Kluwe’s lawyer recently argued to keep report private

Halunen AP

In recent days, former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe and his lawyer, Clayton Halunen, agitated the ongoing controversy with the team by claiming that the Vikings had reneged on a promise to make public the report of the investigation into Kluwe’s allegations of homophobic comments and retaliatory discharge for his gay-rights activism.

On July 15, Kluwe called a press conference at which he alleged that the Vikings broke their promise to release the report.  The Vikings later issued a statement contending that no such promise ever was made.

The Vikings apparently were accurate, because only one week earlier Kluwe’s lawyer wrote in an email to one of the lawyers investigating the situation that, indeed, no such promise was ever made.  Clayton Halunen also explained to Christopher Madel in the email, a copy of which PFT and other media outlets have obtained, that the report should never be made public.

“I’ve [p]ut a lot of thought into the Vikings making the investigation report public and the more I think about it I believe it would be a mistake for a number of reasons,” Halunen wrote.  “First, the Vikings have never made any commitment to make any investigation report public.  The only commitment made was that my client’s allegations would be thoroughly investigated.  They have been.  Second, there is no good reason to make [t]he details public.  They will only provide fodder for the media and pundits to attack the methodology, integrity or content to serve their own agenda.  Finally, why should confidences shared by witnesses during the course of the investigation that may be very personal in nature be shared publicly?  It’s seems as though public disclosure would more likely open a Pandora’s box than provide public confidence in the investigation.”

Pandora’s box definitely has been opened on this one.  But a persuasive case could be made that Kluwe opened the box when he first decided to take his claims public in lieu of attempting to handle the situation privately — especially if his lawyer’s ultimate conclusion is that the outcome of the investigation should be kept secret.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Kluwe’s lawyer recently argued to keep report private”
  1. hogue34 says: Jul 19, 2014 9:41 AM

Why won’t you just go away luwe? You got cut because you sucked!

2. isphet71 says: Jul 19, 2014 9:44 AM

The whole Pandora’s Box comment is spot-on. The Media would have a field day with that report. There would be a lot of collateral damage to Vikings players and personnel past and present.

Sometimes i’t just better to let bygones be bygones and not know than it is to start a big fight and hurt other people around you. If Kluwe cares one iota about some of the other players and coaches he worked with, he will let this one go.

3. vkngs77 says: Jul 19, 2014 9:49 AM

Can training camp get here any sooner?

4. longcutskolvikes says: Jul 19, 2014 9:49 AM

While I support LGBT rights, I can’t help but feel this isn’t about anything more than Kluwe being angry about getting cut.

5. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 19, 2014 9:50 AM

So sick of all the progressive garbage being pushed on this site.

A video game magazine I subscribe to for the past few months has been trying to shame their readers into accepting an openly gay main character in a game. As if there was a problem accepting one in the first place.

I am not renewing the subscription because when I am reading a magazine about video games, I am purposely trying to temporarily escape all of the different social and political topics I am beat over the head with on a daily basis nowadays.

I’m going to follow suit with this website and find somewhere else to get my football news. I can’t take it anymore.

6. natelan69 says: Jul 19, 2014 9:50 AM

Vikings team needs to pay for;

A) Keeping a lying bigot who has threatened to kill every gay person in the world, on their payroll

and

B) Firing their punter because he publicly supported gay rights.

Any means justify these ends.

7. txbearmeat says: Jul 19, 2014 9:51 AM

It seems clear that Priefer intentionally said something that he KNEW would bother Kluwe because the punter was a major POTA as an employee and because he was no longer punting well. Plus, if the allegations of Kluwe joking about the PSU fiasco are true, then he is the worst kind of hypocrite.

8. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 19, 2014 9:53 AM

You don’t have the guts to post that comment.

9. theravenlives2 says: Jul 19, 2014 9:54 AM

Chris Kluwe only cares about one person….the one he sees when he looks in th mirror.

