Newsome calls Rice suspension “fair,” Rice doesn’t say whether he’ll appeal

Ray Rice AP

The suspension of Ray Rice has become official, which means that more statements will be issued from folks directly affected by the outcome.

“We appreciate the thorough process the league office used to evaluate the incident with Ray Rice,” Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome said in a statement issued by the team.  “The time the Commissioner spent with Ray and Janay is typical of the extra steps the NFL takes when making decisions regarding discipline issues. While not having Ray for the first two games is significant to our team, we respect the league’s decision and believe it is fair.

“We also respect the efforts Ray has made to become the best partner and father he can be. That night was not typical of the Ray Rice we know and respect. We believe that he will not let that one night define who he is, and he is determined to make sure something like this never happens again.”

Rice stopped short of calling the suspension “fair,” which possibly means he’ll exercise his right to an appeal.  He nevertheless continues to accept responsibility for his behavior.

“It is disappointing that I will not be with my teammates for the first two games of the season, but that’s my fault,” Rice said in a statement issued by the team (which is the paper equivalent of a press conference with no questions allowed from the press, which Rice did in May).  “As I said earlier, I failed in many ways.  But, Janay and I have learned from this. We have become better as a couple and as parents. I am better because of everything we have experienced since that night.  The counseling has helped tremendously.

“My goal is to earn back the trust of the people, especially the children, I let down because of this incident.  I am a role model and I take that responsibility seriously.  My actions going forward will show that.”

Neither statement addresses the broader issue of domestic violence, and neither the Ravens nor Rice have said or done anything use this incident as a way to help reduce situations where men strike their wives, fianceés, girlfriends, or any other people (male or female) they regularly encounter in their day-to-day lives.

Maybe the $705,000 that the Ravens won’t be paying to Rice should be donated to one or more groups that support the victims of domestic violence, and maybe Rice should match the amount of his financial penalty with an equal donation.  Some would call the gesture transparent or hollow, but it would have far more tangible impact than generating a page of quotes that avoid acknowledging what happened — Rice threw a punch at the woman he supposedly loves, and he knocked her out cold.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
58 Responses to “Newsome calls Rice suspension “fair,” Rice doesn’t say whether he’ll appeal”
  1. kingokra says: Jul 24, 2014 1:51 PM

First Harbauth, now Newsome. Someone needs to tell these guys to shut up. That hold they’re digging is getting massive. Yeah, Ozzie, rearranging your wife’s face with your fist equates to 2 games. Sure, sounds “fair” to me.

2. pauliewalnutsthe2nd says: Jul 24, 2014 1:53 PM

“Rice stopped short of calling the suspension “fair,” which possibly means he’ll exercise his right to an appeal. He nevertheless continues to accept responsibility for his behavior.”

Then be a man, take your lumps and don’t appeal it you want to accept responsibility.

3. jaxbeachjagfan says: Jul 24, 2014 1:56 PM

Smoke a joint = 4 games

Knock a woman unconscious = 2 games

Smh at how the NFL is tone-deaf on this.

4. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 24, 2014 1:56 PM

I don’t know why, but I always imagined Oz would place his morals and ethics ahead of his football business. I guess I’m not overly surprised that he didn’t, just disappointed. Fans of the AFCN were hoping you’d hold our division to a higher standard.

5. Moudabo says: Jul 24, 2014 1:56 PM

If Newsome and the Ravens had any class, they’d
    double the suspension, at the very least.

I do hope Rice appeals though, that would show
    some nerve.

6. joeflaccoallday says: Jul 24, 2014 1:57 PM

Florio stop it. He said he sorry and that’s it. Hell no he’s not donating a dime.

7. slugbaitspace says: Jul 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Actually, Rice stopped short of calling the suspension “light”.

If he had called it “fair”, some people would have criticized him in a manner as if they were carrying torches and pitchforks.

He was smart not to say it was “fair”. He will be even smarter not to appeal.

8. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:02 PM

Ray Rice screwed up mightily, and showed a truly ugly side of himself in the process.

That aside, he shouldn’t be defined by this one incident for the rest of his days…nor should anyone be defined entirely by their most regrettable moment. We can all sit back and point fingers and throw rocks, but in a situation like this…if you are willing to criticize others for their wrongdoings than you should also be willing to reflect inwardly on your own wrongdoings. We are all imperfect creatures, and as much time as we spend tearing people down for their mistakes, we should also make equal effort to build others up…because pointing fingers at everyone else’s mistakes do nothing to minimize your own.

9. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 24, 2014 2:06 PM

“Mirror mirror on the wall, what’s the fairest punishment of them all?…Why this one is after all you are the only one here making the call.”

10. Bill Belitext says: Jul 24, 2014 2:08 PM

In defense of the lame suspension, lets keep in mind, the video doesnt conclusively show that Rice lead with the crown of the helmet, and there wasnt definitive helmet to helmet impact…

11. danind says: Jul 24, 2014 2:11 PM

So if “good guy” and “heck of a guy” type people can beat their woman unconscious…who are the people that I hang out with that would never do this? I guess the gauge of character for NFL players is different than real life?

Im a Ravens fan, but Rice should be gone 8 games. Don’t care that its his first offense and otherwise a good guy. as soon as you knock your woman unconscious all that other stuff doesn’t matter.

its like that guy who built a thousand bridges, but had one inappropriate encounter with a goat. he’s not remembered as a “bridge builder”

12. mannyiac says: Jul 24, 2014 2:11 PM

A gutless suspension at best.

13. riders008 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:12 PM

what if some player hit roger goodells daughter like that …..would it be a 2 game suspension…..?
    and u ravens fans who actually think this is fair must not have daughters and if u do must not care if they get hit by their man…..its football and a sport …..stop acting like it is more important than life

14. danind says: Jul 24, 2014 2:12 PM

Anyone else thinks is a setup for the softball he is getting ready to throw to the Colts owner??

15. patbetw says: Jul 24, 2014 2:14 PM

2 games seems light based on what we think occurred. I still believe the rest of the video shows something a little different. I can’t believe the NFL would only give 2 games if he actually clocked her as we have been led to believe. I really believe there is something different that happened and Ray, while not completely innocent is covering something up.

16. dryzzt23 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:14 PM

I blame the NFLPA, they negotiated this CBA to protect players like Rice who run afoul of moral virtues.
    I don’t blame Goodell, his hands are tied by the CBA.
    Blame the NFLPA – a union that is pro-wife beating.

17. ravenschick says: Jul 24, 2014 2:15 PM

1. I guess the REAL tape that actually shows what happened isn’t as bad as all the RUMORS that have been circulating. Otherwise, Goodell would have lowered the boom with a larger suspension.

2. Up until this point, Ray has been a model player. Everyone deserves a second chance, even in the case of domestic violence. There shouldn’t ever be a third chance.

3. I guess no one here has ever lost their composure and hit another person, regardless of gender, when they’ve had too much to drink.

I am not making excuses for Ray’s inexcusable behavior. As a woman, a man should never lay his hands on a woman. However, it goes both ways. No woman should ever physically assault a man unless she is defending herself.

But I find all these posts so hypocritical. I guess everyone here has lived a perfect life and has never needed a second chance. Or has never had one moment in their life where they’ve done something really stupid and regretted what they did. I have. I guess I’m the only one here. Or everyone has but just didn’t get caught and/or arrested for doing it.

And unlike Gordon and Blackmon, Ray AND his wife are getting the help they need to overcome their problems.

Rice should take his two games, be thankful that it wasn’t more.

18. banger60 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:22 PM

Really, does this surprise anyone, another slap on the hand for a spoiled pro athlete wanna be gangster!

19. oldpuppydog says: Jul 24, 2014 2:25 PM

Captianwisdom-you have to be kidding! What kind of a statement is the Raven organisation making. We don’t care about women ! Just help us win bottom line. Don’t even try to put this into a point the finger! I don’t care how many volunteer programs he shows up to.Donald Sterling was given 2 awards by the NAACP.Character is what you do on the elevator!

20. rajbais says: Jul 24, 2014 2:28 PM

Who cares if rice appeals. Instead Roger goodDell needs to appeal to us by punishing Baltimore’s former owner Jim irsay and Baltimore rival owner Jimmy haslam.

Rice was lucky enough to not have a four-game suspension.

