Nealy admits taking a “banned stimulant”

Cookie Getty Images

Another suspension under the PED program, another player who hasn’t admitted to taking a stigmatizing compound like steroids.

Like Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan eight days ago on that pre-July 4 bad-news dump by the NFL, Vikings linebacker Spencer Nealy admits that he violated the policy — by taking a banned stimulant.

“”Recently I learned from the NFL that I tested positive for a stimulant that is banned under the NFL policy,” Nealy said in a statement issued by the NFLPA.  “I worked with my agent and the union to investigate the test results, and I learned that a supplement I took contained a banned stimulant.  I understand that the NFL policy is very strict, and I take responsibility.  I’’m very sorry for the impact of this situation on my teammates, the Vikings organization and Vikings fans.  I will work extremely hard during training camp, and during the suspension, I will stay in top shape and will be ready to contribute upon my return.””

If that text sounds familiar, it should.  It reads a lot like the statement issued by the Dolphins on Jordan’s behalf.

“I recently learned from the NFL that I tested positive for stimulants that are banned under the NFL policy,” Jordan’s statement said.  “I worked carefully with my advisors and the union to investigate the test results, and I take full responsibility for the test results.  I’m very sorry for the impact of this situation on my teammates, coaches, Stephen Ross, the entire Dolphins organization, fans and my family as well.  I will continue to work extremely hard during training camp and preseason.  During the suspension, I will stay in top shape and will be ready to contribute upon my return.”

The biggest substantive difference between the statements comes from Nealy’s concession that he took a supplement that contained a banned stimulant.  He doesn’t, unlike others before him, claim that the supplement was spiked with the banned stimulant without his knowledge.

For both players, the term “stimulant” has replaced the recent explanations pointing to Adderall, which contains a banned stimulant.  And while it’s entirely possible that both players indeed took a banned stimulant and not something more sinister like steroids, there’s no way to know because the NFL currently doesn’t have the ability to correct the record by disputing either player.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
53 Responses to “Nealy admits taking a “banned stimulant””
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 11, 2014 4:33 PM

I think these dudes do a google search for “canned response to getting busted for PEDs in the NFL”.

2. pathsovglory says: Jul 11, 2014 4:35 PM

Probably because they didn’t write it. Was most likely their agent… and judging by how exact the two statements read, I wouldn’t be surprised if they shared the same agency.

3. bdfun400 says: Jul 11, 2014 4:36 PM

its a copycat league?

4. thepftpoet says: Jul 11, 2014 4:39 PM

Even when something like this happens with the historic Minnesota Vikings.

The players involved are class acts, and take responsibility for their actions.

Which correlates into the fact that we are still the classiest franchise in all of sports.

And it’s not even close.

S- Superior.
    K- Kings of the NFL.
    O – Overpowering our inferiors.
    L – Legacy of a champion.

5. hillbillyjim says: Jul 11, 2014 4:45 PM

PEDpoet?

6. dretwann says: Jul 11, 2014 4:45 PM

Why should the public even have to know what he took or why he was suspended? Why is this not protected under HIPPA?

7. eastcoastninerfan says: Jul 11, 2014 4:46 PM

thepftpoet is Zygi Wilf’s youngest son…gotta be!

8. bigdaddy811 says: Jul 11, 2014 4:49 PM

Anyone who takes adderall you don’t get yoked up like Dion Jordan. Guy was juice’n!

9. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 11, 2014 4:51 PM

I’m a pretty big Viking fan but I’ve never heard of Spencer Nealy. Therefore, I can’t say that this situation has had a big impact on me.

10. robert831 says: Jul 11, 2014 4:55 PM

Seriously I follow the Vikings like a religion and I have never ever heard of this guy. This is not news. Dude would have been cut after camp anyway, now it’s just a little sooner.

11. lks311 says: Jul 11, 2014 4:57 PM

12. fwippel says: Jul 11, 2014 4:59 PM

For a practice squad guy who’s fighting for a roster spot, he’s probably sealed his release from the team, if not now, by the end of the preseason.

