Bernard Pierce cleared to practice without restrictions

Bernard Pierce AP

The Ravens are expecting the league to be fair when it comes to discipline for running back Ray Rice in the wake of his offseason arrest for assaulting his wife in Atlantic City, but there aren’t many people who expect that Rice will be available for use in the opening weeks of the season.

Assuming that’s the case, there’s a big job waiting for Bernard Pierce if he’s healthy enough to take it after offseason shoulder surgery. Pierce made good progress during the offseason and that has continued into the summer with Pierce announcing that he’s been cleared to take part in practice without any restrictions.

“My shoulder definitely got a lot better,” Pierce said, via the Baltimore Sun. “I know that this is when the real grind starts. It was strenuous today, but overall it was definitely helpful.”

Pierce’s 2013 season was a nightmare of injuries and ineffectiveness, but he sounded optimistic that the change in offensive coordinators will pay off with better results this time around. Pierce said he has “a knack” for the “simpler” zone scheme that Gary Kubiak prefers to run. After the Ravens offense failed to catch fire last season, the team will be hoping that Pierce’s knack for the offense translates to the kind of results they’ll need to return to the playoffs.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Bernard Pierce cleared to practice without restrictions”
  1. sladewillson says: Jul 23, 2014 9:57 AM

This is good news he should

2. 2blingluvinit says: Jul 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Even as a Raven’s fan I have to say Well…we’ll see.

3. mrsingh24 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:39 AM

I’m a big Ravens fan but i seriously cannot stand Ray Rice anymore. The NFL tolerates a lot but as a fan, there’s just so much you can tolerate. I sincerely hope Bernard Pierce can take over the leading back role.

4. guitarkevin says: Jul 23, 2014 10:57 AM

I like our guys. Pierce can handle the rock while Rice rides the pine.

5. Steeley McBeam says: Jul 23, 2014 10:57 AM

That running game looks dreadful right now.

6. dontstabmeray says: Jul 23, 2014 11:17 AM

The 3rd place Ravens will have to rely on their passing game this year. That’s a scary thought.

7. deathonwings410 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:19 AM

Bernard Pierce will fit into Kubiak’s system better than Rice…but that’s none of my business (Kermit the Frog voice).

8. camcameronsucks says: Jul 23, 2014 12:09 PM

If Bernard Pierce can stay healthy, and Ray Rice gets suspended for 4+ games, I can see him taking over the #1 back job for the entire season.

9. patbetw says: Jul 23, 2014 12:42 PM

This is the NFL. Without depth you get nowhere. With or without Rice Pierce is needed to step up this year.

10. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Jul 23, 2014 2:39 PM

Pierce: wait and see. Rice: lost value and credibility around town and throughout the league. Ravens run game: we’ll see.

11. sbchampsagain says: Jul 23, 2014 2:53 PM

Last year Rice had a hip flexor problem, Pierce had a torn rotator cuff and the offensive line had Gino Gradkowski makign the OL calls.

Both RBs are healthy and the OL should be improved. I expect better things for the ravens running game this year.

12. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 23, 2014 8:03 PM

I don’t know if I’d say he’s playing without restrictions, his outta-shapedness has to be a little restrictive.

13. Canton Bulldogs says: Jul 23, 2014 11:32 PM

He’s worked so hard he’s back to his rookie weight. I wouldn’t say that’s being out of shape. It was his shoulder, not a leg, and being unrestricted means he’s cleared for full contact. Good try though.