Jeremy Maclin: In some ways, I feel faster

Jeremy Maclin AP

One of the questions we’re waiting to have answered when training camp and the preseason gets underway is how Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin looks after missing the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL.

Maclin got hurt last summer, so he has had a long time to rehab and reports this spring that Maclin was in fine condition at Eagles workouts suggest that time has been well spent. Maclin was at LeSean McCoy’s charity basketball game over the weekend and said that all the work he’s done during his recovery has left him feeling well prepared for his return to the field.

“In some ways, I feel faster,” Maclin said, via Philly.com. “In some ways I feel more fresh, more physically strong. I just think you put so much hard work into your rehab process that that’s kind of what happens. You get that leg back. You build that leg back stronger. So like I said, I’m really looking forward to this year.”

With second-round pick Jordan Matthews added to a deep group of receiving targets, Maclin doesn’t need to turn into something much more than he was to give the Eagles what they need this season. If he does turn out to be an improved version of what we saw before, all the better for the Eagles and for Maclin’s chances of scoring a bigger deal after re-signing with the Eagles for one year this offseason.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Jeremy Maclin: In some ways, I feel faster”
  1. calvinthegreat82 says: Jul 14, 2014 2:52 PM

He feels faster now that DeSean is gone. Lions > Eagles, not even a question!

2. dawkphan says: Jul 14, 2014 2:52 PM

I can’t wait for him to get back on the field , and lets get this season started !!

3. msc4realeagles says: Jul 14, 2014 2:55 PM

I think a corps of Maclin, Cooper, Matthews, and Ertz is enough to put up some major points. Now we just have to figure out a way to stop the other team from scoring as much.

I didn’t realize it until today, but we’re at Dallas on Thanksgiving. That is going to be all sorts of awesome! Looks like I’ll be ignoring my in-laws all day. Also awesome.

4. bitw44 says: Jul 14, 2014 2:57 PM

*Bane Voice*

Impossible…

5. floreskins says: Jul 14, 2014 3:07 PM

Maclin was always a better route runner than Jackson. He’s had a few costly drops in his career, but folks thinking that the Eagles offense is going to lack the “take the top off speed” that Jackson provided will be surprised when Maclin is inserted back into the lineup.

6. wydok says: Jul 14, 2014 3:13 PM

It’s possible he feels faster now because he also was coming back from the mystery illness in 2011.

7. birdfanatdabeach says: Jul 14, 2014 3:25 PM

With the weight of hiding the fact that you DO NOT like Deshaun is lifted you can move out.

You are not faster. Your second knee injury does not give you more speed.

You must be smart, play smart, and stop giving me heart problems when you go down for 3 plays and return with no known malady.

Learn the position(s) and get ready to listen to CHIP.

ICWT

8. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 14, 2014 3:27 PM

(Maniacal smile growning across my face and I do the Mr. Burns ‘excellent’ tapping fingers)

9. bmorepositive123 says: Jul 14, 2014 3:53 PM

Dear Lions fan, go worry about your own team and that atrocious defense.

Signed,
    Everyone

10. greymares says: Jul 14, 2014 4:13 PM

I am a big Maclin fan and I suspect he will have a very good year. Although most of it will come from the slot, as he will be supplanted at the wideout by Jordan Mathews (the steal of the draft).

11. rrhoe says: Jul 14, 2014 4:22 PM

Maclin sure has become quite the “mouth” since DeSean’s departure,I want to hear that mouth when things aren’tgoing so well on the field.

12. rrhoe says: Jul 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Maclin sure has become quite the “mouth” since DeSean’s departure,I want to hear that mouth when things aren’t going so well on the field.

13. mraccurate says: Jul 14, 2014 4:29 PM

He’s done a lot of talking this offseason, so he better be ready to back it up!!

14. hanklin89 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:31 PM

I am hoping that Jordan Matthews can lend a hand to this WR corp and doesn’t turn out to be Reggie Brown 2.0

15. sumkat says: Jul 14, 2014 4:46 PM

If that is even close to true, the rest of the NFC east is in trouble. Jackson was clearly the faster of the 2, but Maclin was always the better of the 2 (especially when someone not named Mike Vick was the QB)

16. justintuckrule says: Jul 14, 2014 4:56 PM

Listen to all the delusional Eagles fans touting this “WR corp” as the second coming of the 84′ niners. Truth…not one would start on NYG or Wash.

