Reports: Former Cowboys RB Robert Newhouse passes away at 64

Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

Robert Newhouse, a running back and fullback for the Cowboys from 1972 through 1983, died Tuesday after a bout with heart disease, multiple media outlets reported Tuesday.

A second-round pick out of Houston, Newhouse rushed for 4,784 yards and 29 touchdowns in his 12 seasons with Dallas. He started in three Super Bowls for the Cowboys, and he capped the club’s 27-10 victory vs. Denver in Super Bowl XII with a 29-yard fourth-quarter TD pass to Golden Richards.

“House was a great football player,” Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach said of Newhouse, according to Fox 4 in Dallas-Fort Worth. “Off the field, he was a great man, kind and caring, solid as a rock.”

According to published reports, Newhouse is survived by his wife and four children.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
39 Responses to “Reports: Former Cowboys RB Robert Newhouse passes away at 64”
  1. aa1829 says: Jul 22, 2014 11:44 PM

Bummer. For those of you too young to remember this guy, he was a football player through and through. Condolences and RIP from Packer nation.

2. middy8484 says: Jul 22, 2014 11:57 PM

Great football player and good guy. Not a cowboy fan but he ran over the Rams in the 70’s. RIP Sir.

3. oldcracker says: Jul 23, 2014 12:17 AM

RIP, Mr. Newhouse.

4. pooflingingmonkey says: Jul 23, 2014 12:18 AM

RIP

Newhouse was a beast, and I mean that in the best possible way.

5. Brinke says: Jul 23, 2014 12:24 AM

RIP. Great player, totally underrated.

6. iamjoshgordonswastedlife says: Jul 23, 2014 12:26 AM

I remember as a kid hearing Pat Summerall’s call as Staubach would hand the ball off to either the hard running of Tony Dorsett or Robert Newhouse. The C’boys are a train wreck on and off the field compared to Landry’s team of the 60’s and 70’s.
    Another solid football player and person passes. Thank you for your great play Mr. Newhouse, you’re one of the reasons why I became a fan of the NFL.

7. joestemme says: Jul 23, 2014 12:28 AM

R.I.P. Robert Newhouse. Tough hard-nosed player. Lasted 12 years at Fullback. You won’t be seeing that again anytime soon.

8. pisano says: Jul 23, 2014 12:35 AM

A great back, tough as nails. R.I.P.

9. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 23, 2014 12:50 AM

Very sad — Newhouse was always a really classy baller, and much worthy of respect. Sincere condolences to his wife and four children (and Cowboy Nation too).

10. sonoco says: Jul 23, 2014 1:13 AM

I remember back in the 70’s playing Pop Warner everybody wanted their thigh pads to bulge like Newhouse. He had the signature FB look . . . huge legs and a neck-roll.

RIP Sir

11. purplepillager says: Jul 23, 2014 1:17 AM

R.I.P. Robert. You were an awesome fullback. Back in 1978, I positioned you and Tony in the I-formation on my Tudor Electric Football set against my Vikings numerous times. It never got old.

64 is too young. God bless you and your family, Robert.

12. 93warchant says: Jul 23, 2014 1:21 AM

I remember Robert when I was a kid having the biggest thighs I seen on a NFL player. From a 49er fan to the “House” R.I.P.

13. spytdi says: Jul 23, 2014 1:36 AM

I feel for his family.

14. sisqsage says: Jul 23, 2014 1:37 AM

I fell in love with the NFL as a kid in the 70s and I remember this guy vividly with the Cowboys. He could do anything on a football field. Seemed like a great team player and a coach’s dream. Humble and versatile. The perfect player for coach Landry.

15. daaabears says: Jul 23, 2014 1:42 AM

Sad. RIP Robert Newhouse.

16. snakeiz says: Jul 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Never been a Cowboy fan.I remember him from my early teens.From everything I can recall he was pure class.Quality on and off the field.May God rest his soul.

17. wisbadgfan says: Jul 23, 2014 2:17 AM

Robert Newhouse was a very solid performer on the football field. He was a team player and a great guy to have on the team.

Very sorry to hear of his passing—–RIP.

