Modell family wants to press charges against grave urinator

Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell stands with the Vince Lombardi trophy Reuters

It’s one thing to take a grudge to the grave, but one Browns fans took his to an embarrassing new low.

After an unidentified Browns fan calling himself “Mr. BrownsFan4Life” made a video of himself urinating on the grave of former Browns-Ravens owner Art Modell, authorites in Baltimore are hoping to press charges.

The video has been removed from YouTube (Deadspin has a copy, if you want to see it), but the Modell family has expressed the appropriate outrage over the incident.

“To some people, the man in that grave is Art Modell,” son David Modell said, via Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun. “But to me, my brother, my children, and my wife, that’s their father. That’s their grandfather. . . . Can any of your readers imagine, for one second, seeing someone do that to your parents’ grave?

“The act is so offensive, and I’d like to publicly say, isn’t enough enough? When is enough enough? It’s a vile, piggish act of online cowardice by Mr. BrownsFan4Life.”

David Modell also called it “incredibly distasteful, revolting, and mean-spirited” and promised to file charges.

“Whatever we can throw at him, that’s what’s going to happen,” he said.

Baltimore County Police are investigating the incident, and a police spokeswoman said they’re reaching out to the cemetery to see if they want to pursue charges.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
71 Responses to “Modell family wants to press charges against grave urinator”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 24, 2014 8:36 AM

I’ll bet you $100.00 that the grave urinator is one of the Browns fans who posted on ESPN NFL board angrily defending Notre Dame’s NFL draft bust Akili Quinn.

2. bucrightoff says: Jul 24, 2014 8:42 AM

Fan was clearly pissed off.

3. abninf says: Jul 24, 2014 8:43 AM

Must be a pot smoker.

4. redbullenergydrink says: Jul 24, 2014 8:47 AM

That’s just classless!

5. godofwine330 says: Jul 24, 2014 8:48 AM

There is a skit, “When keeping it real goes wrong,” that this should go on. Doing it…and filming it? Not a smart move. A parolee from Florida who is not supposed to leave the state taking a selfie in Vegas and posting it on social media…not a smart move.

I’m from Cleveland, born and raised. I found out my team was moving via my RDC MM1 Caesar in Navy bootcamp who said, “Anybody here from Cleveland?” and when I raised my hand, “Guess what? Your team’s moving to Baltimore – hahaha.”

I was bothered, but I got over it. I can’t think of anyone who I would do that to. If I was that mad I probably should have told them while they were living, an if I missed my shot I missed my shot. Other than the fact that the deed is disgusting, it is illegal. And photographing and/or making videos of illegal acts for…I don’t know. What was he trying to accomplish? Either way, his life is about to get uncomfortable. I wonder if he believes that it was wort it…I wonder if he will when this is all done.

6. piratefreedom says: Jul 24, 2014 8:48 AM

I used to say I would do that with Harold Ballard.
    I didn’t though.

7. frenchysgoldfish says: Jul 24, 2014 8:50 AM

If your that pissed, the idiot Browns fan should be going to the Cleveland Mayor’s grave. If it was up to him, Modell’s team would still be playing in Municipal Stadium. “They’ll never leave town”…. famous rust belt attitude, that’s why all major industries are gone as well.

8. noladat says: Jul 24, 2014 8:53 AM

I don’t think it is all that bad. It is just earth and a marker of his existence.

Don’t clog up the court system with this junk!

9. govtminion says: Jul 24, 2014 8:55 AM

I’m as diehard of a sports fan as anyone. And I’ve made plenty of jokes about wanting this player dead, I hope that player gets attacked by rabid wolverines, etc., but… this is WAY beyond the scope of sports. Disgusting behavior by this guy.

10. annapterp says: Jul 24, 2014 8:55 AM

I certainly hope they find this guy and he gets what’s coming to him. Personally, I’d like to see the Modell family get first shot at him.

As a football fan, you can’t write the history of the NFL and what it has become without giving a lot of credit to Art Modell. The fact that he’s not in the HOF is a travesty that is caused by some small thinking media people in Cleveland. Their anger should be placed at the politicians in Cleveland that gave Mr. Modell no choice but to move his team after breaking several promises to him.

Hopefully karma comes and hits this disgusting person right between the eyes.

11. floratiotime says: Jul 24, 2014 8:57 AM

Of course it’s ridiculous … but let’s not pretend Modell treated Cleveland fairly. He’s responsible for all the hate directed towards him. His family should apologize for what he did.

