Drew Brees wants to play until he’s 45

Buffalo Bills v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

No one in New Orleans is talking about a future without Drew Brees at quarterback just yet and it will be a good while before anyone starts the conversation if Brees gets his way.

Brees has seen quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Brett Favre remain productive into their late 30s and believes that he can follow in their footsteps. In fact, Brees, who turns 36 in January, thinks he can last even longer than Favre, who turned 41 during his final season with the Vikings.

“No doubt. There’s no question,” Brees said, via Albert Breer of NFL Network. “I’m not getting ahead myself, like it’s a pipe dream, at 45. I understand the challenges that come along with that. But why not? If I can stay healthy, and I’m having fun and playing at a high level, why wouldn’t I wanna do that? The biggest challenge is physically, the maintenance, the recovery, the way you train. You gotta hope that you stay healthy, but why not?”

Odds are that Brees’ luck on the health front won’t be charmed enough for him to play another 10 years, but there’s no reason to think he can’t continue to play at a high level through the end of his current deal with the Saints. The team seems to agree, moving to add players like Jairus Byrd, Brandin Cooks and Champ Bailey this offseason in hopes of maximizing the championship window opened by having an elite quarterback that has already brought one title to town.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Drew Brees wants to play until he’s 45”
  1. sumkat says: Jul 25, 2014 4:29 PM

If I got paid what Brees does, I’d want to play until I was 60

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 25, 2014 4:33 PM

Maybe Drew meant to say he’s been playing since the age of the “45”.

3. v2787 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:33 PM

It’s not that you can’t stay healthy until age 45–it’s that you slow down, almost imperceptibly at first, but then little by little it becomes more obvious (to everyone but you, usually). You lose a step, then another, until finally you’re trying to make it on guile alone. Physical abilities, especially speed and reaction time, can and do atrophy even if you’re in great shape. Football players can hit the wall in a hurry, and it’s not pretty when it happens. I wish Brees a lot of luck, but it will be a surprise if he can play–and be effective–until age 45.

4. zoellner25 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:34 PM

why stop at 45? you can’t collect SS until 65 anyway. don’t retire early, big mistake.

5. antkowiak666 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:36 PM

uuummmmm…….NO!

6. therealraider says: Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM

at 35 years old a 45 yard pass is a hail mary for Drew Brees .. by 45 a 35 yard pass will be.

7. onbucky96 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM

Well yeah. If the Saints are dumb enough to give him $20million per season, why retire?

8. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM

Don’t laugh, maybe he’ll have a growth spurt in his late 30s.

9. eoyguy says: Jul 25, 2014 4:40 PM

When I was 36 I thought I would be able to do a lot of things for a long time. Now that I am 45, I realize how little I knew then and how fast you can go downhill. My wife will back me up on that! :-(
    And I have never been hit by a 300 pound lineman…

10. scrp2 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:40 PM

Top 5 QBs in the NFC conference:

1. Nick Foles
    2. Aaron Rodgers
    3. Cam Newton / Matt Ryan (tie)
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Carson Palmer

11. don444 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:42 PM

Just for the record, Drew Brees will no longer be the starting QB for the New Orleans Saints in week one of the 2024 NFL season for any of you actually dumb enough to embrace such a notion.

12. wiskybuck says: Jul 25, 2014 4:43 PM

Some things are not worth reporting.

13. bucsorbust says: Jul 25, 2014 4:48 PM

As a Bucs fan, I’d love that. Please do. Stay until an even 50, what the heck.

14. tacticaltonto says: Jul 25, 2014 4:49 PM

Not likely that he will play until 45, but does have great chance to play at least as long as Favre. He doesn’t take nearly as many hard hits as Favre did during his career, so as long as his arm stays strong enough (he’s never had a rocket arm) and accurate he should be productive with his quick release.

15. bonnovi says: Jul 25, 2014 5:10 PM

I’ll be honest, if he is playing at age 45 he’ll be pretty bad.

16. revelation123 says: Jul 25, 2014 5:17 PM

“I’d really like to keep playing until I’m 90, but age might catch up to me by the time I’m 85.”

17. abninf says: Jul 25, 2014 5:18 PM

He’ll get a chance to play against his old coach in Dallas.

18. channer81 says: Jul 25, 2014 5:20 PM

So basically he wants to be Steve Deberg and Vince Evans.

19. ilovefoolsball says: Jul 25, 2014 5:25 PM

scrp2 says:
    Jul 25, 2014 4:40 PM
    Top 5 QBs in the NFC conference:

1. Nick Foles
    2. Aaron Rodgers
    3. Cam Newton / Matt Ryan (tie)
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Carson Palmer
    ______

Well this was my shot of humor for the day!

