Frank Gore not ready to give up heavy workload

Arizona Cardinals v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

The 49ers have accumulated quite a bit of depth behind running back Frank Gore over the last few years, leading some to wonder if 2014 will be the year when the longtime workhorse starts to cede more of the workload to other backs.

If it is up to Gore, the wait will last a little longer. Kendall Hunter, Marcus Lattimore, Carlos Hyde and LaMichael James are all on the roster and looking for playing time, but Gore has no plans on stepping aside so someone else can do the heavy lifting.

“I’m from Miami,” Gore said, via CSNBayArea.com. “I’ve been competing ever since I left high school. I’ve been with top guys who’ve been in the league. I’m up for it. One day, they’re going to get this role. But I’m here, and I’m going to make it a challenge.”

Gore is 31 and coming off a year that saw him take three-quarters of the team’s offensive snaps, the second-most of his 49ers career, so his overall workload will likely drop during the season. If he’s still as effective as he was last season, though, the drop probably won’t be a particularly dramatic one since the 49ers know that they can win with Gore leading the way on the ground.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
25 Responses to “Frank Gore not ready to give up heavy workload”
  1. percyscoredasmuchasdenver says: Jul 24, 2014 12:20 PM

Stable of ponies. You have one guy on the wrong side of 30, another who has two legs built of paper mache, another who is just too little and has attitude problems, another who doesn’t have a large enough sample size to quantify whether he has talent, and an unproven rookie. What do you have? A gang full of whiners.

Don’t forget about all the criminal activity with the rest of the players.

#SEAHAWKDYNASTY
    #ABOVEREPERCUSSIONS
    #REPETE

2. 12dat says: Jul 24, 2014 12:22 PM

Even as a Seahawk fan Gore has always been one of my favorite runners in the league.

3. decon49 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:23 PM

But Christine Micheal would pick up right where Marshawn left off? Cause his sample size was large enough last season?

4. trailbreaker77 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:28 PM

Lets get him a ring this year, he’s earned it!

5. poridge1214 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:37 PM

#REPETE?

6. seabrawk12 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:58 PM

Although Gore has been a true asset to the Niners over the years, he isn’t worth a top 5 round fantasy pick coming into this season. Wish him the best though.

7. nflanalyst19 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:58 PM

@percyscoredasmuchasdenver

I think you meant #aboveREPROACH

8. 7to85 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:04 PM

seabrawk12 says:
    Jul 24, 2014 12:58 PM

Who cares about fantasy picks? This is about Frank Gore and real football. Go away laptop football watcher.

9. hawkforlife says: Jul 24, 2014 1:08 PM

@ percyscoredasmuchasdenver

Enough with the hash tags and the belittling of the 9ers. When their trolls stale PED jokes and nicknames they think are hilarious are posted we Seahawk fans get sick of it so why respond in kind?

Frank Gore is a great running back. I appreciate his play every year. Of course not when he plays well against the Hawks but just the same…… :D

10. kaeprulestheworld says: Jul 24, 2014 1:17 PM

Handclaps!!!

11. icallbs81 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:36 PM

Is the first comment basically saying the 49ers will be the NFL version of the Pony Express and run the ball all day and night down teams’ throats?

I FORGOT the 2nd year RB from A & M the Hawks have is a saint who has never been in trouble nor had a bad attitude. How do I forget these things?

12. decon49 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:46 PM

^^^exactly

13. hardcoreniners49 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:11 PM

percyscoredasmuchasdenver says:
    Jul 24, 2014 12:20 PM

Don’t forget about all the criminal activity with the rest of the players.

We will see won’t we. It’s a new season with a backfield of thoroughbreds, not Ponies.

14. sonoco says: Jul 24, 2014 2:20 PM

With Crabtree healthy, Boldin, Stevie and Vernon all in the fold, Gore’s carries were going to be reduced even without Hunter, Hyde and Lattimore fighting for more work. Anyway, Gore makes the 10 year wall at 49er HQ this year and that makes me happy. Time to get him a ring!!!

