Jim Kelly says he’s not scared as he continues fighting cancer

jimkelly AP

Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has gone through chemotherapy, radiation and surgery as he continues to fight cancer, but he says he’s not discouraged and not scared.

In an appearance at his football camp today, Kelly looked a little thin but otherwise healthy, and he said his spirits are high. Kelly noted that losing his son, Hunter, who died of Krabbe disease in 2005 at age 8, gave him a different perspective on life and death.

“I’m not scared,” Kelly said, via WHAM. “I’ve never been scared of dying. I’m 54 years old. I’ve been through so many things in my life, I’ve done so many things, I’ve set goals, I’ve achieved goals, I’ve had a blast. If it’s my turn — if the good lord decides 55 is my age, so what? I’ll be going to see my son a little earlier than I thought I was going to. But the key to me is I know I have a lot more to do, a lot more lives to change and a lot of people out there who are going to change my life. So it’s still a long ways away, I hope and pray.”

Kelly is going through a tough fight. But he has millions of football fans in his corner.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Jim Kelly says he’s not scared as he continues fighting cancer”
  1. stoutfiles says: Jul 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Yeah…I think Jim is very scared. But that’s okay. Cancer is scary.

2. marko959 says: Jul 15, 2014 5:23 PM

I don’t think there is any shame of being scared, even if you are religious. You can have faith in knowing where you are going after death, but still fear the dying process.

Hopefully Jim won’t have to face that for a long, long time.

3. heeeeelzfan says: Jul 15, 2014 5:23 PM

Real. Greatness. Defined.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 15, 2014 5:26 PM

Those are some powerful words. It’s awesome that he is so strong and courageous, and every day is just another opportunity to help and save more lives. Keep up the honorable efforts and thanks for the inspiration!

5. claymus1 says: Jul 15, 2014 5:28 PM

Hoka Hey!

6. fissels says: Jul 15, 2014 5:29 PM

In this fight Jim is showing us all how a Christian handles adversity. With humility and a lack of fear.

7. metrocritical says: Jul 15, 2014 5:31 PM

It’s impossible not to root for him.

8. allhailkingflacco says: Jul 15, 2014 5:31 PM

What a horrible hand to be dealt but he has a great attitude, particularly with losing such a young child. And now this.

Good luck Jim.

9. samphilvista82 says: Jul 15, 2014 5:36 PM

I don’t care what happened in the SB’s. This guy is a WINNER and is proving it now. Thoughts and prayers to Jim and everyone fighting this fight.

10. loyalraven says: Jul 15, 2014 5:44 PM

st0utflies – we all live, we all die. No one escapes it but it sounds like he’s at peace with that realization. Why should he be anymore afraid of dying from cancer than you should be of having a fatal car accident on the way to work tomorrow morning? Kinda out of our control really but im sure that doesnt stop you from driving. Being diagnosed with cancer shouldn’t stop anyone from continuing their life the best they can.

Takes more bravery to live than it does to die. I wish the best for Jim, hope he overcomes it.

11. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 15, 2014 5:45 PM

Who knows the validity of this, because I certainly don’t know if it’s true or not, but what I’ve heard over the years is that a cure for cancer(or some type of beneficial breakthrough treatment) has already been discovered a while ago, but whoever discovered it was forcibly made to suppress their findings. There’s a very prevalent thought that if this cure for cancer were introduced to the masses…then the over-population problems we are already witnessing would increase exponentially. Also, we are seeing that over-population is already putting a strain on the limited planetary resources we have, and wars have already been waged over the control of vital resources

There’s 7-8 billion people on this planet if I’m not mistaken, and in a nutshell: releasing a cure for cancer may increase the worlds population so drastically that further conflicts over the control of resources may have us all looking at world war 3, or even mass genocidal acts perpetrated solely for the purpose of eliminating whole populations that would otherwise consume these precious resources.

*Im not arguing against a cure for cancer, because my mom herself had it and being able to provide her a cure would have been a dream come true. I’m only posing the possibility of worldwide ramifications of providing this cure to millions and millions of people. A cure for cancer would be an amazing thing for a lot of people…but eventually it may spurn a situation where it has a massively detrimental effects on our planet as a whole.

