Sunday Ticket now available without a satellite dish, with limitations

DirecTV Getty Images

As more and more TV is consumed via the Internet, more and more fans have craved the opportunity to consume DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket through their computers, phones, and laptops without first having to purchase and install a satellite dish.

At a time when some believe AT&T’s pending acquisition of DirecTV will pave the way for the general availability of an online-only subscription to the Sunday Ticket service, DirecTV has announced that NFL Sunday Ticket is now available without a satellite dish, in limited situations.

Specifically, live, out-of-market NFL games can be streamed without a DirecTV subscription if:  (1) the customer lives in New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco; (2) the customer lives in an apartment building where DirecTV is not available; or (3) the customer attends the University of Washington, Texas at Austin, USC, Michigan-Ann Arbor, Florida, Colorado at Boulder, Alabama, Syracuse, Ohio State, or Harvard.

The games can be streamed on certain Windows PCs and Apples computers, certain iPhones, iPads, iPod touch, Android devices, Kindle devices, Playstation 3 and 4, and Xbox One.

It applies only for Sunday afternoon games played out of the market where the customer resides, and it obviously doesn’t encompass prime-time games like NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

Which returns Thursday night, September 4, as the defending NFL champion Seahawks host the Packers.  Check your local listings.

Now maybe I won’t get in too much trouble for writing a post about DirecTV.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Sunday Ticket now available without a satellite dish, with limitations”
  1. motobus says: Jul 17, 2014 8:12 AM

It’s been available via ps3 for years now

2. hansenbrothers says: Jul 17, 2014 8:17 AM

Dude, I didn’t notice those limitations. Lame!!

3. raiderufan says: Jul 17, 2014 8:20 AM

Or do 30 seconds of leg work, find a stream online and keep your money.

4. ctiggs says: Jul 17, 2014 8:31 AM

First off it is THE Ohio State, and second off #GOniners #NobodycanpossiblyhaveitbetterthanUS

5. wiitrainingcamp says: Jul 17, 2014 8:36 AM

An online option for users who can’t get DirecTV has existed for several years, (I’ve had it the past two seasons) but DirectTV doesn’t advertise it so few know about it.

This looks like a better deal because it has different tiers & pricing structure depending on features and what devices you want to use.

6. andrewluck12 says: Jul 17, 2014 8:39 AM

The nfl should just make an app allowing you to stream ANY game live regardless of your location and cable/satellite/wireless provider. Charge 15 bucks a month to use it.

7. packerbackernj says: Jul 17, 2014 8:43 AM

Sell out.

8. waldoampere says: Jul 17, 2014 8:46 AM

Wow, do you also have to be a certain height and weight to get it?

9. dsimo says: Jul 17, 2014 8:47 AM

The most important bit of news I got from this article is that the Packers will be starting the season with a loss.

10. Jason Bushey says: Jul 17, 2014 8:50 AM

Soooo…is this free?

11. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 17, 2014 8:54 AM

when will we be able to select what team we want to watch and just get THAT package? :)

The rest I can just watch locally

12. imthedudedude says: Jul 17, 2014 8:56 AM

Celebrate good times cmon!!!!

13. rg3sus says: Jul 17, 2014 9:00 AM

Well that’s super random. The other 99% of us will continue to feel left out and wish we too could get Sunday Ticket without an awful dish

14. godofwine330 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:07 AM

I’m only mad that I have to pay for the $60 package in order to keep NFL Network when that is all I watch. That sucks. I love Sunday Ticket, though.

15. mikea311 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:08 AM

or you just know someone with the ticket and you get their password…

16. smackingfools says: Jul 17, 2014 9:10 AM

Still gonna get blacked out. What fun is that? I love how the console price cost more. Makes me consider not even getting it. Tired of these money hungry corporations.

17. lionswinsuperbowl says: Jul 17, 2014 9:11 AM

Whenever the deal the NFL has with DirectTV is up for these out of market games they will get out bid by Comcast for the rights.

I guaransheed it.

18. joejacks says: Jul 17, 2014 9:12 AM

The monopoly needs to end!

19. coachbeck says: Jul 17, 2014 9:16 AM

You forgot social security number must end in a prime number

20. eaglesw00t says: Jul 17, 2014 9:20 AM

Wow…make a few more “if” statements in there…

If youre going to do it, just do it.

21. trollhammer20 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:36 AM

You must also sign a document that surrenders your soul to Rupert Murdoch (owner of DirecTV) upon your death.