10. bassplucker says: Jul 19, 2014 9:58 AM

What a mess. The best outcome in this would have been a token suspension of Priefer, a vaguely worded boilerplate admission by the Vikings organization (if in fact there was anything to admit), an under-the-table donation to some GBLT cause in return for Kluwe stepping off and not disclosing terms of the settlement or talking about it in public ever again.

But that didn’t happen, so here we are. Pandora’s Box is right. I happen to root for one of the Vikings’ division rivals but I still feel their fans’ pain. To have everything in place for a fresh start — new coaches, new stadium, new QB (maybe) — and then have some mediocre ex-player dragging everyone back into the past — has to really stink.

And BTW, Kluwe looks like a serious creep in that picture.

11. mousietongue says: Jul 19, 2014 10:01 AM

Is Kluwe so stupid that he would make these demands to make the report public without actually reading the report, or apparently discussing the matter with his attorneys???? SMH

12. seatownballers says: Jul 19, 2014 10:03 AM

I respect gay rights. But this guy is a screaming baby

13. hjb99992013 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:04 AM

Kluwe’s lawyer is to practicing law as Kluwe was to punting the football

14. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 19, 2014 10:04 AM

Sore viking posters should be a little more concerned about the suspended coach, he put the franchise here as well as a team that obviously could have settled but decided to cover it up to their peril. I guess when you are fans of a perrenially losing franchise you get accustomed to blaming others like the refs etc.

15. garryvike says: Jul 19, 2014 10:04 AM

If Kluwe was so concerned for gay Rights, why did he then not go to the White House when the President wanted to give him acknowledgement for his work. Kluwe’s answer was “I dont have time, as I have to focus on football”. 2 weeks later he was cut by the Oakland Raiders.

16. dartwick says: Jul 19, 2014 10:05 AM

This is getting lame.

If they were actually insulting a gay guy for being gay then ya someones head will roll.

Otherwise this is just whining after the fact about locker room trash talk – which cover pretty much every inappropriate topic possible..
    Its not a big deal – just do better next time.

17. edenprairieballer says: Jul 19, 2014 10:06 AM

Kluwe is an egomaniac and extremely smug that is way it’s great to see how bad he misplayed this entire situation. He lost all of his credibility after he made those Sandusky jokes. You can’t sue because someone said something inappropriate and participate in the same despicable behavior.

18. filthymcnastyi says: Jul 19, 2014 10:06 AM

Can the nfl…Vikings in particular get any more insane? Isn’t the definition of insanity something like, doing the same mistakes over and over again expecting different results?

19. natelan69 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:07 AM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Jul 19, 2014 9:50 AM
    So sick of all the progressive garbage being pushed on this site.

———————————-

There are a few racist football blogs out there, go have a blast.

You are on the WRONG side of history, my friend.

Adios.

20. natelan69 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:11 AM

txbearmeat says:
    Jul 19, 2014 9:51 AM

—————————-

If that were even remotely true, Kluwe wins the case today, hands down.

Workplace intimidation with the intent to compel an employee to leave is against the law. It’s just as bad as firing someone for protected speech.

And news flash… Whether you people like it or not, defending gays is protected free speech in some states employment laws, but threatening to kill them all is not.

21. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 19, 2014 10:11 AM

Thank you Kluwe! For the rest of us look at the bigger picture that the main purple trolls have been hiding since this broke giving us readers a refreshing break from the adolescent posts. Very similar to the season plays out when we reach week 5.

22. maestro1899 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:13 AM

The 5 Worst WRs in the NFL:

5. Brandon LaFell
    4. Jerome Simpson
    3. Jarius Wright
    2. Greg Jennings
    1. Cordarrelle Patterson

In that order.

23. footballfan14 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:14 AM

Kluwe and Michael Sam have probably started a trend, by accident (although I think Kluwe’s is intentional). If you are gay or stand up for gay rights you can’t get cut or go undrafted. That’s the way it’s coming off. I thought Kluwe was standing up for equal rights for these people?

Maybe I should say I’m gay and that’s why I didn’t get a college scholarship so I can sue. Wonder if a NFL team will sign me if I say I support gay rights and then sue the NFL for not signing me to a contract? That sounds so stupid and Kluwe’s rant here is completely stupid as well!

