Larry Fitzgerald only focusing on 2014 with Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald AP

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has been one of the greatest players to wear a Cardinals uniform in any of the towns that the team has called home, but there’s been talk of late about the end of his time in Arizona.

Some of that is just the practical matter of Fitzgerald entering his 11th professional season and the unavoidable fact that he’s closer to the end of the line than the start of his career. There’s also lingering memories of trade chatter from last year to go with a huge $23.6 million cap number for next season to fuel speculation that Fitzgerald may not be in the desert forever, but, for now, Fitzgerald says his only focus at the moment is on the 2014 season.

“Like I view every year. I just cherish every moment I have on the field,” Fitzgerald said, via Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “It’s what I love to do. I really enjoy it. It’s fun to go out there and compete and be around the guys every day. I just cherish that. So, whatever happens after the season, happens after the season. But most of that stuff is out of my control anyway.”

Fitzgerald remains a productive receiver for Arizona, although Michael Floyd’s emergence has changed his role. Fitzgerald lined up out of the slot more often in 2013, which left him shy of 1,000 receiving yards even as he caught 10 touchdowns.

Would a repeat of that year be enough to keep him in Arizona without a revised contract? Probably not and that’s sure to be a big storyline early in the 2015 offseason.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald only focusing on 2014 with Cardinals”
  1. jjackwagon says: Jul 11, 2014 10:19 AM

This team won 10 games last year, overlook them at your peril.

2. reesesteel23 says: Jul 11, 2014 10:20 AM

When are you coming home??? The Vikes need you!!

3. RegisHawk says: Jul 11, 2014 10:20 AM

His career is winding down. It’s a shame he didn’t get to the playoffs more often.

4. keepingitlogical says: Jul 11, 2014 10:21 AM

Just a classy dude

5. trbowman says: Jul 11, 2014 10:22 AM

Don’t get the obsession with Floyd. He’s a solid number two, but that’s it to me. I don’t see the elite level ability.

When they signed that it was with the idea Fitz was a Card for life. I don’t think any non QB is the face of his team the way Larry is the face of the Cardinals, so he’s special in that regard.

6. aa1829 says: Jul 11, 2014 10:23 AM

Please consider the Green Bay Packers as your next destination, when your salary requirements are more doable. I am sure Mr. Rodgers would love to have you as a target.

7. thepftpoet says: Jul 11, 2014 10:26 AM

Larry Fitzgerald is past his prime.

Make way for the new age of Elite Receivers.

Such as Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright and Kyle Rudolph.

8. 1pwrightt says: Jul 11, 2014 10:35 AM

I think Fitz will have a great year but the progression of Michael Floyd is going make it a hard decision to pay Fitz $23 million dollars in 2015. On top of this, they say Floyd is looking great in camp.

9. reesesteel23 says: Jul 11, 2014 10:37 AM

pftpoet

You do know his history with the Vikings right? Since, ya know, you’re a diehard Viking fan..hmmmm

10. wutangwild says: Jul 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Poet, I’ve only been on this site for a month or so and your remarks, boasts and claims are beyond asinine. As a Vikes fan, would love to have Larry Fitz come back home. Classy guy that displays his talent on the field instead of off. Anybody that wouldn’t want him on their team is crazy

11. erock27 says: Jul 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Been wanting him to leave the cardinals since the kurt warner era was over. Its a shame he dont have someone to get him the ball

12. jetsmmt says: Jul 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Got my eye on the Cards. They are sneaky good.

13. thepftpoet says: Jul 11, 2014 10:47 AM

@reesesteel23

Larry Fitzgerald was the ball boy for the Minnesota Vikings back in the day, and went to college in Minneapolis, and was a great WR in his prime.

Yes, I understand his affiliation with the Vikings.

I still keep my opinion he’s past his prime.

Younger talent is valuable in the NFL.

And the Vikings have it.

14. deezenucks says: Jul 11, 2014 10:51 AM

I find it amusing poet is so quick to comment on every article, but when the Vikings rankings came out these guys were no where to be found

15. nrwalk12238 says: Jul 11, 2014 10:57 AM

pftpoet = king of awesome comments! SKOL!

16. 4grammarpolice says: Jul 11, 2014 10:59 AM

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because Cliff Branch was better than Lynn Swann.

17. floratiotime says: Jul 11, 2014 11:00 AM

Whatever. They can’t win while they have to eat his giant contract.

18. realdealsteel says: Jul 11, 2014 11:07 AM

I’d like to see the Cardinals make the playoff only because I like Fitzgerald that much. Good guy; class act.

19. Big Ant TV says: Jul 11, 2014 11:09 AM

umm whoever wrote FITZ went too college in MINN is obviously not a REAL VIKINGS fan
    he went too college at PITT he was also on the cover of NCAA FOOTBALL 2002 or 2003 “PS2 OR 3″ if i remember he’s 1 of the few football players too be on the cover of 2 video games for college and pro “madden” know ya facts #GoBrowns

20. purpleguy says: Jul 11, 2014 11:09 AM

Good guy, great player, but holy crap — $23M next year?