McCoy better wear his big boy pads this year. Tough putting up those numbers against a consistent 9 man box. Ask Bradshaw once Plax shot himself.

7-9.

17. notthetroll says: Jul 14, 2014 5:38 PM

I always liked Maclin and had him higher than Crabtree before that draft. Doubt he’s faster though, but I’d give him the benefit of the doubt about how he feels.

18. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 14, 2014 5:40 PM

When Chip is back in college next year Jon Gruden will finally get 1000 yds out of Maclin.

19. justintuckrule says: Jul 14, 2014 6:37 PM

Where was I when Pennsylvania became the 3rd state to legalize drugs?

20. cassrangers says: Jul 14, 2014 6:43 PM

He’s going to need to be faster, that’s for sure. Not a ton of speed at the WR position for that team now.

21. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 14, 2014 6:50 PM

I really hope Maclin comes back with a vengeance this season, and being in Chip Kelly’s high-flying offense should only help to make that come true. Maclin is no slouch, and he was considered to be Philly’s #1 receiving option for a few years(probably because Vick is lefty and Maclin generally lined up on the left side).

One thing that I think Maclin will have trouble with more so than anything else is having to battle this rookie Jordan Matthews for playing time. Maclin will most likely be given the first shot at the starting job alongside Riley Cooper, but coaches and various Eagles personnel are already saying that Jordan Matthews looks like the very best WR on the entire Eagles team. It won’t take long for everyone to see just how talented this Matthews kid is, and I fully believe that if the rookie is called upon to start for Maclin due to injury…he won’t relinquish the job any time soon.

22. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 14, 2014 7:05 PM

Haha, consistent 9 man boxes against the Chip Kelly Eagles O. That’d be fun to watch. Ridiculous.

23. justintuckrule says: Jul 14, 2014 7:07 PM

Thanks to Eagles fans now I need to buy a new computer monitor. I snortled dr. pepper all over mine listening to these homers proclaiming Jordan Matthews as the best WR since the advent of the forward pass.

Now you just sound like Jets’ fans who thought that Stephen Hill was their savior. Stop it already. It’s July. You would think after 54 straight Julys of “this is our year”, you’d learn by now.

24. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Jul 14, 2014 8:21 PM

spread em then burn em makes chip a very happy genuis

25. thereyougo2 says: Jul 14, 2014 10:58 PM

Optimism is all good but to think anyone who never played in the league is a starter let alone capable without see it is way over the top.

Let’s see durning training camp and exhibition games if Matthews is even close to his build up. Just like giant fans will get the true news on all those free agents especially their new corner from Denver who doesn’t care to tackle.

26. nonetruerthanblue says: Jul 15, 2014 12:26 PM

Someone beat me to the desean comment…so could somehow mean that it’s in his dreams?

27. pardontheerruption says: Jul 15, 2014 12:37 PM

justintuckrule – are you really comparing Lesean McCoy to Bradshaw?! A better comparison of Ahmad Bradshaw would be Carrie Bradshaw…

28. justintuckrule says: Jul 15, 2014 4:33 PM

@pardontheeruption – You’re right. I shouldn’t compare AB to McCoy. AB has two rings weighing him down.

29. s0merand0mguy says: Jul 15, 2014 5:05 PM

@justintickrule

Resorting to a super bowl comment when you have nothing better to say right? McCoy was voted #5 best player in the NFL. So anything you say just seems like a joke if you dare try and compare him to….. LOL… Bradshaw… LOLOL.

30. foreverbleedinggreen25 says: Jul 16, 2014 11:04 AM

iamdinguskhan says:

LMAO, chip has a great system with grown men, he’s not coaching teenage kids like he was in college. that’s the difference. plus we got a group of guys that have that unbreakable bond, I’m loving it! our defense got better we all know what our offense is capable of. defense wins championships, and that’s what we worked on during this offseason!
    FLYEAGLESFLY