By the way, I know Sam is a different story but how come nobody in the media has pointed out that the Rams passed on Ethan Westbrooks for Sam. Sam was horrible at the Senior Bowl and Westbrooks had two sacks at the Shrine. Westbrooks is by far a better player, more explosive, and fits the Rams system better. Why did they pass on Westbrooks in the draft for Sam? They would have gotten Sam undrafted easily so why take him instead of Westbrooks?

24. natelan69 says: Jul 19, 2014 10:17 AM

If my manager knew that I was pro-gay rights, and made multiple comments in front of mine and my peers’ faces that he wanted to exterminate the gays, and then I found myself fired for ANY reason, you best BELIEVE I’m going after that guy!!

Again, disregard the merits of Kluwe’s firing, whether it was political or performance-related… Why was Priefer so COLOSSALLY STUPID to say that he wanted to kill all the gays in the world in front of multiple people?!?!

OOPS!!!

25. bucsorbust says: Jul 19, 2014 10:20 AM

Get a load of this: “They will only provide fodder for the media and pundits to attack the methodology, integrity or content to serve their own agenda. Finally, why should confidences shared by witnesses during the course of the investigation that may be very personal in nature be shared publicly? It’s seems as though public disclosure would more likely open a Pandora’s box than provide public confidence in the investigation.”

Since when does a lawyer care about anyone else’s agenda or personal issues or public’s confidence? I think Kluew’s lawyer knows the case is just plain weak, and thinks he’s giving the Vikings a chance to pay up without making a public t0-do and making himself the fool. B-A-C-K-F-I-R-E!! Now it’s out there, so pony up!

I just became a Vikings fan because of this scumbag and his lawyer.

26. Aaron Rodgers has Tiny Hands says: Jul 19, 2014 10:21 AM

So much for Kluwe’s lawsuit against the Vikings. I guess he’ll have to sue his lawyer now.

27. bucsorbust says: Jul 19, 2014 10:26 AM

Looks to me like Pfeifer and Kluwe talk a lot of the big load. Wow, imagine that…on a sports field and in the locker room. Pfeifer seems to have committed an infraction of workplace rules and Kluwe’s turning out to be a hyprocritical jerk. Kluew needs to go way, Pfeifer needs to stay away a couple of games, and everyone needs to focus on football.

28. locutus says: Jul 19, 2014 10:35 AM

“natelan69 says:”

Kluwe in the house!

29. heroofthisparish says: Jul 19, 2014 10:39 AM

So Kluwe appears to be wrong (lying) about the promises to publicly issue the report.

That is the second time he has been shown to be disingenuous. His original defence of his actions regards Penn State of, ‘I don’t remember…’, has changed to suddenly recalling this behaviour on Twitter (including why and how long that type stuff went on for).

As much as a point as Kluwe may have had once upon a time, that is now largely lost as he now looks like a very bitter little boy who has spit his pacifier out of his crib.

30. filthymcnastyi says: Jul 19, 2014 10:42 AM

They’re both in the closet!

31. gtodriver says: Jul 19, 2014 10:52 AM

bassplucker says:

________________________

The Vikings have suspended Priefer for 3 games (2 games if he attends sensitivity training).

The Vikings offered a $100,000 donation to a GBLT organization.

Kluwe insisted on a $1,000,000 donation.

The Vikings took this seriously.

Kluwe is taking it ludicrously.

32. tokyofilthblaster says: Jul 19, 2014 10:57 AM

Sure, they’re terrible at football. But you can always count on the Vikings for some hysterical fodder during slow news periods.

33. wheels579 says: Jul 19, 2014 11:19 AM

Kluwe’s lawyer might have a point if the coach has been fired. Then there would be no need to publicize. But two games after completing some bogus sensitivity training is insufficient to say the least, and the media would have taken off with this as soon as someone noticed Priefer was still employed.

34. sonofad says: Jul 19, 2014 11:27 AM

It wouldn’t be July without a Viking freak show.

