Brian Hoyer fully cleared for training camp

Cincinnati Bengals v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

If Johnny Manziel is to win the starting quarterback job for the Cleveland Browns, he’ll have to beat out a fully healthy Brian Hoyer.

According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Hoyer said Thursday he has been cleared for full participation in training camp after suffering a torn ACL last October.

“[I’ll be] practicing full go, so it’s exciting for me,” Hoyer said. “It’s something I’ve worked really hard to get back to, and I’m just looking forward to getting going.

“It feels good to know that I put the work in and now it’s time to go. You don’t think about it. You just go out and play football.”

Hoyer was mostly held out of full team drills during mini-camp in June. He was able to participate in individual drills and 7-on-7 drills, but was limited from full team drills in order to make sure no one accidentally ran into his recovering knee.

Hoyer took over the Browns starting job from Brandon Weeden in September and started three games before injuring his knee and landing on injured reserve. Cleveland won all three games Hoyer started, though Hoyer was injured early in the Browns 37-24 win over the Buffalo Bills in Week 5.

The Browns invested a first-round pick on Manziel in May and he appears to be the future at quarterback in Cleveland.

Now healthy, Hoyer will be able to put his best foot forward toward keeping Manziel behind him on the depth chart for the start of the regular season.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Brian Hoyer fully cleared for training camp”
  1. minnesotablizzard says: Jul 17, 2014 11:23 PM

Hoyer is hungry, watch him show up to training camp and be light years ahead of Johnny Vegas Football. He’s going to win the veterans in the locker room over.

2. vaughnjoe says: Jul 17, 2014 11:27 PM

Brian Hoyer, please take over that team so we dont have to hear about Manzeil all year…

3. Fantasy Football Rankings says: Jul 17, 2014 11:44 PM

Johnny Football is the future. Hoyer is a rental car.

4. gayforbrady says: Jul 17, 2014 11:49 PM

Love Brian hoyer.

Also a fan of Johnny football.

Cleveland is the new San Diego. They got rid of Drew Brees and made the wrong choice.

Great story line to watch. …

As well as the fall of RG3.
    As well as the future conviction of kapernick.
    As well as geno smith getting demoted to 3rd string.
    As well as manning getting a healthy dose of Denver winter this year.

5. dudermcrbohan says: Jul 18, 2014 12:01 AM

Brian Hoyer headline, yet the first words are about Johnny Eightball. Very nice.

I really don’t understand the media obsession with this guy. can someone explain it please?

6. realmenwearstripes says: Jul 18, 2014 12:36 AM

It’s really just a contest to see who wants to be a sack lunch for Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and Domata Peko.

7. qdog112 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:39 AM

The real question is just how bad Manziel has to be in camp for Halsam to NOT demand he be the starter?

Everyone must realize now that Foster and Pettine didn’t want Johnny Jumball. But the guy who writes the checks (and his homeless pal) get the last call.

Hoyer will need to be twice as good to be QB1 in CLE or they will roll the dice with Johnny Slot-machine.

8. herrcules13 says: Jul 18, 2014 1:00 AM

vaughnjoe: you’ll hear about Johnny Manziel all year, regardless…

9. softhelmet says: Jul 18, 2014 1:09 AM

This could get really funny!

10. edelmanfanclub says: Jul 18, 2014 2:16 AM

I may be wrong, and JM may start week 1. Yet, I feel this competition wont be close. Hoyer will get first team reps and won’t let go of it going into the Regular Season. He’s not losing the job until the Browns are out of contention.

11. dawgpound2009 says: Jul 18, 2014 2:27 AM

Boyer is probably a nice back-up QB at best. Thigpen is not going to light the world on fire. Johnny Manxiel is a failure of epic proportions waiting to happen .See you at 2015 NFL draft.

12. mitchitized says: Jul 18, 2014 2:32 AM

I cannot tell you why I like Brian Hoyer, I just do. When my Steelers picked him up I thought it was a great move, but it was only temporary.

Glad to see him getting a shot, even if he has a 1st round pick looking over his shoulder. I know he’s going to give this shot everything he’s got, and I wish him well.

13. denverdude7 says: Jul 18, 2014 3:49 AM

The futures so bright I gotta wear…

Oh wait… never mind

14. clashpoint says: Jul 18, 2014 5:25 AM

The Browns have a much better chance to win with Hoyer at qb than with that stooge Manziel.

15. rcotner says: Jul 18, 2014 5:26 AM

Any QB>Johnny ‘Bust’ Manziel

16. clbrwns says: Jul 18, 2014 5:27 AM

Browns fan here. Go Bryan. Keep the mouth of the south on the bench please.

17. thepittsburghkid says: Jul 18, 2014 6:57 AM

Had the Steelers not had BR, Hoyer would be playing here. The kid is a talent and it’s just a matter of time before he’s a household name in Cleveland. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel the JM pick was a wasted pick.

18. jerruhjones says: Jul 18, 2014 7:30 AM

Hoyer is the starter, he already earned it. Let JF carry a clip board and learn some humility.

This coming from a lifelong Browns fan.

19. explosionsauce says: Jul 18, 2014 8:21 AM

Bryan Hoyer is basically Shaun Hill

20. kosarkid says: Jul 18, 2014 8:21 AM

In other news, Johnny Football is entering training camp with a case of Bieber fever.