21. pinchekeith says: Jul 24, 2014 2:28 PM

“Maybe the $705,000 that the Ravens won’t be paying to Rice should be donated to one or more groups that support the victims of domestic violence, and maybe Rice should match the amount of his financial penalty with an equal donation. ”

Or maybe you should do that yourself since you seem to feel so strongly about it, Florio.

22. dryzzt23 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:29 PM

If Rice beat Newsome’s wife….would he think that 2 games is “fair”?
    I doubt it.

23. danind says: Jul 24, 2014 2:31 PM

ravenschick says:
    Jul 24, 2014 2:15 PM

————————-

I don’t think asking a grown man to not knock a woman unconscious is too much to ask…I have been extremely drunk many times in my life and upset as well and have NEVER struck a woman. don’t think I deserve an award for that, its called being a halfway decent person.

24. cgallegos92 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:32 PM

seems a little to harsh.. thats 1/8 the season and pay!!!

25. iamedreed says: Jul 24, 2014 2:34 PM

why should the ravens give back any of that money??

i don’t see you asking the browns to donate josh gordon’s salary towards drug addiction research or charities???

FACT- most domestic violence incidents are female initiated

26. cage12 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:38 PM

I would like to apologize for running into ray’s fist. It’s all my fault.

27. rupp246 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:39 PM

2 games! What a joke! I love the NFL, but I have totally lost all respect for the league. Unbelievable!

28. cmich2006 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:41 PM

Like we needed more proof Roger favors the ravens in anyway he can.

29. skeeterbarnes says: Jul 24, 2014 2:42 PM

The simplest of questions needs to be asked…

Fair to whom?

30. purpleguy says: Jul 24, 2014 2:42 PM

Ravenschick — sheesh — are you serious? I’ll bet 99% of those that have ever posted on a PFT Raven’s article have never hit a woman in anger. Ever. That isn’t a mistake, it’s an intentional crime, made even worse by a highly conditioned NFL athlete. The guy should have received 6 games minimum, not to mention faced more serious criminal penalties. Take off the purple and black colored glasses for cripes sake.

31. blacknole08 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:46 PM

“My goal is to earn back the trust of the people, especially the children, I let down because of this incident. I am a role model and I take that responsibility seriously. My actions going forward will show that.”

—————————————————

HA! Role model?! You’re not even a man.

32. rupp246 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:50 PM

Ravens chick , the real tape are u kidding! He knocked her out! If u got punched in the face you would be screaming bloody murder but if ray rice punched u in the face u would say, oh it wasn’t that bad. Again money talks in every facet of life, that’s all it comes down too.

33. rupp246 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:51 PM

Purpleguy u nailed it right on the head!

34. GettingNoRespect says: Jul 24, 2014 2:52 PM

If the full video exonerates him, then why not show it? Why keep that hidden? Wouldn’t that be something you would try to get out there?

35. danind says: Jul 24, 2014 2:58 PM

Im a Ravens fan, but I truly hope someone blows out his knee if the first game back on the field…better yet, in preseason. the NFL screwed up big time here and Im not happy about it. And yes, Im a ravens fan but I put human decency above my sports interests.

36. danind says: Jul 24, 2014 3:04 PM

1) Ray Rice should be in a jail cell right now. They have no qualms of throwing a guy in jail for selling pot on the first offense. But slamming your girl is ok, especially when you have all the video/evidence you need to convict. its a total embarrassment of the legal system.

2) The NFL missed a big opportunity to make a statement. They need to look inside themselves and start disciplining players based on the crime. Do you really think a second offense for testing for weed is worse than a first offense of knocking out a woman???!!

3) basically the NFL is saying that if you break the law them make sure there is a victim, preferably a woman and you will get two games (Ray Rice, Big Ben – after appeal)…but smoke a little weed and relax – throw the book at them

Way to take the moral high ground.

37. pauliewalnutsthe2nd says: Jul 24, 2014 3:07 PM

“he shouldn’t be defined by this one incident for the rest of his days…nor should anyone be defined entirely by their most regrettable moment.”

———–

OJ? When were you granted web access?

38. Nofoolnodrool says: Jul 24, 2014 3:28 PM

Ironic how the fans, GM, and coach of the Ravens sound so out of touch with the reality of the situation. Sad how people can sell their values so cheaply . How do you Raven fans explain it to your daughters? Disgusting!

39. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 24, 2014 3:34 PM

I wonder what suspension Goodell would have handed down if the reason Rice knocked her out was because she wouldn’t put out her joint.

40. crownofthehelmet says: Jul 24, 2014 3:38 PM

No doubt Rice’s bad karma blew out Ross’ knee.

41. teddybess says: Jul 24, 2014 3:40 PM

I am sorry but he should be defined by this incident, because erm, it happened. Maybe Hernandez shouldn’t be defined by his incident(s). I see free passes are being handed out by the league and more worryingly law enforcement with a very light touch bargain deal. I am sure the league has a knock your wife/partner out three times and you are out, approach to this type of incident. Goodell went down a notch here, protect the shield blah blah blah

42. sidepull says: Jul 24, 2014 3:48 PM

What a sorry state of affairs, sad really. Let that chump walk while other players with lesser charges and convictions, who harm themselves and not hit females, are excessive in retrospect.

43. bengalsucker says: Jul 24, 2014 3:53 PM

I like how they say Janay has learned a lot from that night. Yeah she learned how hard her husband can hit and to not ever cross him again. lol These people are scum bags to say that this is fair. A man who smoke marijuana, a substance that’s quickly becoming legal in the country, is banned for a year from football yet a man who knocked his wife out cold only gets 2 games. Makes complete sense. Just shows the entire Ravens organization is scum.

44. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Jul 24, 2014 3:53 PM

Meanwhile Roethlisberger got 4 games

45. ginojohn says: Jul 24, 2014 3:53 PM

if Ray Rice were a Steeler, He woulda been suspended 8 games by the commish Goodell!!!

46. overratedsteelerhater says: Jul 24, 2014 3:56 PM

maybe the punishment is fair for what happened.no one has saw the video of anyone punching anyone.i think if she got punched in face it would be more severe..

47. simonator917 says: Jul 24, 2014 4:01 PM

==========
    I thought she said it was HER fault.

48. bubblehead22 says: Jul 24, 2014 4:03 PM

What a joke… women should protest, jGordon gets a year for smoking pot and this guy gets 2 games for knocking ours woman on tape WITH video evidence… Joke..

49. doe22us says: Jul 24, 2014 4:28 PM

Whew, glad there was a lot of evidence against Hernandez otherwise he still will be balling for the Patriots, NFL/ is a joke that enables criminals.

50. clashpoint says: Jul 24, 2014 4:34 PM

Big Ben got four games for basically just having bad press. He was the target of a golddigger, then had consensual sex in a bar bathroom, which by the way, is a lot of fun if you can get away with it. I had sex with my gf in my college library’s top floor women’s bathroom, while her best friend played look out. But I digress! The point being he got hosed for 6 games, 4 after appeal, and the Steelers were a lot less tolerant of him than the Ravens are being with Rice.

51. kev86 says: Jul 24, 2014 6:00 PM

My first thought was “wow, he got off easy for knocking his wife out cold”. I still think the same.

52. denverdude7 says: Jul 24, 2014 6:11 PM

Goodell should be impeached over this.

Great message you’re sending here Roger… PUTZ !!!!!!!

53. troy43mvp says: Jul 24, 2014 6:18 PM

I use to have a lot of respect for Roger Goodell……..Ok Sorry, i can’t even type that with a straight face.

54. steelcurtainn says: Jul 24, 2014 9:27 PM

The oz is just a hypocrite defending his own washed up player. Everyone knows two games wasn’t fair. Take off the Blinders newsome, the afc north and league expect better from you.

55. ydousuk says: Jul 24, 2014 9:34 PM

—————————————
    Maybe you can help them out. How did you explain ole Ben to your daughter?

56. stixzidinia says: Jul 24, 2014 9:40 PM

————-

So did he knock her out with a charlie horse to the arm?

57. cptmars says: Jul 25, 2014 9:59 AM

Did he not take other measures, also why is nothing being said of the fact that the victim actually chosed to marry this guy?

58. no1dman43troy says: Jul 25, 2014 10:10 AM

Wow Newsome… fair??? Thought u had some class, unlike ur player, ur coach and ur team. I guess not. Newsome do u have a daughter??? What if u watched Rice on video do that to ur daughter… or son for that matter? Would it still b fair punishment to u??? Not a chance… I’m sure of it!!!9