Sidney Rice thanks the Seahawks on the way out the door

Sidney Rice AP

Sidney Rice stepped away from the NFL at age 27 today, but he said he wants to make sure Seattle knows he’s not going anywhere.

“After careful consideration and seven wonderful years playing in the National Football League, including the last three for the Seattle Seahawks, I have decided to retire from playing in the National Football League,” Rice said in a statement released by the team. “I have enjoyed my experiences with all of my coaches, teammates and passionate Seahawks fans. I take great pride in knowing I was one of the players signed to help build the foundation of the team that ultimately won the Super Bowl. I’ll be joining the 12s in support of the Seattle Seahawks as they take on the challenge to repeat. I appreciate all of the wonderful opportunities and look forward to establishing myself as a businessman. I will always be a Seahawk!”

Rice has invested his money back into his market, as he opened the first of five chicken-wing restaurants in June.

That kind of responsibility is part of the reason the Seahawks had such a response to Rice, who missed the second half of last season with a torn ACL.

“The entire organization would like to thank Sidney for his leadership over the past three seasons,” said General Manager John Schneider said. “His time as a Seahawks player displayed the core values that Pete and I aimed to bring to the program and Sidney is a true champion. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”

Rice wasn’t a certainty to make the Seahawks roster this season, but he has clearly taken the steps to establish himself for the much longer career of being a retired football player, and done it the right way.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
42 Responses to “Sidney Rice thanks the Seahawks on the way out the door”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Jul 23, 2014 4:33 PM

He thanks them for the endless PEDs and Aderall supplies. #SeattleisNorthJamaica

2. Marshawn Lunch says: Jul 23, 2014 4:37 PM

Rice has been a high quality influence on this Seahawks team. Many people like to pretend that he was made of glass or that he didn’t give the game his all. He put everything he had into being a Seahawk and for that I thank him. Now, let’s eat some wings!

3. doubleogator says: Jul 23, 2014 4:39 PM

other NFL players should take note on how to plan for life after football…

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 23, 2014 4:41 PM

Nice playbook he’s operating from.

5. jimmysee says: Jul 23, 2014 4:42 PM

Waytogo, Sidney — Magic Johnson could be a great mentor.

6. 509seahawks says: Jul 23, 2014 4:43 PM

I still love watching that clip when Sydney burned New England’s DB’s and caught that bomb from Russell Wilson. Good luck and go hawks!

7. rosloe62 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:44 PM

Hate the Seahawks, but love Wing Stop! Good Luck!

8. tommymomoney says: Jul 23, 2014 4:44 PM

Wouldn’t be a PFT Seahawks post without a bunch of Viking and 9er trolls rolling through.

9. shatho1 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:48 PM

the empire starts to fall

10. laserw says: Jul 23, 2014 4:48 PM

Have a nice life.

There are some pro football organizations that follow the rules and are ethical and are above reproach.

Sadly, the Seattle Seahags doesn’t even come close to rising above average.

I wish them much failure. If they decide to follow drug policies and not seek to game them, I’ll resume liking them, but we cannot allow miscreants like this organization to succeed while flaunting the rules.

11. bzeller says: Jul 23, 2014 4:49 PM

His best years were as a Viking …….but then again most Sea chicken players will be saying that eventually

12. rodgersheisjolly says: Jul 23, 2014 4:50 PM

As a high priced free agent, he was a bust. Vikings were right to let him go.

13. c1md6 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:50 PM

He will “always be a Seahawk” but it was purple number 4 that gave him his bank account.

14. littlejameslee says: Jul 23, 2014 4:53 PM

Worst hashtag of the year #SeattleisNorthJamaica
    Someone is obviously still butt hurt about “the tip” #YouMadBro

15. granadafan says: Jul 23, 2014 4:54 PM

As a 49ers fan, I can respect a player’s willingness to walk away from the game on his own decision. I have even more respect that he’s (hopefully) invested his money wisely and won’t be broke. 27 years old is awfully young to retire, but more power to him if his passion is off the field.

16. mallet22 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:59 PM

Sid is all class. Tons of talent…too bad he couldn’t stay on the field.

17. 22yearsagotoday says: Jul 23, 2014 5:02 PM

Perhaps the key to retiring without serious brain injury is to limit the number of hits you take, especially the kind of jarring hits a receiver has to take. Good luck in the restaurant biz, Sidney!

18. tap79 says: Jul 23, 2014 5:07 PM

I never really counted Rice as being all that significant anyway… Also knowing that this would have been his last year no matter what.

I am thinking that he was starting to get the picture that Richardson was going to take his number 1 spot anyway so he wanted to go ahead and bow out now.

I loved Rice and I think he would have been a great mentor for the younger talent but I didnt see him being here as a huge impact and him leaving now isnt really going to effect the line up as it is.

Won a superbowl last year without him we will do again this year.

19. gashmr says: Jul 23, 2014 5:16 PM

He is a class act. He never made bad press. he went out with a ring.

Good luck. And thanks for all the hard work as a Seahawk.

20. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jul 23, 2014 5:20 PM

I think this is one of the former Vikings scandal guys that Kluwe is about to implicate…

21. GenXJay says: Jul 23, 2014 5:22 PM

good luck in retirement, jerry.

22. patfic5 says: Jul 23, 2014 5:24 PM

Thanks for that fantasy championship back in your Viking days. Last second score from Favre against Chicago put you in our HOF…..and more importantly, $$$ in my bank account.