21. clownsfan says: Jul 18, 2014 8:41 AM

I don’t care who starts as long as it’s the best guy available. My thinking Johnny shows up & balls out. Who knows? All I do know a that of Johnny can’t beat out an undrafted, journeyman QB W/4 career starts & 1 good leg then we’re lookin at 2 Top 10 picks in the 2015 draft.

22. fordmandalay says: Jul 18, 2014 8:51 AM

Hoyer’s career history; he played 3 games for the Browns last year where he didn’t completely suck, which was such an amazing thing to see for Cleveland fans they’ve blown him up into the second coming of Otto Graham. ‘The Whiz’ was also a fan of his – which really should be all you need to know.

23. brownoholic says: Jul 18, 2014 10:35 AM

Please please PLEASE let Hoyer take the job & keep it all season.

Manziel needs to SIT. And any talk of HAVING to start a first round QB is wasted on me. SIT SIT SIT . . .

24. swannyfootball says: Jul 18, 2014 10:43 AM

I’m a fan of both qb’s. I hope hoyer wins the job out of camp. If he plays well and stays healthy he’ll keep the job this season but Johnny will be nipping at his heels. I would like to see Johnny hold a clipboard and learn a bit.

GOOOOO Browns!!!!!!!!

25. indians4evr says: Jul 18, 2014 10:59 AM

Go Hoyer!! I’m all in!

The sad thing with the media is that Hoyer could go ahead and throw 22 TD’s and one intercept and the media would scream for Johnny whatsaplaybook Football. It is the media not the players calling for Johnny Bust.

26. steelerben says: Jul 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Hoyer’s best case scenario is to play really well this season with Johnny holding a clip board. He should be able to play his way into a real contract like McCown did last year with Chicago.

Everyone knows that Manziel is the future for Cleveland. Hopefully Hoyer gets a shot at making a name for himself before being cast aside.

27. drfeelyouup says: Jul 18, 2014 1:30 PM

Hoyer will be hurt by midseason. Then it’s Johnny Football time.

28. kimbo71006 says: Jul 18, 2014 4:57 PM

Hoyer should complete for the position. He ONLY won three games last year people, so what.

You put JF in for the pre-season and see how he does. If he blows it out of the water, and I suspect he will show people he has a LOT more than people think he does, then he’s the starter.

If not, then you start Hoyer regular season until he screws up, then you put in JF again.

Remember…the owner of the Browns drafted him for a reason and I don’t believe that is to sit on the bench or hold a clipboard.

29. supermanwearsbrownandorange says: Jul 18, 2014 10:28 PM

Brian Hoyer will start in Pittsburgh.

30. bobtxbrowns says: Jul 19, 2014 12:57 AM

Hey…I don’t care IF Brian Hoyer is 100% healthy…it’s a non-issue! Hoyer has played in ONLY (6) NFL games during his (6) NFL year career. He’s been a back-up QB at 3 other NFL teams. IF Hoyer is so fantastic…please explain to me WHY those other teams traded him!

You fans who doubt or are hating on Manziel need to get over it……Johnny Manziel will be the starting QB for the Browns. The Browns’ ONLY chance this year is if Manziel gets the start…..all the coaches know this.

If you have ANY doubts about Manziel’s abilities….go on-line and watch his Texas A&M 2012 & 2013 highlights…and prepared to be AMAZED. Even Missouri QB Maty Mauk (a fantastic young QB) stated the other day that he believes Johnny Manziel is the BEST player to every play college football. Many GREAT NFL quarterbacks have also stated how talented they believe Manziel is….Brett Farve, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Joe Namath, Doug Flutie…to name only a few. And that’s saying a lot about Manziel…and I know, Manziel has yet to play in the NFL. But, he made a seamless transition from high school to Texas A&M…winning the Heisman Trophy his very 1st year playing QB in college.

When you compare Manziel’s & Hoyer’s college stats (and highlight film)…..there’s just no comparison. Hoyer is destined to always be an NFL back-up QB…….where Johnny Manziel is destined for NFL Greatness. I mean, if you’re NAMED after a sport like JM is….you BETTER be GREAT…..and he is.

I was a Dallas Cowboy fan for over 35 yrs…not anymore. QB Tony Romo has won only 1 of 2 NFL playoff games in his 8 yrs. as the Cowboy starting QB…..awful. My NEW NFL team is now the Cleveland Browns! I already have purchased a “Johnny Football” Cleveland Brown jersey.

GO BROWNS…..finally, a Winning QB has arrived in Cleveland, Ohio!!!

31. millikensteeler says: Jul 19, 2014 5:46 PM

Fantasy Football Rankings

Johhny bust isnt the future of anything and anyone with football acumen can see he is a bust in waiting.

You pass up Watkins AND Bridgewater for Johnny bust? Are you freaking kidding me when you know Gordon had issues and Watkins is right there for the taking? Genius I say, Genius!

32. millikensteeler says: Jul 19, 2014 5:53 PM

bobtxbrowns

College and the pro’s are two different things. Are you serious pointing out what he did in college as if that means anything in the pro’s?

Ever heard of Couch,Weurffel,Leinart,Russell,Marinovich,Mirer,Leaf
    Carr,Smith,Klingler etc. Should I name more?

On top of that, this guy has serious maturity issues. If you think passing on Sammy Watkins when the Browns KNEW Gordon had issues and Bridgewater also…for this guy? 205lbs dripping wet and you think he is gonna a run around against faster and bigger players and not get hurt?

Time to put up or shut up for Johnny bust.