Eli Manning says new system has “reenergized” him

Eli Manning AP

The easy thing for the Giants to have done this offseason is point to Super Bowl trophies and let Eli Manning do what he’s been doing.

Instead, the veteran quarterback is learning a new offense this offseason, which he said is exciting for him.

It’s reenergized me,” Manning said, via Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News. “I’m trying to speed up the process of getting comfortable in the new system. I don’t have 10 years. I have a few months.”

Manning is using his last few days before training camp getting some extra work in. While helping run the Manning Passing Academy back in Louisiana, he’s getting some extra work in on the side with new wide receiver Odell Beckham, the Giants’ first-rounder.

“Good to get some one-on-one time here,” Manning said.

Between the new offense and having ankle surgery in April, Manning will have more pressure than ever when he goes to camp. If he handles both challenges well, the Giants have an opportunity to make a jump in a division full of uncertainty.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
54 Responses to “Eli Manning says new system has “reenergized” him”
  1. lennydpocketqb says: Jul 12, 2014 8:33 PM

As long as he cuts down on the INTs.

2. richiethegreek says: Jul 12, 2014 8:49 PM

His best days are behind him. Manning’s 2014 season will spell the end of days for Coughlin in New York.

3. siennaLilo says: Jul 12, 2014 8:57 PM

I’ve got a lot of friends who aren’t Giants fans but plan to pick up Eli on their fantasy teams this year. They think he’s a sleeper pick because they see Eli following the Eli pattern of an up year following a down year. Interesting. Hope they’re right.

One thing the haters understand (despite the played out interceptions jokes) is that Eli with a hot hand is a VERY dangerous quarterback. Let’s hope Eli is reenergized towards another ring or his first MVP season. He’s due for one.

4. raynman49 says: Jul 12, 2014 9:01 PM

Giant fan for 60 years here. How can you tell when Eli’s energized??

5. nysportsrule says: Jul 12, 2014 9:05 PM

I understand the criticisms of Eli. He does throw too many interceptions. But he is one of the best fourth quarter quarterbacks in the league, and if my team was down with the ball in the 4th, I wouldn’t pick many QB’s over Eli.

6. urallstupid says: Jul 12, 2014 9:05 PM

sweet, now eli will throw even more INTs.

7. nysportsrule says: Jul 12, 2014 9:07 PM

I understand the criticisms of Eli. He does throw too many interceptions. But he is one of the best fourth quarter quarterbacks in the league. And if my team was down with the ball in the fourth, there aren’t many QB’s I’d take over Eli.

8. fafaflunky says: Jul 12, 2014 9:08 PM

Eli’s last name should have been luck..

9. stygiansteel says: Jul 12, 2014 9:26 PM

Sounds like he’s ready to throw rockets to the other teams.

10. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 12, 2014 9:32 PM

A division full of uncertainty you say? Here’s one thing about the NFC East that is 100% certain:

The Philadelphia Eagles are going to absolutely crush the rest of the NFC East in embarrassing fashion…on their way to a 6-0 divisional record by season’s end(and I’m not just saying this to get a rise out of you).

11. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 12, 2014 9:42 PM

“One thing the haters understand (despite the played out interceptions jokes) is that Eli with a hot hand is a VERY dangerous quarterback.”
    ——-

Soooo, haters understand interception jokes…annnnd Eli with a hot hand is dangerous. Allow me to thank you for providing us all with such impeccably insightful information.

These are professionals we are talking about, so I’d venture to guess that just about any QB with a “hot hand” would be considered dangerous. Just a hunch though…

12. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 12, 2014 9:49 PM

Oh, yeah. Manning Passing Academy. Haven’t heard quite as much about that this year as we did last year. I wonder why that is?

13. kev86 says: Jul 12, 2014 9:58 PM

Call Eli what you want but you have to include 2x SB champ/MVP too. He’s beaten the best in the biggest games. A lot of W’s. I always think the Giants have a shot with Eli at QB. He will be taking more chances and winning more big games for NYG soon!! Eli is easy to root for. Go Giants!

14. dtm1088 says: Jul 12, 2014 9:59 PM

As a Giants fan, this new system should reenergize everyone including the fans. I’m excited to see Eli in the new offense. Winning a few superbowls in that option route offense is an incredible accomplishment. I always wanted to see him in a more QB friendly system. He will absolutely throw far less interceptions.

15. justintuckrule says: Jul 12, 2014 10:21 PM

You guys interception comments are so tired and boring. Come up with some new material. At least when we were running non stop dream team comments we brought some wit to this blog.