Hope things work out for him though.

13. fin72 says: Jul 11, 2014 5:06 PM

Nealy’s loser agent should be sued by Jordan’s agent for plagiarism. Sure, most of these statements are similar but this is the most obvious case of theft since Vanilla Ice stole “Under Pressure”.

14. trollhammer20 says: Jul 11, 2014 5:11 PM

dretwann says:
    Jul 11, 2014 4:45 PM

____________________________

Because the League doesn’t say what it is. The league announces a suspension and what policy the suspension is for. They don’t name specific drugs because that would violate HIPPA.

This leaves a door open for the player to step up and say what it was. Most will make an effort to do so, because if they don’t, there will be plenty of rumors and speculation flying around.

15. whatjusthapped says: Jul 11, 2014 5:11 PM

This is stark contrast to the Star Caps case where the two Viking players did everything under the sun to avoid their suspensions. Maybe it had to do with the fact that the two players were starters as opposed to this scrub. Maybe it had to do with the fact that Brad “I will pick you up at the airport with my knee pads on” Childress was then the head coach and was and is morally bankrupt.

But lets give credit where credit is due, at least this time a Viking took credit for their transgression which is more than you could say about the Love Boat or Star Caps situations.

16. RegisHawk says: Jul 11, 2014 5:13 PM

A second-year UDFA out of Texas A&M, Nealy finished last season on the Vikings’ practice squad, and was preparing to compete for a roster spot in training camp. If the Vikings really like him, they could “stash” Nealy on the reserve/suspended list for the season’s first month. Most likely, they’ll cut him.

Not sure they should use “stash”.

17. ariani1985 says: Jul 11, 2014 5:17 PM

Spencer would easily be the defensive captain on the lousy Turd Bay Packer Defense!!! Rumor has it when the Packer defense is introduced during the 1st home game they are going to drive out in a VW Beetle and all pop out of the trunk 1 by 1~~~ followed by Doink the clown on a unicycle!!!

18. spfripp says: Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM

If you think about it, you have a team like the Seahawks (yes, I am going there) who have a bunch of players who have been suspended for banned products and they still went on to win a SB and in turn these players were rewarded with endorsements and/or huge contracts. So now if I am a player that needs to improve really fast, I am thinking….hmmm, maybe taking this drug and a 4 game suspention isn’t such a bad thing after all. What does a player who has to up their game have to lose? You take the drug, get suspended and lose a chunk of money but in the long run you may still come out on top with a 2nd chance as to a player who plays by the rules, fights to make it on the roster let alone a starting spot or in Jordan’s case to keep him from being labeled a bust.

19. stellarperformance says: Jul 11, 2014 5:26 PM

He thought it was harmless. When he took the pill bottle from the locker of Teddy Bridgewater, the label read: “Take two per day for thirty days for larger beautiful hands.”

20. folkcrusader says: Jul 11, 2014 5:32 PM

What, the fourth Viking PED suspension? Moving up in the world.

21. vickspuppy says: Jul 11, 2014 5:32 PM

This is the only recognizable name on that no-name Viking defense and now this happens? No wonder this team is destined to finish last in the NFC if not the entire league for the foreseeable future.

22. vikesfansteve says: Jul 11, 2014 5:36 PM

Practice squad fat boy wasn’t going to be on the team anyway.

23. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 11, 2014 5:39 PM

Another one of those “it was adderall” positives.

It’s time for roger goodell to come out and clarify which drug nealy actually tested positive.

SEE: anabolic steroids

24. nickster31 says: Jul 11, 2014 5:40 PM

Want to eliminate this problem?

1st offense – 1 year suspension
    2nd offense – Lifetime suspension

Watch how many fewer mistakes are made

25. pkrlvr says: Jul 11, 2014 5:44 PM

Poet, how do you have the legacy of a champion when you’ve never been a champion??

