Charles deal is worth $28 million over four years

Kansas City Chiefs v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles was planning to hold out from training camp unless he wasn’t.  In the end, it didn’t matter; Charles signed a new contract that will pay him, per a league source, $28 million over four years.

“Jamaal is an elite player in the National Football League,” Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey said in announcing the deal. “It was important for us to keep him here in Kansas City long-term.”

Multiple reports have characterized Charles as moving to No. 2 on the running back compensation list, behind only Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.  The truth, according to one source, is that Charles has finagled the second highest new-money average, with the two extra years adding another $18.1 million to the existing two-year deal.

That’s a new-money average of $9.05 million.

That 0.05 become critical to the analysis and was hardly a coincidence, given that Eagles running back LeSean McCoy averages $9 million per year on a five-year, $45 million deal.  Likewise, Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams received $27 million over three years under a five-year, $43 million contract he signed in 2011.

Without knowing the money fully guaranteed at signing — because it hasn’t been leaked yet it’s likely not near the top of any league-wide lists — it’s impossible to know how much Charles actually will get.  His 2014 pay moves from $3.9 million to $8.3 million, a raise of $4.4 million.  Instead of making $6 million in 2015, he’ll make $6.7 million.

That’s $15 million over two.  Over three, it’s $21 million.  Play all four and he gets $28 million.

The full structure of the deal will shed more light on how much more money Charles actually is getting, beyond his $4.4 million raise for 2014.  But he’s not currently the second highest-paid running back in the NFL, not with an annual average on his full contract of $7 million.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Charles deal is worth $28 million over four years”
  1. thepftpoet says: Jul 23, 2014 9:56 PM

Top 5 RB’s in the NFL :

1. Adrian Peterson
    2. Jamaal Charles
    3. Lesean McCoy
    4. Matt Forte
    5. Arian Foster

2. computojon says: Jul 23, 2014 9:59 PM

In an NFL contract, the only real money is guaranteed money. And I don’t mean “guaranteed in case of injury”. I mean guaranteed, period.

The rest is just part of the NFL PR scam that is perpetuated over and over and over again.

3. whatjusthapped says: Jul 23, 2014 9:59 PM

I know Peterson is way overpaid but this is a close second.

4. silverandblack052099 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:00 PM

The Chiefs caved!

5. dalcow4 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:01 PM

Good for him. Get all you can– because they will cut you as soon as they can.

6. raiderapologist says: Jul 23, 2014 10:05 PM

They will run his wheels off, then pretend they never knew him.

7. MikeisWise says: Jul 23, 2014 10:08 PM

Still don’t know what the Panthers were thinking.

8. smackingfools says: Jul 23, 2014 10:08 PM

Can the team hold out next season if he has a down year??

9. restorativejusticeprogram says: Jul 23, 2014 10:10 PM

Poor use of money in today’s NFL.

10. beerbudsnbevo says: Jul 23, 2014 10:13 PM

Hook Em Horns

11. pilot2011 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:25 PM

When did Marty Hurney become GM of the Chiefs?

12. couldntdodiddlypoo says: Jul 23, 2014 10:31 PM

Chiefs have had a steady stream of magnificent running backs over the years and agree JC is elite.

But the last running back to win SB MVP was Terrell Davis 15 years ago, so it seems as though it’s really a QB/WR or defense driven league until proven otherwise.

13. mazenblue says: Jul 23, 2014 10:34 PM

Cool, I’m still poor as dirt compared to that. I contribute to society tho, thats my problem.

14. kd75 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:34 PM

“Paging Coach Reid. Coach Andy Reid…The Neurologist will see you now.”

15. sportsbastard says: Jul 23, 2014 10:50 PM

I’d rather have McCoy.

16. haleyistheman00 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:58 PM

Ok

17. blackbug99 says: Jul 23, 2014 10:59 PM

It’s always a gamble…..Ugh, Hayworthless! But, time will tell.

