2006 NFL Draft Getty Images

It’s long been known the late Bud Adams coveted Vince Young in the 2006 NFL Draft.

And the Titans’ owner was even willing to trade up to get his man.

Via ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky, ex-Titans G.M. Floyd Reese recalled Thursday how badly Adams wanted Young, who had led Texas to the national title months earlier.

“The night before he draft, [Adams] goes, ‘You gotta call New Orleans and trade up,'” Reese remembered Thursday in an interview with 104.5 FM “The Zone” in Nashville.

The Titans held the No. 3 pick, while the Saints had the second overall choice. And as Reese recalled, Adams believed Raiders owner Al Davis had designs on trading into New Orleans’ spot.

Reese, as the former Titans’ executive told “The Zone” on Thursday, couldn’t quite believe what he was hearing.

“I said, ‘WHAT?’” Reese recalled.

Adams, Reese said, insisted he check in with New Orleans and make an offer. And so the Titans’ G.M. did as he was told.

Now it was the Saints’ turn to be surprised.

“So I called ‘em and I said — and trading one spot — I said, ‘I need to trade with you guys, and I will give you a ‘two,'” Reese said. “They said, ‘A TWO?’ I said, ‘Yep, a two.’ They go, ‘Why?’ And I said, ‘We want that spot.’”

Reese continued: “And he goes, ‘You know something we don’t.’ He goes, ‘We’re not going to trade.'”

Said Reese, concluding his story: “I laughed about that forever.”

In the end, the Saints took Reggie Bush second overall, and the Titans selected Young with the next pick. The Titans got their quarterback, and they didn’t have to give up a second-rounder.

And now, thanks to Reese, we have quite the footnote to add to the history of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
16 Responses to “Floyd Reese: Fearing Al Davis, Bud Adams wanted to trade up with New Orleans for Vince Young”
  1. thepftpoet says: Jul 24, 2014 4:48 PM

And eight years later…..

Vince Young is broke.

And Jobless.

2. ariani1985 says: Jul 24, 2014 4:50 PM

I thought only Ted Thompson coveted 1st round busts?

3. 1nationraidernation says: Jul 24, 2014 4:55 PM

Al Davis ……RIP.

4. tennesseeoilers says: Jul 24, 2014 4:58 PM

The trade offer leaked out when it happened, but all this time, we Titans fans thought Bud Adams had a last minute change of heart and wanted the spot to draft Reggie Bush!!! I mean wow, ol’ Bud was even more off his rocker than we thought.

5. lrical says: Jul 24, 2014 5:01 PM

Reggie bush made out like a bandit considering the top there picks

6. dabears2485 says: Jul 24, 2014 5:02 PM

Charley Casserly looks pretty damn smart today.

7. notthetroll says: Jul 24, 2014 5:16 PM

While Vince wasn’t any good, that might have been a good trade for the Raiders. It would have most certainly meant JaMarcus would have went somewhere else. Ah well, If ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ were candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas.

8. blackandbluedivision says: Jul 24, 2014 5:28 PM

Meanwhile the Raiders took…well no one really cares who the Raiders took they’re always a bust anyway.

9. pftstory says: Jul 24, 2014 5:44 PM

I’m sure this happens often, where a team makes a trade to get theur guy, when in reality they could have stayed put.
    No one has mentioned the New Orleans “blunder.” If they took the deal they would have had Bush AND an extra two. They also could have countered and gotten more than that, considering what other teams have recently given to move up one spot.

10. roanboon says: Jul 24, 2014 5:49 PM

Didn’t the Titans then take LenDale White with their second round pick?

11. axespray says: Jul 24, 2014 6:37 PM

ariani1985 says:
    Jul 24, 2014 4:50 PM
    I thought only Ted Thompson coveted 1st round busts?
    ———————————–
    Your team picked Bridgewater and Ponder… Ted picked Rodgers, I wouldn’t be talking.

12. raiderinva says: Jul 24, 2014 9:07 PM

Well….

So much for all of that talk about Al Davis coveting Matt Leinart and Art Shell screwing up the team for the next decade because of Mike Huff?

Guess the ESPN and NFL insiders were way off on this one.

13. raiderapologist says: Jul 24, 2014 9:15 PM

The point of the story is the fact that Bud Adams feared Al Davis.

14. dalcow4 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:26 PM

Is there a doubt in the mind of anyone reading this that he or she could be as good a GM as half the people in the league?

15. raiderapologist says: Jul 25, 2014 1:33 PM

blackandbluedivision says: Jul 24, 2014 5:28 PM

—————–
    They took Michael Huff. He wasn’t great, but wasn’t a bust.

16. Matt says: Jul 25, 2014 2:01 PM

True story – one of Vince’s cousins is an acquaintance of my father.

Once in passing, as my old man told him how he was a Raiders fan, and that Vince had all of the physical tools in the world, Vince’s cousin responded that Vince was promised by Al Davis that he’d draft him.

As a Raiders fan, I honestly can’t be mad because that pick went to Michael Huff, and Vince Young was Rookie of the Year his first season – maybe a different organization was all he needed.