Bizarre courtroom scenes lead to Greg Hardy conviction

Greg Hardy, Drew Rosenhaus AP

Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy was found guilty last night on two counts of assault on a female and communicating threats at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse.

It just felt like it was on the set of the Jerry Springer Show.

As compiled by Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, the trial had more than a bit of a circus atmosphere, full of bizarre testimony that made both sides look bad.

Hardy’s accuser admitted to using cocaine the night of the attack, and when defense attorneys asked her about a previous car accident she was in in which police found marijuana on the scene, she replied: “The weed flew out of my car.”

But she also described Hardy going into a jealous rage when he heard a song from Nelly in the nightclub they were in, since Holder had a brief affair with the rapper who is a minority owner of the Charlotte Hornets.

As it pertains to the Panthers franchised-tagged defensive end, the details in court painted a picture of a bizarre up-and-down relationship, which included him taking Holder to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, only to surprise her by sending her back to Charlotte while he went to New York for the Super Bowl.

There were also allegations of the guns he kept in his home, with one witness saying  “Oh my God, there’s so many guns,” when she walked into his apartment.

Then there was the bizarre exchange in which prosecutors asked him if he was drinking the night of the assault.

Prosecutor Jamie Adams: “You had alcohol.”

Hardy: “Champagne.”

Adams: “Is champagne alcohol?”

Hardy: “You tell me.”

Adams: “OK we’ll move on.”

While Hardy was found guilty, his lawyers said they’d appeal to a jury trial, which could drag out well beyond the coming season.

How much of that season he plays for the Panthers remains to be seen.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Bizarre courtroom scenes lead to Greg Hardy conviction”
  1. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 16, 2014 8:22 AM

Interesting. I still think he beats this. Mainly because of this: ‘And when defense attorneys asked Holder how she came through an assault from a player the size of Hardy “without breaking a fingernail,” she replied: “Uh, I did break a fingernail, a toenail.”’

So you were choked, slammed into a wall, thrown onto a bed of metal, and thought you were a dead woman, but your worst injury is a broken toe nail? Come on now….

2. joetoronto says: Jul 16, 2014 8:24 AM

This guy is right up there with JaMarcus when it comes to smarts.

3. therealbillybuffalo says: Jul 16, 2014 8:26 AM

Another idiot with too much money.

4. hawkeye592 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:32 AM

I suppose I would feel like assaulting people as well if they played Nelly at any club I went to.

5. wfederal says: Jul 16, 2014 8:32 AM

Way to leave us hanging! Is Champagne alcohol or not?! I hear they are doing a sequel on the Maury Povich Show. It’s supposed to be bigger than the Jersey Shore

6. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 16, 2014 8:32 AM

Both people involved need to learn what it means to be in a healthy relationship.

7. easyeddie says: Jul 16, 2014 8:33 AM

Hardy will implode someday.

8. bmorepositive123 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM

If the guy from the Cowboys can drink to the point of double the legal limit, then get in a car with a teammate and go 100+mph and end up killing him, then hangout on the sidelines, not get cut by the Cowboys, and possibly still be on the team in the future, then all I’ve got to say is:

Nothing in this league shocks me anymore. Period.

9. ajgreenhof says: Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM

Best part.

10. flankerright says: Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM

Wow and it’s so hard to believe this guy went to a facility of higher education at some point in his life…

11. anpsteel says: Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM

Prosecutor Jamie Adams: “You had alcohol.”

Hardy: “Champagne.”

Adams: “Is champagne alcohol?”

Hardy: “You tell me.”

Adams: “OK we’ll move on.”

*********************

That’s gold Jerry! Gold!

12. jimmyt says: Jul 16, 2014 8:38 AM

Sounds like a nice couple.

13. bassplucker says: Jul 16, 2014 8:42 AM

It’s pretty clear by now that the IQ of Hardy and Holder combined is somewhere south of 80.

14. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 16, 2014 8:45 AM

“There were also allegations of the guns he kept in his home, with one witness saying “Oh my God, there’s so many guns,” when she walked into his apartment.”

“…allegations of the guns…” – what’s that even mean? Of all the terrible, weird things this guy is being accused/found guilty of, owning guns regardless of quantity isn’t one of them.

15. andreboy1 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:46 AM

Not a funny situation but…

That exchange about champagne was funny as hell. I’ve worked with lawyers for 10 years and I love it when people mess with them.

16. titansbro says: Jul 16, 2014 8:46 AM

I think it’s damn near impossible to tell what really happened that night, but I think the only logical conclusion to the trial is to order both these morons to stay away from each other forever. They’re both mentally instable & that shizz don’t mix.

Is champagne achohol?
    You tell me.

Classic response. Haha.

17. ninjapleazee says: Jul 16, 2014 8:47 AM

If ray rice walked away after being caught on camera knocking a woman out then dragging her out of the elevator, Hardy will have no problem.