15. eastcoastninerfan says: Jul 24, 2014 2:32 PM

I wish these Bandwagon Seahawk fans would just stop it. They’re disgracing the real fans of the team (who we actually respect).

You guys just won the Super Bowl and should be basking in your glory. No need to knock the #2-#32 teams…your the champs…act like it!

16. worldsaway3057 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:47 PM

@percyscoredmorethandenver Yeah his TD cost you 10 million dollars-and 1 SB is not a dynasty-now go back to your poser 12th man that you ripped off sorry pay rent for to Tezas A&M with russ the bust your 3rd string QB

17. braceyourselffor12 says: Jul 24, 2014 3:01 PM

FRANK THE TANK!!!!!

Greatest Running Back in franchise history and 1st ballot HOF when he retires. When looking back on the historic legacy of our team you have your pick of jerseys to sport but for me Gore will always define the Niner attitude.

Can’t wait to see what he and the rest of our reloaded roster brings this season. Are you ready Niner Faithful?!

GO NINERS!!!!!

P.S it is hilarious how much we are in the Seatards heads. Not even 10 min after the article is posted and the first troll starts cawing in. If I ever hated myself and or had no life I still wouldn’t have the inclination to read their articles yet they can on EVERY Niner post. I guess when your jealous of your superiors it behooves you to cry like a child starved of attention even after getting their one ring blankie.

18. sonoco says: Jul 24, 2014 3:08 PM

I heard Kansas University is planning a preemptive lawsuit to keep the “12th Man (TM)” from stealing their chant and modifying it to “Rock Chalk Seahawk”. They’re suckers for the Big 12.

19. hawkforlife says: Jul 24, 2014 3:18 PM

Ah you try to be nice and then the usual attacks on the Seattle fans begin. Maybe I should start posting like a 5 year old too.

Nah, too easy.

20. uplate5301 says: Jul 24, 2014 3:40 PM

@hawkforlife: Good post! I don’t know why supposed ‘fans’ from these two clubs insist on posting juvenile garbage about the other team. Both teams are great. Either team can potentially get-to and win the SB this year. And both teams know the other is their chief opponent in that endeavor and will likely play harder in Niner/Seahawks games than routinely otherwise.

And I don’t know about you, but I want the Niners to beat a worthy opponent (which the Seahawks most assuredly are), not some kludge bunch of reprobates the somehow managed to back into the championship.

I want the Niners to be the best by beating the best.
    Ergo, I respect the hell out of the Seahawks, and will look forward to those games more than any others… because they will be the toughest and require the best from our players……. not because the Seahawks will be some kind of pushover.

GO NINERS!

21. ctiggs says: Jul 24, 2014 3:42 PM

Frank the Tank!! Frank the Tank!!

22. sprint16right87option says: Jul 24, 2014 4:25 PM

I think it would be interesting if they limited his carries by breaking up the usual “play 1st and 2d downs, then sub for 3d,” and had him generally play 1st and 3d or 2d and 3d, at least early in the season. He’s such an outstanding pass blocker I’ve never liked him coming out for 3d down. This would rest Gore, and get the younger guys some reps without exposing them to as much complicated pass blocking while they are still picking it up.

23. billybone says: Jul 24, 2014 4:37 PM

10 years from now I’ll be telling my boys about the ultimate battles between the Hawks and Niners and part of that story will include two of the best backs in the league Gore & Lynch. You look around the league and backs come and go, but both of these guys have been rock solid for their teams. As much as I dislike the Niners, I have always had much respect for Gore and now even more so knowing he is “on the wrong side of 30″ and is still grinding it out like a boss.

Is it Thanksgiving yet?

Go Hawks!

24. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Frank Gore is tough as nails. He has been a great pro.

25. jonnguy2014 says: Jul 25, 2014 10:03 AM

Truce. We don’t troll you, you don’t troll us. Let’s see who breaks it