Pam Oliver’s 20th season on the sidelines for FOX will be her last

Oliver Getty Images

The upcoming season will be Pam Oliver’s 20th as a sideline reporter at FOX.  It also will be her last as a sideline reporter at FOX.

As explained by Richard Deitsch of SI.com, Oliver will leave the sidelines after the 2014 campaign.  For her farewell tour, she’ll bid adieu to the No. 1 Joe Buck/Troy Aikman broadcast team, sliding to the No. 2 outfit.  Erin Andrews will be promoted to the top spot.

Oliver told Deitsch she got the news in April.

“To go from the lead crew to no crew was a little shocking,” Oliver explained. “I said I wanted to do a 20th year [on the sidelines]. I expressed to them that I was not done and had something to offer. Again, I think it was predetermined coming in. Not at that meeting, but two years ago it was determined that no matter what I did or did not do, a change would be made for this year.”

But Oliver, 53, has nevertheless signed a long-term deal to remain with FOX in a variety of roles. Per Deitsch, Oliver will work on long-form features, specials, and major interviews. She’ll also do some work as a producer.

“Clearly it’s an expanded role that meets the needs of all the big events that FOX and FOX Sports 1 covers as well as the NFL on Fox,” FOX Sports president Eric Shanks told Deitsch.  “I can’t think of a more respected person in the entire industry than Pam Oliver, and when you find out that Pam is going to be doing the interview, I don’t think you would say that anyone else would do the interview better. Her being a part of the FOX family now and in the future is really important to us. The move is hugely positive to where FOX Sports is going and building its journalistic chops and credibility 365 days and not just 17 days a year.”

As Deitsch points out, if FOX feels so strongly about Oliver’s journalistic chops, why won’t she still be chopping some in-game journalism wood from the sidelines of NFL games?

The answer could be the simplest and most obvious one.  Some (not all, but some) networks view sideline reporting as a blend of in-game journalism and in-game eye candy, with a loose sliding scale balancing the two. Right or wrong, Oliver understands that.

“I live in the real world and I know that television tends to get younger and where women are concerned,” Oliver told Deitsch. “Just turn on your TV. It’s everywhere. And I’m not saying these younger girls don’t deserve a chance. I know I’ve had my turn.”

The real world also has real laws against age and gender discrimination, and it seems to be only a matter of time before a network gets a turn at defending against a lawsuit raising one or both of those claims.

Permalink 98 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
98 Responses to “Pam Oliver’s 20th season on the sidelines for FOX will be her last”
  1. cheeks9441 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:37 AM

The industry mindset is basically that at 53, she can still do sideline reporting — on radio.

2. cobrala says: Jul 14, 2014 11:38 AM

I don’t think her phony baloney “hard-hitting” interviews have served her well, either. She never found juice that interested me but rather came across as contrived.

3. lastdukestreetking says: Jul 14, 2014 11:38 AM

Speaking of eye candy, didn’t Fox also just sign Holly Sonders away from thr Golf Channel for both golf and NFL coverage?

4. thepftpoet says: Jul 14, 2014 11:38 AM

Females should never be involved in any sports announcing / sideline reporter jobs.

It just doesn’t sound right.

5. jazsrt says: Jul 14, 2014 11:39 AM

High definition television did not suite her well.

6. danind says: Jul 14, 2014 11:39 AM

oh wait, they decided to get rid of the rude and moody sideline reporter with the one that’s personable? never cared from Oliver, she always seemed so grumpy and had ZERO chemistry to Aikman and Buck. good riddance.

7. dmoney666 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:40 AM

She’s 53???????? She looks better than most 28-year olds! WOW!

8. riflemanlax says: Jul 14, 2014 11:40 AM

Pam Oliver > Erin Andrews. I don’t care about looks while I’m watching a game. I want intelligent commentary. Fox is crapping the bed here.

9. jimr10 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:41 AM

Why sideline reporters any way?

10. h3min1230 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:43 AM

Good riddance.

11. bpjensen says: Jul 14, 2014 11:43 AM

How is she 53 years old? That does not seem possible. Amazing how 20 years flies by.

12. larryravor says: Jul 14, 2014 11:43 AM

It is a shame. She does a good job and Andrew’s voice reminds me of chalk on a chalkboard

13. weepingjebus says: Jul 14, 2014 11:43 AM

Oh thank god!

14. scrp2 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:44 AM

I think it’s unfortunate we still have to listen to Joe Buck.

