Andre Roberts gets first crack at kick/punt returner in D.C.

Roberts AP

Maybe Andre Roberts would have signed with Washington again, after all.

Roberts, who recently said the arrival of DeSean Jackson would have been a factor in the former Cardinal’s free-agency decision-making progress, has been thrown a bone.  Via Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com, Roberts has landed at the top of the depth chart for both kickoff and punt returns.

Right now, I am,” Roberts said.  “You never know during training camp what they’re going to do.  [It could] depend on how much they use me on offense. . . .  Right now, I’m on top. But we’ll see.”

We’ll definitely see, because DeSean Jackson has been a game-breaking return specialist in the past.

“I would like to be the kick returner and the punt returner but, you know, everybody doesn’t get what they want,” Roberts said last month. “Preferably, probably kick returner.”

Roberts signed a four-year, $16 million in March with $5.25 million guaranteed at signing.  The real question is whether he does enough this year to prompt the team to keep him beyond the 15th day of the 2015 league year, at which point his $2.75 million base salary for 2015 becomes fully guaranteed.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Andre Roberts gets first crack at kick/punt returner in D.C.”
  1. RussianBreadMaker says: Jul 25, 2014 9:02 AM

This is a business and I am sure that he is aware of that.

2. jimmyt says: Jul 25, 2014 9:04 AM

I’d like to see RGIII as the punt/kick returner.

3. wdcskins says: Jul 25, 2014 9:30 AM

I’m a fan of the ‘Skins and a supportive follower of the Cards, and I was happy to see Andre sign with the Skins. He’s about as sure-handed and consistent a number 3 as you can ask for. Good to see that he’s getting over being butt hurt. HTTR!

4. dfields4 says: Jul 25, 2014 9:37 AM

Really wish the Bears would’ve signed him. Solid receiver. He would have been an ideal slot receiver there, and plenty of targets to go around with Trestman’s scheme so he would have been happy. Cutler will probably throw 100+ more total passes than RGIII.

5. 6250claimer says: Jul 25, 2014 9:47 AM

REDSKINS fans had better hope that he’s better at fielding punts than he was at catching passes last year. There’s a good reason the Cards didn’t bring him back. Bob Griffin probably won’t be happy with him by about Week 2.

6. mdpgc says: Jul 25, 2014 9:57 AM