16. uglydingo says: Jul 12, 2014 10:27 PM

Because Eli is so much younger than Peyton, people forget that he’s still 33 (vs 38 going on 39).
    There are not many QBs who find their best form after turning 33. The reality is that his best days are behind him and that is reflected in his statistics.
    Just because he’s Peyton’s brother doesn’t mean that he will have his best season in 5 years time. There is a real chance that Eli will continue to regress and the Giants will start preparing for the post Eli era. Most Giant fans will scoff at that but it is the reality.

17. nedhigginssports says: Jul 12, 2014 10:33 PM

Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says:
    Jul 12, 2014 9:49 PM
    __________________________________

Nothing is more hilarious than a Vikings fan criticizing QB play.

18. nfl fan says: Jul 12, 2014 10:41 PM

captainwisdom8888 says:
    Jul 12, 2014 9:32 PM

————————————————–
    That’s good, because it’s been 19,577 days since your team has won anything meaningful. Pathetic that generations of fans don’t know what it feels like…(just reciting history, not just saying that to get a rise out of you).

19. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 12, 2014 10:49 PM

You can count me in as a full-on Eli-hater, not real hate per say, but more of a “fan-hate.” And it all started in the very beginning in the draft process when Eli essentially proclaimed: “I don’t wannnna play in San Diego…I wanna play somewhere elllllse…. Daddddd!”

He literally brought his daddy with him to help him get his way, and to me he came off as a complete spoiled brat in the process.

It literally pained me to see him win the Super Bowl…twice. I have no clue who Eli really is as a person, but even despite my hatred of him…I have no reservations about saying that I respect the hell out of him as a football player. The thing that has surprised me time and time again is his awe-inspiring toughness. He is such a talented QB that I have to periodically remind myself that I hate his guts.

20. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 12, 2014 10:54 PM

I don’t get into comment battles much, but all I have to say is that I have zero respect for football fans who can only point to the past, the ones who cling to history as if it’s an ever-reminding insult to those who didn’t win. Go ahead and hang your hat on that Super Bowl victory 23 years ago…as for today my Eagles are poised to demolish you.

21. teambolt5000 says: Jul 12, 2014 11:03 PM

This is awesome news!! I’ve been waiting for Eli to step up his game and get back to mediocre.

22. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 13, 2014 12:33 AM

The Eagles are not poised to demolish anything. First you need a defense and the Eagles Defense is mediocre at best. the safety’s are average and their best corner is a slot corner. The Eagles pass rush is weak and they used a first round pick on some one who should have went in the 3rd round at best and can’t even break into third team in OTAs. Though Foles had a decent year last year at the end of the season he seemed to hold the ball to long and rattled by heavy pressure this year he will be facing a pass rush heavy NFC West, a retooled pass rush from the Redskins and a retooled D from the Giants plus he lost his deep threat (Jackson). The fact that the Eagles got rid of Jackson will effect McCoy he will be dealing more in the box. Maclin has never had 1000 yds in his career plus coming off a ACL injury…he is not the threat Jackson was(quit fooling yourselves Eagles fans) and Cooper got opportunities from Teams keying on keeping Jackson from getting deep. Eagles do have a good O line but seem at times injury prone and Lane being suspended was a major hit. Chip will learn this year that this is the NFL and your Ego will send you back to college. Eagles squeaked the division by barely beating the Cowboys who fielded the worst defense in team history and were sent packing in the first round of the playoffs after Rob Ryan schooled ol Chip so cool your heels Eagles fans…2014 the NFC east will be a battle between the Redskins and Giants…the Eagles will be sent back to reality in 3rd place.
    Chip back in college 2015

23. thenewyorker718 says: Jul 13, 2014 1:15 AM

Idiots don’t understand that a bad offensive line led to all of Eli’s INTs . Giants had a horrible season as a whole last year . We re-upped our offense this year . Another go to receiver , ACTUAL CAPABLE NON INJURED RUNNING BACKS to take some pressure of Eli , a lockdown corner amongst other solid corners , re-upped special teams , new offensive coordinator . But if you don’t believe me watch him & the giants play his upcoming season .

24. yetimonster says: Jul 13, 2014 2:08 AM

fourth place in the division.

25. zam0854 says: Jul 13, 2014 5:55 AM

A pattern with Eli? Almost 60 INTS in the past 3 seasons. It’s Coughlin’s last year, I agree. Jets might be the talk of the town for the next few years.

26. revskip says: Jul 13, 2014 6:11 AM

Assuming that the o-line doesn’t change 10 times next season and the Giants don’t trot out 7 different starting running backs next season and every receiver on the team doesn’t bat several balls to the other team each week Eli should have a bounce back season.