15. tmcb7 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:45 AM

I’ve thought for the last few years that Pam Oliver was a tired act. And she came across at times unprepared and aloof. She was good with older veteran players… but again, tired act.

16. joetoronto says: Jul 14, 2014 11:46 AM

Next.

17. pnut87 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:46 AM

She looks REALLY good for 53, I’m not sure I believe that sentence.

18. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 14, 2014 11:46 AM

Pam is smoking hot

19. dkalev says: Jul 14, 2014 11:47 AM

Did somebody say Erin Andrews? Maybe it will be worth watching games now; can’t Stand Troy aikman biased commentary and joe buck, well, just being himself

20. indymarc says: Jul 14, 2014 11:47 AM

In a few years she’s going to join the concussion lawsuit against the NFL for that hit to the head she took last season.

21. singletitle says: Jul 14, 2014 11:47 AM

Interesting that FOX Sports is putting Ms. Oliver out to pasture while continuing the prominent employment of one Terry Bradshaw.

One also has to wonder how much of this decision was based on the concussion Oliver sustained last year while at work.

22. killitandeatit says: Jul 14, 2014 11:48 AM

I always liked her. The new 53 looks more like 33 so I think she should continue on T.V. She will be missed.

23. golforepar says: Jul 14, 2014 11:48 AM

Check it out She has bigger hands than “Baby hands” Bridgewater!

24. hebertmw says: Jul 14, 2014 11:50 AM

Mike, when was the last (or only) time you defended someone against age discrimination? That is big talk, but as someone who is having one hell of a time getting work at 61 y.o. how does that help someone like me? A law is only as good as it can be used, and age discrimination is hard to prove against employers who hire the young.

25. snowman36 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:50 AM

I remeber having a crush on her in 5th grade…..I’m 30 now

26. scoops1 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:50 AM

Who cares…

Fox’s coverage of NFL is garbage…

from the pre-game show to coverage of the games themselves; just garbage

they would be doing the NFL world a favor by dumping Joe Buck and promoting Sam Rosen to the #1 team

27. niners816 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:50 AM

Can you take Joe Buck, too? Every time I see that little dork, I wanna mute the game.

28. shogunassasin30 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:51 AM

Sideline reporters are useless anyway. So are 3 hour pregame shows.

29. donterrelli says: Jul 14, 2014 11:53 AM

Bad move. I can’t stand Erin Andrews’ voice. Nice eye candy, though.

30. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 14, 2014 11:53 AM

None of this affects the vikings who never get the #1 or #2 broadcast team.

Last season Joe, Troy and Pam did half of the Packers games. Pam stays in the tunnel when it gets cold not on the sidelines. We’ll see how Erin handles the cold.

It is interesting that the #1 broadcast team goes to the game with the highest expected ratings, not necessarily the game with the two best records.

31. stonegossardstyle says: Jul 14, 2014 11:54 AM

She has been so lucky to get a shot to make a living on TV, let alone at that level. It’s nice to see her recognize things for what they are, and recognize her amazing fortune.

Make no mistake, there are literally 10,000 people that could do that job, if not would nearly do it for free, and Oliver has made a great career of her great fortune.

32. schmitty2 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:55 AM

Anybody who watches football on Fox would have to agree they got rid of the wrong person on that announce trio.

33. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 14, 2014 11:56 AM

Not that she did a horrible job, but I never thought that she did a great job or was effective enough at it. They need to set the bar higher in terms of broadcasting teams in a large number of roles for the coverage of these telecasts, so whatever changes they need to make to do things better is what they should be doing. If Erin Andrews is the best person to take over for Pam then so be it, just do a great job then.

I guess I’m just super picky, and I’m less interested in what the journalist looks like and more interested in their football acumen and their ability to aggressively think up smart questions, and in order to do that they have to be sharp and understand football and know how to probe for good potential material. I would feel more comfortable knowing what kind of tests or examination that Erin Andrews was put through to take over this job, because that information could remove any doubt that there is a superficial reason for the change. She does deserve credit for helping to set up that very memorable Richard Sherman moment with the “who was talking about you question”, although I was pretty disappointed that she cut off the interview before probing him just a bit more but maybe she was told to stop by some moronic director so I can’t hold that against her too much except for that she should have denied her orders and asked him more questions anyhow if that was the case.

34. ivydude81 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:56 AM

If joe buck’s daddy wasn’t in radio he would be selling insurance somewhere. He’s awful.

