Rex is confident Jets will get to the playoffs

Ryan AP

In early 2013, Jets coach Rex Ryan could have been looking for a new job.  Instead, he ended up getting a new boss.  Upon the arrival of G.M. John Idzik in New York, Ryan assumed the demeanor of a guy who sensed he could be on a short leash.

A year later, Ryan has a new contract but as a practical matter no more security than he had entering his first season with Idzik.  But Ryan has gotten sufficiently comfortable in his new situation to get back to being the guy he was during his first four years with the franchise.

Sort of.

In an interview with Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Ryan reflected on last year’s .500 outcome and aimed higher for 2014.

“I believe we’re better than that,” Ryan said.  “I believe we’re a lot better than that.  Eight and eight would be a hell of a disappointment for us.  I’m just telling you that I believe this team is on the cusp of doing some special things. . . .  I’m confident we will be a playoff team.”

Ryan nevertheless seems to be subtly laying the foundation for the eventual effort to persuade Idzik and owner Woody Johnson to bring Ryan back if the team doesn’t get to the playoffs.

Sort of.

“I think it’s a transition year, but we’re going to bring it to another level,” Ryan said.  “I know where I want this team to go and that’s where I expect this team to go.  So, you know, are we a better team? Dang right. . . . That may be a fact that we’re rebuilding this team, but by no means does that mean that I don’t expect to improve on where we were.”

“Transition year” and “rebuilding.”  Buzz words for “I shouldn’t be held accountable for failing to take this bunch of guys to the playoffs.”

Ryan nevertheless is willing to say that he’ll accomplish what many think he needs to accomplish in order to keep his job.  And it remains a far cry from Ryan’s former boasts that his team would win the Super Bowl.  He now explains that those predictions had more to do with the challenge he faced when taking the job.

“When I came in from Day One, this team was way different back then,” Ryan said. “This team just lost Brett Favre, a Hall of Fame quarterback. This team had that same moniker, ‘Same Old Jets.’  Well, I wanted everyone to know.  I wanted to make damn sure they knew that it wasn’t the Same Old Jets and it was never going to be the Same Old Jets as long as I was here.  And so I think that’s why I said what I said.  I wanted to make sure my team believed that I believed that we were going to win Super Bowls.”

For now, the Jets are much closer to being the Same Old Jets than Super Bowl contenders.  But a team can’t become a Super Bowl contender without getting to the playoffs, and Rex has no qualms about proclaiming that the Same Old Jets will end their three-year-old postseason drought.

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
84 Responses to “Rex is confident Jets will get to the playoffs”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 18, 2014 9:51 AM

Oh yeah it should be a cinch. The only way they won’t make it is if they find out that they have a QB problem.

2. floratiotime says: Jul 18, 2014 9:51 AM

Hopefully they’ll get good seats.

3. billswillnevermove says: Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM

And pigs will grow wings and fly in 2015.

4. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM

Jets suck…. sorry

they are in the worst division in football and in the AFC so they may in fact win a few games.. but, they will still suck

Jets are not a team to take seriously; mostly in league for humor

5. ajgreenhof says: Jul 18, 2014 9:54 AM

But not the Superbowl?

6. randy2054 says: Jul 18, 2014 9:55 AM

Yes Rex, your predictions of always been so perfect. I would imagine had you been old enough at the time you would’ve even predicted, that the world football league with by a strange coincidence played its first game on this day in 1974, that would be a great success! I remember that first game like it was yesterday it was two days before my 20th birthday the two teams were Philadelphia in Southern California and the quarterback for the Philadelphia team was none other than James King Corcoran. Oh well it lasted longer then the XFL the old world football league actually did have a championship game and lasted 1 1/2 seasons. Just a bit of trivia for those of us old enough to remember.

7. ariani1985 says: Jul 18, 2014 9:56 AM

and green bay will not finish last in defense for the 5th staight year!!!!!

8. ctiggs says: Jul 18, 2014 9:56 AM

I agree with him, the Jets are not that bad.

9. dethsupport says: Jul 18, 2014 9:58 AM

You don’t say!

