Bears take the No. 12 spot in PFT’s preseason power rankings

Chicago Bears v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getty Images

The Bears check in at No. 12 in PFT’s power rankings, which places them seventh in the NFC and second in their division in our preseason assessment of the NFL’s 32 teams.

Chicago hasn’t made the postseason since 2010, when it captured the NFC North, defeated Seattle in the divisional round and fell to Green Bay with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. Overall, the Bears have made the playoffs just five times in the previous 20 seasons, with their 1994, 2001, 2005 and 2006 clubs also qualifying for postseason play.

So let’s get to the poll question: do the Bears get back to the playoffs this season? Or will they again be left to watch the 12-team tournament on TV like the rest of us? The comments and poll are open; have at it.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Bears take the No. 12 spot in PFT’s preseason power rankings”
  1. banlarson says: Jul 17, 2014 9:06 AM

Pretty optimistic considering their aging, talent starved defense.

2. holleywood9 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:09 AM

With a healthy defense they will be a tough team to beat. If they have the injuries they had last year they will finish in the same spot

3. bassplucker says: Jul 17, 2014 9:12 AM

Only one team will go to the playoffs from the NFC North so this entire question hinges on if the Bears can win the division. They were 3-3 in division play last year and actually, within a miracle play of going 2-4. That has to get much better, otherwise Trestman will be carrying a playoff 0-fer into his 3rd season.

4. mdpickles says: Jul 17, 2014 9:14 AM

Right. A team that lost 54-11 to the #13 ranked team. Makes total sense.

5. parasolmonster says: Jul 17, 2014 9:28 AM

How are they ranked higher than the Eagles?

6. crapsandviche says: Jul 17, 2014 9:29 AM

Pretty funny they’re ranked so high mainly because of the performance from Josh McCown….

7. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jul 17, 2014 9:37 AM

I think the bears are good at 12. But look out for the vikings, theyre going to surprise us i think. GO PACK!!

8. hammerhead5573 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:47 AM

I take these rankings with a grain of salt. I’m a lifetime Bears fan and this ranking seems a bit high. If Alshon gets hurt and loses significant time it will be a big blow. The def has way too much to prove to undo last years disaster. I know they were banged up but even before the injuries, they were sketchy. Here’s the thing though, with all the problems the Bears and Packers had last year with injuries, the Vikes and Lions could do nothing to prove they were worthy of being division champs. This is a interesting division to say the least.

9. bigpoppa5501 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:06 AM

Very good team on the offensive side, defensively…well, not so much. Probably ranked a little high.

Will still be part of a two team race in the division.

10. jjackwagon says: Jul 17, 2014 10:10 AM

This team is closer to 22 than 12.

11. pete2112 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:24 AM

Maybe it’s the pain pills I’m currently on for a broken bone, but I’m very optimistic about this team and it’s playoff chances this season.

I think the team did a great job in the draft to aid in the rebuilding of their defense and I feel the offense is going to click even more this season with have a season in the books already with the Trestman’s system in place. Yes, Green Bay is still the team to beat in the NFC North, but I really feel the margin has closed, despite everyone pretty much writing the Bears off already.

I think the big if is what they can get out of Cutler. He’s the key to this whole thing, in my opinion. I do believe Trestman has changed Cutler into a better QB and I think he’s the one coach that can harness what he’s shown flashes of in the past, so I’m hoping this will be the difference maker.

I think this ranking is irrelevant. You need to play the season and see what happens. Injuries can change the entire season so you just never know.

12. joebuckiscreepy says: Jul 17, 2014 10:37 AM

54-11.

13. somethinghappeninghere says: Jul 17, 2014 10:51 AM

Are you kidding me, Florio? the Bears had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year and you rank them 12 (meaning playoffs) with an 8-8 record while you rank one of the top pass ranked defenses (Miami) that went 8-8 with a rank of 31! But I forgot…Cutler is light years ahead of Tannehill…right! Sure he is! Only think better about Cutler is he’s a much bigger crybaby! (He and Jonathan Martin would definitely go well together!)

