Lawrence Timmons taking on leadership role with Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Steelers defense has seen several of their top veterans leave the team over the last couple of years, leaving only a handful of players who were key parts of the two AFC Champions of the Mike Tomlin era.

Some of them, like safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor, aren’t far from their own departure from the Steelers. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons has played seven years for the team, but is only 28 and should have several more years in Pittsburgh if he stays healthy and productive. As a result, he’s taking on more of a leadership role on the defense in hopes of helping to mold the next generation of defenders into a strong unit.

“I do feel like I have to do a lot for this team. With me being one of the older guys, I understand that if everybody does their job, everyone is going to make plays,” Timmons said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I want to be a model citizen for this team because we’re very young now. I can’t get carried away with having a good time because everyone, especially the young guys, have to know there’s a time and place for everything. It’s why I do the things I do and why I carry myself a certain way.”

Last year, the Steelers defense finished outside the Top 10 in yards allowed for the first time since the 1999 season as Pittsburgh went 8-8 and missed the playoffs for the second straight season. A return to their usual spot in the rankings won’t guarantee a different outcome for the Steelers, but their additions of linebacker Ryan Shazier, safety Mike Mitchell  and defensive lineman Cam Thomas show that the Steelers want to get things back on track on that side of the ball. Timmons’ leadership and play will be part of that effort as well and the linebacker seems comfortable with the pressure that comes along with that role.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Lawrence Timmons taking on leadership role with Steelers”
  1. abanig says: Jul 22, 2014 9:45 AM

They drafted defensive lineman Stephen Tuitt also. Oddly enough – at least for a Dick Lebeau Defense – two rookies could end up stating this year with Shazier at ILB & Tuitt at LDE

2. jjackwagon says: Jul 22, 2014 9:54 AM

Somebody needs to because they sure won’t get any leadership from the coaches.

3. Steeley McBeam says: Jul 22, 2014 10:00 AM

I see Cam Heyward stepping up as a leader as well. Dude is about as intense as it gets and he certainly backs it up on the field.

If you’re gonna go 8-8 for two straight seasons at least we went from old and slow to young and fast. Now lets see what these kids can do over the next couple seasons because the sky is the limit.

4. heathn09 says: Jul 22, 2014 10:12 AM

I’m excited about this influx of young talent. Need someone to lead them. Hope Timmons is up to the task.

5. clashpoint says: Jul 22, 2014 10:33 AM

Let’s take a moment to review the all time AFCN team head-to-head scoreboard for the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers:

Steelers/Bengals
    Regular season? PIT: 53-34
    Postseason? PIT: 1-0

Steelers/Browns
    Regular season? PIT: 65-57
    Postseason? PIT: 2-0

Steelers/Ravens
    Regular season? PIT: 23–16
    Postseason? PIT: 3-0

That’s a wrap, folks.

I can’t wait to start playing the games :)

6. troy43mvp says: Jul 22, 2014 10:52 AM

13th ranked defense last year. First time since 1999 that the Steelers were out of the top ten and they were # 1 during multiple seasons. That’s pretty incredible.

7. jtbsteeler says: Jul 22, 2014 11:06 AM

When we win, you haters have bad weeks and weekends. You’re angry all week and you worry yourselves to weight loss.

8. olcap says: Jul 22, 2014 11:15 AM

Young and fast yes, but also inexperienced. If the head coach has the responsibility to see these young guys turn into superstars, the Stealers are in trouble.

6-10

9. futbawl says: Jul 22, 2014 11:22 AM

Timmons is a beast! The most under rated ILB in the NFL. Go Steelers!

10. 6ball says: Jul 22, 2014 11:26 AM

In today’s pass crazy NFL, whose in the secondary?

11. eleventyeight says: Jul 22, 2014 11:45 AM

Even more amazing that they were a few plays away from 5 SB appearances in the 2000-2010 decade:

2001- AFCCG loss to NE*
    2004- 15-1, AFCCG loss NE*
    2005- Lombardi Trophy
    2008- Lombardi Trophy
    2010- SB loss to GB [in close and exciting game. All props to the Pack]

An incredible decade for the free agency era.

