Andre Johnson says he couldn’t walk away from football

Andre Johnson AP

Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson felt more secure in returning to the Texans after talking to owner Bob McNair, but he said Friday that he ultimately couldn’t leave the game.

“I love playing the game of football,” Johnson said, via Brian Smith of the Houston Chronicle. “I don’t plan on walking away from this.”

Which is fine, except he did all summer, after openly questioning the future of the franchise.

“I feel very comfortable with the way things are going,” Johnson said. “What I said in the offseason had to do with things that happened in the past eight or nine years.”

Johnson didn’t get into specifics about his conversations with management or McNair, but it’s clear that new coach Bill O’Brien handled this one well.

The rookie coach never threw gas on the fire or issued any ultimatums, and that might have helped smooth the road that led Johnson back home.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Andre Johnson says he couldn’t walk away from football”
  1. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jul 25, 2014 1:20 PM

Meh, I still would rather see Andre catching td’s in the SB from the likes of Tom Brady or something. Not gonna complain though! Just hope this offense actually does something this year.

I’ll say this, the more videos I watch and things I hear about the offense. The more optimistic i’m becoming.

Watch out for the AFC South this year. It might sneak up and bite ya.

2. thepftpoet says: Jul 25, 2014 1:31 PM

All I hear is excuses.

Which directly relates to failure.

This never happens in the historic Minnesota Vikings organization.

Where our receivers never complain, they just produce.

3. scrp2 says: Jul 25, 2014 1:33 PM

Andre Johnson is a stand up individual. Everybody knows that. Plus a big play guy. Look forward to watching him this year.

4. dawgnme says: Jul 25, 2014 1:35 PM

Translated to: “Well, the Texans would have taken too big of a cap hit to trade me, and I stood to lose $30K/day on top of the $1M I’ve already lost for not showing up… so here I am.”

5. doe22us says: Jul 25, 2014 1:38 PM

Yeah not a lot of jobs paying $10m to catch a football, stop catching feelings and ball.

6. clownsfan says: Jul 25, 2014 2:34 PM

Then walk. Tired of this non-story.

7. jimr10 says: Jul 25, 2014 2:48 PM

So much inside information.

8. kev86 says: Jul 25, 2014 6:12 PM

Moss and Carter lost 41-0 in an AFC championship game.