10. footballguy5 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:03 AM

Eat a Snikers Rex, you think Geno Smith is good when you’re hungry

11. alshonbrandontandem says: Jul 18, 2014 10:04 AM

Thanks for the morning laugh Rex.

12. realnflmaster says: Jul 18, 2014 10:06 AM

So am I. It will be easy and clinched by week 11.

#JETSDYNASTY #NamathLEGEND #RexHoF

13. jimthebuilder27 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:07 AM

The Jets suck but they’ll win another Super Bowl before the Vikings!

14. metitometin says: Jul 18, 2014 10:07 AM

Let’s just aim a little lower before you start making bold pronouncements. How about first getting a tattoo of the actual starting QB whoever that may be.

15. jimthebuilder27 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:07 AM

Hey Rex, where are those rings you promised?

16. jjackwagon says: Jul 18, 2014 10:08 AM

(insert coaches name here) is confident (insert team name here) will get to the playoffs.

With the possible exception of Dennis Allen, because even he is not stupid enough to try and sell the idea that the Raiders will make it.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 18, 2014 10:08 AM

Just look at their QB situation. Predictable junk talk from the mouth of a Ryan.

18. r502 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:10 AM

Where have I heard this before?

19. ampats says: Jul 18, 2014 10:10 AM

We have heard/seen this show before and it never ends well.

Five more years until the Silver Anniversary Jets fans !!

20. coldwater32301 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:12 AM

Every Coach is…

21. jets82jets says: Jul 18, 2014 10:17 AM

With that said I’m not sold that the Jets will make the playoffs, I’m simply saying it’s not unimaginable.

22. pisano says: Jul 18, 2014 10:26 AM

It’s clear Rex still hasn’t learned to keep his big mouth shut !

23. rob8375 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:27 AM

We will be glad to have him in Miami next year as the Defensive Coordinator.

24. ajgreenhof says: Jul 18, 2014 10:27 AM

“This really isn’t the most shocking prediction and it could come true fairly easily. In the AFC east the patriots will win, the South, the Colts, the North Ravens/Steelers/Bengals, in the West, Broncos. Two wild card spots, the Jets would have to have a better record than the Ravens/Bengals/Steelers or Chargers. All you trolls haven’t thought this through, but rather jumped on the hate the Jets train.”

————————————————————-

Trolls? Both the Bills and the Dolphins have a better chance of beating the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals or Ravens then the Jets stable of has beens.

25. govtminion says: Jul 18, 2014 10:31 AM

Aha! Empty boasting from Rex Ryan, NOW it’s an NFL offseason.

26. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 18, 2014 10:31 AM

His predictions are about as accurate as Adrian Petersons with getting 2500 yards last year. I just think they are attention starved like Jerry Jones and like hearing themselves talk.

27. cpitch12 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:32 AM

he will never learn, when you lose say little, when you win say less…….GO PATS

28. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 18, 2014 10:38 AM

The AFC is freaking horrendous

did not have a top 5 team last year…..

AFC East and South are ridiculous

29. kwjsb says: Jul 18, 2014 10:42 AM

Rex is always putting a foot in his mouth, in one way or another,

30. george1859 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:43 AM

….T Minus 10-9-8-7-…till Rex is shown the door..

31. maafla1 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:45 AM

I don’t completely disagree with Rex. I think the two big questions are:

1. QB, obviously. Everything depends on Geno Smith improving across the board. If Geno cuts his turnovers by 1/3 the Jets will be serious contenders.

2. The secondary. Dee Milliner needs to continue on the upward trajectory he displayed the final four weeks of 2013. Dmitri Patterson has to stay healthy AND be better than Antonio Cromartie was last year. If Kyle Wilson starts the year as anything other than a nickel CB, the Jets are going to struggle on the back end.

32. jets82jets says: Jul 18, 2014 10:45 AM

————————————————————-

33. fwippel says: Jul 18, 2014 10:46 AM

If the Jets don’t get to the playoffs, Rex will be looking for work in January.

34. ccc23454 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:47 AM

rex’s going away present to the team this year, he is going to rent a bus and buy the 53 man roster all tickets to a playoff game!