26. trollhammer20 says: Jul 11, 2014 5:46 PM

spfripp says:
    Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM

_________________

“A bunch” = 2. Bruce Irvin and Brandon Browner.

Browner was rewarded a contract with the Patriots in spite of two suspensions, one for PEDs and one for substances of abuse (pot).

Irvin has no endorsements, and has yet to receive an extention.

Most of the rest of the “Seahawk cheaters” are long since gone. Allen Barbre is in Philly. Winston Guy is in Jacksonville. In the case of Lendale White, he never spent a day in training camp. Most were guys like Nealy who were trying to win or stay on the roster.

27. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 11, 2014 5:50 PM

I can’t say I’m surprised.

Peterson clearly took banned substances to recover from his leg booboo (soft), just not quite enough … #9yards.

Then last year he started regressing, because he stopped taking the drugs.

That’s the lesson the Vikings starters like nealy here are learning. It’s a shame; this guy was going to be the starting QB. He’s clearly more accurate thank anyone else on their team, and his hands don’t look like a five year old’s hands.

“Take these drugs and it will make you look better than you really are.”

Posted on a plaque in the Vikings locker room.

28. pats4win says: Jul 11, 2014 5:55 PM

rofl

Nice touch with the photo Florio, well done sir, well done indeed.

29. FinFan68 says: Jul 11, 2014 6:07 PM

trollhammer20, you forgot Sherman who happens to have gotten a huge deal and endorsements. But for Wilson, he would be the face of the franchise. Good thing he cracked that cup and complained about tainted results, huh?

30. hammerhead5573 says: Jul 11, 2014 6:31 PM

There you of pft poet stooge, there’s your class orginazation.

31. jchipwood says: Jul 11, 2014 6:41 PM

Their attempts to bash the dolphins are lame.

32. kamthechancellor says: Jul 11, 2014 6:56 PM

I’m nominating PEDpoet for an espy.

33. trollhammer20 says: Jul 11, 2014 6:57 PM

FinFan68 says:
    Jul 11, 2014 6:07 PM

____________________________

Sherman was never suspended. Everything everyone says about how he is guilty in spite of never being suspended is one hundred percent pure conjecture.

34. ariani85pftpoetsuckskol says: Jul 11, 2014 7:01 PM

Hee hee another nail in the coffin and another sleepless night for ariani and pft

35. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 11, 2014 7:33 PM

Pathetic
    Envious
    Doormats

SKLOL!!

36. nyneal says: Jul 11, 2014 8:00 PM

These NFL players who get caught with this banned stuff are either stupid or just plain liars. I think it’s a mix of both.
    If you are an NFL player, all you have to do is contact someone from the NFL front office to find out before you take something if it’s banned. If you take it without knowing or before you get an answer, you’re just plain stupid or you want to take it.
    I am so sick and tired of drugs and sports. It has tarnished all sports for me. I keep thinking how the honest guys who don’t try to cheat feel when they know that other guys who are cheating get an edge. That’s why the

37. nyneal says: Jul 11, 2014 8:02 PM

Continued above….
    …….That’s why the NFL is absolutely right to go after anyone who’s cheating.
    Otherwise, take every rule and throw it out the window. Let these guys shoot up with anything and everything and don’t try to stop it. If they all die before age 50, so be it. I wouldn’t feel sorry for any of them.

38. vikingspride says: Jul 11, 2014 8:17 PM

Nealy…… Nearly……. oh yeah that guy. No big deal Spencer you haven’t had an impact on the fans at all, you probably won’t make the team anyway. I hate that all these players “learn that they had tested positive for peds from the nfl” you knew you were gonna piss hot the day you were tested. Anyone who tests positive for peds is an idiot, you have enough team trainers and doctors that will tell you if a substance is banned or not. It’s no accident it’s either incompetence or an intent to cheat.