21. jayhawk6 says: Jul 11, 2014 11:10 AM

A cap number in excess of $23M? Does he share an agent with Ndomakung Suh?

22. mckaymatt says: Jul 11, 2014 11:14 AM

pftpoet, pretty sure Fitz went to college at Pitts. Maybe i’m wrong, but based on your usual comments i’ll side with i’m not.

23. onlysane1intheroom says: Jul 11, 2014 11:20 AM

This guy should’ve been in a Pats uniform years ago. Pure talent.

24. drs12522 says: Jul 11, 2014 11:23 AM

Mck: Yep. Pittsburgh. I looked it up on the net. Not enough NFL players make the simple statement that they love to play the game. At this stage in his career, Larry is not worth 23 mil.+ a year, but there will be a void if they lose him. When Kurt Warner retired, three years of mediocrity ensued. If he has a strong year, which he should, maybe Larry and the ARI brass will come to an agreement on a restructuring of his 2015 contract.

25. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 11, 2014 11:24 AM

Fitz is one of my favorite players in the NFL.

26. footballguy5 says: Jul 11, 2014 11:26 AM

Does the pft poet actually think the Vikings are good?

27. dedicatedhawkfan says: Jul 11, 2014 11:27 AM

Fitz is one of the classiest players in the NFL. Even when the Cardinals were horrid, he never whined about getting traded so he could be on another Superbowl contender. While I do not wish the Cardinals luck (for obvious reasons), I do wish Fitz well.

28. seahawkboymike says: Jul 11, 2014 11:50 AM

Great player in his day, but hasn’t made a play against the Seahawks since Sherman arrived. He’s slowed down dramatically and can’t get separation anymore. Relies purely on his size to catch balls over smaller CB’s now.

Cardinals have taken some big hits on defense this year and most of their best players are over 30. And their QB is Carson Palmer.

7-9 at best.

29. eldarknight says: Jul 11, 2014 11:51 AM

A very good team in a very tough division. But, I think they are in the playoffs this year.

30. daburgh1985 says: Jul 11, 2014 11:55 AM

Lol…someone said Fitz was the only non “QB” to be the face of his the face of his team…

Hmmm….Does AP (Vikes), MJD (Jags year b4 last) and CJ2K (Titans) not count….

31. hawkstradamus says: Jul 11, 2014 12:07 PM

It’s been nothing short of a privilege to watch Larry Fitzgerald play the game of football. His team first, all business professional approach is a refreshing change of pace from the likes of Moss, T.O&85.

32. sammysushi says: Jul 11, 2014 12:08 PM

I HEART Fitz

33. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Personally, I hope he stays and re-ups with Arizona as he is basically the face of the franchise but he sure
    would fit in nicely in Green and Gold with Aaron Rodgers throwing him darts…

34. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says: Jul 11, 2014 12:17 PM

And yet pftpoet continues to make diehard Vikings fans look bad.
    He does not speak for the Vikings faithful.

Get a job man.

35. 52lightsxout52 says: Jul 11, 2014 12:22 PM

I think people are overreacting to the 23 mil number. If Arizona wants to keep him, they can easily renegotiate an extension and pay him more of that money up front in the form of a signing bonus, so they won’t take as much of a cap hit. What it really comes down to for him is if he feels his chances of winning a title in Arizona are possible within the time frame he has left as his career winds down. If not, he may decide to go elsewhere…

36. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jul 11, 2014 12:26 PM

Can’t wait for him to join the Green and Gold next year!

37. eastcoastninerfan says: Jul 11, 2014 12:35 PM

I love pftpoet’s comments. I never agree with him but I enjoy reading his comments. There was a poster that made similar comments for the Redskins that I also thought was pretty funny.

38. dickshotdogs says: Jul 11, 2014 12:42 PM

It’s actually lima bean green and mustard.

39. icardfan says: Jul 11, 2014 12:56 PM

hawkstradamus I couldn’t agree more. One of the nicest things about the NFC West is the emergence of the Seahawks. Their fans are actually cool and not a bunch of trolls. I see more respectful and knowledgeable comments from Hawk fans than I do from any other team. It makes me respect the team and their players more. It’s so fun to be in the NFC West and know whatever team makes it out will probably win the Super Bowl. I’m sorry to say San Fran fans aren’t the same way in my experience. Rams fans have been great too.

40. beardinals says: Jul 11, 2014 1:20 PM

@icardfan: You OBVIOUSLY haven’t seen the Seattle posts I have. The only nice thing I can say about them is their spelling and punctuation seems slightly better than the norm.

41. champs794 says: Jul 11, 2014 1:22 PM

For all those yards he’s got pretty low mileage.

