Ravens expect NFL to be “fair” and “judicious” to Ray Rice

John Harbaugh AP

The Ravens are bracing themselves for being without running back Ray Rice.

But they’re not worried about how long, at least not yet.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he didn’t think the timing of Rice’s punishment (for assaulting his now-wife) would be a problem for the team, as long as they knew by the middle of the preseason.

“It’s not my decision to make or any of us here,” Harbaugh said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “It’s in other people’s hands. I’m sure there’s a lot of complications making those kind of decisions. There are many sides to every story, and there are a lot of factors. There are other people involved.

“There are other disciplinary situations involved around the league. That has to be weighed and taken into context They’re going to have to sort through that to be fair about the whole thing. I know the league is really judicious about that. I think they work really hard to do the right thing. I don’t think they worry about public opinion too much. I think they want to do the right thing by the people involved and see where it goes.”

But that’s just one of the issues they’ve faced this offseason, as they led the league with five arrests.

Asked how he addressed that surge in off-field activity, Harbaugh replied: “I think the point has been made.”

Now we get to sit back and see if it is heeded.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
59 Responses to “Ravens expect NFL to be “fair” and “judicious” to Ray Rice”
  1. youtubeingravenvids says: Jul 22, 2014 5:54 PM

8 games minimum. And I’m a ravens fan

2. robert831 says: Jul 22, 2014 5:59 PM

So suspended for a year minimum then!

3. alshonbrandontandem says: Jul 22, 2014 6:00 PM

Punching a woman unconscious should be a 6 game suspension MINIMUM. If I was Goodell, I’d give him a year, but what do I know.

4. pcbgravens says: Jul 22, 2014 6:01 PM

RAVENS NATION
    PURPLE CITY BIRD GANG
    #pcbg

5. seatownballers says: Jul 22, 2014 6:12 PM

Im waiting with popcorn

6. Canton Bulldogs says: Jul 22, 2014 6:15 PM

“Of course, if the Ravens were concerned about public opinion, they might not have live-tweeted Rice’s wife apologizing for getting knocked out.”

Harbaugh and Ozzie aren’t running the twitter account. You act like every tweet is analyzed and reviewed by all the senior leaders by some process. That’s not how things work in any organization. Some kid in the PR department runs the twitter account. If he/she messed up someone probably told them so. I expect hate from comments, not from authors.

7. claymatthewshairplugs says: Jul 22, 2014 6:15 PM

Ravens better watch out, you’ve seen what old Ray Rice can do when he’s mad. Stay away from elevators.

8. pcbgravens says: Jul 22, 2014 6:16 PM

its his first offense he will get 2 games suspended. no more, no less. #pcbg

9. largent80100 says: Jul 22, 2014 6:18 PM

Season-long suspension?

If wife-beater gets like 4 games, Goodell’s zero-tolerance policy is a big joke.

Dude doesn’t even have the “star” excuse (lol 3 ypc)

10. tommymomoney says: Jul 22, 2014 6:19 PM

He only smashed a woman in the face. Not nearly as harmful as a player smoking a bit of weed. Right Roger?

11. casualmalexlfan says: Jul 22, 2014 6:21 PM

Yeah, be fair to him guys its not like he killed anyone – he just committed a teeny weeny bodily assault on another person.

12. brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says: Jul 22, 2014 6:23 PM

Thank God he wasn’t smoking weed or he’d probably be banned indefinitely… But knock a woman unconscious? I’d say he gets 4-6 games. Yeah – that makes sense.

13. sladewillson says: Jul 22, 2014 6:25 PM

First in no way am I saying what Rice did was right. However, before we start getting the whole “a man should never put his hands on a woman no matter what” comments, let’s think about this in all honesty and all fairness if a man, woman or indifferent has the courage to put their hands on someone else man, woman, or indifferent they then merit the right to get hit back, and the person that hits back just might hit harder…… Now like I said before I’m not saying I think Rice was in the right when he punched his now wife, I do not know what happened between the two of them but I do know how it ended.

14. sladewillson says: Jul 22, 2014 6:26 PM

RAVENS NATION
    PURPLE CITY BIRD GANG
    #pcbg
    ___________________________________
    As a Raven fan your comment is gay

15. nattypoes says: Jul 22, 2014 6:28 PM

The reports I read said she attacked him first and he then retaliated by punching her. It’s funny how usually when a woman physically attacks a guy and then gets hit back most guys would say something along the lines of, “Act like a man, get treated like a man.” But not in this case. How many of you that were getting pummeled by someone, even a woman, wouldn’t naturally strike back to defend yourself? And for those that say they wouldn’t, what would you do? Fetal position?

I’m not saying what Ray did was right, clearly it’s wrong to hit women under most circumstances, but people saying he deserves a year for defending himself… Yeah, you’re dumb. 2-3 games is fair.

16. dcapettini says: Jul 22, 2014 6:28 PM

How is it that everybody commenting knows what happened when I follow it very closely and have not seen or heard officially, exactly what happened? Is there something I missed? Did the police release a video that I did not see? Was there testimony that I did not hear/read? Where are all these experts getting their information?