39. bucsorbust says: Jul 11, 2014 8:36 PM

We fans continue to pay full price for our tickets in advance to learn key players are suspended for a month or more for taking banned substances. Oh, he learned the NFL test for a banned substance was positive? Well, did he know he took a banned substance? Why didn’t the NFL publicly dime him out on that? No accountability that’s why…until after getting busted. Clearly a great many players get away with taking this stuff…otherwise so many wouldn’t be doing it and getting caught. You want to deter it? Test every week and make violations extremely painful. THEN these guys will stop. THEN we get our money’s worth and don’t get bad news before game day and watch backups play.

40. htown995 says: Jul 11, 2014 8:48 PM

Packer fan here even though i know yall viking fans assume im gonna dog your player over this im not im sure it happens a lot with players taking vitamins,supplements,& or trying to cut weight its all about being in the best shape possible to play the game

41. thebirdofprey2 says: Jul 11, 2014 9:51 PM

How many Vikings have been suspended for PED’s now? Considering they can’t get out of the basement of the NFC North, that just flat out sad.

42. johnnymarlin says: Jul 12, 2014 12:21 AM

Why do these guys keep buying crap at GNC? BTW- what is that picture of???

43. whatwhat2013 says: Jul 12, 2014 1:40 AM

PED Vikings!!

44. revren10 says: Jul 12, 2014 7:53 AM

This is the only way the JV Vikings can compete is to juice up. Teddy bustwater should juice up maybe his hands will get bigger. The Minnesota Vikings wish they had the greatest quarterback of all time Tom “The Almighty” Brady

45. dinodimes says: Jul 12, 2014 9:59 AM

My favorite linebacker in vikings history is……#59 matt blair . Skol !!

46. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 12, 2014 10:30 AM

A classic example of bandwagon fans and just trolls to the site are a majority of the purple posters saying they do not know who this guy is after he had been on the team all year. I don’t know about you but here in Green Bay and all NFL franchises true fan knows who is on the roster.

As far as the player its easy to understand with their me me me complex they have, they cant get recognized on the field for their play so this is the next best thing. Kind of like the lavender posters in that they relate to childish insults to try and feel relevant.

47. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 12, 2014 1:57 PM

When you play on a team as crappy as the Vikings, you need to do whatever it takes to try to get out of the basement of the league. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to get 6 wins.

48. deltaoracle says: Jul 12, 2014 3:44 PM

Just some “vitamins” he found in Kevin Williams’ old locker.

49. greengoldandbold says: Jul 12, 2014 3:50 PM

Probably been eating those Marshawn Lynch Skittles.

50. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 13, 2014 6:55 AM

I love it. The Vikings fans have “never heard of him.”

You guys sound like you’re really into your team.

51. purplestandsforlastplace says: Jul 13, 2014 10:20 AM

0-4

52. jimothytinkler says: Jul 13, 2014 2:32 PM

from Iks211:

“Keep an eye on all of the teams with multiple PED, DUI, Domestic Abuse, etc. suspensions during the off-season.

Almost all can be eliminated from real Super Bowl contention, Day One. It’s just how these things seem to play out.”

Then how do you explain these, all in 2014:

SEA: Spencer Ware – DUI – 1-12-2014

SF: Daniel Kilgore – Public Intoxication – 1-26-2014

SF: Chris Culliver – Reckless driving, weapon – 3-28-2014

SF: Aldon Smith – Disorderly Conduct – 4-13-2014

DEN: T.J. Ward – Assault – threw glass at bartender – 5-22-2014 (resolution undetermined)

KC: SeanSmith – DUI – 6-9-2014

I’m sure there are more to come, but I guess this already eliminates SF from contention, according to Iks211. I’m sure Seattle is happy to hear that. But one more arrest from them, and they are out as well. And DEN better watch their step – just one more and they won’t make it either.

53. wheezerswin says: Jul 13, 2014 7:45 PM

I guess this explains AP speedy recovery. There are probably bowls of peds in the locker room. Even when they cheat, they still finish in last place. Stay classy MN