18. jhutch02 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:48 AM

Stay classy San Diego

19. longhairdontcare66 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:49 AM

10 yrs from now I wonder how tough Greg Hardy will feel.

20. bradyisyourdaddy says: Jul 16, 2014 8:52 AM

Him and Aldon Smith are NFL poster boys.

21. cylondetector says: Jul 16, 2014 8:53 AM

That exchange between Hardy and the prosecutor is awesome.

These two individuals seem pretty well met actually – lets ust hope they don’t attempt procreation.

22. junkmtb says: Jul 16, 2014 8:54 AM

Anything directly related to Hardy can be categorized as “bizarre”!!!

23. scoonie97 says: Jul 16, 2014 8:58 AM

Wait… so is champagne alcohol or not?

24. dcapettini says: Jul 16, 2014 9:01 AM

Somehow human males are hard wired to be goofy around hot females. It is in the genes. Our primate cousins aren’t nearly as stupid. The only critters I’ve seen that are as stupid as us are male dogs. They allow the females to act all nasty and themselves to get bit and they just hang around just in case she changes her mind.

25. mkepackfan says: Jul 16, 2014 9:03 AM

Somewhere Greg Hardy is awaiting an answer if champagne is alcohol…no really, he really does want to know because he doesn’t know himself.

26. laurencejn says: Jul 16, 2014 9:03 AM

Judge should have sentenced these two morons to get married! Odds are they could not find anyone dumber to be with!

27. heyguru69 says: Jul 16, 2014 9:12 AM

Nothing like a little arrogance on the stand to endear you to the judge overseeing your case. Hardy may be an excellent football player, but common sense seems to be at a premium with him and those around him. When will these young divas realize they’ve been handed a golden opportunity to improve their lives, and the lives of their families, instead of wrapping yourself in bling and attitude? Cut his ass.

28. floratiotime says: Jul 16, 2014 9:22 AM

Champagne is NOT alcohol. Alcohol is alcohol. Champagne is wine which contains some alcohol.

Thanks for playing.

29. abninf says: Jul 16, 2014 9:23 AM

andreboy1 says:
    Jul 16, 2014 8:46 AM

====================================

Looks like the lawyer got the last laugh. Perhaps he should have been more contrite.

30. bridgeh20mvp says: Jul 16, 2014 9:25 AM

Nelly rocks, poor guy , silly how insecure these big guys can be! Doesn’t he realize that Nelly will always be #1, 2 is not a winner and 3 nobody remembers!

31. jetsmmt says: Jul 16, 2014 9:26 AM

You don’t put your hands on a woman, period. Suspend this jackwagon.

32. bassplucker says: Jul 16, 2014 9:26 AM

All I can say is, I sure hope these two idiots break up before they have a chance to procreate.

33. dcbear90 says: Jul 16, 2014 9:30 AM

Get this guy a reality show now.

34. jdanknich says: Jul 16, 2014 9:33 AM

Can’t we just put them both in jail?

35. sumkat says: Jul 16, 2014 9:33 AM

“Is Champagne alcohol”

“you tell me”

Yeah, you were guilty right there. Here’s an idea, when you are taking part in a trial without a jury, don’t disrespect the judge and his/her courtroom

36. 700levelvet says: Jul 16, 2014 9:39 AM

Who is Nelly?

37. edavidberg says: Jul 16, 2014 9:40 AM

What kind of trial was this if they can “appeal to a jury trial”?

If Hardy’s lawyers took it bench they made a big mistake, juries would not believe for a second the alleged victim after she admits she was doing cocaine and claims she was brutally assaulted with no injury.

I also am surprised they called Hardy to testify. If she was choked there would have been redness or bruising to her neck. The lack of injury destroys the State’s case. There is no need to subject your client to cross-examination.

That’s my two cents anyways.

38. mrfrostyj says: Jul 16, 2014 9:41 AM

“Stop doing stories about us until we get half as crazy as this”

– signed Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel

39. tramonisland says: Jul 16, 2014 9:48 AM

hawkeye592
    Jul 16, 2014, 7:32 AM CDT
    ——————————————
    You prefer Nickelback? Not sure how anyone doesn’t like Nelly. You clearly are no fun to hang out with.

40. elgranderojo79 says: Jul 16, 2014 9:51 AM

That lawyer is an idiot. Why ask for clarification on a question the man answered? I’m pretty sure 99% of the population knows champagne is an alcoholic product.

Also, I saw the list of guns from Hardy’s apartment and I know people with many more than that. Owning them is not a crime. We are just raised in a society were a lot of people are very uncomfortable with guns at all.

41. psly2124 says: Jul 16, 2014 10:01 AM

This case is chick full of TNB

42. ausernamethatisavailable says: Jul 16, 2014 10:07 AM

Sounds like a good guy.