That’s what you’ll get with a team that’s had ONE busy January in its ten years with an elite receiver.

42. RegisHawk says: Jul 11, 2014 1:27 PM

Most of the posts I’ve seen have been in response to other trolls, so you really can’t make a big deal out of it. Chalk it up to “you get what you give”.

I’ve seen plenty of Seahawks-related forums where they tore apart every aspect of football, which is why you usually see a more cogent post from the average Seahawk fan (as opposed to “GO MY TEAM!!! YAH!!!” posts).

Fitz’s contract is a result of a restructure a few years back which was an attempt to cope with the 8 year/120 million contract he signed a while ago (just before the Kolb fiasco IIRC).

43. truths4all says: Jul 11, 2014 2:05 PM

For Patriots haters, bad news. Belichick is still lurking around Fitz’s agent who is lurking around Belichick in return.

44. rutchaser says: Jul 11, 2014 2:43 PM

Why do you guys take the time to thumbs down pftpoets comments? I don’t even read them.

45. clssylssy says: Jul 11, 2014 3:14 PM

Larry Fitzgerald has brought fan pride to the Arizona Cardinals when the organization was on life support and the joke of the NFL. Steve Keim has given his word that Fitz will retire a Cardinal and so we’ll see just how much that means. I have supported the Cards for twenty years but am a fan of the game first and the players who play it so would have no trouble following Fitz to a team worthy of his talents and willing to pay him be it the 9ers or Seahawks whoever. Fitz was able to put Richard Sherman and Darrell Revis both on their backs last season and still has the best hands in football. The thing about stats are they can be skewed (hard to pick up the yards if you are not targeted), and while the organization is pushing Floyd to be the future, he’s no Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald+Sherman+Wilson+Lynch=DREAM TEAM!

46. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jul 11, 2014 3:14 PM

pftpoet is hilarious. and I’m a pack guy.

47. juliusanonymous says: Jul 11, 2014 3:51 PM

Seahawks fan here:

Larry Fitzgerald is a classy dude, and arguably the best WR the game has ever seen – right up there with Calvin Johnson, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. MAD RESPECT from the Emerald City. Even Richard Sherman has said Fitzgerald is the classiest dude in the game, and probably the best player out there in the NFL.

But I’ll be glad to see him retire. Whoever said he doesn’t have an impact against the Seahawks is either high on crack or just plain blind. The dude was the only offense they had against us last year and still put up insane numbers leading to a Seahawk loss. Had something like 100+ yards and 2 TDs, IIRC. Man, the LOB had double coverage on him and he was still coming up with big plays.

Larry Fitzgerald is a BEAST. And the rest of that team is pretty damn good too. Next season, it’s going to come down to the Cardinals and Seahawks. No team played the Seahawks harder last season (only team to beat us at home). Ferocious defense, big-time playmakers on offense, and now they just got the best safety in the draft.

It’s going to be a great matchup next season. Best games of the season – AZ vs SEA. You heard it here first.

#RespectToAZ
    #CardsAreForReal

48. JaminJake says: Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM

thepftpoet says:
    Jul 11, 2014 10:47 AM
    @reesesteel23

Yes, I understand his affiliation with the Vikings.

I still keep my opinion he’s past his prime.

Younger talent is valuable in the NFL.

And the Vikings have it.

_________________________________

Pittsburg Minnesota. Finally bringing championships to the state of Minnesota.

49. ilovecostcobut says: Jul 11, 2014 5:38 PM

$23.6 million cap number GUARANTEES he’s gone. Bad contract. Too much. Not a “Tim Duncan, $10 mil/ year.

50. squishman says: Jul 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Aaron Rodgers is past his prime.

51. truths4all says: Jul 11, 2014 9:29 PM

If Fitz wants to stay in AZ, he only needs to take less money for his lower production. If he does, we can all continue to believe his is a classy HOF guy. If he doesn’t, then he will move on to some other team where he probably get beat up and end his career injured trying to prove he is still his old self, which is no longer is, especially when the best passer he is ever going to get the ball from (Warner) is long retired (unless Belichick snaps him up at a bargain for the Pats).

52. luz56 says: Jul 12, 2014 12:26 AM

Classiest act you’ll find.. Lots of work in the community and never a bad word about anything…wish all athletes followed his example

Now 23M is a problem but I am sure they both come to an understanding and Fitz retires as a Card..

As for the fools that think they are going 7-9 put up or shut up.. I’ll take your action everyday

53. hdavid55 says: Jul 12, 2014 10:06 AM

Fitz is one of the greats…..he would be hard to trade with that type of cap hit at his age…Floyde will come into his own this year…..picking up Ginn as a #3 (PR) and drafting Brown gives them more speed at WR …Arizona is preparing for the future…they also drafted a TE from Notre Dame that some say looks like a Heath Miller type…