20. mdd913 says: Jul 25, 2014 5:27 PM

onbucky96 says: Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM

—————————————————————-

Yeah, it’s real stupid to give your future Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning, NFL record-breaking QB less money than Joe Flacco.

21. mdd913 says: Jul 25, 2014 5:29 PM

therealraider says: Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM

——————————————————————–

….and he’ll still be a top 5 quarterback.

22. realfootballfan says: Jul 25, 2014 5:33 PM

These QBs are just throwing out numbers now. Brady said 40 and Peyton is almost 40, so Brees thought, I’ll one up them. I’ll say I’ll play until I’m 45. Phillip Rivers will say 50, and it will keep going, lol.

23. ttommytom says: Jul 25, 2014 5:37 PM

I’ve been 35 and 45 and there is no chance. None.

I don’t want to here the athlete thing as I was a world class athlete for most of my life…

24. cribbage12 says: Jul 25, 2014 5:45 PM

Ah like him a lot

25. vikesr4reel says: Jul 25, 2014 5:54 PM

Ohhhh
    Drew Brese is going to start playing again?
    Where has he been since Bountygate??
    Skol

26. tailgateheaven says: Jul 25, 2014 5:59 PM

I’d like to keep eating 4+ bowls of jambalaya, a 1/2 loaf of crusty bread, and a six pack of Abeita Beer in front of every Saints game too.

But my Dr., triglyceride level and liver will dictate that.

27. kev86 says: Jul 25, 2014 6:01 PM

Brees vs. Eli in the 2024 NFC Championship.

28. boltjolt says: Jul 25, 2014 6:10 PM

Lol, he already has taken too many hits to the head saying stuff like that. Bree’s is a selfish player and just wants to set records but he won’t be a starter if he is still in the NFL in his 40’s.

29. 4thqtrsaint says: Jul 25, 2014 6:14 PM

Lots of great comedy in these comments. Who knew jealousy was a source of comedy?

30. schmitty2 says: Jul 25, 2014 6:27 PM

In related news Tom Benson wants to own the Saints until is 110….only 5 more years to go.

31. snoqualmkanem says: Jul 25, 2014 6:38 PM

I think Dan Marino thought the same thing… friends and declining production changed his mind for him.

32. csbanter says: Jul 25, 2014 7:40 PM

Vinny Testervarde played into his 40s , and he wasn’t half the QB Breeds is..lol, one has to have a good offense line that goes without saying.

33. charger383 says: Jul 25, 2014 7:53 PM

Then he should learn to kick, George Blanda played till he was 48

34. mcmystery76 says: Jul 25, 2014 8:08 PM

All of this aside- how does signing Bailey open up Brees’ championship window? He’s not young and full of potential like Cooks, or firmly in his prime (the Saints hope atleast) like Byrd. He’s clearly on the wrong side of his prime and looked downright atrocious at times last year, and the Broncos eventually had to resort to using him in the slot.

35. philyeagles5 says: Jul 25, 2014 9:50 PM

I could see Brees lasting that long.

36. kingbrees9 says: Jul 25, 2014 10:44 PM

Mcmystery76 champ might be heading 4 retirement but the guy had a pro bowl year in 2012 and then has a serious foot injury which he fought hard to get back on the field when he was not ready . He’s healthy and angry now so even if he’s not the same a healthy champ is a elite # 2 corner or nickel corner and if he can’t he can play safety and we have good depth of hungry players at cornerback

37. tattooit says: Jul 25, 2014 10:51 PM

“Brees has seen quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Brett Favre remain productive into their late 30s ”

Funny you mentioned Favre instead of Brady considering Brady is a far superior player at that age.

38. pkrlvr says: Jul 25, 2014 10:54 PM

I hope he does keep playing awhile and 5 years from now I hope some scumbag DC pays some scumbag linebackers and defensive ends to take him out of the game just like his dirty team did to Favre in 09. Let him see how much longer he wants to play after that.

39. dbara43 says: Jul 26, 2014 3:54 AM

It will probably take him that long to beat the Seahawks.

40. blowtorch1964 says: Jul 26, 2014 10:45 AM

Don’t forget QB/P George Blanda, who retired from the NFL at age 49.

There is video on youtube of Brees at some cross fit facility doing punishing workouts. If he works that hard, he could last.

I’m 49, so I know exactly how the body breaks down after 40.

41. numberonesaintsfan says: Jul 26, 2014 11:10 AM

Saints fan,Bree’s fan, but let’s be real. If Drews lucky he might get a one year extension from the saints. If he plays beyond that, it will be with another team, likely for one disappointing year. Unless he’s willing to stay as an emergency backup/mentor with the saints he has zero chance of making it past 41-42

42. packfanaj12 says: Jul 30, 2014 4:02 PM

It’s possible, but I would not count on it, but why not hope and dream.