Golden Tate: “The sky’s the limit” in Detroit

Golden Tate AP

Wide receiver Golden Tate won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks last season, but he’s going to be in Detroit this season after signing with the Lions as a free agent.

It wasn’t hard to understand why Tate decided to change teams and if it was Tate has been more than happy to explain his reasons. After signing with the Lions, he said there wasn’t much of a comparison in terms of the salary offered by his former team. That wasn’t all of it, though. Tate explained the difference in his role with the two teams on ESPN on Monday.

“I hated being tackled [last year] because I didn’t know when my next ball was going to come. I have a chance to catch more balls and make Pro Bowls,” Tate said, via MLive.com. “I think if I can stay healthy, God forbid, it’s going to be fun. I have a chance to catch a ton more balls. I’m going to see a lot of single coverage. I’m probably going to see a lot of No. 2 and No. 3 cornerbacks because everyone’s going to be on No. 81 [Calvin Johnson]. I’m excited. I think the sky’s the limit. I think it’s going to get back to the old Golden.”

Given how often the Lions are expected to put the ball in the air this season, Tate should have plenty of opportunities to make good on the location change. Tate and the rest of the Lions receivers spent much of the spring learning new offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi’s offense so that they would be ready to hit the ground running in training camp and the preseason. We’ll find out soon if that’s the case and what Detroit’s offense will look like in 2014.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
66 Responses to “Golden Tate: “The sky’s the limit” in Detroit”
  1. slbasegame257 says: Jul 14, 2014 3:39 PM

Go get ‘em Golden! Seahawks fans know what you are capable of doing. GO HAWKS

2. staffordcalvinbush says: Jul 14, 2014 3:39 PM

As long as Stafford plays more consistently Tate & Detroit as a whole should be successful.

Albeit, Stafford only had Calvin, bush & bell, his play last year was inexcusable.

Ebron, clowney, barr, gilbert > mack

3. liddogg33 says: Jul 14, 2014 3:41 PM

PRO BOWL???? HAHAHAHA.. WHAT A JOKE!!!! GOOD LUCK WATCHING SEATTLE’S DYNASTY GOLDEN!!! NEVER WERE GOOD ENOUGH ANY WAY.. SO LUCKY PERCY WAS HURT.. SHOULD SEND HIM SOME ROYALITIES FROM THAT BLOATED UNDESERVED CONTRACT YOU JUST GOT CLOWN!!!!

GO HAWKS!!
    #DYNASTY

4. whatjusthapped says: Jul 14, 2014 3:41 PM

Don’t you hate it when a player refers to himself in the third person. It always sounds idiotic.

True, Golden Tate was and is an idiot but he could at least try to hide it.

5. htagsports says: Jul 14, 2014 3:46 PM

Its just something about Notre Dame in recent years that gives these players the feeling that they are better than they really are.

6. thevikesarebest says: Jul 14, 2014 3:47 PM

It really says a lot about Seattle that golden Tate would rather be in that 3rd world crap hole known as detoilet for a franchise that has 2playoff wins the last 70 years than play in that classless Ped using organization known as the shehawks.Vikings wr >yours.SKOL

7. jjackwagon says: Jul 14, 2014 3:49 PM

Shehawks were willing to pay you commensurate with your value to the team.
    Loins paid you because you were on a team that had just won the SB.

8. rodgersfeeblecollarbone says: Jul 14, 2014 3:49 PM

Ha…. the 2nd best WR on the Lions (maybe even the 3rd) is still better than Jordy Nelson. He might not even make the Lions roster, or the Vikings. Definitely he wouldn’t make the Bears.

The Packers aren’t making the playoffs this year.

Book It

9. ruthlessburgher says: Jul 14, 2014 3:50 PM

In Seattle, his goal was the Super Bowl. In Detroit, his goal is the Pro Bowl. That’s nice. Ugh…

10. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 14, 2014 3:51 PM

As long as Stafford’s passes stay within the limits of a catchable zone then we’re all set.

11. steelerben says: Jul 14, 2014 3:52 PM

He’s getting paid more money to be on a pass happy team with a number one reciever that draws double and triple coverage. Sounds like a smart career move to me, even if it doesn’t end in playoffs or a championship.

12. deltaoracle says: Jul 14, 2014 3:56 PM

If they let him two-hand shove a DB out of the way and then call it a catch when he gets one hand on a ball that another DB is cradling, I agree he should have an awesome year.

13. msc4realeagles says: Jul 14, 2014 3:59 PM

Aaaah yes. I can smell that “Championship DNA” all the way down here in S. Florida. Smells like stinky fish from Lake Erie!

14. skolnolombardilovers says: Jul 14, 2014 4:00 PM

On paper during the preseason they are almost as big of Champions as Minnysoda

15. cutlertomarshall says: Jul 14, 2014 4:00 PM

Bears are going to win this division Golden.