12. mobil4life says: Jul 15, 2014 5:45 PM

Live in Buffalo area. Sick of hearing about this. There are other people dealing with cancer that don’t get the attention that deserve it more than this guy. Sorry but don’t really care anymore.

13. nyyjetsknicks says: Jul 15, 2014 5:47 PM

fissels says:
    Jul 15, 2014 5:29 PM

_____________

Nothing like believing in fairytales to substitute reality.

14. computojon says: Jul 15, 2014 5:51 PM

Cancer patient here. You find huge reserves of inner strength you never knew existed. Jim Kelly is demonstrating that as well.

15. denverwally says: Jul 15, 2014 5:52 PM

Jim is a good guy. Root for him to pull through.

16. alshonbrandontandem says: Jul 15, 2014 6:11 PM

Good luck Jim – I’m not mad at you for losing the SuperBowl against Dallas (the 2nd one) and costing me $500 anymore. I got over that about 3 yrs ago.

Good luck to you #12

17. pilot2011 says: Jul 15, 2014 6:12 PM

wow what powerful words. Got a little choked up reading that. You are awesome Jim!

18. jgsvikes says: Jul 15, 2014 6:45 PM

Go Jim!

19. coloneldukelacross says: Jul 15, 2014 6:45 PM

Jim Kelly is pure class. He is the Richard Burton of the NFL.

20. TheWizard says: Jul 15, 2014 6:47 PM

Nothing like believing in fairytales to substitute reality.

If you are secure in your beliefs, there is no need to make such a statement.

21. wwwmattcom says: Jul 15, 2014 6:55 PM

This guy has more optimism with cancer than all of the trolls on this site combined.

22. jimmysee says: Jul 15, 2014 6:59 PM

It’s a hard road.

God bless.

We’re hoping for the best possible outcome.

23. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 15, 2014 7:05 PM

Wishing Jim Kelly all the best in his battle with cancer. It’s a shame. Seems like such a good guy. Hope he pulls through.

24. jimmysee says: Jul 15, 2014 7:08 PM

captainwisdom8888 says:
    Jul 15, 2014 5:45 PM

————————————————————

For someone who calls himself CaptainWisdom — you’re certainly not well informed.

For starters, there is no one cure for cancer because there is not one form of cancer. There are hundreds, maybe thousands. Each has its own prognosis and treatment.

I’m a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed, had surgery, chemo, radiation, and now no cancer in my body for several years. I’m not in remission. My cancer was eradicated. Doctors say the farther out I go, the less chance it will ever return. So far, so very very good! :-)

For me, thanks to early detection, great doctors, and medical insurance that never gave me a problem no matter the cost, I’m here to tell my story.

But not everyone is so lucky.

Because there are endless types of cancers.

Only some of which can be cured.

Certainly hope Jim Kelly gets to where I am today.

For what it’s worth, my brother did not make it.

25. cfballfan1 says: Jul 15, 2014 7:09 PM

Great perspective Jim – Godspeed!

26. gopats413 says: Jul 15, 2014 7:23 PM

#KellyTough

27. cpitch12 says: Jul 15, 2014 7:29 PM

Much respect from this Patriots fan….get well Jim…..

28. slamtrackslikeqbsacksfromlt says: Jul 15, 2014 8:07 PM

Im pretty agnostic/borderline atheist, but I gotta say; when confronted with death, I admire the way certain people of faith handle it. Keep fighting Jim!!

29. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 15, 2014 8:54 PM

I always say this, but it bears repeating. I’ve never met a real football fan that didn’t admire and respect Jim Kelly.

30. snakeskinsoul says: Jul 15, 2014 9:13 PM

The Dawg-pound sends much love and respect your way Mr. Kelly. ..may you win your valiant fight.

31. fatjack119 says: Jul 15, 2014 9:39 PM

Dolphin fan here. Good luck Jim Kelly, and shame on anyone who actually thinks that there is some phantom cure for cancer that is held under wraps so that millions of innocent people will die and “thin out the herd”. Absolutely ridiculous! Jim Kelly is the embodiement of a Mans man, brave and strong.

32. ballboy48 says: Jul 15, 2014 9:48 PM

Keep fighting Jim. Browns fan here and know that you’re a tough competitor! Keep going, and hopefully you get the chance to see your Bills win the big one in your lifetime.

33. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 15, 2014 9:52 PM

I really really like Kelly. I thought he was a hell of a player when he played, and I think he’s a top notch guy now.
    Hoping he’s successful in his fight. I know it’s a fight. I’ve seen it up close and personal multiple times.
    The fight reveals the person inside…

34. realnflmaster says: Jul 15, 2014 10:00 PM

Go away you bible thumpers. Fairy tale lovers.

35. billsboy88 says: Jul 15, 2014 11:47 PM

Been a fan of you my entire life, Jim. I’ve never met you, but you are a true hero

36. conbro8 says: Jul 15, 2014 11:54 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Jul 15, 2014 5:47 PM

fissels says:
    Jul 15, 2014 5:29 PM

_____________

Nothing like believing in fairytales to substitute reality.
    ==================================
    Keep on tipping that fedora. I bet if it was Namath in Kelly’s shoes, you’d sing a different song.

37. kobebetterthanjordan says: Jul 15, 2014 11:59 PM

Jesus was an alien.

38. thetooloftools says: Jul 16, 2014 12:17 AM

“There are other doors through which we all must pass” – why Jim Morrison named his band “The Doors”.

39. raiderluv says: Jul 16, 2014 1:00 AM

Shame on the people that left sick and distasteful responses to this story. Good luck Jim– there are decent people out here that are pulling for you. Hang in there sir. I’m pulling for you.

40. chinahand11 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:02 AM

Cancer survivor here. If I can do it, Jim sure as heck can. He was dealt a pretty rough karmic hand, losing a child, now this. Yeah, as Computojon said, when you go through treatment for the big C, you find strength inside you did not think you had. Hair falls out, you lose weight, throw up often, feel sick all the time, no appetite, and you just keep getting up and slugging back because what the hell else you gonna do? Jim, just pretend your cancer is the Finns or Pats and kick its *ss!

41. back2theplayoffs says: Jul 16, 2014 1:47 AM

An inspiration for everyone. You inspired me to become a Bills fan way back when I was 5 years old. Now a 33 year old, 2 kids, and a 13 year Bills season ticket holder…..you continue to inspire. LETS GO BUFFALO.

42. jayquintana says: Jul 16, 2014 2:08 AM

Kelly had every reason to throw Norwood under the bus. He never did. Says a lot about the man.

It’s called character.

43. babygaga19 says: Jul 16, 2014 6:00 AM

Never a Bills fan, but how could you not like Jim Kelley?

JIMSTRONG!

44. billswillnevermove says: Jul 16, 2014 6:52 AM

mobil4life says:Jul 15, 2014 5:45 PM

__________________________________
    And you sir, can move away from the Buffalo area and find a rock to crawl under.

45. mp42245 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:10 AM

Those that give a thumbs down on a sincere post about his bravery and believing in the hereafter are sick individuals. Good luck Jim, I wish you the best now and in the hereafter.

46. 2ruefan says: Jul 16, 2014 8:36 AM

Captain “wisdom”? LOL..more like captain conspiracy theorist. you probably also worry about “Chem trails”, the “one world government”, are convinced the moon landing was faked, and the evil of the Bilderberg conferences” and invading aliens. stock up on the tinfoil for your hat…

47. baddegg says: Jul 16, 2014 9:41 AM

Much respect to Jim Kelly! He has been through a lot. It’s true I think losing a son might actually be harder than facing your own demise. It’s amazing he still has a positive attitude…props to Jim!

48. clark54bears says: Jul 16, 2014 9:43 AM

When you surrender your life to Christ and know you will be raised to Heaven just like He was…there is no fear, you look forward to Heaven, you long to be home.

49. jimmysee says: Jul 16, 2014 11:36 AM

We all find strength within ourselves in our own ways.

Belief in Jesus certainly helps some folks.

My belief was in myself, to get the most out of my life, not surrender to the disease, and to follow the advice of my doctors.

If Jesus was watching over me and helping along the way, I’ll take it. It was a bonus!

50. simonator917 says: Jul 16, 2014 4:10 PM

As a Raiders fan I wasn’t a fan of Kelly as a player, but I’m definitely a fan of his now.

51. kobebetterthanjordan says: Jul 16, 2014 6:29 PM