12. clownsfan says: Jul 24, 2014 8:59 AM

As if being embarrassed by our football team isn’t bad enough……

13. mkmoorebrowns says: Jul 24, 2014 8:59 AM

That dude crushed thousands of fans souls over money… A little bit of wee on a dead guys grave… Get over it, I don’t think it will kill him again.

14. trollingforjustice says: Jul 24, 2014 9:00 AM

his punishment should be that he remain a browns fan for life!

15. iloveagoodnap says: Jul 24, 2014 9:04 AM

Screw the Modells. He ripped the Browns from the fingertips of a pleading and screaming, passionate and loyal group of fans. Blue collar fans who helped make him so much money and give him the authority and power he had. Fans who worked hard and lived for the Browns, and spent their hard earn dollars supporting them. And he ripped them away because he was too greedy and too cheap to fork over more of his own money to build a better stadium for the same fans he betrayed.

After all that, if one man urinating on his grave is the only karma that came to get him, then he’s lucky.

-Bengals fan

16. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jul 24, 2014 9:04 AM

He is probably related to Harvey Updyke.

17. aa1829 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:06 AM

Wonder what the law was that was broken? Public indecency, exposing himself, disorderly conduct, desecrating a grave? The guy needs to be punished, but I’d favor taking him out to the woodshed for some old fashion attitude adjustment, but I’m old, so…

18. classyjacklambert says: Jul 24, 2014 9:09 AM

You never know. Maybe getting pissed on was Art Modell’s cup of tea. Why else alienate the entire city and loyal fan base of Cleveland?

19. lonedog54 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:09 AM

About as low as you can go. Just stupid and distasteful. But some on here will say the guy’s actions were justified. Sick

20. rickydo22 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:11 AM

Art Modell was a piece of lying garbage, but this is too far! I understand the hating and content, but he’s gone and good riddance.

21. scoonie97 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:12 AM

Maybe they should move Modell’s grave?

22. baltimoremikeg says: Jul 24, 2014 9:13 AM

The Irsays and the Colts up an left Baltimore overnight, taking the name, records and everything else with them. Cleveland essentially was able to retain their team

Cleveland replaced the Browns with the Browns…and they are still the Browns. I’ve done enough bragging about the Ravens this week, so I’ll leave it at that.

Stay classy, Cleveland.

23. realitycheckbaby says: Jul 24, 2014 9:18 AM

Really low life act.

But when it’s all said and done, nothing matters but how we impact the people in our lives.

24. titansbro says: Jul 24, 2014 9:26 AM

Yeah that’s just stupid. Hating the man is fine, but there’s always that guy who can’t help but take it too far. I’m guessing Mr Brownsfan4life is that guy.

25. samsonight1010 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:27 AM

I’m not saying its right, but I’m also not saying I didn’t laugh a little

26. johnodocks says: Jul 24, 2014 9:28 AM

I’d put this Browns fan in the same category as Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church. I’m sure most Browns fans are turned off by him as most Baptists and other Christians were by Phelps.

27. ddarlak says: Jul 24, 2014 9:30 AM

i see both sides here, but tend to lean towards the urinator

28. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jul 24, 2014 9:30 AM

I don’t condone the behavoir of the urinator but at the same time I’m not pissed at the guy (see what I did here). Like people in Baltimore didn’t do the same to Irsay (we just didnt have YouTube to post to back then).

Can Clevelanders sue the Modell family for emotional distress?

29. idpfantasyfootball says: Jul 24, 2014 9:33 AM

The actions are deplorable. Couldn’t he have just put a Calvin & Hobbes style sticker on the back of his pick-up truck?

30. dws123 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:33 AM

I’m in no way condoning these actions, but do you know how to stop a person from pissing on your grave after you’ve died? Treat people with respect and have some integrity while you’re still alive.

31. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jul 24, 2014 9:36 AM

They’ll press charges because of who Mr Modell is. If it was my father they wouldn’t. And if the Ford family moved the Lions out of Detroit I wouldn’t have any issue with anyone urinating on any of their graves.

32. pkrlvr says: Jul 24, 2014 9:38 AM

Mr. Model, you’re rich as hell, handle this the old school way….pay some goons to take this guy out.

33. theravenmaniac says: Jul 24, 2014 9:39 AM

Wow, I hate a lot or sports figures but can’t imagine that. I use to say I hates Hines Ward but it he was on our team it would be a different story.

34. owentoo says: Jul 24, 2014 9:39 AM

First time in my life I ever agreed with anything David Modell said, but he’s right. How absolutely classless and idiotic can you get? Don’t measure true Browns fans by this fool and his juvenile attempt to be funny. It wasn’t. Not even close. I hope he’s prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

35. lifer77 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:42 AM

I peed on Lambeau in the middle of the night. Does this mean that the Green Bay PD can come hunt me down?