16. brokebackbrees says: Jul 14, 2014 4:01 PM

Translation : “sky is the limit when I watch my team punt”

17. calvinthegreat82 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:04 PM

Lions > Seahawks.

Stafford sucks thought, wish we had Russell Wilson.

18. purpleguy says: Jul 14, 2014 4:06 PM

Anyone notice how many times he said “I”? What’s that old cliché referencing the word team?

19. usdcoyotesfan says: Jul 14, 2014 4:07 PM

You pushed off and didn’t catch the ball against my Packers.

20. jakethesnake123 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:09 PM

Ya but Russell Wilson’s wife will not be there.

21. rcali says: Jul 14, 2014 4:10 PM

Wait, did he say “Dream Team!”

22. schmitty2 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:12 PM

“I hated being tackled [last year] because I didn’t know when my next ball was going to come. I have a chance to catch more balls and make Pro Bowls,” Tate said, via MLive.com. “I think if I can stay healthy, God forbid, it’s going to be fun. I have a chance to catch a ton more balls.”

There you go Golden…way to be a TEAM player. You won a Super Bowl last year moron!

23. mazenblue says: Jul 14, 2014 4:16 PM

Wahs across the board. Love the bears fans, or is it Lions haters, nah its bears fans. Wah

24. zinger92 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:23 PM

I think detroit is going to have a good season, but the players and the fans are doing way too much talking for doing jack s#!t the past few seasons. Try getting out of your division before talking about winning a Super Bowl.

25. veetan says: Jul 14, 2014 4:23 PM

Yet another reason the Hawks will have difficulty repeating. In the NFL teams that have relied on their defense, never repeat. These days you have to score – and this guy was one of their key offensive weapons.

26. rainponcho87 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:23 PM

It would be fitting if he finishes a short career being a forgotten player in Detroit.

27. bonnovi says: Jul 14, 2014 4:26 PM

DETROIT IS BACK, BABY!

28. slugbaitspace says: Jul 14, 2014 4:26 PM

Almost surprised that he didn’t mention Fantasy Football…

29. soflovikes says: Jul 14, 2014 4:29 PM

Most overpaid receiver in the league. Big mouth. Will hang on Megatrons coattails and get shut down by Xavier Rhodes…

30. thetruthcampaign says: Jul 14, 2014 4:29 PM

God forbid you DON’T stay healthy.

31. richcranium2112 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:31 PM

Golden Turd’s words and credibility are about as solid as a sponge. He has yet to take the field with Lions and now he is as delusional as Viking fans.

32. bassplucker says: Jul 14, 2014 4:35 PM

The Lions keep bringing guys in to be the #2 to Megatron, and just can’t find anyone to stick. At some point you’d think they would hit on someone.

33. 12thlegion says: Jul 14, 2014 4:46 PM

Would you rather be the Head of a Dept. at a Fortune 500 company, or the assistant manager at the Best Western? Great choice, Golden.

34. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jul 14, 2014 4:51 PM

“I think if I can stay healthy, God forbid, it’s going to be fun.”

I don’t think you’re using that phrase correctly.

35. jayovalentine says: Jul 14, 2014 4:52 PM

Russell & his wife sure will miss you

36. garyridgway says: Jul 14, 2014 4:53 PM

Loved Golden in Seattle and best of luck to him…

Have to point out though that he said “I” 10 times in that pretty short comment of his. You got to wonder if the Hawks management saw an “I” player and said lets just low ball him and let him walk.

37. soleman50 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:54 PM

Well it’s official ever player on the Lions have now stated how great they are & how they should when the Super Bowl!! I guess know one told them, you actually have too go out & play like Super Bowl contenders. Nothing like beating your chest, before someone hits you in the mouth!!

38. norcalmafia says: Jul 14, 2014 5:03 PM

Seattle Seahawk fans…est 2011…lol
    #suburu and flannel heaven
    #small market lames

39. macdaddyspeed says: Jul 14, 2014 5:04 PM

It was a catch, and always will be a catch…GO SEAHAWKS!!!

40. tformation says: Jul 14, 2014 5:11 PM

Tate looks good on paper, I’ll grant you, but I’m betting that this is yet another example of a player hired off a winning super bowl team getting overpaid in the hopes that he’ll be able to “recreate his magic” with the new team.

And the other commenters are right. A guy who says “I” and refers to himself in the third person is usually the cancer in the locker room who whines about not getting the ball enough… (cough cough Keyshawn, T.O., cough cough)

41. thefox61 says: Jul 14, 2014 5:19 PM

“I hated being tackled [last year]…”
    Hello Golden, the more balls you catch the more you will be tackled.
    And, you are good but only 1 wr from the Lions will ever have chance at a Pro Bowl, especially if he is only single covered, CJ.