Dude took way too much blame for last season and probably got a little too much credit for the two Super Bowl runs. He played lights out in the playoffs both seasons but so did the D which was definitely not the case last season. Still have to feel good about the G-men in a division without a single shutdown D.

27. thefootballgodssay says: Jul 13, 2014 7:11 AM

2014 NFC EAST CHAMPS NYG

28. jimmysee says: Jul 13, 2014 7:32 AM

Eli is the Edgar Winter of football.

Talented, capable, but he’s not Johnny.

29. gianthater says: Jul 13, 2014 7:45 AM

He said the same thing a couple of seasons ago after a 25 int year only to come back with a 27 int season. Watch when he throws his first int, n watch his awe shucks look of pain, bending his shoulders in as he walks off the field in disgust. Like I mentioned before, if this overrated farce of a Qb played in another era when they were allowed to take Qbs down by the face mask n blast them to the ground n take n extra step before hitting them, this delicate cream puff would have lasted maybe 3 yrs in the NFL. As for the uncertainty in the NFC East, how can u say that with a stright face. I’m only going to remind u of the Eagles 10-6 record in Chip Kelly’s first year n the weapons the Eagles have. Better still, I can go on writing nonstop on y the Eagles r the class n power of the East n a true NFC power but I suggest all u do is look at their roster, look at the giants roster n rewrite your article. Being healthy is key of course, n if they can stay relatively healthy, the Eagles should b a true NFC Power.

30. officialgame says: Jul 13, 2014 8:57 AM

The West Coast offense isn’t exactly a cutting edge new philosophy and at the end of the day the Giants roster still has a lot of holes.

31. olefballcoach says: Jul 13, 2014 9:00 AM

Maybe Daddy can help you with that like he did in the draft!!

32. kev86 says: Jul 13, 2014 9:39 AM

His Dad helped him. Are you jealous? Are you the one with issues hating on Eli? Look in the mirror. Maybe you are the “loser”.

33. justintuckrule says: Jul 13, 2014 10:27 AM

Lets go back in a time machine eagles fans. We won in 07 and were on our way to a repeat when plax shot a hole through our season. We learned that in this new goodell touch league that your team is only as good as your best wr. Ours post plax wrs back then were still better than yours now and you think that you’re a powerhouse??? You’re embarrassing yourselves.

34. JSpicoli says: Jul 13, 2014 10:36 AM

Energized? Does that mean he will have both eyes open at the same time?

35. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 13, 2014 11:25 AM

truth though.. while a big gamer has never been a top 10ish QB, he is at his best adequate

36. fiverings37 says: Jul 13, 2014 11:25 AM

to throw even more picks this year?

37. vickspreadherpes says: Jul 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Jack Elway & John Elway pulled the same move, Jack Elway DID NOT want John in Baltimore!!! Nothing is ever brought up about Elway & people continuously whine about Eli doing the same thing. BTW, Elway & Eli have the same amount of SB wins & Eli has ONE MORE SB MVP trophy. Just sayin…you bunch of ridiculous jealous haters…LOL

38. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 13, 2014 11:52 AM

as I thought last year… Giants should battle Cowboys for last place in division, though I do favor the Giants

39. patsfan112 says: Jul 13, 2014 12:02 PM

Can’t believe this turd stole two of Brady’s SB rings. And all because of two “miracle” TDs. What a bust Manning Jr. has been since that last SB the Giants were in.

40. kev86 says: Jul 13, 2014 12:43 PM

He’s been the top QB twice. Kiss his rings and MVPs.

41. brintfatre says: Jul 13, 2014 12:51 PM

Eli is the Hillary to Peyton’s Bill.

42. dallassux says: Jul 13, 2014 1:38 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Jul 13, 2014 10:27 AM

———————————————————————————-

Is the why their 3-9against the eagles the last half decade vs the eagles? Including 2 playoff losses to the eagles? We know it hurts to lose all the time to us.

43. brooklynnsfinest says: Jul 13, 2014 1:41 PM

I’ll tell ya what energized means. It means Eli AKA “The Elite” AKA “The Silent Assassin” has put the league on notice. He is back on top of his game and coming for another Lombardi trophy. I hope all you haters and naysayers have the dignity to admit you were wrong and swallow those harsh words of criticism. When the dust settles on this season Eli’s HOF legacy will be questioned……NO MORE!! Remember where you heard it first. 4500+ passing yards, 25+ tds, < 10 int. NFC EAST CHAMPS……..GO GGGGGGG-MEN!!!

