Troy Aikman was surprised Jerry Jones didn’t take Johnny Manziel

Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Troy Aikman, as it turns out, is just like the rest of us.

He was surprised Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could resist his own urge to draft Johnny Manziel too.

“I thought there was a real good chance if he fell to the Cowboys’ pick that he would take him,” Aikman said, via Travis Brown of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I understand why they didn’t. It would have certainly added a lot of excitement around here, but I don’t think it would have been best for the club, certainly not in the short term. There’s a lot of other needs, as we saw last year, that this team has, so it was probably the right thing not taking him, but I was a little surprised.

“I think that had to have been a difficult decision for Jerry.”

Aikman said he expects Manziel to be successful — with the big provision — if he stays focused on his job.

“I think when the time comes for him to get serious about football and put in the time, I’m confident he’ll do that,” Aikman said. “He’s going to have to do that if he’s going to be successful. There’s no shortcuts in this league to becoming a great player. Cleveland has invested a lot in him and expects a lot from him, and I’m sure he recognizes that.”

“He likes to have a good time, I know that, but if he can stay focused on football and commit himself, which is what it’s going to require, I think he has a chance to be really good.”

Aikman knows all about the power of the star, particularly since he helped create it, so it’s no surprise that he was as surprised as we were that Manziel wasn’t a Cowboy today.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Troy Aikman was surprised Jerry Jones didn’t take Johnny Manziel”
  1. joeflaccoallday says: Jul 17, 2014 8:44 AM

Jerry still gonna regret that

2. lowdownmofo says: Jul 17, 2014 8:56 AM

Troy Aikman’s then proceeded to eat his usual breakfast of plain toast & motor oil.

3. godofwine330 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:05 AM

I wish he had taken Manziel. If he had then the Browns would have taken a REAL quarterback in Bridgewater and not the “playground” quarterback they did with their next pick. The last time my team needed a QB and there was a popular “playground” QB that I was scared they’d take, the Broncos jumped up and took him (Tebow) and I rejoiced. I knew he was on their radar because so often they go for popularity rather than effectiveness. They did this time, I hope I’m wrong about Party Manziel, but I don’t think I am.

4. jfk69 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:10 AM

With Dez and his issues,Jones didn’t want to double down.
    It would have been great theater and Romo is only one good hit away from retirement.
    Sorry Jerry…You are no Steinbrenner. Even taking into account Jerry’s booze addled brain. You will never win a Super Bowl again without a marquee QB. I DON’T CARE HOW MANY GREAT PLAYERS YOU DRAFT.

5. mrfrostyj says: Jul 17, 2014 9:21 AM

6. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Jul 17, 2014 9:38 AM

Has anyone seen Romo’s contract? It would have been beyond stupid for them to draft Manziel.

7. cmehustle says: Jul 17, 2014 9:44 AM

The cowgirls actually made a smart decision. Yes I too am very suprised…

8. 700levelvet says: Jul 17, 2014 10:02 AM

Every decision since Switzer won a Super Bowl with Jimmy Johnson’s has been wrong… It will never ever change for … “The. Most mediocre franchise in sports”…

9. kmartin173 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:06 AM

Why would they need Manziel, Romo has at least 3 Super Bowls left in him.

10. jfk69 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:13 AM

Yep… I have seen Romo’s contract. Now ask yourself who is the idiot that gave it to him. Yep..The same idiot that couldn’t let Jimmie Johnson get a little more press for winning those Super Bowls. They had a dynasty in the making. But for Jerry’s ego.

11. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 17, 2014 10:19 AM

why? did Troy want him to introduce him to Bieber.. they do seem like they would hit it off

12. jjackwagon says: Jul 17, 2014 10:23 AM

Jerruh still doesn’t know that he didn’t take Manziel.

13. shaggyjeff says: Jul 17, 2014 10:37 AM

Johnny 8 ball will be a bust …good move Jerrah

14. dragonflypack says: Jul 17, 2014 10:40 AM

Sometime down the road everyone will be saying “the Cowboys could have drafted Johnny Football and they passed. What a bunch of morons”.

Romo’s contract had nothing to do with it. The rookie pay scale is low, easily affordable. I don’t believe that argument holds any weight.

15. mogogo1 says: Jul 17, 2014 10:55 AM

You know your reputation is lousy when people are surprised you didn’t make a huge blunder.

16. athwartships says: Jul 17, 2014 10:57 AM

How is anyone shocked anymore that JJ does what he does?

I am not entirely convinced he cares about a winning season so long as he continues to get rich off the brand and can push people around like a chemically imbalanced child on the playground.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 17, 2014 11:06 AM

Jerry wanted to pull the trigger on Johnny Football which would have been a marketing dream for the organization. However he married Romo with that big contract last year and left himself few options.

Then Jerry talked like they didn’t need the Manziel drama as if that has ever been a factor before. With Orton not showing up and Romo’s bad back, Jerry messed up passing on J.F.

