Broncos take the No. 3 spot in our preseason power rankings

Peyton Manning AP

Last year the Broncos were the best team in the AFC, but not the best team in the NFL. This year we think the Broncos will be the best team in the AFC, but not the best team in the NFL.

In our preseason power rankings, the Broncos are No. 3. That’s ahead of the other 15 teams in the AFC, but still behind the two NFC teams we’ll reveal tomorrow (you can probably guess which two teams those are).

As long as Peyton Manning is healthy, the Broncos have a lot going for them on offense, and the defense could be better this year with the additions of DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward. But will the defense be enough better for the Broncos to not only return to the Super Bowl, but win it?

PFT Planet, let us know what you think.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Broncos take the No. 3 spot in our preseason power rankings”
  1. jjb0811 says: Jul 21, 2014 3:05 PM

Waiting for the implosion from the Bronco’s then the inevitable cut all vets & fire all coaches for the ‘rebuild’. Its coming; if not next season, the year after that.

2. quanmanager says: Jul 21, 2014 3:13 PM

Wow I am a 49ers fan and I am surprised. I still think you have to put the Broncos ahead of us. Why? The AFC is a cake walk and their schedule usually reflects that. I do think the 49ers would beat them head to head. However, I think the Broncos are a much more sure thing to return to the playoffs.

3. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 21, 2014 3:17 PM

Ok well if you insist then what I think is I can’t wait to watch the matchup between Ward and Sammy Watkins’ hair if he doesn’t cut it by then. To me the pride he has in his hair = a legal opportunity to cause a fumble by way of whiplash plus a safer way to make a tackle than to take on his physical prowess. But my last post about Ward didn’t make it, so up to you if you want to approve this one!

4. 6ball says: Jul 21, 2014 3:17 PM

Denver has a very difficult schedule.

5. racerx1225 says: Jul 21, 2014 3:27 PM

quanmanager says:
    Jul 21, 2014 3:13 PM
    ==============================

The AFC sent 3 of its 4 teams to the playoffs last year. Cakewalk? lol

Furthermore, The Raiders have the hardest schedule in the NFL this year and the rest of the West is pretty hard too.

Dont let facts sway your opinion. You’d probably vote for Obama a 3rd time, lol. Idiot.

6. slugbaitspace says: Jul 21, 2014 3:28 PM

With the possible exception of the Jets, the entire first half of the Broncos upcoming season is going to be much more challenging for them than most of the 2013 season. A lot of tough, physical defenses and a few very efficient offenses to deal with during those first eight games.

They could quite possibly start out 3-5. The majority of contests might be final-possession games.

Their final eight games will likely be easy enough to get them back to the playoffs, though.

7. harper2 says: Jul 21, 2014 3:39 PM

1. 49ers
    2. Seattle

8. juliusanonymous says: Jul 21, 2014 4:14 PM

Lol @ the irony of someone calling others idiots while bringing up politics in a totally non-political discussion.

9. briscocountyjr says: Jul 21, 2014 4:17 PM

I’m very excited about the NFCW and AFCW matchup- I think people sleep on the AFCW teams, and the Broncos way too much. It will be fun, especially the revenge matchup for Denver vs Seattle. Let’s see what happens. All I can say is– you probably don’t want Manning to stew over tape during an entire offseason after getting blown out…

10. steelers4385 says: Jul 21, 2014 4:23 PM

Brady is better than Manning. Always has been. And the Pats are better than Broncos. Period.

11. tommyribs says: Jul 21, 2014 4:39 PM

I vote Too High on all of these, as this really is a crap shoot, and I do it in the interests of fun.

Kind of like how they Boo Goodell when he comes up to announce picks.

Denver should be good, but everyone had Atlanta taking the next step next year too.

12. 150bigdaddy says: Jul 21, 2014 5:18 PM

Don’t know what to say about this team,good during the regular season but just not as good in January when it counts. I think they are done after the first playoff game,if they are able to win it.

13. RegisHawk says: Jul 21, 2014 5:23 PM

1. Seattle.

All others need not apply :)

14. chawkup says: Jul 21, 2014 5:29 PM

It’s going to be an interesting year. The 3 teams that most consider the 3 best in the NFL play each other a total of 4 times and they all also have to play SD, KC, Ari, and StL, none of which are slouches. I predict that one of these teams (Sea, SF, or Den) misses the playoffs entirely. I just hope it isn’t my Seahawks.

15. dalcow4 says: Jul 21, 2014 5:42 PM

No big. You have to let them have that ranking because they had such a great year last year until the Super Bowl.

Won’t last.

16. denverdude7 says: Jul 21, 2014 6:48 PM

Denver should be ranked #1 without a doubt.

For the Seahawk and 49er fans who will obviously disagree with me, can you honestly say that your teams would make it to the Super Bowl missing 10 of starters?

17. scw1993 says: Jul 21, 2014 10:33 PM

Here are the denver fans, whining about injuries yet again. EVERY team has injuries, many teams have gone to play in the SB with injuries, and some even with significant issues. That doesn’t explain mr. nfl royalty qb who chokes in every big game, except the games where he’s eligible to pad his personal stats. Who cares if he “stews” over tape all off season…he still chokes it up when it really matters the most. How about giving Seattle some credit for putting a smashmouth product on the field…they put on a clinic for megahead, and they ALSO had injuries going into the SB. Stop with the injuries excuse already, and admit you got steamrolled by the best team. 43 -8.

18. jprcox says: Jul 21, 2014 11:29 PM

racerx1225:

Good reading there bud….he said AFC, not AFC West. Id agree the West is the best division in the AFC, but you can’t be serious and think the AFC teams are in the same league as the NFC elite teams right now.

19. mjmiller2010 says: Jul 22, 2014 2:55 AM

denverdude7, who did Seattle lose? The only 2 I can think of are Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner, but those two are replaceable…tough to replace but still replaceable. Maxwell should be able to fill in for them (he did a great job after Browner’s injury/suspension). Percy Harvin should (hopefully) be healthy all season, he made a huge impact in the Super Bowl. They also added Paul Richardson who finally gives them a legitimate deep threat. Seattle may not be as dominant as they were last year, but I think they have a good chance of returning to the Super Bowl, especially if they can get home-field advantage again.