35. whatjusthapped says: Jul 18, 2014 10:49 AM

The good news, at least he stopped predicting a Superbowl.

Look, this guy is so delusional that he truly should be the head coach of the Vikings. Its a match made in heaven, a head coach who is totally detached from reality predicting big things for a football team that could never deliver matching the same level of delusion of the team’s fan base..

36. ihatethejets23 says: Jul 18, 2014 10:49 AM

The Jets may end up having the worst offense in the NFL next year and one of the worst secondaries. No way they finish anywhere but last in the AFC East.

37. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 18, 2014 10:51 AM

ariani1985 says:
    Jul 18, 2014 9:56 AM
    and green bay will not finish last in defense for the 5th staight year!!!!!
    —————-
    First of all that would be impossible since the Vikings have finished behind the Packers in defense for each of the last 5 years. It’s like most Vikings fans don’t even watch the NFL, they just comment on message boards.

38. notthetroll says: Jul 18, 2014 10:51 AM

It was almost like this story was written for trolls and the delusional.

39. s0merand0mguy says: Jul 18, 2014 10:56 AM

I swear every year we see this same headline pop up here…..

40. jets82jets says: Jul 18, 2014 10:58 AM

ihatethejets23 says:
    Jul 18, 2014 10:49 AM

That was what was said last year, yet they finished second. The Jets have only improved since last year. You’ll be eating these words come January.

41. dfried119 says: Jul 18, 2014 11:02 AM

yawn!!!!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

42. 69finfan says: Jul 18, 2014 11:02 AM

Oh Boy

43. shatho1 says: Jul 18, 2014 11:04 AM

I’m confident we will be a playoff team.”
    *********************************************
    and I am confident u will fail just like every other season u have said this

44. turtlehut says: Jul 18, 2014 11:05 AM

The Jets play the Lions Sept. 28. Maybe Jim Caldwell will tank the game for Rex like he did when he was head coach of the Colts, which put the Jets into the playoffs in 2009.

45. finsphan says: Jul 18, 2014 11:15 AM

“Well luckily the Jets don’t play the Ravens or Bengals. The Dolphins play the Ravens. As I recall the Jets beat the Saints and Patriots last year, I don’t seem to recall the Dolphins or Bills beating either of those teams.”

the dolphins beat the patriots last year at home genius and had them down 17-3 in thier own place before sherman ruined it in the 2nd half, dolphins had the saints in NO which most teams lose in thier dome. try again

46. whatnojets says: Jul 18, 2014 11:18 AM

16,962 days since we last won a Super Bowl.
    Just saying…….

47. olcap says: Jul 18, 2014 11:21 AM

We can all take this info and make a killing in Vegas.

48. whoisferg says: Jul 18, 2014 11:22 AM

“Dmitri Patterson has to stay healthy AND be better than Antonio Cromartie was last year.”

What? These words put together one after another do not make any sense. Is that a different language?

Maybe you think “stay healthy” and “better” mean something else than the rest of us, because Dmitri Patterson cannot stay healthy and no where in this universe or the next is Dmitri Patterson better than Cromartie.

49. wnstonchill says: Jul 18, 2014 11:22 AM

…..and, he’s got a tattoo of Mark Sanchez on his left arm to prove it !

50. jnbnet says: Jul 18, 2014 11:26 AM

politicallyincorrect says:
    Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM
    Jets suck…. sorry

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I guess it’s too much work for you to check so I’ll do it for you. The AFC East was the 3rd best division last year. Rex has taken the Jets to the AFC Championship game twice. But who cares about facts?

51. iamkillerfin says: Jul 18, 2014 11:29 AM

DREAM ON, the junk jets still suck!!! GO FINS!!!

52. ariani1985 says: Jul 18, 2014 11:33 AM

politicallyincorrect says:
    Jul 18, 2014 10:38 AM
    The AFC is freaking horrendous

did not have a top 5 team last year…..

AFC East and South are ridiculous
    ———————————————–

Obviously you don’t watch much NFCN football..

If a garbage team like Green Bay can make the playoffs so could my local Dentistry college…..

53. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 18, 2014 11:39 AM

jnbnet says:
    Jul 18, 2014 11:26 AM
    politicallyincorrect says:
    Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM
    Jets suck…. sorry

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

__________________

I think I will stick to my statement. AFC East has 2 of the teams rated as worst 5 in league, and the Jets should be there as well but for the aforementioned division…..I don’t really value getting to the AFC championship as I feel the AFC sucks…. there is a reason a mediocre team like Pats wins every year, and it is not because they are good… and, I’m not just alluding to the cheating and low player stds, I mean the division and the conf…

I live in NJ; Jets are merely in league for laughs…… I take it you don’t have a sense of humor….

I stand by the entirety of my statement as truth!

54. jetsfaninindy says: Jul 18, 2014 11:39 AM

Defense and running win titles. The Jets will be better if they play to those two strengths. If Geno is throwing 25-30 times a game…. it will be a long year.

55. politicallyincorrect says: Jul 18, 2014 11:40 AM

come on AFC guys, the NFC had a non playoff team better than the best AFC team last year

please don’t argue this.. you would appear silly

I know these things run in cycles but the AFC NFC disparity is huge right now… the AFC sucks… it just does…

56. dg0122 says: Jul 18, 2014 11:56 AM

I’m confident he’s wrong

57. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 18, 2014 11:58 AM

Thats Rex :)

He always says that *cue the studio audience laugter*

58. jets82jets says: Jul 18, 2014 12:00 PM

__________________

I stand by the entirety of my statement as truth!

Truth implies a statement is factual. You have spouted a bunch of opinions. Clearly you do not understand the word truth.

59. hehateme2 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:04 PM

5/6 win franchise. But hey, there is always 1969!

60. mutantman87 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:09 PM

A team that finished 8-8 despite having no talent on offense and plays in a weak conference absolutely has a chance this year. With Decker, Amaro, and CJ added to the offense, people might be open and they might be able to actually move the ball. I think Geno will play closer to the middle rather than the back of the pack after a full offseason of work (he played good football down the home stretch last year). The sticking point I see is that empty cupboard at CB, when they have to play Brady twice, along with Rodgers and Calvin Johnson next year.

61. dirtdawg54 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:13 PM

Translation: what Rex was really trying to say:

“If the Jets make the playoffs, it’s due to my coaching. If they don’t, blame Idzik””

62. tedmurph says: Jul 18, 2014 12:26 PM

NFC was 34-30 against the AFC last season, despite the fact the AFC does have more truly bad teams at the bottom. Feel the dominance.
    AFC 5 teams in PFT top 9. NFC 4 teams in the top 9.

63. Bruce G. Owens Jr says: Jul 18, 2014 12:31 PM

At least now Woody knows who ran up all of those phone charges calling Miss Cleo’s psychic hotline.

64. dcstinks says: Jul 18, 2014 12:35 PM

So does that Washington DC team, the Jags and the Vikings.

Jets are the Washington DC team of the AFC. Always outclassed by the Patriots as the Washington DC team is outclassed by Philly.

Philly has the
    Best Running Back,
    Best Running Back Combo,
    The Best QB,
    The Best Staff,
    The Best WR Corp.
    And a Much Improved Defense!

#ICWT

65. zz3712kk says: Jul 18, 2014 12:37 PM

politicallyincorrect says:
    Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM
    Jets suck…. sorry

Jets are not a team to take seriously; mostly in league for humor.
    —————————————————-
    You most didn’t watch the nfc east last year.

66. dalcow4 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Not gonna happen. Geno is terrible and Vick won’t last and isn’t good enough anyway.

One of the interesting questions for next offseason will be– Which HC will want Rex Ryan as his DC? Does Ryan’s talent as defensive coordinator offset the bombastic stuff he brings along?

67. orthomarine says: Jul 18, 2014 12:48 PM

Remember Rexy Poo…

1. One foot in front of the other
    2. Don’t tip-toe around the facts
    3. Wear comfortable shoes for your feet
    4. Change your socks along the way to keep your feet dry

68. jonnydapat says: Jul 18, 2014 12:48 PM

If Rex could just get lap-band surgery on his mouth, he would be complete. Bye-Bye fat gut, bye-bye fat mouth. Same old JETS.