18. jetsfan67 says: Jul 23, 2014 3:19 AM

R.I.P

19. kenwoodkid67 says: Jul 23, 2014 3:26 AM

Robert Newhouse was the man rest in peace #44 Cowboy’s since 72.

20. finz4eva says: Jul 23, 2014 4:20 AM

Sad to hear, he was a helluva player.

21. bucsorbust says: Jul 23, 2014 4:38 AM

A very sad day; condolences to his family. I remember watching Newhouse as a kid and the media always commented on his stout build and powerful legs. He was fun to watch, a great athlete and team player. Thanks for the memories, Robert. R.I.P.

22. joetoronto says: Jul 23, 2014 5:05 AM

Way too young, I used to love watching him pound the rock.

RIP.

23. wnstonchill says: Jul 23, 2014 6:05 AM

“The Human Bowling Ball”…… A great champion on and off the field!
    God rest your soul.

24. howleyesque says: Jul 23, 2014 6:06 AM

RIP Mr Newhouse and thank you for being one of the best Cowboys’ players of all time. I LOVED watching you and Tony (TD) Dorsett.

25. dirtydrynn27 says: Jul 23, 2014 6:49 AM

RIP Robert!!!! Coming from a Redskins fan…..

26. billswillnevermove says: Jul 23, 2014 6:55 AM

RIP……..I remember his playing days. Solid football player and seemed like a solid guy off the field as well.

27. bowltr says: Jul 23, 2014 6:57 AM

As a kid growing up in Boston the Cowboys are among my first memories of football. I was and still am a big Tony Dorsett fan and this is the guy that help TD make the HOF. I won’t forget how hard he played and his contributions to the Cowboys.

RIP…………Robert Newhouse and thanks for the memories!

28. tennesseeoilers says: Jul 23, 2014 7:16 AM

Never liked the Cowboys but I always respected Newhouse. He was the real deal.

29. chris1cat says: Jul 23, 2014 7:16 AM

As a young boy I remember watching him, what I do remember most were his thighs. They were bigger than Earl Campbell’s.

30. karla36 says: Jul 23, 2014 7:27 AM

RIP Robert!!

31. sportstalkprofessional says: Jul 23, 2014 8:00 AM

R.I.P. 44

32. tomthebombtracy says: Jul 23, 2014 8:02 AM

I should not drive myself crazy thinking of this but I often wonder if on s parallel planet the Steelers drafted Newhouse in 72 instead of Franco…..would the team results be the same? Tbey wete split on ybe 2 in the draft room. Would Archie Manning have been an HOFer with a contending team?

Look at Terry Bradsaw and Lynn Swann stats! Very pedestrian. But they were surrounded by others. Rising tides float all boats.

33. qdog112 says: Jul 23, 2014 9:23 AM

Rest in Peace, Mr. Newhouse.

34. slick50ks says: Jul 23, 2014 11:17 AM

Not only was he a bruising back, he could throw a nice looking pass as well.

RIP, gone too soon.

35. stoptrippn says: Jul 23, 2014 11:21 AM

Great Teammate. Humble!

36. themightywhitey says: Jul 23, 2014 11:49 AM

chucked the most PERFECT pass in Super Bowl history …..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. alterna63 says: Jul 23, 2014 12:15 PM

This was a time that I had pride in rooting for the Cowboys. This was a time when they were the team to root for. Sad to hear of his passing. Seemed to be an awesome individual. R.I.P. Mr. Newhouse. You made a difference!

38. electricfootballlivesmfcaforum says: Jul 23, 2014 9:37 PM

To play tag along with purplepillager…Im gonna line up the old Electric Football game tonight and have an all Robert Newhouse game. 45 yrs. old and still playing the game to relive great memories like those of Mr. Newhouse. RIP Robert Newhouse. RIP Ron Springs.

39. 44 management says: Jul 26, 2014 11:59 AM

I have been following PFT for quite some time now, and NEVER have I such an outpouring of POSITIVE comments for any one story!

I truly appreciate all of your gracious comments!

My…OUR father was a great man and will undoubtedly be missed!

R. Newhouse