14. johnnylujack says: Jul 17, 2014 10:59 AM

Basically they’re at the top of the middle third. makes sense. Lots of ‘if-thens’ with this team, particularly in terms of new personnel. Depending on how some of these pan out, and how their luck runs with injuries, they could land almost anywhere, but are a pretty good bet to contend for the playoffs.

15. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 17, 2014 11:02 AM

Bears should have been 13 and Eagles 12.

16. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 17, 2014 11:41 AM

Too high. Without McCown leading the charge and playing at a level the Bears haven’t seen for decades, this team goes right in the tank if Cutler is at the helm all 16 games.

17. hozay05 says: Jul 17, 2014 11:47 AM

I think lil higher since were gonna win the north

18. hierosouls says: Jul 17, 2014 11:56 AM

McCown didn’t go undefeated in his starts. He was 3-2 he played good but most of the time he just threw it up to monster receivers just like jay did. This is jays second year in the system with all 5 starters on the o-line coming back. He’ll be better. Bear down!!!

19. dsimo says: Jul 17, 2014 11:59 AM

As a Vikings fan, it’s obvious to me that the Bears will have a much better team than the Packers this year. Green Bay is slipping and the Bears will be much better, taking the division crown from them this year with the help of Jared Allen and all his sacks of #12.

20. crazycane says: Jul 17, 2014 12:00 PM

With the worst defense in franchise history and still went 8-8 while one play away from winning the division. Give this team a half way decent defense, like they have meow, and they’ll be 11-5.

THERE’S A REASON WHY VEGAS HAS THE BEARS AT #6 WITH ODDS.

21. robert831 says: Jul 17, 2014 12:03 PM

Bears likely win the division, and the Vikings will get a wild card. Packers will take a big step back and the Lions are well the Lions.

22. deweyaxewound says: Jul 17, 2014 12:22 PM

If they can bring that defense back to even a shadow of its former ability – while maintaining their current offensive awesomeness – they will be super dangerous.

In fact, mark my words – no, mark TRESTMAN my words: Barring another year of catastrophic injury, Bears will straight up own that division.

Look how they focused on and rebuilt the o-line last year…(mixing veteran FA’s and rookie draft picks), and now they’ve done the same for the d-line this year. Expect to see the Chicago D of old – but this time with an offense to match.

23. hyzers says: Jul 17, 2014 12:30 PM

The Lions will sweep them again.

24. garrison1981 says: Jul 17, 2014 1:02 PM

I love the knowledge-less fans that claim only Bears n Pack had injuries! Do some research dummy! Lions were banged up as well. Calvin player injured all season, Burelson went down, Reggie got hurt, the offensive line went down with rookies stepping in, Houston went down, out Saftey didn’t even practice with team cause of injuries! So your assumption that Lions should have walked away but choked is pretty inaccurate and completely bias to being a Chiacgo or GB fan with no know football knowledge of anything but your own team!

25. flannlv says: Jul 17, 2014 1:47 PM

Bears might be #6 in Vegas, but that is only due to the fact the books know the Bears fans will bet on them no matter what. So, if on the off chance the Bears are decent the books don’t have exposure.

26. pete2112 says: Jul 17, 2014 2:25 PM

I’m tired of this McCown vs. Cutler thing. McCown played great last season and it’s a great story, but for those who think he’s a more talented QB than Cutler, you’re just not correct and I don’t mean any disrespect towards McCown by this. As a Bears fan, last season was so exciting to see a back up come in and do what he did and I wish McCown all the best in Tampa.

Under Trestman, Cutler showed the talent he has and if he can stay healthy and get a full season to work with all of their explosive offensive weapons, I think we’ll see just how much he can do. I know Cutler has been somewhat of an enigma most of his career and he can be tough to figure out at times. He’s been blessed with all of the skills to be a great QB but just hasn’t been able to put all of it together, which is why I’m hopeful now with Trestman there to guide him we’ll see all of this come to fruition, hopefully.

