Rice will lose more than $470,000 due to suspension

Ray Rice AP

Apart from missing a pair of games and necessarily hurting his team, Ravens running back Ray Rice will lose plenty of money.

At a base salary of $4 million for 2014, the forfeiture of a pair of game checks will keep $470,588 out of Rice’s pocket.  (It’s also possible that Rice’s punishment will include a fine in the amount of one or more additional game checks; for now, the reports have focused only on the suspension.)

Of course, Rice also has received $25 million in the last 24 months, which undoubtedly is one of the reasons why the Ravens are standing behind him.  If they hadn’t already given him so much money and/or if they didn’t still think he can move the chains, the team would be moving on.

Indeed, if the Ravens had gone with a back-loaded deal instead of a ridiculously front-loaded package, the Ravens possibly wouldn’t be quite so understanding and supportive of a guy who knocked a woman out in a public place.Rice has appeal rights under the personal-conduct policy.  Given the justifiable criticism of the decision to suspend him only two games, Rice’s best play could be to accept the penalty and move on.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Rice will lose more than $470,000 due to suspension”
  1. youtubeingravenvids says: Jul 24, 2014 11:25 AM

This is an embarrassing day for the NFL. And that’s coming from a HUGE Ravens fan.

2. joeflaccoallday says: Jul 24, 2014 11:27 AM

Fair.

3. hakunamangata says: Jul 24, 2014 11:28 AM

How sad for him.

4. melikefootball says: Jul 24, 2014 11:31 AM

How sorry are we Rice would lose 470,000, he beats up on a women and this is all he gets, should have been much more. The NFL office has lost site of a crime against a women, let these women throw rocks at Rice in the middle of the field would be a much better solution than a laugh two game suspension. The NFL at its best trying to promote a better quality game.

5. dapollock69 says: Jul 24, 2014 11:33 AM

If I lost a half million, I’d walk into an elevator and knock myself out. YIkes!

6. milkmandanimal says: Jul 24, 2014 11:34 AM

Well, geez, that makes it OK, then.

7. mannyiac says: Jul 24, 2014 11:35 AM

Sad,just freaking sad.

8. mackie66 says: Jul 24, 2014 11:36 AM

Ray Ray beats a woman gets suspended 2 games,,,,Dion Jordan takes an unknown substance, doesnt harm a soul and gets 4 game suspension. Adolf,,,Goodell is playing favorites again.

9. purpleguy says: Jul 24, 2014 11:41 AM

What a complete and embarrassing joke.

10. jmblosser82 says: Jul 24, 2014 11:42 AM

What a joke

11. lordfletcher says: Jul 24, 2014 11:47 AM

don’t worry folks, NFL players will be wearing pink soon enough to make it up to all the women out there.

#joke

12. mrpkg says: Jul 24, 2014 11:49 AM

The criminal should have gotten four games

13. joetoronto says: Jul 24, 2014 12:02 PM

Rice will miss that 470,000 when he’s broke in 5 years.

14. Ferdinand says: Jul 24, 2014 12:04 PM

He should be in prison.

After all he did commit multiple felonies in public and on video.

Excuse me. I need to go vomit.

15. sambaughslingers says: Jul 24, 2014 12:04 PM

Agree with others, how is beating your wife less of an offense than smoking pot. We have such messed up values in this country sometimes.

16. skunksprayjim says: Jul 24, 2014 12:05 PM

I’m not an advocate of violence in any situation. However I firmly believe if you’re gonna throw a punch you had better be ready to take a punch. The camera only shows what happened after the elevator opened and outside of Ray Rice and his fiance, nobody knows for sure what actually happened on the elevator. If he hit her first then he should be suspended for a year minimum. If she attacked him first, then a 2 game suspension is 2 games too many.

I seen a video a couple months ago where Beyonce’s sister attacked Jay Z in an elevator. From what I seen he would have been completely justified if he knocked her into next Tuesday.

I dont care if you are young or old, male or female, black or white, big or small. Hit me and I will hit you back

17. 700levelvet says: Jul 24, 2014 12:07 PM

This is as much a crime as he committed…the NFL is such a farce…

18. 700levelvet says: Jul 24, 2014 12:19 PM

To the beautiful women everywhere. Both inside and out, a lot who go to NFL games and support their teams, I’d like to say I’m sorry, that the organization you support thinks lowly of you, the moms, daughters, wives, us real men know you are the backbone of the family,and I hope you can still enjoy the games. But this is a tragedy..this is a slap in the face and I hope you can forgive as being with you watching the games means a lot to us. I’m sorry the NFL is greed, no more no less

19. pluto92 says: Jul 24, 2014 12:20 PM

Unlike most people on here I had the type of wife that thought it was a free pass to punch and kick me because she was a female half my size. I never hit back and it just made it worse. I can understand the restraint it takes to not defend yourself in situations like this. If she attacked him first that is assault whether its male or female. People want to portray her as a stupid innocent victim but she never displayed that in public. They both had counseling. Also…. the players who received punishment for drugs knew exactly what the policy was and they knew the punishment. This has nothing to do with them screwing up.

20. vdogg says: Jul 24, 2014 12:21 PM

This is a well tuned machine of a man playing professional football, he is in peak condition and his level of strength is so far beyond his wife’s….the guy knocked her out. He’s a turd. Embarrassing day for the league/team/fans/family….2 games? What a joke.

21. dubblelznhell says: Jul 24, 2014 12:35 PM

Rice will probably be trying out for different teams after this year. A player who goes from almost 1150 yards and 10 total touch downs to just barely over 650 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns isn’t likely to recapture his past successes.

22. r8dernation says: Jul 24, 2014 12:36 PM

Newsome sure missed on this one. Who pays a RB 25 mil over 24 months?

23. sd619tripleog says: Jul 24, 2014 12:48 PM

the league is basically saying it’ s cool to beat the crap out of your wife but can’t smoke weed. WOW.

24. creflowdollars says: Jul 24, 2014 12:59 PM

Its funny because he’d have gotten 4 games if he hit someone in the head like that on the field but since she has a vagina instead of a strong arm its okay.

25. Moudabo says: Jul 24, 2014 1:13 PM

The NFL office is fast losing any credibility it had.
    If true, this is outrageous and should be looked into.
    I can’t believe they are this inconsistent when
    handing out suspensions.
    It’s unfair and hurting the game.

26. timmons94 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Ray rice… Pos. statue construction starting soon. Only in ratland.. Maybe bleach thrower gets one too

27. surfinbird1 says: Jul 24, 2014 1:26 PM

If all this turns out to be true, the system is truly broken.

28. snowlock2013 says: Jul 24, 2014 2:14 PM

You know what is ironic, assuming Ray’s wife isn’t the primary breadwinner of the marriage, the NFL is punishing her by fining him for knocking her out.

29. tonemattsmom says: Jul 25, 2014 12:10 PM

I am on the verge of losing my house so pardon me if I don’t shed a tear for “Poor Mr. Rice”

30. tonyzendejas says: Jul 25, 2014 2:42 PM

He’ll make at least that much back if he gets sponsored by a boxing glove manufacturer.