42. notthetroll says: Jul 14, 2014 5:46 PM

This guy’s a slug. I hope he gets drilled.

43. darkneptune73 says: Jul 14, 2014 5:48 PM

“The Sky” being Ford Field’s roof.

44. lionsnati0n says: Jul 14, 2014 5:48 PM

“Tate, and the rest of the Lions receivers”. The rest could be possibly the greatest of all time.

45. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 14, 2014 6:13 PM

If Golden Tate is in your WR mix you can’t be very good!

46. seahawkswilson says: Jul 14, 2014 6:17 PM

All Lions players better keep a close eye on wives and girlfriends. Already broke up one Sb winning qb’s marriage bet he’ll do more damage in Detroit.

47. whatwhat2013 says: Jul 14, 2014 6:20 PM

Damn, the skyline must be low in Detroit.

48. scohoro says: Jul 14, 2014 6:24 PM

Pro Bowls and catches over rings, um?

49. beerbratscheese says: Jul 14, 2014 6:49 PM

I read that article twice, and I’m sure I didn’t read a single team goal. It’s all “I’m gonna do this” and “I am that”. Me, me, me. I guess now that he has his ring he’s just looking for personal stats now.

50. afewzigzagsplease says: Jul 14, 2014 7:01 PM

Wasn’t Tate sent packing by the Seahawks because he had an affair with QB Wilson’s wife?

51. Marshawn Lunch says: Jul 14, 2014 7:10 PM

I loved watching Tate play for the Hawks. He was like a mini-beast-mode after the catch (from time to time).

But, then he went and slept with Russell Wilson’s wife. And THAT is why Tate got a laughable offer from the Hawks. We didn’t want him around any more.

Tate will be a good player for the Lions. But he’s a quiet locker room cancer.

52. 509seahawks says: Jul 14, 2014 7:13 PM

The sky is not the limit for Detroit city’s financial problems.

53. trollaikman8 says: Jul 14, 2014 7:20 PM

Just a guy – will never be more than a #3.
    To Seattle (and most teams) this guy is a replaceable as the parts of a lawn mower.

54. donnymacjack says: Jul 14, 2014 8:16 PM

I wonder when we’ll see the real reason he’s in Detroit publish in the news? Someone needs to take a hard, hard look at his off field escapade. Talk about a low life move…to your own QB even!

55. greengoldandbold says: Jul 14, 2014 8:29 PM

Let’s cut the cr-p and get to the chase here. Tate signed with Detroit because the Lions do what they do. Overpay for mediocre talent. Seahawks offered him a fraction of what Detroit paid. How can you fix your team when your backs are up against the salary cap wall year after year ? You can’t and they won’t. Rebuilding since 1957.

56. bucsorbust says: Jul 14, 2014 8:35 PM

Yeah Mr. Tate, tell that to your new buddy Titus…that is…the arrested Titus. The only thing sky high for him is bail.

57. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 14, 2014 9:05 PM

Lions remind me of the Rams. Great on paper but it doesn’t parlay to their play on the field.

58. whatjusthapped says: Jul 14, 2014 9:15 PM

Tate belongs on a sleazy team like the Lion’s. Tell Matthew Stafford to keep an eye on his girlfriend, Tate has been known to gravitate towards his Qb’s choice in women.

59. sumkat says: Jul 14, 2014 9:16 PM

they play in a dome. At best, the roof is the limit

60. uglydingo says: Jul 14, 2014 9:36 PM

Is Golden Tate the reason for Russell Wilson’s sudden divorce?

61. mistyzhang says: Jul 14, 2014 9:49 PM

Golden came to Detroit to play with Kelly Hall! Watch it Matthew, watch it!

Go Lion’s

62. ajd4 says: Jul 14, 2014 9:51 PM

December 15, 1991

This was the last time the Lions won in Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I cannot take this team seriously while that date has significance.

63. GenXJay says: Jul 14, 2014 11:37 PM

Hell of a catch he had versus cheesebay.
    Then he got a ring.
    With Stafford winging it around, Golden should be able to get what he desires, recognition.

64. shockhawk12 says: Jul 15, 2014 3:00 AM

HaHa- It’ll take him another 3 years to learn another new system- Not a very quick study here, to say the least…

65. usdcoyotesfan says: Jul 15, 2014 3:14 AM

macdaddyspeed says: Jul 14, 2014 5:04 PM

It was a catch, and always will be a catch…GO SEAHAWKS!!!
    ————————————————————
    Yes, we know the defender made the catch.

66. enelsoniii says: Jul 15, 2014 7:37 PM

Losing Tate was a tremendous loss for the Seahawks. Their nondescript receiving core is just pitiful.

No way they repeat with that group.