changed”. Now, anyone with knowledge of the situation knows JK has been adamant in his stance for 7 years now that he is extremely confident the team isn’t going anywhere.

But, we all know how you choose to ignore facts in favor of trying to twist a mere segment of a quote into your favor. Whatever floats your boat.

13. Please Ban TheStrategyExpert From Posting says: Jul 11, 2014 12:43 PM

Lol @ joetoronto.

The dude is obviously a troll, he comments on literally every one just to get Bills fans going, and he succeeds. Granted, I think it’s pathetic, but regardless it’s no sense in getting worked up over cause that’s exactly what he wants.

Google the full interview with Jim Kelly yesterday. In no way shape or form does he indicate what Joe is suggesting he indicates. Don’t let Joe scare you, anger you or fool you Bills fans. He knows nothing, other than the fact he wants to tick you all off.

14. billswillnevermove says: Jul 11, 2014 1:10 PM

Please Ban TheStrategyExpert From Posting says:Jul 11, 2014 12:43 PM

Lol @ joetoronto.

_________________________________
    You are basically right, he is a troll. But you forgot one thing. The guy is dumb as a rock. He can’t even read his own newspaper and see that nobody in the Toronto group can or will outbid Terry Pegula or any of the other groups commited to keeping the team in Buffalo.

15. captbuff says: Jul 11, 2014 2:55 PM

I would hate my life too if I was a Raiders fan who lived in Toronto. Whatever gets him through the day.

16. gmen32 says: Jul 12, 2014 10:45 AM

Re Joetoronto: like many people in Toronto do, Joe ignores the facts and assumes that the NFL wants the Bills/franchise in Toronto. I so look forward to the day when the announcement is made that the Bills will remain in Buffalo.
    Toronto can then give it’s full support to it’s loser sport teams. The Argos win championships and deserve support but Toronto chooses to ignore them. What a screwed up city.