36. whatnojets says: Jul 24, 2014 9:43 AM

Two Mayflower trucks have been ordered for a scheduled pick-up at 12:00 Midnight.

Problem solved.

37. erikinhell says: Jul 24, 2014 9:44 AM

Maybe they should move the grave.

38. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 24, 2014 9:45 AM

What a classless piece of garbage. No excuse for this idiots actions.

39. hansenbrothers says: Jul 24, 2014 9:47 AM

Way over the line.

40. mdl1952 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:47 AM

Typical Browns fan.

41. mojo5757 says: Jul 24, 2014 9:48 AM

For Modell’s sake, maybe it will temporarily douse the flames from hell.

42. ctiggs says: Jul 24, 2014 9:52 AM

#Nobodyhasitbetter

43. harrybucsfan says: Jul 24, 2014 9:52 AM

Thats disgusting and so obnoxious. Its more like something you would expect from a Raiders fan!!!

44. thraiderskin says: Jul 24, 2014 9:57 AM

Everyone deserves a final resting place and no one, in all of history, deserves to have it desecrated. Its not a big deal to some, but it means a lot to others… a lot. If I was Modell’s son, I’d be using my fortune to deal with that jackhole myself.

45. ncphinsfan says: Jul 24, 2014 10:02 AM

I understand the lack of class in his symbolic act, but seriously? Are the Baltimore County Police going to arrest Dogs, Deer and Birds from doing this as well? Before you Thumbs Down this… Think about it. The guy is clearly a Moron, but if I peed on any one of your Graves, no one would investigate. So beware Jets fans all over the country. ;)

46. webber004 says: Jul 24, 2014 10:09 AM

Why would Johnny Football do that?

47. enoughofthatalready says: Jul 24, 2014 10:17 AM

Cleveland essentially was able to retain their team-
    How so? The players moved. The Ravens were awarded draft picks that the Browns earned the year before and they were able to draft Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden, the key to the Ravens success. Ozzie Newsome remained in the front office and was later promoted. Cleveland retained the books but by far did not retain their team.

48. ranoversquarells says: Jul 24, 2014 10:18 AM

That guy deserve a medal

49. railcarcowboy says: Jul 24, 2014 10:21 AM

Please! Birds do worse than that. This is stupid.

50. mackcarrington says: Jul 24, 2014 10:32 AM

I’m only commenting on this story to express how surprised I am by how many people actually support this guys actions. I once thought soccer fans were low for throwing bags of urine on players during games. And then he compounds it by filming it and posting it for the world to see. I have a feeling this is going to be “trending” among disgruntled sports fans from here on in.

51. Punk says: Jul 24, 2014 10:47 AM

I would be upset if he did it on a person. But doing it on where a body supposedly lays is no big.

Besides, Modell earned that. His deeds caused that emotion.

52. bshuclassof2012 says: Jul 24, 2014 11:03 AM

Frankly, the Cleveland hates Art Modell thing is getting old. The fans of Cleveland got a sweetheart deal expansion franchise from the NFL after only 3 years of being without football, and got a new stadium out of it which would have been enough to keep the team there in the first place! Get over it. Art Modell as an owner of an enterprise had all the right to move his business if he chose to do so. He did. You have a team now, but you’re still bitter. That bitterness comes from the fact that the team that left is and will always be better than the Browns 2.0. It must be hard to never get anything right.

53. therealtruth210 says: Jul 24, 2014 11:08 AM

Just another low life browns fans in a city filled with them

54. logicaldawg says: Jul 24, 2014 11:25 AM

He shouldn’t have done that. Despite the justified hatred of the former Browns owner, it was inappropriate and disrespectful of the dead and the family.

He did not represent Browns fans by doing what he did. Any posts above that would draw other Browns fans or the city of Cleveland into that mix are invalid and also inappropriate.

55. bunkslurpscrabmustard says: Jul 24, 2014 11:28 AM

Not sure what kind of crazy charges will get thrown at this guy, in lawyer speak “it depends”. But I’ll tell you that I’d never want a family worth multi-millions to be coming after me.

56. brownoholic says: Jul 24, 2014 11:35 AM

This moron does NOT represent our fanbase.

57. mountaingirl39 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:48 PM

Thanks to the idiot fan who gave Ravens players & fans 1 more reason to welcome the Clowns at our season opener.