35. bushwoodcc says: Jul 19, 2014 11:28 AM

Oh, so you’re saying Kluwe got his facts wrong…kind of like when he claimed he was one of the league’s best punters when he was cut by the Vikes.

36. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 19, 2014 11:33 AM

Privacy and kluwe do not go together. He is an attention starved worm.

37. sonofad says: Jul 19, 2014 11:41 AM

I’ve had multiple offers in the $400 range from Viking fans this morning for my fake Packer stock.

38. Kelly's Chronicles says: Jul 19, 2014 11:41 AM

As a Packer fan I am loathe to be on the same side as the Vikings on anything but in this case Kluwe sounds to me like a guy with an ax to grind for getting cut.

39. GenXJay says: Jul 19, 2014 11:51 AM

Kluwe spouts out more libtard hatred than stellarperformance.
    I would think that a chmura style accusation from kluwe would be more severe & cause to report to authorities instead of gay slandering.
    And if Kluwe participated in clandestine activities throughout his tenure with the Vikes, it simply furthers the fact that he’s doing it for $.

40. sonofad says: Jul 19, 2014 11:54 AM

Hilarious. Don’t ever change, Viking fans.

41. purpleguy says: Jul 19, 2014 12:00 PM

People need to take a rudimentary class on employment law and discrimination. The investigation and report were undertaken the same way as thousands of others in the employment setting, and for state and federal legal reasons, remain confidential. Second, if an employer has a legitimate business reason for its acts, there is no claim, no causation or damage, and the Vikes went younger, cheaper, better like every other NFL team in the league. Kluwe will have a heck of a time establishing a hostile work environment or attempts to intimidate him given the stuff he did/said and since his clear outspokeness shows he can’t be intimidated in the first place, not to mention that a position coach does not make the personnel decisions. Priefer is a bigot and should be punished, but those comments don’t equate to causation and damages for Kluwe’s claims.

42. eagles512 says: Jul 19, 2014 12:02 PM

The more that comes out the more obvious that Kluwe is a delusional, lying hypocrite. What a disgrace.

43. tokyofilthblaster says: Jul 19, 2014 12:41 PM

I am so grateful the Vikings didn’t settle. This is way more fun.

44. veence69 says: Jul 19, 2014 1:13 PM

The stuff you hear in a locker room would shut down every high school, college and professional program in the country. Did no one here play sports? This is headed down a dangerous path.

45. 1standinches says: Jul 19, 2014 1:19 PM

Gays can stand up for themselves Kluwe, I’m sure they don’t need your help defending their lifestyle. It doesn’t concern you

46. tokyofilthblaster says: Jul 19, 2014 1:21 PM

Why did Kluwe hire Jon Gruden as his attorney?

47. whatjusthapped says: Jul 19, 2014 5:27 PM

I have a feeling that the Vikings could have easily swept this under the rug and keep it out of the newspapers but why should common sense come into that organization at this late date.

I also have a feeling that this could potentially distract the 2014 team and ruin their season. Now that would be worth the price of admission.

48. tokyofilthblaster says: Jul 20, 2014 11:07 AM

And people wonder why the Vikings finish in last place every year.

49. silentfreedom5 says: Jul 23, 2014 1:45 AM

I support gay rights, but when the published report showed that the Vikings did nothing wrong, and that Kluwe made one comment, in jest, that Kluwe laughed at, and when Kluwe made fun of kids being molested at Penn State, I realized they really didn’t do anything wrong.

Priefer got suspended for nearly a fourth of the season for making one comment in jest, that was in bad taste. Kluwe laughed at it at first. I dont think the joke is funny, I think its horrible, he got his punishment.

The Vikings were found to donate money annually to LGBT organizations. Send players and coaches to sensitivity training for race, sexual orientation and more for many years.

Former pro bowl punters showed how Kluwes hangtime was so horrible despite the fact that Kluwe’s distance decreased. Former GM’s and pro bowl punters agree he should have been cut because his salary was so high and he wasn’t good.

Whats the problem here?