43. rrhoe says: Jul 16, 2014 10:07 AM

titansbro says:Jul 16, 2014 8:46 AM

Which means they will be right back together……if they not already.

44. thegreenandcold says: Jul 16, 2014 10:19 AM

Greg “The Kraken” Hardy. Destroyer of 300lb offensive linemen. Demolisher of QBs. Breaker of… toenails?

45. bkostela says: Jul 16, 2014 10:20 AM

sumkat says: Jul 16, 2014 9:33 AM

“Is Champagne alcohol”

“you tell me”

________________

what a retarded question though. he answered the attorney’s question by stating he had champagne. for the attorney to take that any further was simply asking for the response he got.

46. xsm941f says: Jul 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Owning a bunch of guns is odd but leaving them laying around your apartment (according to testimony they were on the bar, on the bed and scattered around the place) is downright bizarre. I can’t think of any rational reason for that. Its moronic.

47. skoobyfl says: Jul 16, 2014 10:40 AM

This is a rough couple, so I’d expect a few fragments from both sides every now and then.

48. crenshawpete714 says: Jul 16, 2014 10:47 AM

What an absolute goon

49. tebowislife says: Jul 16, 2014 10:53 AM

He’s gonna be Jovan Belcher 2.0 if North Carolina or the NFL allows him to keep his arsenal.

50. ugadogs21 says: Jul 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Their kids will be extraordinarily stupid.

51. hawkstradamus says: Jul 16, 2014 11:08 AM

I know it sounds crazy, but I hear wedding bells.

52. selldannysell says: Jul 16, 2014 11:15 AM

ugadogs21 says: Jul 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Their kids will be extraordinarily stupid.

————————————————–

Let’s pray it doesn’t get that far!

53. baytownbombers says: Jul 16, 2014 11:24 AM

I’m not saying these are good people BUT I get the feeling the only reason these charges are being brought against Hardy is that Holder knows the judge will do what many of us on this board have done. Type cast Hardy as a jealous, raging, gun owning athlete monster and declare him Guilty without any real knowledge or evidence. I’m not a Hardy, or even a Panther fan. Ray Lewis, Ray Rice, Donte Stallworth, Aaron Hernandez, Collin Kaepernick the list goes on. It doesn’t matter if your right or wrong, just if your liked or hated. Due process is dead and reality TV rules. Sad.

54. superman2352 says: Jul 16, 2014 11:30 AM

“…had a brief affair with the rapper who is a minority owner of the Charlotte Hornets.”

We all know Nelly is black. Can’t he just be an owner, why you gotta call him a minority?

55. purpleguy says: Jul 16, 2014 11:47 AM

If those two have children I wonder if their kids will ever learn how to tie their shoes.

56. leatherhelmets says: Jul 16, 2014 11:52 AM

This has all the makings of a modern day Shakespearean drama.

57. lowdownmofo says: Jul 16, 2014 11:53 AM

I heard it was a bed full of water cannons filled with Champagne. Sounds like a good time.

58. channer81 says: Jul 16, 2014 12:03 PM

Big deal, guys like Leonard Little, and Donte Stallworth we’re let back on the sidelines after DUI vehicular manslaughter charges. This is childs play, if you produce in the league you get more leeway .

59. jayovalentine says: Jul 16, 2014 12:23 PM

Nelly has always been whack. I would not be jealous of him, I would let him have her then.

60. casualmalexlfan says: Jul 16, 2014 12:44 PM

Prosecutor Jamie Adams: “You had alcohol.”

Hardy: “Champagne.”

Adams: “Is champagne alcohol?”

Hardy: “”Depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.”

Adams: “….”

61. timmmah10 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:04 PM

“mrfrostyj says: Jul 16, 2014 9:41 AM

“Stop doing stories about us until we get half as crazy as this”

– signed Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel”

Frosty needs to watch Josh Gordon’s DUI video…

62. thepftpoetisacrossdresser says: Jul 16, 2014 1:21 PM

floratiotime says:
    Jul 16, 2014 9:22 AM

Thanks for playing.
    _________________________________

What is beer then?

63. melikefootball says: Jul 16, 2014 1:21 PM

As usual where are you at Gödel. You have in the past gave people up to six game suspension and not even arrested. Where are you at Gödel?

64. Smash-Mouth.com says: Jul 16, 2014 1:51 PM

Let’s hope these two don’t procreate.

65. athwartships says: Jul 16, 2014 3:41 PM

Life decisions get you in this position. Guilty or not, no one just accidently finds themselves in a court room.

Life decisions, bro.

66. crewchief15 says: Jul 16, 2014 5:19 PM

Got pulled over by a cop and he ask me if I had been drinking alcohol? I told him I only had Champagne, so he let me go…