12. udontknowjaq says: Jul 22, 2014 12:05 PM

If there is any player on the Steelers defense these days that’s a great role model for the younger players, its Timmons… Since he was a rookie, I’ve read that he comes to work everyday prepared, works hard & is all business. He doesn’t speak much, but his work ethnic & play says alot to the younger guys..

13. kewlslaw says: Jul 22, 2014 12:06 PM

In today’s pass crazy NFL, whose in the secondary?

Every secondary will be exposed if you do NOT apply pressure up front.

14. theageofquarrel says: Jul 22, 2014 12:20 PM

clashpoint says:
    Jul 22, 2014 10:33 AM

Steelers/Bengals
    Regular season? PIT: 53-34
    Postseason? PIT: 1-0

Steelers/Browns
    Regular season? PIT: 65-57
    Postseason? PIT: 2-0

Steelers/Ravens
    Regular season? PIT: 23–16
    Postseason? PIT: 3-0

That’s a wrap, folks.

I can’t wait to start playing the games :)

FACT!!!!!!

15. steelcurtainn says: Jul 22, 2014 12:28 PM

Leaders is exactly what this team needs. Glad to see LT stepping into that role. I’d like to see the steelers get that fiery edge back something they had when JP was at LB. Hopefully, Ryan Shazier or Jarvis Jones will be that guy.

16. handsofsteelhartofstone says: Jul 22, 2014 1:32 PM

No team was robbed more by the Patriots cheating tradition than the steelers. That’s another fact.

17. tavisteelersfan says: Jul 22, 2014 1:41 PM

Timmons is a vastly underrated player as ILB. Two years ago he did half duty as OLB covering for the Harrison injury, last year he and Polamalu covered when Foote was wiped out in Game 1.

Full disclosure … I wear 94 jersey to games. I think Timmons can do anything his coaches need and if he gets a full year playing his position he is All Pro. If Kuechly or Bowman were asked to cover as many positions their record would be no better than Timmons.

18. kremis says: Jul 22, 2014 3:10 PM

Maybe they should sign Tebow. He led his team to a knockout of the Steelers years ago and the Steelers have been irrelavant since!

19. Smash-Mouth.com says: Jul 22, 2014 3:21 PM

Timmons is not the most outgoing or demonstrative guy (kind of like Polamalu), so he may not seem like a natural leader, but the dude flat out brings it on the field. He’s been one of the better inside linebackers in the league over the last several years, yet somehow doesn’t seem to get the recognition that he deserves league-wide.

I would love to see him have another Pro Bowl season and, you know, actually MAKE the Pro Bowl.

20. beemerr80rt says: Jul 22, 2014 5:37 PM

If tebow is so great where the hell is he now !
    Even a blind dog finds a bone once in while.

21. nationlender says: Jul 23, 2014 1:25 AM

I was really surprised by all the free agent off season additions. And what appears to be well thought out additions in areas of great need. Apparently I must have been in the same camp as I didn’t think the draft would be quite enough to turn the ship around like they needed so it’s good to see that they got down to business and rebuilt. Getting rid of Woodley was the first smart move as he was over paid to begin with. Everyone got on Ike Taylor’s case but you have to respect the wealth of good a 5 million dollar pay cut will give the team and I expect a rebound year as well. I impressed with the overall depth and talent as “possibly” outside of the corners I see a complete team that appears to have a ton of talent.

22. randell52 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:18 AM

I sincerely hope all the Defensive players and the Special Teams step up and be The Steelers of Ole hard hitting catching interceptions forcing fumbles and my favorite oooo ya sack the opponents Quarterback Now I ask ya are you ready I do nt think you heard me I say are you ready for some football ok one more ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL now get out there and play some Steelers ball one 3 S T E E L E R S HIKE.

23. stillers213 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:22 AM

Our corners have taken way too much heat for the lack of pass rush this team has displayed since fat LaMarr signed his contract a few years ago. I expect that to change this season and we already saw some glimpses of it the 2nd half of last season.