Alabama fan yells “Roll Tide,” sucker punches Titans QB

AP

Maybe Titans rookie quarterback Zach Mettenberger should wear a red no-contact jersey when he goes out in Nashville.

Or at least put on some cologne to cover up the smell of corn dogs.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean, Mettenberger was sucker-punched at a bar over the weekend, after a fellow patron taunted the former LSU quarterback with a yell of “Roll Tide.”

Steve Ford, the owner of Loser’s Most Wanted Bar & Grill, said Mettenberger did nothing wrong before the Alabama fan took a shot.

“Here’s the truth: The guy said something about ‘Roll Tide!’ to Zach, and Zach turned around and said ‘Good luck with that,’ ” Ford said. “And the guy’s buddy then sucker-punched Zach.

Neither Mettenberger nor the bar owner will press charges.

To his credit, Mettenberger apparently handled the incident appropriately, saving the Titans a preseason headache.

49 responses to “Alabama fan yells “Roll Tide,” sucker punches Titans QB

1. … let me guess … minimum wage job, no life savings, rusty pickup truck … hasn’t taken the wheels off the home just yet … but oh boy, he loves him some Bama football !!

2. From punching hard-working young men to poisoning iconic trees, could there possibly be a trashier fanbase?

War Eagle!

3. Pretty cool kid. I don’t think I could keep my composure if I were sucker-punched by such a coward.

4. Wow that’s uncalled for, some people just take sports to far, he doesn’t play for LSU anymore so you shouldn’t bother him about Alabama. Also can’t people just stop trying to provoke sport stars they are normal people after all and I’m sure they’d love being treated like ones. At least Zach is taking the high road with it.

5. Alabama fans are worse the USC fans and both football programs are only great because the moeny roll used to buy the roster.

6. Sucker punch a 6 foot 5 220 pro athlete who spends all day working on his arm strength?

That takes some balls.

7. Kudos to Mettenberger.
    Showed a lot of maturity with this incident.
    Not a huge Titans, but looks like they got a QB in the Making – has decent skills and not easily phased, and that’s a good place to start.

8. Whether he does or doesn’t play for LSU anymore is irrelevant. The guy in the bar assaulted another human being. Mettenberger handled it correctly, but the guy still needs to be charged with assault. Otherwise he’s going to punch someone else.

9. AFTER the season, give Zack and this loser the Thunderdome treatment. Two men go in, one comes out. Odds are that it would be Mettenberger coming out of the arena.

That fantasy aside, props to Mettenberger for not stooping to the assailant’s level.

10. kd75 says: Jul 21, 2014 3:24 PM
    That takes some balls.
    __________

Or takes some mountainous stupidity.

11. Not pressing charges against the jerk will only encourage others to pull this sort of stupidity. Bama fans can really suck!

12. I like this quote, especially the part at the end, “I know in 15 years being in the bar business, I know that everyone is trying to provoke someone who is a moving billboard,” Ford said. “I don’t care if they are country music, a rapper, football players or whatever. Everybody is trying to push somebody’s buttons. It is a lawsuit jungle out there.”

People just out looking to sue disgust me. Those who do bad stuff and win lawsuits make me hate the direction this country has gone, mainly because you going right doesn’t mean you win anymore. Sad.

13. kd75 says:
    Jul 21, 2014 3:24 PM
    “Sucker punch a 6 foot 5 220 pro athlete who spends all day working on his arm strength?

That takes some balls.”

You may notice the guy ran like a little girl…

14. People suck plain and simple. Then add alcohol and things get exponentially worse. Yet the calm inducing happy effects of marijuana are still illegal most everywhere.

15. “I promise you that Mettenberger did not throw a punch. He didn’t do anything. The guy sucker-punched him in the eye, that’s the bottom line, and the guy that punched him started running out the door. My door guys had to chase him down.”

Neither Mettenberger nor the bar owner will press charges.

______________________________

Yea, see that right there is what we call “Southern Justice.” You’ll never hear what actually happened when they caught the guy.

16. Living in Alabama, that sounds exactly like a dumb bama fan. More than likely didn’t go to Alabama and I doubt he could even find it on a map.

17. kd75 says:
    Jul 21, 2014 3:24 PM

That takes some balls.

=====

Sounds like some chump looking for a big pay day after suing the athlete for assault.

18. I believe the proper thing to yell before getting arrested is “Roll Damn Tide!”. At least that’s what I’ve seen on Cops.

19. thirdistheworrd says:
    Jul 21, 2014 3:13 PM

War Eagle!

___________________________________

Don’t forgot the Alabama mom who went totally berserk at the bowl game last season, punching and kicking everyone in sight. It’s a damn game, people. Most of these idiots probably didn’t even go to school there.

20. What do you think the over/under is on how many Alabama fans actually know what what a Crimson Tide is? 5? 6? In any case, I’ll take the under.

21. sw19womble says: Jul 21, 2014 3:31 PM

kd75 says: Jul 21, 2014 3:24 PM
    That takes some balls.
    __________

Or takes some mountainous stupidity.

Or a whooooole lotta Busch Light… Draft..

22. Zach is 23 and not causing problems. Why is there a problem if he is at a bar? Just checked and it looks like it might have been his birthday.

As long as we are getting rid of fan bases.. add Nebraska to the list. Some horrible experiences at bowl games – bad name calling from all ages for no reason.

Bama – we went to A&M/Bama last year, we were impressed by Bama fans – they did win the game, but it was close, and before and after the game, everyone behaved themselves around us.

23. txraiders says:
    Jul 21, 2014 4:36 PM

__________________________________

You couldn’t be more right about Nebraska. I went to a Big 12 school when they were in the conference and they were the worst fans we ever had come into town and second place wasn’t even close. What’s worse is that by that point the program had slipped into a mediocre place from which they are yet to emerge and to this day they haven’t figured that out yet.

24. I understand I wasn’t very clear in my post and apparently there was verbiage in my explanation the moderator didn’t like so I’ll just chill.

25. I give a lot of credit to Zach Mettenberger. This loser was either trying to provoke Mettenberger or was just drunk and stupid. The comments about this loser looking to get Mettenberger to hit him so that he can sue seem to be a bit of a stretch. I somehow doubt that this moron had the brains to come up with a plan like that. Also, throwing the first punch would pretty well negate any attempts at a suit since it would almost certainly have been ruled self defense if Mettenberger had leveled the idiot. In any case, Mettenberger did the right thing by not allowing himself to be baited into getting involved in a bar fight. You never know how many idiot friends this moron had with him who might have jumped in if Mettenberger had hit their buddy.

26. I assume this Bama fan had lots of liquid courage in him before going all Dukes of Hazzard on a 6’5 NFL player.