23. wizbanginhumdinger says: Jul 23, 2014 5:27 PM

Well,…you’ve got to respect that.

Good Luck to you Mr. Rice.

24. hauts81 says: Jul 23, 2014 5:29 PM

No love for Minny, Sidney? You could have at least thanked Favre and AD for helping you get paid.

25. RegisHawk says: Jul 23, 2014 5:30 PM

The Pats play was good…I also liked the scramble drill where he scored against the Cards in AZ last year. Play was breaking down and he and RW were still in synch enough to pull that off.

26. omeimontis says: Jul 23, 2014 5:34 PM

He thanks the Seahawks for cutting him soon after the Super Bowl and then re-signing him for chicken feed.

27. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 23, 2014 5:52 PM

He was all Seahawk. He has a World Championship and a very special ring.

I doubt he will ever mention the vikings despite the fact that he was the only viking in the last 10 seasons to have a 1000 yard receiving season (once in 2009). The viking followers are bashing their best receiver in 10 years!!

My guess is the injury was worse than originally thought. He could probably play for lesser teams but they wouldn’t be the World Champion Seahawks. He doesn’t want to get frustrated playing for a crappy team again so he retired; content.

28. bcstarks13 says: Jul 23, 2014 6:06 PM

Sidney Rice = Javon Walker 2.0
    Favre made them both better than they actually were. Happy trails!!!

29. sw19womble says: Jul 23, 2014 6:23 PM

Can’t blame him. Chicken and Rice go so well together.

30. floratiotime says: Jul 23, 2014 6:35 PM

Joining the 12s? I didn’t know he was a fan of Texas A&M.

31. higheriqthanyou says: Jul 23, 2014 7:34 PM

Wow, break out the tissues.

Lots of crying Viking in Niner fans.

WE are the Superbowl champs – live with it.

And Rice, as a proud athlete and the #1 receiver at the beginning of our Superbowl year, realized he wouldn’t even make the team with the massive receiver upgrade.

But don’t worry SF, your defensive backfield, which took a step backwards, will likely be “just fine” (cough, cough).

32. drwbrsdmndsnxplntn says: Jul 23, 2014 8:39 PM

They paid him 40 million for 3 years of being hurt. He FLEECED the she-hawks. It’s not even up for debate, Favre made him in ’09, he went west and cashed in, he played like 4 games for you guys but the way you guys are talking about him you might as well retire #18 lolzorz!!

Just more leftovers from seattles man crush on Minneapolis.

33. ketch20too says: Jul 23, 2014 9:41 PM

Good luck to him. Gave it everything on the field. Seattle’s offensive decline last year coincided with Rice’s injury. Hopefully, will see him as coach somewhere some day.

34. smackingfools says: Jul 23, 2014 10:14 PM

He was a beast in college.

35. kimbo71006 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:37 AM

I wish they would use a different term other than retire.

You “retire” once you’ve put in the years into a company, job, organization, etc.

You don’t “retire” at 27 from football that you’ve only been playing a few years.

Its disrespect to those hard workers who have actually “worked” for 20-30 years at a single profession and then actually retired.

36. darallman says: Jul 24, 2014 8:35 AM

From here in the Country of Panama…And a 12th man fan. I wear my #12 with pride. As I do my Superbowl Champ jersey.

Deal with it, 9’ers. Seattle has a huge following in this country. Didn’t see one 9’ers shirt last year. It’s because we have too much class for S.F.

Can you say “Repeat.”

37. rick359 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:05 PM

Sorry to see him go, was looking forward too a healthy Sidney Rice on the field. I don’t think he really got a chance to show how good he was, injuries took their toll.

Hawks are still in great shape for WR, Percy ready to play, Kearse and Baldwin and Richardson and a few other new guys in the mix…

As long as Russell Wilson is at the helm I think we are good!

Can Pre-season at least start now?! lol
    Go Hawks!

38. rick359 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:11 PM

Oh yeah

Best Wishes to you Mr. Rice!

Good luck on your Wing’s franchises!

39. bkwmn says: Jul 24, 2014 3:50 PM

Best to you Sid! We 12’s are proud to have you as one of our own! I will miss your enthusiasm and constant smile at the games!!! You are a great role model and I am very thankful you are staying in the Seattle area!

40. jeffl0726 says: Jul 24, 2014 4:01 PM

“Have a nice life.

Sadly, the Seattle Seahags doesn’t even come close to rising above average.

I wish them much failure. If they decide to follow drug policies and not seek to game them, I’ll resume liking them, but we cannot allow miscreants like this organization to succeed while flaunting the rules”

Uhm, Laser W – who are these teams above reproach?

41. bkwmn says: Jul 24, 2014 4:05 PM

jefflo726
    Funny. I see a bunch of suspensions being given this spring. But not one has been for a Seattle Seahawk. Sure would like to know where you get your “information” from?

42. jeffl0726 says: Jul 24, 2014 4:17 PM

Hey bkwmn,

sorry I wasn’t clear, I was quoting a previous response and asking question about these teams ‘above reproach’ he referred to. I’m a Hawks fan and I get tired of seeing all these comments when, well, what you said…I haven’t seen any Hawks suspended this off season.

Also, I unintentionally reported your comment, I thought it was the reply button. My apologies