Hugh Douglas opens up about his ESPN firing

Eagles v Seahawks Getty Images

We haven’t heard much from former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas since he was fired by ESPN, amid allegations he threatened to beat up a co-worker, using racial slurs along the way.

But Douglas has broken his silence, telling former NFL tight end Luther Broughton and Micah Warren on Cheap Shots (you can listen to the full interview here) that he wasn’t drunk at the time of the incident. But he did admit “it was certainly a party atmosphere.”

Douglas admitted a confrontation after he tried to climb on-stage along with former co-hosts Michael Smith and Jemele Hill.

[Smith] says ‘Don’t you ever effing do that again,'” Douglas said. “And so I looked at him and I’m like ‘Mike what’s the matter?’ And he walks away, so I walked behind him. And I’m like ‘Dude, what’s going on?’ So, he stopped and he’s talking to this young lady. So I walk up to Michael and I whisper in his ear. I said ‘Mike, don’t you ever talk to me like that again, because I will beat your M F’ing A.’ Just like that.”

Douglas insisted he wasn’t mad at Smith, though the incident led to his firing.

“You know how they say you’re supposed to be able to identify snakes? Didn’t see that one coming. That one’s on me,” Douglas said. “I thought our relationship was more than what it was. You know, I thought we were cool, bottom line. But, we weren’t, so.”

The initial incident didn’t exactly make Douglas more marketable, and I’m not sure the explanation did either.

But Douglas was always willing to offer bold opinions (which is how he ended up talking for a living), so he’s at least getting back in the mix of offering them.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Hugh Douglas opens up about his ESPN firing”
  1. rickastleydancemoves says: Jul 16, 2014 1:10 PM

If that’s what Michael Smith said to him, I would’ve told him the same thing. Like Warren Sapp, Hugh Douglas believes in his mind that he’s a likeable, charismatic personality, when in reality people pretty much despise him.

2. mburkett1980 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:11 PM

I’m going to go ahead and speculate that this dispute involved a female.

3. firerogergoodell says: Jul 16, 2014 1:14 PM

I could have told you that Michael Smith was a snake from a mile away. Hugh was never much of an analyst though and ESPN always protects it’s moneymakers.

4. firerogergoodell says: Jul 16, 2014 1:17 PM

ESPN has a zero tolerance policy for drunks though. When was the last time you saw Dana Jacobson?

5. marty2020 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:18 PM

Hugh Douglas took a huge free agent contract from the Jaguars, reported totally out of shape and did absolutely nothing on the field, then after he was released a year later, bragged openly about how it was “a paid vacation.”
    As far as I’m concerned, the man is lower than a snake.

6. Golics Love Child From Philly says: Jul 16, 2014 1:18 PM

Michael Smith is a tool!!!

7. ctiggs says: Jul 16, 2014 1:18 PM

#NobodyhasitbetterthanUS

8. irishlad19 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:24 PM

Meathead–go find Warren Sapp and tell him your woes.

9. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 16, 2014 1:26 PM

If Douglas whispered this to Michael Smith, then it’s obvious that Smith tattled – punk move.

Narc.

10. theageofquarrel says: Jul 16, 2014 1:29 PM

ESPN just plain sucks

11. qdog112 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:29 PM

Smith is the type to deal in office politics, the hall monitor type – a “corporate suit”, if you will.

He’s the smile in your face type guy, who’s plotting behind your back the whole time.

12. surfinbird1 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:39 PM

One thing is for sure Smith didn’t like it one bit when Douglas disagreed with him on the show. They both stink. Actually Jemele does too.

13. cpitch12 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:39 PM

its not what you know …but who you know….

14. crewchief15 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:42 PM

At least he’s honest, I’ll take an imperfect honest person over a perfect liar any day.

15. crewchief15 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:44 PM

Love the “Golics Love Child From Philly” name…

16. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jul 16, 2014 1:46 PM

I got drunk with Hugh at a bar in Hartford once. Very fun drunk but I think he could wear thin after a while.

17. ontherocks1964 says: Jul 16, 2014 1:57 PM

They both come across as tools.

18. oldcracker says: Jul 16, 2014 2:02 PM

Did the boys tip the waiter or did they pull “a Sapp” on the help? Sapp is such a perfect name for that low-life cretin.

19. crewchief15 says: Jul 16, 2014 2:13 PM

I thought I had ADD, because I could not watch ESPN for more than 5 min w/o getting bored. I now realize that it’s not me, the programming is cr@p.

20. sweetnlow44 says: Jul 16, 2014 2:17 PM

ESPN is garbage anymore because of pompous blowhards like Michael Smith. It’s mostly unwatchable. Kenny Maine is the only guy from ESPN that’s worth anything. It’s way too corporate-ey now and nobody has any personality or humor. Especially Michael Smith.

21. rutchaser says: Jul 16, 2014 2:18 PM

When is Warren Sapp going to be taken off TV? He insults my intelligence everytime I hear him.

22. ttommytom says: Jul 16, 2014 2:21 PM

For Smith to repeat what was ‘whispered in his ear’, makes him not quite a man.

Any guy who lives in a semi rough and tumble world knows EXACTLY what ‘whispering in someone’s ear ‘means.

For those not in the know it was what mobsters do to make sure no one is taping them. It’s when men are men stuff. ‘Let’s take care of business and it’s between us’, type of thing.