17. notthetroll says: Jul 22, 2014 6:29 PM

Reading the headline, Rodney Dangerfield instantly popped into mind from ‘Caddyshack’ handing Brian Doyle-Murray a c-note saying “keep it fair, keep it fair.’.

18. pcbgravens says: Jul 22, 2014 6:31 PM

sladewillson you clearly aint from baltimore. clown

19. joeflaccoallday says: Jul 22, 2014 6:34 PM

The first person to comment on this is stupid. You know damn well he ain’t getting 8 games. 2-4 tops and I’m leaning more too 2 now.

20. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 22, 2014 6:35 PM

brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says:
    Jul 22, 2014 6:23 PM

Its best to see what happens before you speak that way you don’t end up with foot in mouth disease like so many others get in here.

21. themeccalambeaufield says: Jul 22, 2014 6:37 PM

joeflaccoallday says:
    Jul 22, 2014 6:34 PM

Out of touch with reality!

22. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 22, 2014 6:45 PM

ANSWER: baltimore ravens

23. jimmy53 says: Jul 22, 2014 6:55 PM

The commenter was talking about what a “fair” and judicious” suspension would be–not necessarily what he was going to get.

Truthfully, if it was “fair” and “judicious” he’d be out the season while he attended anger management and spouse abuse prevention training, but that’s an idealistic thought.

He’ll probably get 1-2 games…

24. Stiller43 says: Jul 22, 2014 7:00 PM

Funny how everyone who’s not a ravens fan + some (classy) ravens fans on here think it should be half-whole season, and the typical baltimore fan goesl “ohh the muscle bound 215 pound manly man was just defending himself against the 115 pound HERCULES STRONG girl!! Totally okay.”

Its like youve lose all sense of whats right and wrong when something happens with someone who wears black/purple and plays football

25. melikefootball says: Jul 22, 2014 7:01 PM

five arrest nothing done by a supposedly class team plus where is Gödel hiding.

26. scw1993 says: Jul 22, 2014 7:06 PM

Speaks volumes about raven fans when they defend this criminal for beating his wife. You never put your hands on a woman. Newsome should have cut rice immediately, no class, worst organization in sports, when you condone the beating of a woman. You fans may not want to think of it in those terms, but everyone else is.

27. honkerdawg says: Jul 22, 2014 7:17 PM

1 Year!

28. denverdude7 says: Jul 22, 2014 7:19 PM

Boot this bum to the curb for 2 years. That might be enough time to get it through to him to never strike a woman.

29. jmblosser82 says: Jul 22, 2014 7:23 PM

nattypoes, there is always a way to defuse an attack without violence. In this case there is very little doubt Rice has the strength advantage and could’ve handled it differently.

30. Gordon says: Jul 22, 2014 7:27 PM

If the league really took this behavior seriously, he’d be suspended for a year, minimum.

31. dwhcic says: Jul 22, 2014 7:32 PM

Baltimoron Ravens, classless organization full of criminals.

32. jimmyjames65 says: Jul 22, 2014 7:41 PM

Never marry for the children, Ray.

33. trubblman says: Jul 22, 2014 7:47 PM

doctorrustbelt says:
    Jul 22, 2014 6:45 PM

ANSWER: baltimore ravens
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ravens -> Redskins ->Patriots -> Redskins

34. kcflake says: Jul 22, 2014 8:05 PM

Did you see the video? Kick ray rice out of the league.

35. bigperm33 says: Jul 22, 2014 8:14 PM

Why hasn’t there been a decision yet? I dont understand why it takes the NFL under this commissioner to do anything in any sort of timely fashion? I am not a Rice or a Ravens fan, but don’t you think they should know what the punishment should be? What is Goodell waiting for? And from a league standpoint, wouldn’t you want to deal with bad PR stories as quickly as possible instead of letting them linger? Goodell is exhibit A in any case trying to prove that just because someone reaches a high level does not make that person intelligent or competent. Sometimes, it just happens.

36. mrlaloosh says: Jul 22, 2014 8:18 PM

Dies this franchise have no shame? Ray Lewis and now this clown who beats on women? How about a little outrage, Hairbow…..

37. proudblack says: Jul 22, 2014 8:21 PM

2 games, nothing more

38. drlecter says: Jul 22, 2014 8:22 PM

Third-degree aggravated assault is all he was charged with and all he will be punished for. No one on this site knows what happened that night. All that video shows is Rice pushing/shoving/helping/carrying/dumping/assisting his fiance off of an elevator. He may have hit her or she may have been passed out drunk. Only two people know.

1 game suspension.

39. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 22, 2014 8:47 PM

Looks like a few commenters need a life lesson.

Your fiancé is hitting you. You are much stronger. She’s a woman and you are a man. What do you do?

a) Use your much stronger body to restrain her.

or

b) Punch her in the face and knock her out.

The correct answer for a real man is the first choice. What are the chances that the first time he ever assaulted a woman was captured on camera? Hopefully, he gets the help he needs

40. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 22, 2014 9:11 PM

If it were up to John I’m sure “fair” and “judicious” would be to miss the pre-season games. That would teach him to not go around beating on women.

