Trestman: Jordan Palmer will get first run at top backup QB job

Jordan Palmer AP

The eldest of the Bears’ backup quarterback options will get the initial shot at being the top reserve behind Jay Cutler.

Coach Mark Trestman indicated Wednesday that Jordan Palmer will have the first opportunity at the club’s second-team reps, the Bears’ official Twitter feed reported.

The 30-year-old Palmer has not played in an NFL regular season game since 2010. However, he has the most experience in the Bears’ scheme after re-signing with the club last October.

Sixth-round pick David Fales and ex-Panther Jimmy Clausen are the other competitors to replace Josh McCown as Cutler’s top backup. McCown starred in extended relief work a season ago, earning a starting job with Tampa Bay.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Trestman: Jordan Palmer will get first run at top backup QB job”
  1. firerogergoodell says: Jul 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Lol Jimmy Clausen? I thought he was long gone from the league.

2. johnnyjagfan says: Jul 23, 2014 4:20 PM

Jordan couldn’t beat out Henne for the #2 gig behind Gabbert. Just sayin’.

3. coachkilla6 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:21 PM

Bears backup QB’s > Vikings starting QB(s).

And it’s not even close.

4. bassplucker says: Jul 23, 2014 4:22 PM

I know Trestman is the QB Whisperer, but the thought of Jimmy Clausen as Cutler’s backup makes this Bears fan’s blood run cold. He made Blaine Gabbert look like Joe Montana when he was in Carolina.

5. klousbg01 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:25 PM

I wouldn’t go that far about Clausen…..
    Also, I could say the same thing about those other 2 QBS….didn’t know Palmer was still in the league, and I never even heard of the other guy.

6. larryboodry says: Jul 23, 2014 4:26 PM

I think it’ll be Palmer and Fales making the team out of camp.

7. lionsdraftguy says: Jul 23, 2014 4:30 PM

Dont tell Bears fans anything bad about Palmer, they think their whole roster is the best in the league. Some of those clowns even think Brandon Marshall is better than Calvin.

8. bassplucker says: Jul 23, 2014 4:32 PM

I think it’s pretty clear it’s an either/or situation between Clausen and Palmer. The only way I see them both sticking is if Trestman decides Fales isn’t a viable #3 at this point AND they think they can slip him through to the practice squad.

Even in that scenario, Clausen or Palmer as the #3 would be on thin ice subject to Fales’ development.

9. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Jul 23, 2014 4:37 PM

Kyle Orton is a free agent and I wouldn’t count him out of the competition. His wife really wanted to go back to Chicago, so it’s entirely possible he will take his neckbeard back to Halas Hall.

10. devtap3210 says: Jul 23, 2014 4:40 PM

Every football fan think their team is the best except Dallas and Raider fans. The Bears shut down Calvin no team can shutdown Brandon.

11. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says: Jul 23, 2014 4:44 PM

lionsdraftguy says:
    Jul 23, 2014 4:30 PM

__________________________________

He’s not better, but he is Damn close….keep crying Lions fool!!

12. bassplucker says: Jul 23, 2014 4:51 PM

wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says:Jul 23, 2014 4:37 PM

______

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Emery and Trestman are keeping tabs on Orton on the down-low. Money is clearly not driving Orton’s career decisions at this point, but a backup gig in Chicago may give him the best chance of getting a ring since… well… since he was there the first time.

13. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Check Jordan Palmer’s career stats and watch him in preseason and remind me again why Tebow is out of the league.

14. larryboodry says: Jul 23, 2014 5:08 PM

I thought I read that Orton planned to retire, but I could be wrong.

As for Marshall vs. Calvin, I don’t care that CJ puts up slightly better #s…I’d rather have Brandon on my team for what he’s done helping develop Jeffery and other young guys. And our offense will outperform Detroit’s offense by a mile.

15. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 23, 2014 5:11 PM

Palmer makes perfect sense. Afterall, the Bears need another backup QB that’s better than the starter.

16. ariani1985 says: Jul 23, 2014 5:13 PM

and I thought the Packers scraped the bottom of the barrell!!!

17. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says: Jul 23, 2014 5:28 PM

No bears fan think our roster is the best : the media, NFL network, espn and the rest of the intelligent NFL fanbase does…on offense only. 2nd best in the league last year. You can’t comprehend that cuz you’re a Lions fan and your jealousy and hatred cloud your brain.

18. mistrezzrachael says: Jul 23, 2014 6:04 PM

Cutler, better not get injured..pretty weak.

19. elmaxoh says: Jul 23, 2014 6:07 PM

Really ? Jordan Palmer ? Come on at least give a shoot to Fales …

20. rextraordinaire says: Jul 23, 2014 6:23 PM

I’d rather take someone who started a number of games and did poorly then barely played at all and still did poorly. Palmer has a whopping 15 career pass attempts. and he plays horrible in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd team defenses.

Clausen was awful when he started for the Panthers but at least he started, and has nearly 20 times as many pass attempts

21. swagjag says: Jul 23, 2014 6:32 PM

Perspective. Palmer couldn’t make a team with Gabbert and Henne on it.

22. fromundamahjunk says: Jul 23, 2014 7:26 PM

I’d take Marshall over Calvin, he’s become one helluva leader, and as was pointed out, he cannot be shut down. I’d take Cutler over Stafford in the coming year also. Cutler is coming into his own, Stafford seems just short of imploding.

23. calvinthegreat81 says: Jul 23, 2014 9:01 PM

Wow, so many delusional fans on here. Even comparing Marshall to Megatron is a joke. Calvin is one of the best wr of ALL time and Marshall is a good wr right now… Talk about clouded judgement. I hope all of you on here enjoy the lions sweep of the bears again this year just as much as I do!!!

24. hierosouls says: Jul 23, 2014 10:46 PM

Bear down!!!!

25. calvinthegreat82 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:16 PM

My twin Brother didn’t take his meds, please for give for being a classless Lions fan!

26. newtoallthis23 says: Jul 29, 2014 9:14 AM

Trestman=quarterback whisperer.

27. iowahbr says: Jul 30, 2014 1:02 PM

Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, please. At least the Bears will have a a better reason (too much Tebow hype and PR) when they miss the play-offs this year.