Da’Quan Bowers: I haven’t been the kind of player I know I can be

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers landed in the news earlier this week when he was involved in an altercation that left an early member of Destiny’s Child under arrest for disorderly conduct.

The Buccaneers would surely prefer that Bowers was landing in the headlines because of his exploits on the football field, but they have been few and far between during his three professional seasons. Bowers has compiled 5.5 sacks and multiple injury issues since the Bucs made him a second-round pick in 2011, leading coach Lovie Smith to say that Bowers had something to prove this season.

General Manager Jason Licht said something similar on Wednesday and Bowers agrees with both men.

“No question about it, I owe it to this organization, owe it to this team. I’ve been here long enough, and I haven’t really been that player that I know I can be,” Bowers said, via the Tampa Tribune. “I think it’s time I really put forth that extra foot, to be that player that I know I’m capable of being.”

Bowers also said he feels better physically than he’s felt coming into camp the last two years, something that will come in handy in the competition for snaps at a defensive end position that offers no guarantees for a player who is running out of chances in Tampa.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
10 Responses to “Da’Quan Bowers: I haven’t been the kind of player I know I can be”
  1. bassplucker says: Jul 24, 2014 9:06 AM

Between injuries, lack of production when healthy, and off-field stuff, this guy is skating on the thinnest of ice. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s gone before the regular season.

2. bucsfan21 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:18 AM

Unless this guys blows the roof off in camp I want him gone. All the talent in the world but cant stay healthy, and doesn’t seem to put in much effort when he is. Shape up or ship out. We need guys who want to work in Tampa Bay.

3. patriottony says: Jul 24, 2014 9:26 AM

As a SC resident, I watched both Bowers and Clowney. They are identical, in techinique. speed and what not. Clowney/Bowwers were both drafted at the VERY top the of the first round. Both have the same issue. they “CAN” go 1000% on a play and then take the next 6-8 off.
    The people thinking clowney is going to ROCK the NFL are sadly mistaken

4. vdogg says: Jul 24, 2014 9:29 AM

I’m sure all of the defensive off season acquisitions had nothing to do with this epiphany….plus I’m sure all the fans in Tampa are overjoyed to hear that he’s finally ready to start playing harder…

5. hyzers says: Jul 24, 2014 9:31 AM

Bust

6. whysomanylosers says: Jul 24, 2014 10:00 AM

Thankfully, Bowers was “only” a second round pick…. not an overall #1 pick that was originally predicted.

7. kehav1 says: Jul 24, 2014 10:09 AM

And sadly will probably never will be…

8. kinggator says: Jul 24, 2014 3:27 PM

He’s more of a “bust” than the drunk belligerent gal he called the police on last week who was drummed out of Destiny’s Child… SMH!!

9. raiderapologist says: Jul 24, 2014 8:33 PM

I’ll take “Things a Bust Says” for $200, Alex.

10. newtoallthis23 says: Jul 28, 2014 9:03 AM

No you haven’t sir, no you haven’t. But one great year could erase all of that so gone t there and play your but off.