22. gmsalpha says: Jul 17, 2014 9:44 AM

Honestly, you can pay $5/mo for Red Zone as a Verizon Wireless customer, and $65 or so for a full year of NFL Game Rewind.

So Red Zone your Sundays away, and the rest of the week, watch the original broadcast of any and every game you want, including your local market team(s).

I don’t know how you can go wrong with that, as it’s less than $100 in total, and you don’t need cable/satellite at all.

23. valentino8100 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:46 AM

I’m absolutely elated for all 7 of those people, congrats.

24. titansbro says: Jul 17, 2014 9:57 AM

I’m strongly considering buying a Slingbox & attaching it to my parents TV in Nashville so I can get the local broadcasts of the Titans games where I live now. Even if I pay the monthly fee for them to get an extra HD cable box, & buy the Slingbox, I still come out cheaper than getting Sunday ticket. I’ve seen some people on the net say they do this & it works great. Or… ORRR… I could ask my buddy who has Sunday ticket to attach it to his box. How bout that?

25. titansbro says: Jul 17, 2014 10:03 AM

————————————————————–

I tried NFL Rewind, but honestly I never used it. Once I knew the outcome of the game I just didn’t care to go back & watch it. So it could work for some folks, but I certainly wasted my money on it.

Red Zone is cool though, but sometimes I just want to watch my team play.

26. Patskrieg dot com says: Jul 17, 2014 10:09 AM

I’ll go back to praying for the day when the NFL creates a streaming pay service for live viewing of all their games. I’d cancel cable in a heartbeat. The blubbering tears of Comcast watching their empire crumble and apologizing for decades of price gouging and disrespect would be heavenly.

27. Patskrieg dot com says: Jul 17, 2014 10:13 AM

Update: I just checked out the pricing for this. Tiers ranging from $329/mo to $199/mo. Absolutely no one can afford this. Forget it everyone we’re back to square one.

28. idpfantasyfootball says: Jul 17, 2014 10:25 AM

ummm.. what is the reasoning behind #1 and #3?

29. nyking1963 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:34 AM

So we can no longer get it by buying the Madden game? That’s BS
    I don’t live in an apartment or have direct tv…
    The pirated feeds are not the same. I last used them a couple of years ago and the sites would get shut down mid game.

30. ncphinsfan says: Jul 17, 2014 11:13 AM

Big Deal! This is pretty much the way it has always been. If you could prove to DirecTV that you do not have access, then they give you the right to give them $200 to watch on a Mobile device or Game Console. This is wonderful news for about 2% of the population. Why is this being touted as something new and groundbreaking? I guess I will continue to go to Bars and support local business because I will never get a crappy overpriced Dish with horrible customer service. Not that Cable is any better, but an essential for Internet. Too bad, many of us think the $200 is steep, but flying to Miami, a Hotel, Food Parking, Tickets, etc. for one Game is about the price of a decade of Sunday Ticket.

31. csbanter says: Jul 17, 2014 11:29 AM

Wassup NFL family, some of you are funny. How much football can you consume in one day ? In NYC we get the fox game (giants) CBS game(jets) Football Night(NBC) ESPN,NFL network, MNF somehow not watching Sunday Ticket is not the end all….. Thank goodness the NFL is back!!!!!

32. rcali says: Jul 17, 2014 11:32 AM

NFL.com has great quality for their streaming Pre-season package compared to the streamed version from DirecTv. Wish the two could work together and figure it out. Had the streamed DirecTV version for the past few years and it’s pretty rough and never works right the first week and you can never get through to customer service. That being said, I wouldn’t expect any less from DirecTV and that is why I don’t have it.

33. 1phd says: Jul 17, 2014 12:27 PM

I purchased the ‘great quality’ NFL preseason pkg last year. Every single game was blacked out to me. When I called for a refund of my $20 they told me I had to made the claim with 7 days of the preseason start. Talk about a ‘Catch 22′ – you don’t find out until weeks in that all the games are blacked out but guess what, by then it’s too late to get a refund sucker.

34. patsfan15 says: Jul 17, 2014 1:10 PM

PS3 option wasn’t available last year.

35. jayovalentine says: Sep 20, 2014 11:57 PM

They have had the PS3 option for about 3 years I believe. During the 1st 4-6 weeks, the feed is crappy !!! After weeks of cussing and carrying on with customer service, they will send out a patch to download. Wasted my $ again this year when you could be looking at first row sports for free…. >:-(