44. vickspreadherpes says: Jul 13, 2014 3:16 PM

@dallassux

Big deal, what did your team accomplish with those two playoff wins? And as always, here come Eagle fans with regular season win totals. Ya gotta love Egal fans (most jealous fans in the NFL), other teams history of championships don’t matter but past regular season wins Egal are important. You guys embarrass yourselves every time you post. Just remember dallassux: It’s been 54 years or 648 months or 19,700 days since your team has won anything meaningful! Are you and the rest of your fellow Eagle brethren mad about that dallassux???

45. n0hopeleft says: Jul 13, 2014 4:36 PM

Dallassux. Your franchise has tried for 50+ years and failed. Congrats on your regular season wins against the Giants. Congrats on those 2 playoff wins against us, only to lose the next week to a less talented team.

What will you tell your kids and grandkids about the Eagles? I know what I’ll tell mine about the Giants.

Good talk.

46. ydandb says: Jul 13, 2014 5:58 PM

Comeback player of the year.

47. thereyougo2 says: Jul 13, 2014 7:42 PM

Giants, Eagles bet on this each of their two games most years are three point wins either way.

48. justintuckrule says: Jul 13, 2014 8:40 PM

20% and 100%.

Giants fans dvrs vs eagles fans dvrs. Only so many all time games and Americas Games I can fit.

49. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 13, 2014 9:14 PM

The goal in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl…period. How many games you win in the regular season really doesn’t mean squat. The fact is as bad as Eli plays at times he has won 2 Super Bowls and one of the biggest reasons the Giants won those Super Bowls was him. I am a Redskins not a Giants fan but you got to respect a guy who has taken his team and won multiple Super Bowls. What has your team done in reality Eagles fans? One and done in the playoffs. I feel your pain my Redskins did the exact same thing the year before. And like you we were boasting about our offense and didn’t improve our D. The result will be the same for you. Giants and Eli scare me way more than any overhyped Smoothie King led team.
    HTTR!

50. simonator917 says: Jul 14, 2014 6:41 AM

The only qb I’d even CONSIDER taking over Eli is Aaron Rodgers. Eli reminds me of John Elway with his 4th quarter fireworks, ESPECIALLY in big games.

51. cslaxcoach says: Jul 14, 2014 10:30 AM

Eagles = Fail.. plain and simple.. this is an Eli Manning Article, and all the philly fans come here to bash Eli.. this after hes won 2 Super Bowl MVP’s.. Ive heard everything from Philly fans, SH-Eli, yadda yadda yadda.. yet, they’d trade their first born for Superbowl ring.. theyve been sooo close so many times, yet haven’t, I understand it must be soo frustrating.. lol

52. cslaxcoach says: Jul 14, 2014 10:32 AM

iamdinguskhan says:
    Jul 13, 2014 9:14 PM
    HTTR!

—————–

this is why although I hate the Skins, the majority class acts and good knowledgeable football fans.. Iggles and the once relevant cowboy fans? not so much.. I root for the Skins after the G-men are out..

53. mizzike20 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:54 PM

In all the years I’ve watched pro football I can honestly say I’ve never seen a QB toss more INTs that either bounce off receivers chests or hands, or more INTs that come from poorly timed route breaks than Eli Manning. Is that on him or his receivers, who knows. But I think the change in OC will ultimately help him – too often was Gilbride dialing up long pass plays (which Eli doesn’t have the arm for).

54. cslaxcoach says: Jul 15, 2014 11:14 AM

Ill take 3-9 VS the “regular season Dynasty” and playoff bust Philadelphia Eagles as long as it goes with 2 Super Bowls with She-li Manning as my QB any day.. This is why many Eagles fans cant be taken seriously with the criticism the lay on eli Manning.. I dont think many QB’s could have taken the ABSOLUTE beating that Eli took against the 49ers in the NFC championship game against that Defense and led them to victory in that game and then come back and beat the Heavily favored Pats in the SB. Everyone talks about how “lucky” they think Eli was in the 2 super bowls, or that the defense won those games.. hogwash.. no one seems to remember the 3rd coldest Championship game ever played at Green Bay where Eli and Plaxico absolutely destroyed Al Harris for 11 catches and 151 yards and Eli repeatedly drove the giants into position for the win with Tynes missing field goals left and right. then followed that up by leading the giants to TWO game winning drives int he final 3 minutes against the 18-0 Pats.. call him lucky, Ill call him clutch, and Ill take his 3 and 9 record against this eagles any day.. LOL