35. thegreatjimmyk says: Jul 14, 2014 11:56 AM

…and Tony Siragusa stays…I always enjoyed Pam Oliver, especially when she got interviews with Cris Carter in the studio and on the Vikes sideline.

36. bassplucker says: Jul 14, 2014 11:57 AM

I saw her in person at a couple games over the last few years. There’s a reason they only show her from the waist up. A BIG reason. Just sayin…

37. boisestatewhodat says: Jul 14, 2014 11:58 AM

I think she’s been great…will miss you Pam!

38. winstonjed44 says: Jul 14, 2014 11:59 AM

Sideline reporting is such a useless part of the coverage. It’s no offense to the women who do it, most of them are professionals and perform the job well. It’s just not a necessary part of the coverage, the interview with coaches is always pointless and uninformative and as are the tidbits given during the game. The only information that sideline reporters give that is useful is injury information.

39. akfinfan says: Jul 14, 2014 12:02 PM

Red jacket, green jacket, who gives a ****!

40. footballviewer says: Jul 14, 2014 12:02 PM

Pam Oliver has been fantastic. Very sorry to see her go. It’s a disgrace that Fox dumped her because she is 53 and not a bleached blonde white woman. Nothing personally against Erin Andrews but I’ve never found her to be any good as a reporter and its a big dropoff from Oliver to Andrews.

41. unclebluck says: Jul 14, 2014 12:03 PM

No matter how hard any of these women try, if you have not actually played the game you really no nothing about how the game works and can add little to the conversation except to entertain the unknowing audience itself…..

42. rascalmanny says: Jul 14, 2014 12:04 PM

The less I see of her the better.

43. kahunanc says: Jul 14, 2014 12:06 PM

Should have demoted entire team. Awful.

44. jlmd17 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:06 PM

I always thought that she had the best hair in sports reporting – oh that’s not her real hair?

45. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 14, 2014 12:07 PM

This gig lasted about 18 years longer than it should have for her. This spot should be rotated out with new talent every couple years or so. It’s ridiculous.

46. chip56 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:08 PM

Given that Tony Siragusa is a sideline reporter I find it hard to believe that her looks got her the axe on the sideline.

47. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jul 14, 2014 12:14 PM

She looks AMAZING for 53.

That said:

A. Erin Andrews is hotter, and

B. Whenever the play-by-play says, “let’s go to the sidelines, with (whoever)…” I immediately subconsciously think to myself please let this end now and get back to football.

48. dirtydrynn27 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:19 PM

I’m going to miss her what a fox!!!!! She turns me all the way on

49. RegisHawk says: Jul 14, 2014 12:20 PM

I figured she would leave to pursue Donovan McNabb.

50. winstonjed44 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:20 PM

unclebuck: You’re arguing that women can’t report on football because they never played? Does that extend to males as well? So every analyst, reporter etc. that reports on football has to be a former player? That is ridiculous and it would make the coverage awful. I think that sideline reporting is useless, but having to have played the game to understand it is absurd.

51. flips220 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:24 PM

This move seems questionable on first glance. On the surface it looks like Fox is pushing Oliver to the side to usher in a younger, prettier face; and Andrews suits the look of your typical Fox female reporter perfectly. Yet, Andrews is a consummate professional, and is very good at her job. She’s also one of the biggest names when it comes to female reporters, so it makes sense that Fox would want her on their “A” team. And it’s not like they fired Pam Oliver–it sounds like she’ll still have a very important part in Fox’s sports reporting. They just moved her to a different role, even though this move did seem to happen against the wishes of Oliver.

The part that doesn’t make sense to me is just a matter of how their “A” team is constructed. At best, swapping Oliver for Andrews is a lateral move. They are both top flight reporters, so having one over the other isn’t really going to make a difference. However, Oliver was the best part of that A team. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman aren’t very…. good. If you’re going to reform your top crew, why get rid of the best part, and leave the two weaker parts?

52. chargrz says: Jul 14, 2014 12:26 PM

Finally! tired of her horse face.

53. MDRaider says: Jul 14, 2014 12:27 PM

Can she take Michele Tafoya with her please….

54. swede700 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:28 PM

Lesley Visser was shoved from the sidelines around the same age (although she did look significantly older than Pa does now), so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Michelle Tafoya will be the next one shoved out since she turns 50 this year.

55. darkneptune73 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:34 PM

She will be missed. Fox, like all others, want to change things for the worse. I hope they move Joe Buck to catering next.

