NFL names Matt Birk director of football development

2012 NFL Honors - Show Getty Images

Upon his retirement as a player following the 2012 season, former Vikings and Ravens center Matt Birk took a job working for as an appeals officer jointly approved by the NFLPA and NFL.

For his second post-retirement year, Birk will only be working for the NFL. The league announced Thursday that Birk has been named the league’s director of football development. His new job will have him working with players, coaches and front office personnel to develop the game and he will also assist in game day operations.

“I’m very excited to begin this next chapter of my football career,” Birk said in a release from the league. “It’s a real honor for me to be entrusted with developing the game in so many different ways.”

Birk joins Merton Hanks, Dwight Hollier, Patrick Kerney, James Thrash, David Tyree, Troy Vincent and Charles Way as former NFL players who now work for the league.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “NFL names Matt Birk director of football development”
  1. ravensmike410 says: Jul 10, 2014 5:29 PM

Good for Matt. Class guy. Great teammate.

2. flvikesfan says: Jul 10, 2014 5:59 PM

Love that this guy wore Purple for so many years. He is the best of the best, in football and life.

3. elliottcovert says: Jul 10, 2014 6:39 PM

Great player, class act, one of my personal favorites. I rooted for him every opportunity and I’m glad (though not surprised) that he’s succeeding in the next phase of his career.

4. bucsorbust says: Jul 10, 2014 7:30 PM

Congrats. Now, let’s see if we can develop a way to: 1. Lower pre-season game prices; 2. Stop the pass interference and personal foul calls when a CB/S just grazes a WR/TE/RB catching the ball; 3. Make kickoffs relevant again; 4. Get those stupid looking dancing robots off of Fox.

5. raiderapologist says: Jul 10, 2014 9:52 PM

What are his views on Michael Sam?

6. kcroyal says: Jul 10, 2014 10:13 PM

He’s a republican. Pass.

7. norcal031 says: Jul 10, 2014 10:14 PM

24 Days.

8. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 10, 2014 10:55 PM

Glad atleast one of the long time Vikings eventually won a Super Bowl. Loved this guy on the 93x morning show.

9. Ed Bandell says: Jul 10, 2014 11:19 PM

That picture sort of makes him look like he is some voodoo shaman or something with his voodoo doll football player firmly in grasp.

Birk was a good player here with the Ravens and it is a shame we didn’t get to see him in his prime. Helped us win a superbowl and we certainly missed him after seeing Gino Grandkowski play the following year. That was ugly.

Hopefully Zuttah can step in and be an upgrade.

10. banky74 says: Jul 11, 2014 12:00 AM

I think it was Birk’s 3rd or 4th season with the Vikes that my wife and I spotted him having dinner and a beer at a bar/restaurant in downtown Minneapolis called Gluek’s.

We didn’t want to intrude on his dinner but we asked the waitress to bring him another pint of whatever beer he was drinking and to put it on our tab and to mention that we were very happy to have him on the team.

He could have just waived or nothing at all for that matter, but instead he came by our table and chatted with us about pretty much everything but football for the next couple of hours then insisted on signing an autograph for my wife and having me take a photo of the two of them.

The guy is a gentlemen through and through and maybe more importantly, just a regular guy.

11. southpaw2k says: Jul 11, 2014 7:34 AM

Love Matt Birk. Very soft-spoken man, but also extremely smart. I’m sure he’ll do exceedingly well in his new role.

Also banky, that’s an awesome story of how you ran into him at a restaurant.