58. mrfrostyj says: Jul 24, 2014 1:48 PM

This is the NFL. Unless he had Marijuana on him he gets at least two more strikes against him.

Anyway I say ban him from all Browns games and fine him the exact amount of money it would cost for a Ravens season ticket every year since they left Cleveland AND FORCE HIM TO GO TO ALL RAVENS HOME GAMES IN FULL BROWNS GEAR FOR THAT MANY YEARS.

Appropriate punishment for the crime if you ask me.

59. ydousuk says: Jul 24, 2014 1:50 PM

—————————————-

Ya………………….

60. scoochpooch says: Jul 24, 2014 2:27 PM

It’s fine. Action/Reaction or Cause and Effect.
    Action: Moving the team
    Reaction: Urination

61. juliusanonymous says: Jul 24, 2014 2:42 PM

I’ve never understood the supposed sanctity of graves and dead bodies. It’s some bones, buried in the ground. There’s no “rest” going on. Rest is when you lay down and wake back up a little while later. You don’t wake up from death. Everything here is symbolic, and in that sense, I don’t see anything really wrong with what the guy did. Juvenile? Sure. Criminal? Hardly. It’s just some grown man acting like a punk kid, peeing on the grass. Why does anyone care? You could do that to my mother’s grave if you wanted to and I’d shrug. People choose weird things to get upset about sometimes.

62. oldcracker says: Jul 24, 2014 4:45 PM

I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the first time that was done, nor the last, nor the worst that’s been done. His mistake was videographing it and bragging about it.

63. jabagom says: Jul 24, 2014 5:34 PM

I’m sure this is not the first time this has happened! And I’m sure there are many Browns fans that would have loved to do this.

Yes there are classless people in Cleveland … but there are as many classless people in Cleveland as there are in Baltimore and in Pittsburgh and in NY City and so on – The world is full of idiots and classless people – no 1 city has a lock on having the most classless and idiotic people.

What would the Baltimore PD charge him with? Indecent Exposure? … No, he never whipped it out

Making a tasteless video? … Not a chance

Being a loyal fan? … of a crappy team?

Doesn’t sound like the Modell family will have to search harder to find a crime to press charges against this guy.

People of Baltimore see Art as a hero whereas the People of Cleveland see Art as a back-stabber – its all a matter of perspective.

64. VenerableAxiom says: Jul 24, 2014 5:49 PM

Cleveland sports fans are a class act. SMH

65. audient says: Jul 24, 2014 6:40 PM

Urinating on the grave may have been too far.

Now if he had danced on the grave, and filmed that…

66. thegloriousone says: Jul 24, 2014 8:28 PM

Yeah. Cleveland is classless. Maybe we could exhibit a little Baltimore class and physically assault our wives and drag their unconscious bodies through hotel hallways.

Typical Baltimore. Stay classy.

67. thegloriousone says: Jul 24, 2014 8:40 PM

Maybe the guy had no choice

68. 6superbowls says: Jul 24, 2014 10:18 PM

Urinating on a grave = 4 games. Beating your wife/ fiancé is still only two games. Right Roger?

69. nickinneohio says: Jul 24, 2014 11:01 PM

Modell once said while in CLE “I’d sign Hitler if he could play” When asked if The Browns would ever move David Modell said, “No, Never.”
    Next victim.
    Sorry Dave. We hate you too.
    Signed,
    Cleveland

70. gron4u says: Jul 25, 2014 1:47 AM

Cleveland has a lot of growing up to do. They carry things on and on and on. Just like the immature kids that they are, they rant and rave about things they cannot change. As far as losing a football team to another city, it really is like a divorce. The man usually is the loser of the house and car and custody of the kids to the ex wife. The bitterness and pain that lingers is collateral damage that usually goes away in time ,especially if he finds a new relationship. Cleveland was given a franchise within a short three years. It took fourteen horrible years for Baltimore to get a team. It always bodes trivial that Cleveland wants sympathy when it really got a sweetheart deal in only three years retaining their name and everything in tact. Baltimore deserved the consideration that Mr. Modell afforded them.

71. bigjeter says: Jul 25, 2014 2:51 AM

Several of the commenters here are really horrified by this guy’s action. I just sort of thought it was funny. We shouldn’t take things so seriously. No big deal. And it is sort of melodramatic by the Modell family. The specter of billionaires suing some poor sap that can’t even make the rent is pretty bad, too. Someone above suggested that the Modell family should move the grave. I think that is the best comment in this entire thread. Finally, I’m very surprised that no one has desecrated his grave before this. Dude had a lot of enemies, and rightly so.