Honestly, this has become a very tough division. Between Green Bay, Detroit and Chicago, anything can happen. I’m not going to throw Minnesota in there yet, but I’m sure in a couple seasons we could easily be talking about them too. I think Detroit has had the pieces in place for a few seasons now and just haven’t been able to capitalize on their talent, but I think Schwartz had a lot to do with their late season collapses, so it should be interesting to see how everything turns out.

27. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 17, 2014 2:28 PM

In the NFC, the West will have a wild card team and the East will not.

Much will depend on injuries as to whether the South or North have the other wild card team.

The Bears are good enough to make the playoffs but are not a Super Bowl contender at this point (again injuries around the league can change that).

Never ever underestimate the Bears.

28. skolnolombardilovers says: Jul 17, 2014 2:31 PM

dsimo says:
    Jul 17, 2014 11:59 AM

Says it all right there Vikings Fan SKOLOL
    The Vikes will win the Superbowl right ?
    There are 3 teams in the NFC North that can win it then there is the Vikes.
    As for injuries if the Packers can avoid the bug this year …watch out The Packers have been in the top three in injuries in the last 3 years

How many teams in the NFL that lost it’s starting QB Receivers TE injured Hell they started a rookie LT that was taken in the 4th round they still Ranked 3rd in offense
    How good would the Broncos be the 49 ers the Seahawks etc etc etc with those kind of losses?

29. sprtsfan1 says: Jul 17, 2014 3:01 PM

I think the Bears will surprise a lot of people this year. The offense will be better than they were in their first year in a new system which is scary and the players they added on defense made them better. As long as they stay healthy I think we’ll be hearing a lot of Packer fans touting about how well Green Bay has done in the past rather than this season. Bears take the NFC North this year.

30. furny47 says: Jul 17, 2014 3:09 PM

Last year Chicago’s defense was terrible. However, at least half of the defensive positions on the Bears defense will be different from last season, including 3 out of 4 defensive linemen, at least 1 LB, at least 1 Safety, and the nickel CB. Last year’s Defensive Ends grades against the run looked like this: Peppers -2.7, Bass -2.0, Wootton -0.1, McClellin -19.2. This year’s Defensive Ends grades against the run look like this: Allen +0.1, Young +5.1, Houston +14.9. Peppers, Bass, Wootton, & McClellin combined for 14 sacks and 64 QB hurries last season. Allen, Young, and Houston combined for 23 sacks and 123 QB hurries. It’s safe to say that Chicago’s defense will be greatly improved against the run AND rushing the passer.

Combine that with the #2 scoring offense in the NFL returning all 11 starters, and that’s why they’re ranked #12.

31. iowahbr says: Jul 17, 2014 4:06 PM

far too reasonable that the Bears should make the play-offs given their offense. therefore I would put their chances at 10% given the Bears ability to disappoint their fans.

32. mazenblue says: Jul 17, 2014 7:42 PM

So when the Lions beat you twice again, go ahead and claim 12th best all you want. lol

33. jpat2424 says: Jul 17, 2014 8:23 PM

Daaaaa Super Bowl my friends !!

34. calvinthegreat81 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:30 PM

Bearshaterseverywhere the coolest guy on here. He is so intelligent and has the best posts I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what this site would do without all his insight regarding the last place bears. Keep up the solid reporting!

Lions 12-4
    Packers 10-6
    Vikings 7-9
    Bears 5-11

35. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says: Jul 20, 2014 9:45 PM

Lions 12-4
    Packers 10-6
    Vikings 7-9
    Bears 5-11

___________________________________

Dude you’re on a bad rage trip. Who the hell is bearshaterseverywhere? A troll? You need to relax calvin, this a blog….grow up dude.

The Lions at 12-4 with Caldwell is a good laugh though, I’ll give you that.