69. micknangold says: Jul 18, 2014 12:50 PM

“…but by no means does that mean that I don’t expect to improve on where we were.”

Doesn’t sound like a guy who isn’t asked to be held accountable.

70. promickey says: Jul 18, 2014 12:50 PM

The Patriots are the only team that are of any quality. The Dolphins have a QB who is not a franchise QB, yet he was the overall 8th pick in his draft! The Bills can’t win and have never been a factor since Jim Kelly retired. The Jets should be second to the Patriots in the division. If the Dolphins decide to play Matt Moore they will be a factor. No one will believe that but it’s true. The Dolphins will beat out the Jets but only if Tannehill does not play QB

71. zz3712kk says: Jul 18, 2014 12:51 PM

rex ryan got the jets to 8-8 last year with a rookie qb,bad receiver core and a not so great secondary. Decker might not be the receiver we seen in denver but he will produce in new york. jets was sixth in rushing adding chris johnson will only make it stronger. not to forget that D-line with mo wilkerson(wish he was a steeler)and sheldon richardson I think the jets can go 9-7 and maybe make it to the playoff.

72. jc327 says: Jul 18, 2014 12:52 PM

I’ve heard this one before. Wait ’til the punchline…

73. jaygatsbytheoneandonly says: Jul 18, 2014 12:58 PM

What do you idiots want him to say? “We have no shot on improving from last year”.

He’s paid to get the team ready to play and part of that is getting the team to believe they will improve from the prior year. Keep writing off the Jets all you want, but you guys are the same idiots that were all over the NFC West being the worst division in NFL history 3 years ago, and now everyone thinks Pete Carroll is a genius.

74. whatjusthapped says: Jul 18, 2014 1:01 PM

notthetroll says:

It was almost like this story was written for trolls and the delusional.
    ==========================
    When talking about the Viking fans, both terms apply

75. dcstinks says: Jul 18, 2014 1:05 PM

When talking about the Viking fans, both terms apply

—————-
    Dont forget the Washington DC teams’s Fans.

76. toybkshr says: Jul 18, 2014 1:07 PM

Here we go again – Rex just can’t stand not being in the media crosshairs for long.

77. dumdolt says: Jul 18, 2014 1:18 PM

Rex is confident Jets will get to the playoffs…
    and then he picked up a controller and booted up Madden

78. peepeetoucher says: Jul 18, 2014 1:52 PM

The media is so transparent with trying to keep this Rex/Jets circus narative going that its just beyond lame at this point. I understand why they do it cuz it gets people to read and comment on it cuz Rex is a polarizing figure but its been 5 years now and they keep repeating the same formula. Time to find another team to be the media whipping boy.

79. djscottyb says: Jul 18, 2014 2:43 PM

Kinda like guaranteeing the playoffs AND the Super Bowl in 2011
    Sort of…

If he’s so confident – when is he getting “2014 Playoffs” tattooed underneath the one with his wife wearing a Sanchez jersey??

80. tedbundyslawyer says: Jul 18, 2014 2:45 PM

And Obama will go down as the best president of all time………hahahahaha

81. kev86 says: Jul 18, 2014 2:55 PM

before 2011 the jets were going to be better than the giants for the next 10 years…giants knocked them out of playoffs and won the super bowl.

82. RexCanCoach says: Jul 18, 2014 3:15 PM

Yeah BABY!!!!! Love Rex and so do his players. Wilkerson and Richardson are BEASTS this year on the D Line.

Is there any doubt my Jets are going to playoffs? Who is going to stop them???

#JetsAllTheWayIn2014

83. calininerfan says: Jul 18, 2014 5:09 PM

Welcome back double chin Rex. Glad there will be a clown show to watch for fun. I’m sure you will beat New Englad twice right? Now say your the best team in the league…don’t stop now big boy.

84. kaner897 says: Jul 19, 2014 1:43 AM

ryan is a loser and will always be a loser.
    I’ll give 10 to 1 odds the only way he’s in the superbowl is if he buys a ticket!