56. ralphwilsonisrich says: Jul 14, 2014 12:36 PM

I remember when she started at a Buffalo TV News station. Time has flown by.

57. trapshoot says: Jul 14, 2014 12:36 PM

Yippee?! So what? Brings nothing to the game. None of the other sickened yappers do either.

58. blue18hutthutt says: Jul 14, 2014 12:37 PM

Could we please retire those abominations Joe Buck and Terry Bradshaw?

Buck single-handedly ruined Superbowl 42 and made one of the most exciting plays of this decade seem like a monotone routine play. This guy should stick to baseball or maybe something more his personality – like figure skating or clay pigeon shooting

59. vegasdestroyer says: Jul 14, 2014 12:41 PM

Sexism? on TV? Duh, you think.

If I took photos up women’s dresses like those TV camera crotch shots of cheerleaders every game, I would go to jail.

60. wtfchiefs says: Jul 14, 2014 12:44 PM

Imagine where we would be without sideline reporters.

No one to tell you the guy carted off in a knee brace has a knee injury.

No one to tell you the losing team at halftime has to make adjustments.

No one to ask a coach what happened in the first half even though we all just saw everything.

No one to show you neat props like special shoes a player is wearing, pink towels, helmet microphones, etc.

61. tmkelley1 says: Jul 14, 2014 12:44 PM

Great. Just what the world needs, another tall, white, leggy blonde with hair too long and curly. Jeez, give it a rest, they’re everywhere!

62. Deelron says: Jul 14, 2014 12:48 PM

I don’t know, maybe it had more to do with her jerky pre-NY Super Bowl comments. After those I can think of dozens of more respected persons in the industry then Pam Oliver.

63. ugadogs21 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:02 PM

All sideline reporters ask stupid questions but Pam Oliver has been getting the shaft since she called out Donovan McNabb for lying about about her.

64. citizenstrange says: Jul 14, 2014 1:12 PM

20 years on TV is a long freaking run. I mean that is like “Gunsmoke” long. And she still has a job so it’s not like she is out in the cold or something.

Good luck and best wishes to Pam Oliver!

65. butlers91 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:13 PM

Wow, 53 huh? She looks great.

66. mediasloppy says: Jul 14, 2014 1:18 PM

golforepar says: Jul 14, 2014 11:48 AM

Check it out She has bigger hands than “Baby hands” Bridgewater!
    ————–
    bobnelsonjr says: Jul 14, 2014 11:53 AM

None of this affects the vikings who never get the #1 or #2 broadcast team.
    ————–

Doesn’t matter what the topic is. Trolls will be trolls. Even thepftpoet managed to make a comment without going there…

67. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 14, 2014 1:20 PM

still be an all girl crew with Andrews joining Buck and Aikman

68. orcahawk says: Jul 14, 2014 1:21 PM

I liked Pam but she sure is twitchy. Seriously, look at her SB clips… she can’t hold still! Made me wonder if maybe she had a medical problem brewing or something…

69. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:27 PM

Please take Joe Buck with you!

70. pitofzombies94 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:28 PM

As long as they don’t break up Moose, Goose and Kenny.

71. realfootballfan says: Jul 14, 2014 1:29 PM

Have to get Erin on the sideline for more of those awkward Richard Sherman moments where she looks like a deer in headlights, lol. Sure can’t keep her in the studio much longer because she’s pretty awful at that.

72. jjackwagon says: Jul 14, 2014 1:32 PM

The only less interesting thing in the NFL is watching the cheerleaders routine.

73. sourdoughsam says: Jul 14, 2014 1:34 PM

There’s nothing wrong with age discrimination. People seem to understand it pretty well when it comes to pro athletes who can’t physically perform the task their jobs require, but many can’t seem to apply that same idea to other lines of work. Pam Oliver understands and accepts how it affects her, so why even push the issue?

74. tigersfandan says: Jul 14, 2014 1:35 PM

footballviewer says:
    Jul 14, 2014 12:02 PM
    ____________________________________

I doubt that it had anything to do with her race. She was just too old (not that I approve of that reason either).

75. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Jul 14, 2014 1:39 PM

She should be happy. She seems to be a fairly talented reporter and sideline reporting is an enormous joke.

76. paulhoss1 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:42 PM

……and Tony Siragusa is still there? Should’ve gotten rid of him not Pam Oliver.

77. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 14, 2014 1:48 PM

Oliver is 100 times better than most of the new faces….. LOL at the girl they have on 1st Take and most of the other plastics they are parading in front of us

78. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 14, 2014 1:50 PM

sorry.. make that football viewer

also agree with tigersfandom

can anyone say Cari Champion? LOL

79. mkelly534 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:51 PM

Sideline Reporters are treated similar to athletes. Always somebody younger and cheaper. Pam Oliver was not that great but 20 years at the same job does say something

80. cuda1234 says: Jul 14, 2014 1:55 PM

Nothing worse on a sports broadcast than a little reporterette stalking the coaches at the end of each half. They ask dumb questions and the coaches do their best to say nothing. What a waste of time!

81. clssylssy says: Jul 14, 2014 2:10 PM

And Erin Andrews is suppose to be an upgrade? It would be nice if fans didn’t have to stomach these airhead twits and would have the benefit of commentary by legitimate sports figures who actually knew what they were talking about and weren’t put in front of the camera as tokens! Compared to Erin Andrews,Pam Oliver is a rocket scientist and she should be relieved to no longer be relegated to the role of a cartoon character!

82. trollaikman8 says: Jul 14, 2014 2:12 PM

All the Joe Buck-bashing will end once he gets that USB 2.0 firmware upgrade. He’ll finally be as aware and natural as Siri.

83. steelerdeathstar says: Jul 14, 2014 2:21 PM

She’s always seemed like a nice, friendly,good-humored gal who was liked by the people she interviewed. Professional and did her job well. Erin Andrews is a step down.

84. fatguystrangler says: Jul 14, 2014 2:29 PM

As long as there no plugs for probiotics on the sideline, this change will be ok.

85. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jul 14, 2014 2:38 PM

Will Aikman and Buck have to step down also when they get to 53? Oh they are already. Excuse me. Their looks have not been as kind to them.

86. aa1829 says: Jul 14, 2014 2:44 PM

Too bad Erin plays down her good looks. Watch basketball broadcasts of her standing along the sideline between segments, when you can see her entire body. Wow. Even still, the ace bandage she wears under her blouse isn’t helping.

87. pftstory says: Jul 14, 2014 2:55 PM

Some like Pam, Some don’t. Some like Andrews. Some don’t.

Is the sideline reporter going to have any effect on if you watch a game?

Its a totally unimportant, over paid and over talked about job.

If you want the eye candy either provides you can get all you want on the internet (possibly more than Andrews would like) rather than the 15 seconds of a mostly head shot before each half.

88. hay1111 says: Jul 14, 2014 3:25 PM

nothing lost, nothing gained.

and dont forget that erin andrews is still around ONLY because of her sexy hotel pics. you think she gets on dancing with the stars/commercials/etc bc of her awesome sideline reporting talent? grow up

89. shlort says: Jul 14, 2014 3:43 PM

Pam still looks good for 53. I thought she was younger. All I know is she is hot. Used to be really hot, now she is just hot. I guess that means no more face time for Pam.

90. kando53 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:10 PM

Nothing against Pam Oliver, but sideline announcers as a whole have always seemed like a huge waste of air time to me. They rarely ever have anything insightful to say, and virtually all of the their occasional interesting insights could have just as easily been passed on to someone in the main booth.

91. jimr10 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Sideline reporter: Coach what will you have to do today to beat this talented team?
    Coach: Score more points

92. paulbrownlives says: Jul 14, 2014 4:30 PM

Pam Oliver blazed the trail and she is STILL smoking hot! Andrews is an air head. In the NFC champ game her interview with Sherman was a joke. Obviously she thought he was talking about her instead of Crabtree at first and showed she was offended. The there was the non-kiss with 50 cent @ Daytona. Oliver doesn’t have those kind of impressions because she was always a professional

93. onbucky96 says: Jul 14, 2014 4:53 PM

Buh-bye. And take Buck and that tool Aikman with you.

94. jackrabbitz says: Jul 14, 2014 5:43 PM

Please take Buck and Aikman with you!

95. mantastic54 says: Jul 14, 2014 7:43 PM

She should have been canned years ago when she suggested that race was the reason the bears didn’t extend Lovie smith after 2005 and completely ignored the fact that they extended jauron after one good year and it blew up in their face

96. melikefootball says: Jul 14, 2014 9:01 PM

Talk about good fortune, 20 years and I have yet to get what she brought to the broadcast

97. drs76109 says: Jul 14, 2014 9:49 PM