18. liontuss says: Jul 23, 2014 11:01 PM

Now I have to be a certified public account, lawyer and statistician in order to be a *true* NFL fan. Good for Charles, but I can`t wait for real football. This off-season, with all of it`s salary cap mumbo jumbo that nobody really understands, along with progressively more complicated salary structures, has been the longest I can remember.

I want real football games right now.

19. johninthewest says: Jul 23, 2014 11:02 PM

No way he’ll make it 4 years.. this back is too injury prone. I bet he only plays 7-10 games this upcoming year.

20. thefiesty1 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:03 PM

Good job Jamaal!

21. dodohead418 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:29 PM

He deserved it!

22. shyts7 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:29 PM

Whatever it comes out to be, Chiefs fans are just glad that he is going to be in KC for the foreseeable future. Charles is about to break Priest Holmes’ record for KC rushing yards. With Charles having really only played 3 1/2 years out of 6, he still has a lot of yards left in him.

23. rawdog2013 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:31 PM

Well, unless our defense improves dramatically I’ll look forward to booing him in the black hole, after he scores.

4 more years of this guy….

24. erarey64 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:46 PM

Well that’s good. Guess I don’t have to change my keeper.

25. mauicat1 says: Jul 23, 2014 11:53 PM

A class act and worth every penny. This shows the confidence the Chiefs have in Charles. He has proven his worth and isn’t done yet.

26. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jul 24, 2014 2:16 AM

Yep

27. cjweber5187 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:51 AM

These dudes are holding out because their millions don’t match up and I’m over here like “can I get 75k?”.

28. ccjcsr says: Jul 24, 2014 7:34 AM

Good for him!

Top 3 back in the NFL!

29. eaglesw00t says: Jul 24, 2014 7:35 AM

I was actually expecting him to get more than an average of $7.

I dont want to hear that its $9 because its new money…he is getting 6.7 this year, and 8.3 next year.

Then he turns 31. So in all likelihood, he wont see the 3rd or 4th year.

Im glad he got more though. He is definitely elite, and a top 5 back in the NFL. As much as Reid called his number last year, and as much offense as he accounted for (31% I think?) I do believe he is worth every penny of that contract. I guess its good that everyone involved in the situation is happy, because they need free cash to keep Alex Smith. And he is a guy KC shouldnt let walk.

30. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 24, 2014 8:06 AM

Regardless of where he falls on the list, getting an extra 4.4 million for this year alone is a victory. May not be a ton of money in NFL terms, but it is in real life.

31. scrummymustard says: Jul 24, 2014 8:16 AM

I’m still laughing at the contracts given to deangelo Williams and jonathan stewart.

Well done Carolina.

32. boomnutz says: Jul 24, 2014 8:51 AM

I gotta say it seems like a fair deal but at the same time I’m really glad the Patriots don’t dish out this kind of money to running backs. They just seem so complimentary in today’s NFL (w/ the exception of AP)

In that same vein, man I’m glad I’m not a running back. They may take the most punishment on the field and yet their shelf life is small and their window to earn minimal.

33. workin4theweekend says: Jul 24, 2014 8:53 AM

Giving a four year extension to an RB in his 7th season, who has had injury issues, and a ton of wear and tear? This should work out great!

34. notthetroll says: Jul 24, 2014 9:24 AM

He’s one of a handful of RBs that can’t be easily replaced in the NFL.

35. natelan says: Jul 24, 2014 10:21 AM

As a Chargers fan, I congratulate Charles for getting paid while the iron was hot, instead of playing the “nice guy” card which invariably results in being cut or injured before your next big pay day can come to fruition.

Teams don’t care about their players’ well-being or fair compensation, so why should players be concerned about a team’s bankroll or cap space?

Lastly, wise move by the Chiefs to act so swiftly. Now Charles won’t miss any training time.

36. jtbsteeler says: Jul 24, 2014 10:34 AM

This is why the Chiefs are perennial losers.