41. 11whodey says: Jul 22, 2014 9:13 PM

Doesn’t matter how long it is, 8-8 team at best even if he had a full season.

42. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 22, 2014 9:14 PM

Ray Lewis was convicted of obstruction of justice in a murder case (in which his actions directly led to the likely-murderer to go free) and he only got four games right? So slugging your girlfriend/wife would probably not be more than four games from the NFL.

I may be wrong. Do you know how many games Lewis got for that?

The bad thing for Rice is the NFL may be inclined to give him a longer suspension since Kluwe came out yesterday and made those remarks about the NFL treating wife-beaters with more leniency than those failing a PED test.

43. brucealmty says: Jul 22, 2014 9:15 PM

Self defense; Time already served; No suspension.

44. ravensbob says: Jul 22, 2014 9:48 PM

Hopefully he gets 16 games. He is done, season suspension helps Ravens bottom line.

45. couchpotatodad says: Jul 22, 2014 10:05 PM

How many of us could withstand such intense scrutiny of the worst 30 seconds of our lives made public? I tend to believe Rice that this was an isolated incident. If he was lying about it, he would have been much smoother in his “press conference.” Anyone who saw it knows Rice was anything BUT smooth – he was mentally and verbally disheveled. That lends an air of credibility to him in my opinion.

46. hrdcorbengalsfan says: Jul 22, 2014 10:27 PM

Fair? What is fair when you sucker punch your wife?

47. footballchic777 says: Jul 22, 2014 10:37 PM

Yeah…… their idea of fair and judicious I’m sure is pretty slack.

48. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 23, 2014 2:12 AM

Fair and judicious. Fair would be that someone would knock him out (Timmons has my vote) and he would be dragged around like a humiliated ragdoll. Judicious would be to put this violent offender in jail.

49. watermelon1 says: Jul 23, 2014 5:28 AM

It’s ridiculous that it’s taking this long to suspend him.

It doesn’t matter how long because Rice was going to be replaced by the end of this season anyway.

50. RegisHawk says: Jul 23, 2014 6:12 AM

Translation: If Aldon Smith can get off with a wrist-slap, our guy should get even less.

51. patbetw says: Jul 23, 2014 6:22 AM

I’m a Ravens fan. I believe the reason the suspension hasn’t been handed down yet is something on the real video we haven’t seen. That given, if he did really punch her like we have been led to believe then full season should be the fine, like big Ben should have gotten for sexual assault. That being said I believe they will match Bens 4 games.

52. jacobk621 says: Jul 23, 2014 7:34 AM

Rice will probably receive a 6 game suspension and he’ll appeal and it will go to a 4 game suspension ,, end of story !!

53. hmink96 says: Jul 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Judging by these comments, I really hope I’m never in the situation depending on a jury of my peers…
    If it were up to you guys, we would just go ahead and send him to prison for life. People are making these crazy assumptions after seeing a blurry, one minute clip of a drunk person trying to get another drunk person off an elevator.

54. troy43mvp says: Jul 23, 2014 8:48 AM

I don’t care if he plays or not because he stunk last year anyway, not even a threat on the field. He should however have quite a few game checks taken away. It’s a unique case. Usually the NFL predators don’t have video coverage of them dragging their prey out of an elevator. Unique indeed.

55. swannyfootball says: Jul 23, 2014 10:49 AM

If Gordon gets a full season for smoking weed than that piece of trash Rice should be banned for life for beating the hell out of his wife in public.

Of course I’m fully prepared for the NFL’s hypocrisy…

56. bunkmcnulty says: Jul 23, 2014 12:56 PM

I think it was in Junior High School I learned about not using sweeping generalizations. Judging by the posts above, many of you must have missed those lessons.

RR should be punished to the full extent of the law, to which he has reached a deal with the State of NJ regarding this assault. He should be punished as the league sees fit. He is waiting to hear the leagues course next.

Is it right for any man to hit a woman? Of course not. But some of you in judgement here…oh my. I’d love to see your worst moments ever for everyone to see. Don’t interpret this wrong. I have no sympathy for RR. I do have disdain for people making comments and accusations they have no ability to back up.

57. sbchampsagain says: Jul 23, 2014 2:36 PM

Still no suspension? I think the tape shows more to the story…NFL is sorting our a mess..,.

58. Ed Bandell says: Jul 23, 2014 4:53 PM

doctorrustbelt says: Jul 22, 2014 6:45 PM

“QUESTION: Name what team signed donte stallworth after a drunk and stoned stallworth killed a guy after running over him on the MacArthur Causeway in Miami?!?

ANSWER: baltimore ravens”

Question: Name which TWO TEAMS signed him after the Ravens did.

ANSWER: Washington Redskins and New England Patriots.

59. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 24, 2014 7:32 AM

Let me help you with a question. Do innocent people plead for pretrial intervention to prevent embarrassing details to see the light of day? I have pointed this out to you before, but your homer slant won’t let it sink in. Let the Ravens determine the punishment and show the women of Baltimore their support against abuse?