18. voiceofreasonsays says: Jul 17, 2014 11:11 AM

“Jones did the right thing as Manziel in Dallas would have the same issues that RGIII had in Washington and they have enough of the power struggle issues as is between Romo and the teams 60 offensive coordinators (61, sorry I forgot Weeden). Cleveland might be the only QB needy team in the NFL where Johnny Football wouldn’t come in And be allowed to take over without proving himself since Browns fans prefer the hometown kid Hoyer (bandwagon jumping fans excluded of course).”

Heck, at least RGIII never got drunk and partied with Justin Bieber. What as sad, sad, Browns organization. Wasted a pick on Johnny 8-Ball when they had Hoyer.

19. calicowboysfan86 says: Jul 17, 2014 11:24 AM

I’m glad he didn’t.

20. granadafan says: Jul 17, 2014 11:24 AM

Jerry wouldn’t allow anyone with a bigger ego than himself on the team. That’s why Manziel wasn’t picked.

21. sportsnut101 says: Jul 17, 2014 11:43 AM

My thing is take johnny n sit him behind romo for 2 yrs whay was so hard about that
    Romo contract more able to cut in yr 3

22. Ed Bandell says: Jul 17, 2014 11:46 AM

“Troy Aikman, as it turns out, is just like the rest of us.”

Are you sure? I thought he was some sort of cyborg.

23. drfeelyouup says: Jul 17, 2014 11:51 AM

Best running back I’ve seen since Joe Montana

24. weepingjebus says: Jul 17, 2014 2:07 PM

Don’t worry, Jerry can still pick him up for $50 million and 3 first round picks after he crashes and burns with the Browns.

25. BringBackTheFlex says: Jul 17, 2014 2:43 PM

dragonflypack says: “Tony Romo is one snap away from suffering a career ending injury. I hope it doesn’t happen, but it could. Who’s the back up?”

Quick, who’s Brady’s backup? Who’s Manning’s backup? Who’s Brees backup? You don’t know without looking it up.

I hate these “He’s just one hit from a career ending injury” posts. EVERYONE IN THE NFL is one hit from a career ending injury.

26. BringBackTheFlex says: Jul 17, 2014 2:45 PM

Manziel can’t past his first two reads. He’s got happy feet and doesn’t have the smarts for an NFL QB, just like Griffin, Vick, and Kaepernick.

27. cowboysteve56 says: Jul 17, 2014 3:27 PM

Best move JJ made not selecting this kid.

28. trevhay713 says: Jul 17, 2014 3:53 PM

Guess San Francisco getting an unknown from Tampa to push Joe Montana named Steve Young or Aaron Rogers pushing Brett Favre or looking to the future didn’t work out for them either??? We didn’t get any draft picks for Demarcus Ware and just let him go free and clear. Whats clear is without Jimmy Johnson building a Super Bowl team the Cowboys have stunk under his tenure! One playoff game under Parcells is all we have gotten. Jones, doesn’t want to hurt Romo’s feelings of stability. If anything the kid would of had Romo start looking over his shoulder and quit smiling when he costs us crucial games at crucial moments. Never can figure you “stat” guys that bring up stats when the guy has cost us numerous seasons when the game was on the line!

29. simonator917 says: Jul 17, 2014 4:14 PM

Is it possible that with Jones’ Texas-sized ego he didn’t draft Johnny Football because he didn’t want to share the spotlight with a young charismatic quarterback? I wouldn’t put it past him.

I guess no one on the Cowboys can be a bigger name than the owner. I feel sorry for Dallas fans. Believe me, I know what it’s like when a storied sports team falls victim to the vagaries of a self-absorbed owner. I see it everyday with the Lakers here in Los Angeles.

30. dirtydriver069 says: Jul 17, 2014 4:16 PM

He should not be referred, as Jonny Football. More like Ryan Leaf Jr.

31. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 17, 2014 5:11 PM

Watch out Joe Buck there might be a budding bromance between Troy and Manziel. Watch out Johnny…. Joe isn’t gonna let you near his man without a fight.

32. jfk69 says: Jul 17, 2014 8:57 PM

On the other hand. The Browns are notorious for destroying young QB prospects. Jerry still might get his chance in two years. Can ROMO hold on..lol

33. dennisg40 says: Jul 17, 2014 9:48 PM

Jerry did the right thing when he came up with a trading czar this year and a man who knows football and coaching. Everything that was added to the Cowboys to choose from in training camp will be all things considered but things that are sorely needed will by the team.

Most of the people here running their mouths in this forum do not even know what the Cowboys as a team are doing for their club. So relax and go back and play in the sand box where you belong.

34. jaclyn1973 says: Jul 18, 2014 1:50 PM

Jerry was worried that he wouldnt get as much attention if Johnny Showboat was around. You know a team can only handle a certain amount of hot air and egotism. Jerry didnt want to share that with the kid.