I like Hugh now. The other guy should put on a dress…

23. spurtbball says: Jul 16, 2014 2:22 PM

It may be a cliche, but it certainly applies in the case of Hugh Douglas…GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD GARBAGE!

24. raiderufan says: Jul 16, 2014 2:29 PM

I think ESPN’s anchors get beaten down way to hard. The company itself and the chosen programs to cover are terrible but that’s not the job of the anchor.

I can’t stand ESPN in general but it’s on all day in my house during the nothing else to watch times and I really don’t mind guys/women like John Anderson, Coachman, Jay Crawford, Neil Everett, Kenny Mayne, Sara Walsh…Trey Wingo…

I think we beat these guys that are pretty good up a bit much due to hate for the four letters and terrible reporting. As far as reporters and breaking news go? The worst.

25. nflcommissioner says: Jul 16, 2014 2:42 PM

Typical Eagle !!

26. crappygovernment says: Jul 16, 2014 2:43 PM

ESPN = Eisner’s Sports Pharisee Network

27. nyking1963 says: Jul 16, 2014 2:48 PM

Smith always looked like one of those typical ESPN analysts who thought he was a lot “cooler”than he was.
    They try to pretend they know so much about sports without ever playing sports in their lives. Thty think they’re tight with the athletes.
    I can bet that when Douglas said that in his ear, Smith pooped himself…

28. ydousuk says: Jul 16, 2014 2:52 PM

So….threatening to beat down a fellow employee is frowned upon at ESPN…..who’d of thought?

29. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 16, 2014 3:08 PM

Ttommytom,

You claim you like Douglas now. Do you like the part where he is proudly boasts about getting a big contract in Jax and then not working hard? How about the part where he assaulted a woman? This “man” is simply arrogant and shows his true colors when someone doesn’t treat him like he is the most important man in the world. Also, you must not have had the misfortune to experience Douglas’s work on sports talk radio. It was awful. Thankfully, it looks like he has chocked and threatened his way out of another job on TV or radio.

30. reeggss says: Jul 16, 2014 3:12 PM

For some crazy reason I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle, I doubt Hugh Douglas, a former NFL football player, simply whispered it in his ear that he would beat his arse as opposed to shouting it. Not to mention he had been drinking.

31. udontknowjacku says: Jul 16, 2014 3:16 PM

LOL!! ESPN fires you then what? Thats the bottom of the barrel..

32. mrlaloosh says: Jul 16, 2014 3:18 PM

People still watch ESPN? Who knew……

33. mvp43 says: Jul 16, 2014 3:34 PM

well at least Smith didn’t go all Ray Rice on that girl.

34. glasselephantkungfu says: Jul 16, 2014 3:36 PM

firerogergoodell says:Jul 16, 2014 1:17 PM

she is on CBS radio

35. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 16, 2014 3:42 PM

Since being beat down by TO a few years back, I guess Hugh has moved on to outta shape non-athletes.

36. soleman50 says: Jul 16, 2014 3:53 PM

It was a crap show anyway!!

37. onbucky96 says: Jul 16, 2014 4:18 PM

Hugh sounds like he belongs with the tools at NFLN.

38. scmems07 says: Jul 16, 2014 4:24 PM

Smith is on a long list of ESPN analyst’s I really don’t like and are reasons I don’t tune in to watch.

39. rupp246 says: Jul 16, 2014 4:47 PM

Other then when there is some sporting event on, ESPN is horrible. They should stop broadcasting 24 hrs a day.

40. rg3zacharm says: Jul 16, 2014 6:06 PM

I think it’s interesting how all if these former professional sports players get jobs on tv, and none of them teach me anything about the game that I don’t already know. Plus, they’re not made for tv so it’s a double negative.

41. TheWizard says: Jul 16, 2014 6:49 PM

I see many of you don’t like current sports programming.

I understand. It was much, much better when there was far fewer of them and every show didn’t try to do a 22 minute joke fest.

As much as I bust on Florio for being a liberal, his PFT television show is really the best thing going in the sports world.

42. groundpounder95 says: Jul 17, 2014 6:11 AM

I had a friend with Hugh that night. Hugh was plastered and acting out of control. Hugh is all about Hugh, always has been that way. Everybody that was hanging with Hugh that night tried to get him to go back to his room and sleep. He I insisted acting a fool.

43. tangovader says: Jul 17, 2014 2:20 PM

Audio or it didn’t happen

44. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jul 17, 2014 2:39 PM

hugh douglas is an idiot who at one time had the ability to play football at a high level.

when your rap sheet has multiple priors for the same thing, its much harder to blame the victim (esp. one with a thousand witnesses)…..

45. 1phillyphan says: Jul 18, 2014 2:03 PM

Even if you dislike Hugh, the story he says makes sense. Any man who acts like Smith deserved a reply back like Hugh gave. I’m also sure there were phone records proving that Hugh tried to squash the problem. So you just know Smith used that as Hugh threatening him. The only problem I have, is why didn’t Hugh whoop his butt after he was fired? The T.O. story is a lie though. They did come to blows. The most honest person on the Eagles at the time who always gave you the “real story’ behins the scenes was Brian Dawkins. Who said Hugh followed TO to the elevater and then as the dorr was closing, punched him in the face. Which at the time made Hugh a cult hero in Philly being how TO was hated by that point.